Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Same story of the call with bad news from Nissan athlone

No production until March 2023. Offered refund but I said I'd mull it over the weekend. AFAIK they won't hold onto the deal or rates

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

First thing I did when I bought my leaf was install the nissan app, find out it was sh1te, delete it and install a 3rd party app called my leaf. Haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have that app too, but always thought that the Nissan App had to work for that app to work.

Will try that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That’s crappy news. When did you place your order?

mine was end of March at a Windsor dealership in Dublin. No emails from dealer. Will probably call them on Tuesday when I’m home.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'm told it's nissan ireland. I'd definitely call them. Salesperson likely shy about declaring the bad news.

Doubly sh1t as I've installed my charger which is as useful as a chocolate fireguard at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Remember the Nissan app is not a lifetime subscription. After a few years it expires and you have to resubscribe (at zero cost. App will just stop working and won't tell you why.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have no doubt its just the usual week of not working. This happens often.

I reinstalled the app in the last few months after I changed my Leaf, so I think it'll probably work again in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Never stopped working for me. Getting notifications daily re charging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

@veryangryman I'm thinking for this reason I'll be holding back on having the charger installed until after I've physically collected mine; whatever about what I was told about the June build and end of July delivery, until then there's just too much uncertainty.

These Leaf production cuts seem strange in one way because I'm not counting that many Leafs on the road - I've seen only but a handful of newly registered ones this year. The dealer did warn they were selling like hotcakes new but I've been pretty observant on these things (just what I'm physically seeing every day on the road) and would have thought the reason was most new EV buyers are simply rejecting the Leaf in favour of the ID3 and such - to back that up, the other EV threads are far more active and I've seen far more of those plus Teslas etc, so I thought the demand for the Leaf was much lower?

I'm sure you know this but just in case... if you want the €600 grant then no works can take place until approval received and you also need to be in possession of the car before you can get the grant

• Advertisement

I've just been updated by the dealer. My order is still going ahead, but July has become October. They also won't honour the price if it goes up and wouldn't rule out any further delays. On hearing that, I was ready to cancel the order, but the dealer said it would be best to wait and see because the 0% finance would not be offered again and the price would be checked at the time of delivery.

I'm going to consider my options and I might end up ordering from another brand. I was hoping to be in a new EV this summer and to sell the older Leaf in July as there was already interest in it for then. Now I will have to hold onto it and wait for whatever new EV first.

Stay Free

Supply is a right bind at the minute, if you jump to another brand you could well end up in the same supply issue, horrible time to be waiting on a new EV

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

I had mine installed before I had the car,

Just dont do the paperwork on the day of install.

True that supply times are an issue, but Nissan may well end up cancelling the order at a later stage, as they can't guarantee the car at all. So I have a bit of thinking to do while realising that any order I place now will mean I am waiting til 2023. Maybe I can put a deposit on a Model 3 as a hold-out. It's more than I would want to spend, but options are few.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There were twice as many leaf's sold so far this year than ID.3's!

The Leaf is still outselling the Model 3!

The big sellers so far this year are the ID.4, Ioniq 5 and EV6. The Leaf comes in at 4th in the table.

The table probably doesnt entirely reflect the market though as some cars are just not available as opposed to customers not buying them, but your point about Leaf not selling isnt true anway... plenty of new ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I'm in a right pickle of a situation over my order, dealership said it would be likely the new year for my Leaf [ordered end of March so have the 0% HP] and like you no guarantee on price, further delays or change in spec.

But i have already sold my old Leaf as i expected the new one in July, i now have no car.

I have seen talk that the Leaf production might not restart untill March 2023 and with dealerships unable/unwilling to give a solid delivery window i have been left in the wind.

The other option of a Niro seams to have sold out until next year, despite no delivery date or price and any other EV i might have been interested in have a similar 6-12 month wait at best

If i knew for sure I'd have a new Leaf in Jan id be happy to wait, but now I'm looking a carzone/donedeal in the chance something will pop up. I have even been thinking about a smaller car, Zoe,kona hell even a used twizy.

Work from home is not an option for me i need a car. Might just get an old ice junker 😞

What i find hard to swallow is i could get a new juke or qashqai quicker then a leaf and all 3 are made in the same factory and have semiconductors.

Higher margins on the ICE no doubt!

I wouldn't sell my car unless I had a solid delivery date confirmation. That's really unfortunate for you.

I think it's bad form for any manufacturer to renege on an agreed price. They should be willing to take a small haircut. Surely they build some fat into their prices for unexpected cost increases.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Does this leave me as the only one here then who's been called recently and assured that mine is still going ahead in June, with July delivery? Again, I ordered from Nissan Belgard in mid-March. Was warned during the call that it could still be cancelled or delayed beyond that, but would be notified instantly of that happening. Otherwise to assume the best if I don't hear further until July.

Staying positive but definitely not encouraging news from veryangryman, Ghost and Stealthirl. We all ordered an SVE in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Looking to buy a 142 Leaf, I do low mileage (200km per week). We have another ICE car so won't be stuck on longer journeys.

I know the range is not great but it suits me. I have a 142 Prius, I get 65mpg, but since the fuel hike it's very expensive to run.

Looking to sell it and buy a Leaf instead with the proceeds.

Am I mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OK so you are using 8.6 litres of petrol a week, even at €2.16 a litre that's only €18.62 a week. What's the cost of changing going to be?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Probably about €500.

Call it €20 per week, 25 weeks until payback. Then a saving of maybe €17 per week, €900 per year.

Given that my salary isn't that high, €900 is a fair chunk of change.

Hmmm...

Thanks for making me think more about the money aspect.

You'll also have lower tax and lower maintenance costs. If the range suits you comfortably and it's a small outlay, then go for it. 4 years ago, I went from paying an average of €600 per year per vehicle for our 2 car household. I did my own minor services, but even then I was spending well over €500 a year on consumables, not including tires or wipers. Now I only replace tires and wipers in the 5 or so years since we got rid of the petrol cars and replaced with 2nd hand Leaf 24s. In the short term, I only see used EVs going up in price, as has been the case for the past year.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Your petrol costs are below €20 a week even at all time highs and of course you won't be getting your electricity for free.

With one lightly used EV in the house it may not be worth switching to a night rate tariff, so you would be paying 25 or 30c +VAT per kWh, you'll be using at least 40kWh a week to do 200km. Possibly €15 of electricity a week, so you are saving what, 3 or 4 euro a week?

Then there's the unknown of taking on a secondhand car vs. the knowledge you have of the history of the car you own. There is a lot less to go wrong on an EV but if it does go wrong, it's going to cost big.

If you had an uneconomical ICE car it'd be a no-brainer but given that you own a Prius it's a closer call.

Are savings on tolls an issue for you?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Tolls aren't really an issue, last month's toll cost was €13. Usually it's €5 or less.

We do have a smart meter and already have a night rate, free elc on Saturdays etc.

Kinda marginal really I suppose. I know I can get more than I paid for my Prius C, but... I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Free electricity on Saturdays? Where is this deal! (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Similar. We have a 14 Leaf + an ICE.

A winner relative to the 2L petrol RAV4 it replaced.

It does a lot more mileage than its predecessor as it is the car of choice for all the weekend and evening runarounds. Is that a factor that could come in to play for you, by it also reducing mileage on your other ICE?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Is this an Electric Ireland thing where one weekend day a week is free.

• Advertisement

That's the one, free on Sat and night rate too with a 5% extra discount for something else. The smart meter dropped our lecky bill by a fair amount. Our house is 200 years old so every penny saved is a penny spent on booze and hookers... wait that's not right.

Advertisement