Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ah OK... So if I'm driving and park up at a shop, set it in p, I can be there indefinitely? The converter looks after the 12v?

So the only case for concern would be if I turn it on in non driving mode, right?

Yeah AFAIK if you're in "driving" mode then the DC-DC should stay on

One of the advantages of an EV is that you can always keep the car "running" even ICE cars are required to turn their engines off.

The channel tunnel is a good example (if we ever get out that far again), you can have a nice air conditioned car while everyone else gets stuck with the stuffy train air

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    is this for the newer leafs? i have a 2017 30kw acenta and its just recently showing driopped one bar. also tried to check if I have the battery software update but the dundalk nissan garage said no updates available on the last service however I query this as the range dropped dramaticially last winter!

I'm also in a 30kW 2017 and came out this morning to 11 bars on the battery. 65k kms on the clock. Nearly all home charging for the past 18 months and battery report fine at last service 1 month ago. I don't know what charging was used by previous owner (fleet car).
    Should I be surprised?
    Last summer I was getting range of over 200kms, What should I expect to get on my 11 bars?
    TIA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd get the firmware on the Leaf checked out, I have a 162 30kW with 70k kms and at 92% SOH so it does not sound correct that you are at less than 85% with a newer car and less ODO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

I've a 151 L24 so it's not really the same, but I hit 11bars last year, yet still have either 86% or 87% SOC when measured a month or so ago. So in my car at least I hit 11 bars before I hit 85%. But I do have much higher mileage (approx. 120k kms) than you two.

The software issue that incorrectly reduces SOH on the Leaf is on the 30 model only.
    'tis funny you're at 86-87% SOH with a lost bar though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yeah, I knew the software issue didn't affect me, I was just talking in general about the "85% - Losing a Bar" thing. Even my garage were surprised I'd lost a bar when I wasn't at 85%. I don't mind too much, €120k kms for one bar isn't bad. What bothers me is the fact that the first bar is 15% and the rest are 7%-8%, the pedant in me hates that!

Stats in EVs are not linear and most annoying in SOC readings from the dash, pain in the hole alright

slave1 wrote: »
    Stats in EVs are not linear and most annoying in SOC readings from the dash, pain in the hole alright

Speaking of non-linear readings,I watched a video recently of the guy from Battery Life doing a test in a Renault Twingo and the thing died with over 10% SoC remaining and just 1km from a charger

Glad to see Renault are keeping up the traditions and not let the conversion to EVs get in the way of their dodgy electronics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm also in a 30kW 2017 and came out this morning to 11 bars on the battery. ...
    Last summer I was getting range of over 200kms, What should I expect to get on my 11 bars?

Absolutely nothing will have changed from yesterday to today. The battery didnt suddenly drop 15% of its capacity. Its a slow, gradual thing and whatever range you got yesterday you will get today.

jasonb wrote: »
    I've a 151 L24 so it's not really the same, but I hit 11bars last year, yet still have either 86% or 87% SOC when measured a month or so ago. So in my car at least I hit 11 bars before I hit 85%. But I do have much higher mileage (approx. 120k kms) than you two.
    slave1 wrote: »
    'tis funny you're at 86-87% SOH with a lost bar though?

The SOH moves up and down by several percentage points on an ongoing basis. You dropped below 85% and lost the bar and then it went back up above 85% (thats normal).... you dont get the bar back when it goes back above 85%.... the bars only go one direction... down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Do Nissan dealers usually have access to a master set of wheel lock keys?

Our Leaf is in for a service with Nissan today and they just rang me to say they can't find the wheel lock key so can't remove the nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

KCross wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing will have changed from yesterday to today. The battery didnt suddenly drop 15% of its capacity. Its a slow, gradual thing and whatever range you got yesterday you will get today.

The SOH moves up and down by several percentage points on an ongoing basis. You dropped below 85% and lost the bar and then it went back up above 85% (thats normal).... you dont get the bar back when it goes back above 85%.... the bars only go one direction... down.

Pretty sure we got our lost bar back for a few weeks when it initially disappeared. I seem to remember that happening. For reference, its a 132 Leaf with 11 bars. Currently around 84% SOH according to leafspy. And no real noticeable drop in range since we got it 5 years ago. Still does everything we need every day.

Has anyone heard of the couple that did the Mongol rally in a Leaf back in 2017?

https://pluginadventure.com/mongol-rally-2017-10000-miles/

I'd love to see some pictures or videos from it but there doesn't seem to be anything on YouTube or any blog posts

Does anyone know if there's a travel log anywhere and if it's possible to view it without interacting with the awfulness that is social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

wush06 wrote: »
    Hi
    There is a new update for the Nissan Leaf car not sure what it does.

Hmmm, nothing showing up for mine. Is the update bringing it in line with the one I already have installed or is it a new guy do you know?

Current version attached:

wush06 wrote: »
    Hi
    There is a new update for the Nissan Leaf car not sure what it does.

Hmmm, nothing showing up for mine. Is the update bringing it in line with the one I already have installed or is it a new guy do you know?

Current version attached:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Thinking of buying our first EV. Trying to convince the wife to get a Leaf. I was looking at 2018 upwards as I like the new shape. Was thinking of SV premiums due to the parking sensors that she wants on any car. She does a max of 100km a day so an electric is perfect for her needs.

I’ve got a couple of questions that you might be able to answer here.

Am I better off going new (dealer I spoke to will do a SV premium for €30675) or a 2018 model (haven’t spoken to anyone on these yet but approx €22k)

Are there any optional extra which you feel are “must have”.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Base spec is actually very good, last year got the base with cold pack. It's wasn't a need but more of a want. Last year couldn't justify the higher spec or even the 60kwh car for the money spent when there was other options although limited.

This year you should get good value from dealers, drive the hard bargain as there is more choice.

Thinking of buying our first EV. Trying to convince the wife to get a Leaf. I was looking at 2018 upwards as I like the new shape. Was thinking of SV premiums due to the parking sensors that she wants on any car. She does a max of 100km a day so an electric is perfect for her needs.

I’ve got a couple of questions that you might be able to answer here.

Am I better off going new (dealer I spoke to will do a SV premium for €30675) or a 2018 model (haven’t spoken to anyone on these yet but approx €22k)

Thanks

I would recommend buying a used car if you can get a good price

I feel like the Leaf isn't great value new, particularly since there are other options in the same price range that have better range, faster charging or better spec

However, as I've said a lot, if you can get a significant discount, or buy a used Leaf at a good price then it's an excellent car which will give you thousands of kilometres with no hassles

I would recommend buying a used car if you can get a good price

I feel like the Leaf isn't great value new, particularly since there are other options in the same price range that have better range, faster charging or better spec

However, as I've said a lot, if you can get a significant discount, or buy a used Leaf at a good price then it's an excellent car which will give you thousands of kilometres with no hassles

I’ve only started looking but anything else you’d recommend besides the leaf (needs to fit a child’s travel system in the boot so the Zoe is out).

Is there any major issue with depreciation when these start to lose battery power or is it prohibitively expensive when a battery needs changing

I’ve only started looking but anything else you’d recommend besides the leaf (needs to fit a child’s travel system in the boot so the Zoe is out).

Is there any major issue with depreciation when these start to lose battery power or is it prohibitively expensive when a battery needs changing

The Opel Corsa E and Peugeot e208 or e2008 are all good options is the same vehicle size

Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh is also another good option, they should all fit a child seat and a buggy no problem

The main cause of depreciation is still age. A car with a degraded battery will be worth less of course, but the Leaf comes with an 8 year battery warranty, so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

I think most Leafs from 2011 still have move of their battery capacity so that's a pretty good indicator of what's to come

Battery swaps are feasible, but not supported by Nissan unless it's a warranty replacement. There are independent companies that will do this but it's not a good decision financially since the car won't gain any value and it has insurance implications because it's a modification to the car

The Opel Corsa E and Peugeot e208 or e2008 are all good options is the same vehicle size

Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh is also another good option, they should all fit a child seat and a buggy no problem

The main cause of depreciation is still age. A car with a degraded battery will be worth less of course, but the Leaf comes with an 8 year battery warranty, so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

I think most Leafs from 2011 still have move of their battery capacity so that's a pretty good indicator of what's to come

Battery swaps are feasible, but not supported by Nissan unless it's a warranty replacement. There are independent companies that will do this but it's not a good decision financially since the car won't gain any value and it has insurance implications because it's a modification to the car

The corsa and the Peugeot would be the next segment down surely would they not?

Thanks for the battery info etc

• Advertisement

The corsa and the Peugeot would be the next segment down surely would they not?

Thanks for the battery info etc

I parked beside a Corsa E a while back and it's only slightly smaller than the Gen 1 Leaf, I'd say the E208 is in the same bracket

E2008 is quite a bit bigger being an SUV

I parked beside a Corsa E a while back and it's only slightly smaller than the Gen 1 Leaf, I'd say the E208 is in the same bracket

E2008 is quite a bit bigger being an SUV

I’ve just looked at the E2008, that could be a real contender

I’ve just looked at the E2008, that could be a real contender

It's a fine looking piece of kit for sure, more expensive and less efficient than the Leaf, but it's got a CCS plug with 100kW charging and IMO a better interior

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Private 2019 SVs and SV premiums going for 18000-21000 private there a few weeks back on Donedeal. I valued my own 2019 SV with parking sensors as 21500 private sale and Nissan dealer's price after I traded it in is about 2k more.

Also noteworthy that two months ago there were some 192-201 SV premiums 62kWH going for 30-33k EUR. Personally, for a second car I'd go for a 2020 SV premium (40kWh) or SV with parking sensors option and expect to pay about 23k after bargaining or less if private sale.

I was about to get that SV premium but held out for another one with LED headlights, which are a big plus for rural driving in winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

I have a 182 Nissan Leaf 40kWh, I managed to drain the 12v battery completely the other day. Not exactly sure what I did, but must have forgotten to turn it off overnight, so lights etc drained the 12 volt. No protection mechanism kicked in, I tried to start the car, and nothing at all would happen, no screen, no sign of life. I did not know quite what to do, and I called the Nissan 'help line', they were in fact very helpful and said someone would come in an hour or so. I decided to try a 12 v booster I had for another care on the 12 volt Leaf battery, and everything jumped to life. The guy called by Nissan (in UK I think the call was routed to) did turn up (in Cavan) about an hour or so after I called, with a recovery vehicle (which could not recover because it already had a van on it), but the guy was knowledgeable and helpful, and told me just to go for a drive and battery would charge up. It has been running fine since - but I was surprised to hear on this thread that there is some sort of protection mechanism to stop the 12 v discharging completly - that clearly did not work on my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No need to go for a drive as such, just have the car turned on and that will charge the 12V.

In an ICE you’d go for a drive to get the alternator spinning faster but not required in an EV.

Having said that, since you drained the 12V I would stick the 12V on a trickle charger for 24-48hrs to get it fully back to life otherwise it could die on you again shortly.

... but I was surprised to hear on this thread that there is some sort of protection mechanism to stop the 12 v discharging completly - that clearly did not work on my car.

I agree, I've read on other forums of Leaf's going 12v dead during the severe lockdowns.
    I trickled my Leaf 12v weekly throughout lockdown especially in the cold weather and no issues

I have a 182 Nissan Leaf 40kWh, I managed to drain the 12v battery completely the other day. Not exactly sure what I did, but must have forgotten to turn it off overnight, so lights etc drained the 12 volt. No protection mechanism kicked in, I tried to start the car, and nothing at all would happen, no screen, no sign of life. I did not know quite what to do, and I called the Nissan 'help line', they were in fact very helpful and said someone would come in an hour or so. I decided to try a 12 v booster I had for another care on the 12 volt Leaf battery, and everything jumped to life. The guy called by Nissan (in UK I think the call was routed to) did turn up (in Cavan) about an hour or so after I called, with a recovery vehicle (which could not recover because it already had a van on it), but the guy was knowledgeable and helpful, and told me just to go for a drive and battery would charge up. It has been running fine since - but I was surprised to hear on this thread that there is some sort of protection mechanism to stop the 12 v discharging completly - that clearly did not work on my car.

Actually I noticed a couple of days ago there seems to be a bug with the automatic headlights. I had the car off and set the headlights to auto. The lights came on and stayed on even though the car was off

Normally the headlights would switch off with the car when in auto, so if I hadn't noticed them reflecting off the wall of the house I might have left them on

Actually I noticed a couple of days ago there seems to be a bug with the automatic headlights. I had the car off and set the headlights to auto. The lights came on and stayed on even though the car was off

Normally the headlights would switch off with the car when in auto, so if I hadn't noticed them reflecting off the wall of the house I might have left them on

They not in follow mode? If you flash the lights when the car is off they'll stay on for a programmable amount of time to allow you get into your house with a bit of light.

• Advertisement

They not in follow mode? If you flash the lights when the car is off they'll stay on for a programmable amount of time to allow you get into your house with a bit of light.

Ah that must be it, I was expecting them to turn off fairly quickly

Must test them to see how long it takes to switch off

Advertisement