Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Had the same dilema 3 months ago. Still granny charging and guess I always will be.

No probs with preheating off granny lead.

Your going to be charging your car by let's say worst case of 2kw per hour.

10 hours charging will have increased it's charge by 20kwh.

Rough winter weather with heat maxed out (2014 24kwh Leaf), is giving us 100km/18kwh avg.

So, by this 10hr granny charge estimation, you should be worst-case replenishing it by 111km.

Try not to use extension leads, but if so, ensure they are as short as necessary and of good quality, and never in spool form when in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

I have been granny charging my Leaf 30 for the past two months and never had an issue. My daily commute is anything up to 100km,I only use public charging in supermarkets (free) or when parking in the city (in Limerick parking is free while charging). Otherwise granny charging using night electricity works well. Have no intention of installing the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

My understanding is that trickle charging vs fast is one of the factors in retaining battery health.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

In terms of battery degradation, there is no discernible difference between granny cable charging(2kW) and proper home charge point charging(7kW).

Where battery degradation kicks in is high power DC charging (50kW+).

So, no issues with battery degradation by using a granny cable.

In terms of granny cable charging there are negatives though...

• granny cable charging is less efficient. Could be as low as 80%(car dependent), versus ~95% on a proper charge point, so its costing you more to charge via granny cable but its so cheap anyway that doesnt really matter.
    • you need to be sure of the quality of your socket and regularly check it. Saying it has worked fine for the last 2 years doesnt mean it will work fine for the next 2yrs.... it will work, until it doesnt! Plenty examples of sockets melting. Check that the plug and socket is not hot when charging.
    • Watch extension leads. Buy the correctly rated leads and fully unwind them. They will melt if incorrectly used with a granny cable.
    • These are the reasons why its not recommended as a long term solution.

And I'm saying that as someone who used a granny cable for several months myself. Get the proper charge point and utilise the grant while its available as you will need it at some point and the grant will disappear. As others have pointed out you can get a second hand charge point and get it fitted all for the value of the grant, if cost is the issue.

i.e. zero (or little) cost to you, so no real reason not to do it and its just alot more convenient, safer and obviously 3 times faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I've been using a granny charger on the leaf for over 2 years but in saying that,it is 1.5gen with 79% SOH. Not much more than 16kw id imagine.

I dont use an extension cable & ensure the lead isn't coiled.

I have a genuine leaf granny & it has thermal protection built into the plug in a chip I think. My outside socket also has RCD protection. I check it occasionally as well.

I did get a zappi installed recently as we also have an ioniq so went for tethered type 2 as we were going to sell the leaf but its grand for running around in for my oh & pays for itself. He also has a diesel for work.

Our leaf is only 3.3 max onboard charger though so really not even worth buying the adapter for.

I have load balancing on the zappi so no issues when lots running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

have a 2014 Leaf and I do 99% of my charging at home. so hands up, my knowledge of public chargers is not great.

few days ago needed to use the Chademo. Drive up and there was a Jaguar already there using the CCS (this was on one of the ESB public chargers, 50kW job)

I swiped my card and all fine, recognises it etc. however the Chademo option was just grayed out, tried another couple of times and no luck.

are these ESB chargers limited to only charging one at a time? i.e. CCS or Chademo but not both at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

are these ESB chargers limited to only charging one at a time? i.e. CCS or Chademo but not both at once.

the older chargers, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭obi604

Christ. That’s basic enough. So anytime a Jag etc sees a Leaf etc charging by Chademo , or a leaf sees a Jag etc charging via CCS, may as well do a u turn ( for these older chargers)

any easy way to identify old v new ESB chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Partial

Questions about Pro Pilot:

Is the Park option a separate thing? Can’t seem to find it as an option on the Leaf brochure. Perhaps its amalgamated now?

Is it worth €1000 as an extra? Obviously depends but is it decent tech? The Tesla I test drove felt amazing with that kind of tech switched on. But I don’t to an awful lot of motorway driving (10 minute daily commute via M50)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

As far as I know, the Pro Pilot Park option is an option for the SVE. Have never tried it to.be honest, but decided not to pay for it on my new SVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Very interesting! The range on my Gen 2 Tekna is starting to bug me and have been considering moving it on but this could be a viable option as apart from the range the car is in great nick for a 142.

I see there is an Irish based team who are offering upgrades now: rangetherapy.org and looks like they have partnered with Muxsan too so should be very similiar to the upgrade in the video.

Looking at the options there and if one was to go for it they'd probably go the whole hog and wait till the 33kWh extender is available effectively adding 210km of range!

The only issue I'd have is it does seem pretty expensive and not sure the upgrade would add the same value paid @ €12172 inc VAT

I suppose it's a niche market and not many offering the service.

Not sure if they have a presence on boards or if anyone has got an upgrade yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Partial

Took the plunge and ordered an SVE today. For the lower budget, 0% finance makes such a difference, so hopefully the higher specs will make it all the more satisfying

Nice one @Partial , well done for going for it. The 0% is very tempting, isn't it? I ordered one a couple of months ago, and all going well I'm collecting it tomorrow!

So I'm having problems getting Nissan Connect up and running on my new L40. I've registered with https://ie.nissanconnect.eu/ but when I try to add a car to "My Garage" by entering the VIN, it says the VIN isn't supported. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Hi folks!

New to the forum and hoping for a bit of advice please. I used to drive a 2014 L24 but sold it as I was renting at the time and couldn't install a home charger, and public charge points were getting too busy to rely solely on them to charge.

I'm now looking at buying a 2018 L40 and very excited about it! I have my own place now so can get the charger installed (have applied for SEAI grant).

However it's been 3 years since I sold my L24 so I'm a bit out of the loop with latest updates.

Have a few questions you might be so kind to help with:

- anyone know a rough real world range for L40? Both on motorway and national roads? I would do an odd 180km round trip, mostly on motorway, which I'd love to know I'd comfortably get done without stopping!

- what's it like at public fast-charge points these days? Do you find yourself queueing to charge much?

- are the public fast chargers shared by all EV car users? Or are there different types for different makes of car? I've read that chademo is mainly (only?) used by Leaf drivers, is that true? And does that mean if a driver is at a charge point charging another make of vehicle (non-chademo) that I can also charge my leaf at the same time?

- is there a good app that is updated real-time with whether a chargers is in use or not? I remember having one but wasn't convinced it was reliable at the time.

Thanks in advance folks, apols for the long post. :) :)

Post edited by blarb on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Sorry I cant answer your question, but I was having the opposite problem. I have the app set up on the phone, was wondering about this site. My username and password don't seem to work when I try log on to it. I was expecting this to be a web version of the phone app, is this the case or is it something different?

Funnily enough, my username and password that work on the site don't work on the App. though I'd read somewhere that you have to add the vehicle on the site first, and then you can sign in to the App. I have to say, it's not clear cut or easy to do!

@Encrypted Pigeon So I got this working. Easy once I knew what to do (and I found out by ringing Nissan themselves).

I had to register on the Nissan Connect Serivces App on my phone (which seems to be a different username/password to the website). Once I created an account on the App on the phone, I could add my VIN in the App, and then sit in my car and pair the phone to the car, and then it said it was connected. It then sets up your "services" on the App, and after about an hour or so I was able to remotely turn on the heating etc., and it all seems to be working fine!

From what I can see, there is no connection at all between the Nissan Connect Services App and the ie.nissanconnect.eu website, they seem to be completely separate? Even after my phone is controlling my car, the My Garage section of the website is still empty.

It really isn't very clear which site or app you should be using, you find out through trial and error!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Can't stress the full unspooling of any extension leads when in use. I got a bad knock that took me out of action for a day from one.

The heat generated from someone using it coiled was enough to melt the insulation, I came along and decided to unwind it fully as you should. Connected to bare wires and luckily the contact was fleeting enough to just put me on my seat. That when I was 16, not today or yesterday. Now I plug extension leads out before extending them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Blarb, I've got a 161 L30. Usually 160km when fully charged. Now you're aiming for 33% more in the tank with an L40. I would however not generally be using A/C or driving over 100km/hr.

Thanks John! That's really helpful. I'd find it hard to convince my other half to stick at 100km on motorway (would probably find myself a bit impatient but could get used to it!)

Cheers

I just got a new L40 @blarb and I haven't used it much, but I reckon I'm getting about 200km range from it, obviously in the middle of winter, so it would be better in summer. That's including some motorway driving, but not lots, and probably at around 100kph on the motorway, not 120kph.

Thanks Jason. Good to have a realistic picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Quick question re: gen 2 Leaf.

Having owned a Gen 1 SVE, I know the difference between SV and SVE, but I notice a lot of different editions when it comes to the 'new' Leaf in the SV model.

SV Cold pack (just 4 heated seats and heated steering wheel??)

SV Premium edition (Bigger alloys, some have part leather, 360deg cam, parking sensors??)

SV Launch Edition (???)

Have I got the differences right?

Did I miss anything?

Edit: also, there was an N-Connecta version. Was that a UK release? If so, does it correspond with any Irish edition?

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone else having issues with the Nissan Connect App?

It's just cycling, not updating .

Tried logging out and in as Ireland also UK, but still no good.

Been like this for a few days now.

EDIT: and typical, as soon as I post, it starts working again.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Test drove a L40 yesterday and was so happy with it I put a deposit down, one thing I can't get used to though is the e-pedal the whole lift the foot to apply the brakes just didn't sit with me. Does anybody know is there a way of turning off the e-pedal or is it just something I'll need to get used to?

There's a button near the gear knob that turns on and off the e-Pedal. I've been driving my L40 a week and have been using the e-Pedal and am getting used to it now, but it's easily turned off if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

It should be off by default (at least it is for me). I'm still getting use to it, it really shines in start/stop situations like in towns with slow moving traffic etc. but outside of that I prefer the traditional accelerator / brake approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

You should try it for a while. Once you get used to it, it's brilliant, I leave it on all the time, although for some odd reason from time to time, when turning on the car, it forgets that I had it enabled when I turned off the car. Of course I don't notice until the car creeps when I lift off the accelerator, so I have to jump on the brake pedal (which I rarely ever press!) to avoid crashing!

Advertisement