Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

With a battery that small (no disrespect) the drop off won't be an issue as you'll only have around 2kWh to put in at 90% SOC

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    With a battery that small (no disrespect) the drop off won't be an issue as you'll only have around 2kWh to put in at 90% SOC

True enough, even at 10kW it'll only need 12 mins

No top buffer in the Leaf though, so it'll drop off sharply as it approaches 100%

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Leaf24 came with 2.6kWh buffer, 21.4kWh usable from the word go. Has top and bottom buffer, 0.5kWh and 2.1kWh.

Leaf24 came with 2.6kWh buffer, 21.4kWh usable from the word go. Has top and bottom buffer, 0.5kWh and 2.1kWh.

Does it keep the top buffer as the battery degrades? I assumed it just ate the top buffer and then started eating into the usable range

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Does it keep the top buffer as the battery degrades?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fael

obi604 wrote: »
    2014 leaf here

Been a very long time since a I charged at a 50w Chademo

My range is limited so need to avail of every bit I can.

If I arrived at a Chademo charger with 80% battery and wanted a quick top up, would this work?

Or when it is at 80%, does it charge way slower?

As a basic rule charge with the battery as empty as possible. As in plan to arrive at a charger with 10-20% (depends on backup options if the charger is out of service). Fast charging will be much faster then.

As someone else said above, once you get above 80% it's about as fast as you would charge at home/Type 2.

In a similar vein, if you do a long run, it could be quicker to charge twice from say 20-60% instead of one stop for 20-100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

2021 62kWh SVE recent owner here.

I've had Leafs since 2015, started with a 24kWh, moved to a 40kWh, and now driving a 62kWh the last month.

Some changes from the 40kWh:

At last the bloody steering wheel is fully adjustable, both up and down as well as in and out. Only took them the ten years to get around to it!

Head unit is an inch bigger and more importantly far zippier to use. The new app is also a big improvement, doesn't seem to suffer from the backend reliability issues the previous ones did and it has far more functionality.

Regen is now a max of 35kW and kicks in far earlier. I've seen it regen approx 5kW when the car is at 99% charge. My long term (2500km) stats has me at a regen of almost 20% of used power.

In terms of range I've gone 300km @ 110kmh motor way driving with 4% left on arrival home.
    Typically I'd drive at 120kmh but did one journey to see what a reduction in speed would do.

Propilot, or what ever you call the semi autonomous driving thing is decent enough. Motorways and N roads are fine. It'll do some R roads but limited to how well they are kept.
    I was surprised at how nice it is to have the car do the steering for you. I won't say it makes driving a pleasure but it takes away some of the load on the driver. Every bit helps.

For some reason the rear view mirror can be flipped between a camera view and a normal mirror. It's distracting when in camera mode and I don't know why they bothered with that feature. It stays off.

Decent incremental upgrades all round, but ultimately it's still a leaf and nothing to write home about. Gets me from A to B safely and in some degree of comfort.

Hope it helps someone if they are considering one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I’m a month and about 1200km in to a leaf 40 SVE ownership ..it is the second car on the driveway and replaced an old estate that was on its last legs.

So far I’m impressed with it .. I’ve no real idea about it’s consumption but it’s there as a runabout .. dogs to beach, school run and nipping to the shops.

The wife now drives it more than the BMW PHEV we got last year.

The infotainment is a bit fiddly compared to the iDrive in the BMW .. I haven’t had much use out of the pro pilot yet.

It’s an A to B car and it really does it well with no fuss, in comfort and the Bose sound system is quite good

I’m delighted with it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

At last the bloody steering wheel is fully adjustable, both up and down as well as in and out. Only took them the ten years to get around to it!

Is that an Irish-sold model or UK or further afield? I thought only the LHDs had telescopic steering wheels but that, yes, it was introduced in the UK this year. I have a slightly older model (reg'd in Jan 2021) without the "intelligent rear view mirror" or telescopic wheel.

In terms of how I am getting on, I moved from a 40kWh, and I feel finally somewhat liberated from watching the battery plummet when on the motorway.

Otherwise, the main change from a 2019 SV is the SVE specs, rear USB ports, cornering LED fog lights, and the changed acceleration curve. It is faster to 100 yet slower to 20, so less wheelspins (however, my model has Dunlop Enasavers so will look forward to swapping them).

The LEAF is still a Goldilocks car in terms of size, cargo space, and being a true hatchback.

Is that an Irish-sold model or UK or further afield? I thought only the LHDs had telescopic steering wheels but that, yes, it was introduced in the UK this year. I have a slightly older model (reg'd in Jan 2021) without the "intelligent rear view mirror" or telescopic wheel.

In terms of how I am getting on, I moved from a 40kWh, and I feel finally somewhat liberated from watching the battery plummet when on the motorway.

Otherwise, the main change from a 2019 SV is the SVE specs, rear USB ports, cornering LED fog lights, and the changed acceleration curve. It is faster to 100 yet slower to 20, so less wheelspins (however, my model has Dunlop Enasavers so will look forward to swapping them).

The LEAF is still a Goldilocks car in terms of size, cargo space, and being a true hatchback.

No idea to be honest. Bought in Windsor Belgard if that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

No idea to be honest. Bought in Windsor Belgard if that helps

Seatbelt label might have the month on it to give an indication. Do you have the the USB-A and C ports up front?

In any case must be a MY21 if it has the LCD mirror function. Telescopic wheel is a decent add-on, finally, and a USB-C port helps. For the telescopic wheel I take it there is a lever on the left or right of the wheel rather than the old one underneath I have on a MY20, same as my older 2019 L40.

It has a USB C alright.

In any case must be a MY21 if it has the LCD mirror function. Telescopic wheel is a decent add-on, finally, and a USB-C port helps. For the telescopic wheel I take it there is a lever on the left or right of the wheel rather than the old one underneath I have on a MY20, same as my older 2019 L40.

The lever is underneath the column. Vaguely towards the left side afair.

Does anyone know how to tell which Leaf40s have ProPilot? There's a button on the steering wheel or something isn't there?

Looking at a 2018 Leaf40 Acenta, which says it has ACC and Lane assist, pretty sure that's different to ProPilot right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Does anyone know how to tell which Leaf40s have ProPilot? There's a button on the steering wheel or something isn't there?

Looking at a 2018 Leaf40 Acenta, which says it has ACC and Lane assist, pretty sure that's different to ProPilot right?

18LEAF-30-640x360.jpg

There will also be a steering assist button on the right hand side of the steering column if the car is equipped with ProPilot.

sh81722 wrote: »
    There will also be a steering assist button on the right hand side of the steering column if the car is equipped with ProPilot.

Thanks, looking at the photos I think the Leaf I was looking at doesn't have Pro Pilot

I seem to remember it was only the Tekna and up had the option of Pro Pilot

Thanks, looking at the photos I think the Leaf I was looking at doesn't have Pro Pilot

I seem to remember it was only the Tekna and up had the option of Pro Pilot

Also the 181 launch edition cars have Pro Pilot as standard.

sh81722 wrote: »
    Also the 181 launch edition cars have Pro Pilot as standard.

Yeah I also saw a launch edition at a good price, not sure about the silver/green colour though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Hi
    There is a new update for the Nissan Leaf car not sure what it does.

wush06 wrote: »
    Hi
    There is a new update for the Nissan Leaf car not sure what it does.

Yeah, no details around about it and it is very tricky to get installed. Mine is a constant reminder which fails to install even when parked up with handbrake on and wifi connected. There might be a scroll through screen I am missing. It seems a very minor infotainment update with no visual changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Yeah, no details around about it and it is very tricky to get installed. Mine is a constant reminder which fails to install even when parked up with handbrake on and wifi connected. There might be a scroll through screen I am missing. It seems a very minor infotainment update with no visual changes.

It installed no problem for me all in all took about 1 hour. Can’t see any noticeable difference to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

wush06 wrote: »
    It installed no problem for me all in all took about 1 hour. Can’t see any noticeable difference to the car.

is this for the newer leafs? i have a 2017 30kw acenta and its just recently showing driopped one bar. also tried to check if I have the battery software update but the dundalk nissan garage said no updates available on the last service however I query this as the range dropped dramaticially last winter!

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    is this for the newer leafs? i have a 2017 30kw acenta and its just recently showing driopped one bar. also tried to check if I have the battery software update but the dundalk nissan garage said no updates available on the last service however I query this as the range dropped dramaticially last winter!

Yes, it is an over the air update for newer LEAFs from around 191/192 upwards I think. For your car it has to be done at the dealer's, if it is not updated already. Just check online for the latest version for UK/IRL 2017 models. Real battery decline is calendar-based as well as kilometres driven, so it might have been due this first drop but worth checking.

Old post here (Aug 2019) covers it:
    There is a software update that will improve your SOH percentage, that would be my first port of call.
    4NR4C is the latest firmware version AFAIK
    I believe the formula for the adjusted SOH is 57%+(43% X SOH)
    In your case 57%+(43%X 86%) = 94% updated SOH with firmware update

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fael

gomamochi1 wrote: »

At risk of stating the obvious here, you are aware the range on all EV's drops in the winter? The range drops due to the battery having lower capacity in cold weather and more use of the heating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Is it possible to completely drain the 12v battery while parked up with drl's, ac and radio on? How long would it be safe to be like this?

I vaguely remember reading something that the leaf has an auto shut off feature to prevent this from happening?

It's a 2015 leaf if that matters.

Yes, Leaf of that era can have it's 12v battery drained like a traditional ICE, not sure how long but deffo happens

Is it possible to completely drain the 12v battery while parked up with drl's, ac and radio on? How long would it be safe to be like this?

I vaguely remember reading something that the leaf has an auto shut off feature to prevent this from happening?

It's a 2015 leaf if that matters.

I've been going on the 12V for a while without any issues. I didn't time it but it was somewhere between 30 mins and an hour

You're correct, the Leaf will power off automatically after 10 mins or so to protect the 12V

I'd suggest if you're worried, just turn the car fully on and that'll activate the DC-DC converter and charge up the 12v from the high voltage battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Ah OK... So if I'm driving and park up at a shop, set it in p, I can be there indefinitely? The converter looks after the 12v?

So the only case for concern would be if I turn it on in non driving mode, right?

Advertisement