Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Soarer

People say they draw less power and are more efficient than the halogen bulbs.

I just think they look cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-energy-shortages-idUSKBN17K1MJ

" An electric car dealer with a Miami subsidiary is telling Cuba-based diplomats struggling with a gasoline shortage on the Communist-run Caribbean island that they should fret no longer.

The United States, which maintains a trade embargo on Cuba, licensed Premier Automotive Export to sell vehicles to non-state entities in Cuba, such as embassies and private companies, as part of detente under former president Barack Obama.

"We put together a special offer and are distributing the flier - a 2016 Nissan (7201.T) Leaf electric sedan, plus super charger, for $25,000, including shipping direct from Miami to Mariel Port," said John Felder, owner of Premier's Cayman Islands-based parent, Automotive Leasing and Sales Co...."

Excellent choice on his part:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance but I have an acenta so no LED lights, what is the point / benefit of them?

They're a lot sharper, brighter and clearer than halogens. Wife's Leaf has them... driving a car with halogens at night has become a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

For someone with no experience how hard and whats the cost if you dont mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Soarer wrote: »
    Shur I may as well keep this thread alive! ;)

My high beam replacement bulbs arrived this morning. Got them from Amazon.

You know you are not road legal anymore, don't you!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

grogi wrote: »
    Shur I may as well keep this thread alive! ;)

My high beam replacement bulbs arrived this morning. Got them from Amazon.

Fair concern. Soarer, I hope you're aware that your new LED high beams will blind the oncoming traffic! Make sure you'll switch to low beam when there is other traffic ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

He will only blind if headlight is not suitable for xenon's or LED. There is a marking on them to identify that. Light has to be focused with lense.

Looking at the picture looks like it isn't compatible, but I may be wrong. Light looks very dispersed

Why is that then?
    samih wrote: »
    Fair concern. Soarer, I hope you're aware that your new LED high beams will blind the oncoming traffic! Make sure you'll switch to low beam when there is other traffic ok.

Isn't that what you're supposed to do anyway?

Why is that then?

Isn't that what you're supposed to do anyway?

Each lamp is homologated with particular light source. You cannot simply switch from halogen to hid or led, if that wasn't tested.

That applies not only to low beam, but any lamp - high beam included.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sorry for my ignorance but I have an acenta so no LED lights, what is the point / benefit of them?

It's like the difference between halogen and xenon lights.
    Better light output, better light spread (factory fitted items).

• Advertisement

For someone with no experience how hard and whats the cost if you dont mind?

They are factory fitted.

Make sure you'll switch to low beam when there is other traffic ok.

Surely you do this with high beam halogens too ????
    I hate it when oncommers don't dip from their high beams!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-energy-shortages-idUSKBN17K1MJ

" An electric car dealer with a Miami subsidiary is telling Cuba-based diplomats struggling with a gasoline shortage on the Communist-run Caribbean island that they should fret no longer.

The United States, which maintains a trade embargo on Cuba, licensed Premier Automotive Export to sell vehicles to non-state entities in Cuba, such as embassies and private companies, as part of detente under former president Barack Obama.

"We put together a special offer and are distributing the flier - a 2016 Nissan (7201.T) Leaf electric sedan, plus super charger, for $25,000, including shipping direct from Miami to Mariel Port," said John Felder, owner of Premier's Cayman Islands-based parent, Automotive Leasing and Sales Co...."

Excellent choice on his part:D

Speaking of Cuba, there is an interesting English radio broadcast on Shortwave every night at 2am ,Frequency 6 Mhz depending on conditions can be quiet clear, Radio Habana Cuba. 2am to about 7 or 8am.

Thought I'd throw that in as a radio enthusiast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I used to listen to their Esperanto broadcasts.

Thought I'd throw that in as an alpha nerd :P :D

Malgraŭ kiu mi ne estas tre praktikita (praktikata?) :(

cros13 wrote: »
    I used to listen to their Esperanto broadcasts.

Thought I'd throw that in as an alpha nerd :P :D

Malgraŭ kiu mi ne estas tre praktikita (praktikata?) :(

You used to ? :D

kceire wrote: »
    Make sure you'll switch to low beam when there is other traffic ok.

Surely you do this with high beam halogens too ????
    I hate it when oncommers don't dip from their high beams!

You lot need to adjust your sarcasm detectors. Changing to non standard bulbs on the high beams have absolutely no change to blind oncoming traffic if you use the lights correctly.

You lot need to adjust your sarcasm detectors. Changing to non standard bulbs on the high beams have absolutely no change to blind oncoming traffic if you use the lights correctly.

Which still does not make them legal...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Which still does not make them legal...

When you say legal, do you mean it would ultimately fail NCT tests?
    If it passes NCT I dont see where it would have legal issues.

KCross wrote: »
    When you say legal, do you mean it would ultimately fail NCT tests?
    If it passes NCT I dont see where it would have legal issues.

Better hold on to the originals for 2019 then!

KCross wrote: »
    When you say legal, do you mean it would ultimately fail NCT tests? If it passes NCT I dont see where it would have legal issues.

We all know, NCT tests only small subset of things that might be wrong with a car. Passed NCT does not mean the car is road-legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For that reason alone I'd be wary modifying my cars. Nearly every new iteration of the NCT rules there's another thing that "newly" needs to be as originally fitted. Can't wait for the day this will wipe the smug off the faces of the people who deleted their DPF :(

Deleting a DPF and replacing your separate high beam bulbs with LEDs cannot really be compared. It's a visual recheck for the high beam bulbs anyway so I would almost take the risk with them if they actually improve the lights (of which jury is still out as designing a LED bulb that works well with a halogen reflector is not as easy as it sounds and more difficult than designing a HID bulb with high enough accuracy for the output to project properly in the same housing).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They don't actually test high beams for alignment from what I can tell from the NCT handbook. They merely test that the bulbs work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

AFAIR there were standards in regards to color temperature which may be an issue.

We all know, NCT tests only small subset of things that might be wrong with a car. Passed NCT does not mean the car is road-legal.

True. What I'm asking is, would the NCT fail you on it? Is it in there list of things to check?

If its not in their list where else would you get pulled up on it from a legal standpoint? I doubt traffic corps are checking it. It doesnt affect oncoming traffic as you should be on dip beams anyway.

I havent made any mods to my own car and dont plan to, just interested in the discussion of it being illegal and how/who/where that would be enforced! :)

Not sure about the legality, but they certainly brighten the road way better than the halogen.

Quick question for gen 1 Leaf owners.

Is the heater rubbish, or is my one not working properly?

Turned it on for the first time this morning, and even at max, I could barely hear the fan with hardly any heat coming out.

Turned it on for the first time this morning, and even at max, I could barely hear the fan with hardly any heat coming out.

I dont have the answer for you but I remember reading this thread recently which sounded similar. Might be worth a read as there were a few simple things to check
    https://speakev.com/threads/quandary-kill-my-2011-leaf-or-not.37329/

A trip to Nissan was ridiculous money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is the heater basically an electric kettle heating water, [ as opposed to the heat pump in the newer models] so may take time to warm up

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

The whole issue with having LED or Xenon lights on a non-LED/Xenon light compatible headlamp is light dispersion. For example I had an objective myself that my new or next car HAS to have either of them simply because night driving with LED and Xenon lights is just difference between night and day!

It will definitely be brighter for the driver versus standard halogen bulbs, however problem is that if not compatible headlamp is used the light from LED or/and Xenon is not focused (no clear cut lane where light is going). LED and Xenon lights need a specific lens so it gather the light source and shoots it at the road. If this not the case everyone in the traffic will be somewhat blinded by owner of these Aftermarket lights. Not the same effect as being blinded by Long Beam, but similar and potentially more annoying.

To know if your headlamp is compatible, at least on some cars if not all, there is a specific marking on it. I think there has to be an E letter or something like this. In Lithuania Police are able to stop anyone and fine on spot or worse if they see non-stardard Xenons or LEDs.

Advertisement