Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

It will only work if they have guaranteed daily access to a charging port with no queues, and at a reasonable cost, if buying a LEAF with a 10k EUR budget, in my opinion. They could enquire about getting a charge port installed in the apartment block as a first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

12v cabin heaters are without exception absolute rubbish, they put out a pathetic amount of heat if you could even call it that, so unfortunately not a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree, unless he has access to a home or work charger, other than some saving on maintenance costs, an EV will not be much cheaper to run than a small petrol car. In addition, on that budget he will only be able to afford a low range leaf which will really only work for short journeys. Im not advocating for ICEs over EVs but IMO until he has sorted out home /work charging stick with PT or get a cheap small ICE to tide him over.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,815 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whatever about cost, on hassle grounds alone he should forget about EVs unless he has guaranteed home charging any night he wants it, a few chargers in an apartment block is never going to guarantee that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mr chips

He's confirmed that there are workplace chargers, so that would be a big plus for him. Nothing at the apartment as yet, but as I said there are multiple public chargepoints within 1.5km of where they live, the nearest just 850m away, so I would expect that an evening charge should be easy enough to work out.

So how would say a 2012 Leaf stand up to being charged to 100% every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Work charging makes it more viable alright, but relying on public charging at all is not to be recommended. The local charge point could be in use regularly or broken down for weeks at a time. If he can charge at home, then the decision becomes easy.

If getting an older Leaf, it would be better to get a 2014 or newer model. They have a better battery chemistry and are much less likely to suffer the broken heater issue discussed on this page. Insurance for a first timer will be a lot easier if the car is younger than 10 years as a lot of insurers won't quote older cars.

Charging the car daily is fine. Also ideally the Leaf should have the 6.6kW OBC rather than the 3.3 version. Not a deal breaker, but the former charges twice as fast on L2 chargers (most home and slow public chargers).

Stay Free

Ive managed to get it booked in for a battery check so at least I'll see if there is anything that can be done under warranty. Just to pick up on your point re weak cells. Im lost when it comes to understanding electricity! The leapspy voltage histogram graph shows a max voltage difference of around 50mV when at rest and Ive seen it go as high as 155mV on the move. No idea what, if anything of value, those values tell?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

50 appears a lot, max I've seen on my Tesla is 7, I'll see have I any screenshot from when I had a Leaf

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

You're right, I just found a few screenshots I took in 2021 and the values ranged from 7mV to 14mV. So does readings of 50mV indicate a problem with weak cells or could it be something else?

Dunno, not that au fait with the significance being honest, just doesn't sound good

• Advertisement

I'll mention to garage although I'm not sure whether using leafspy is something they would appreciate

Just to follow up. Got the battery checked and surprise, surprise its fine! After hanging around for an age, I got presented with a printout saying battery had lost 3 bars but was otherwise healthy. So I know no more than the dash display already told me. I asked about the voltage variation and if this could be caused by weak cells but was told no way of knowing as they can't see behind top level health report. So it looks like I have to stick or twist with the car. Would love to hang on a bit longer and hopefully pick up a slightly more affordable used M3 but the ever decreasing range is becoming a pain to live with. Having said that the ever diminishing financial status is of even greater concern at present!! I may just have to wait until eldest flies the coup and I can consign the 7 seater to the history books.

While I was there I took a 2018 L40 for a spin. Wasn't too bad an experience, although it was so easy to spin the front wheels, which might be somewhat due to the shite already forgotten Chinese brand tyres. The dash screens are getting really dated looking now as well, they really should have upgraded the from the L24/30 models. The one pedal driving was a bit strange at first but you would get used to it pretty quickly. However I couldn't see myself dropping €27k on a 5 year old model with 106k on the clock (couldn't believe they were looking for €42k for a 2021 L60) Leafspy showed that battery at 88% SOH which was better than expected, certainly a lot better than the 71% of my 2 year older L30. In any case my experience with the L30 battery means that I wouldn't buy another Leaf unless it was an unmissable bargain which no car is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I wonder are you giving in too easily? I'd be pressing the idea that the battery is at 70% and you want a warranty claim. Car manufacturers can be like insurance companies when it comes to paying out.... they try to fob you off first to see if you give up easily and if you dig in and and keep hassling they will pay out eventually.... I think you need to dig it.

The warranty is clear enough... 70% and you are right on that.

They are just chancing it by giving you that nonsense report, which doesn't detail the SoH % ... I wonder why! 😉

I'll have another chat with him but he was pretty adamant there was no warranty issue to pursue as car had only lost 3 bars. I think I'll push the leafspy data harder this time although I doubt he knows too much about leafspy tbh.

BTW Ive just realised how ridiculous that nearly €43k price is for a 2021 SV premium L60 given that the new list price after grant is €42,300. Similarly paying €27k for a 5 year old L40 SV with 100k km on clock is crazy when new price is €33k. Either I'm completely out of touch with reality or there must be fair riggle room built into the pricing

You can buy a 2023 Tesla Model Y or a Niro EV for €46k, so €43k for a 2021 L60 is ridiculous alright.

I'll have another chat with him but he was pretty adamant there was no warranty issue to pursue as car had only lost 3 bars.

3 bars lost means its down a minimum of 15%+6.25%+6.25%=27.5% but could be as much as 33.75% as it could be just about to drop the 4th bar.

The warranty is 70% remaining so the warranty actually kicks in BEFORE that 4th bar disappears. You are right on that now, so he needs to acknowledge that warranty is in play here. As I said, dig in. Dont take no for an answer. If you get no satisfaction tell him you want to talk to Nissan Ireland and then state your case directly to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

I got a 182 L40 SVE in November for a lot less than that. Half the mileage too. There is plenty of wriggle room if you play it right.

A Leaf SV Premium with the 62kWh should not cost you more than 35k, and ideally 30k. Any more than that is inflationary fantasy money. There is a 2021 SVE 62kWH 5000km on DD for the last month for 34-35k EUR, private sale. Also a UK import on Adverts for 29k EUR. As a guide, for an 2021 SV premium 62kWh, pay no more than 33k from a dealer, and 31k private. Even that is generous.

Yes those prices seem more realistic. I hadn't been looking at Leaf prices but was amazed to see prices being charged at garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The Nissan capacity warranty is based on number of bars remaining (8 or less). The exact percentage as reported by leafspy doesn't matter, it varies a bit anyway, and won't even be visible on their diagnostics.

• Advertisement

So in your view there is no point pursuing a warranty claim with either dealer or Nissan if I still have 9 bars and leafspy is reporting 71.2% SOH even though the range has fallen off a cliff over last couple of weeks?

Unless there is an EV system fault indicated on the dash (like when there is a sufficiently large discrepency between the cells) Nissan can't/won't do anything if you still have 9 capacity bars showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I may as well raise it for potential Leaf buyers who plan on using the charging network.

Chademo chargers (the fast charger for Nissan Leafs) are beginning to be phased out worldwide. Why TF Nissan continued to use them baffles me. The CCS brand is being pushed (for comparison think of USBC chargers as a universal standard and CrApple finally being forced to adopt them).

Tbf to the dealer, he acknowledges that chances of success are slim but he said he will put through a goodwill claim to Nissan and see what happens. As I said the main issue is the unpredictable nature of the battery remaining % displayed in that a regularly made journey can take anything between 20% and 40% of battery so it's very difficult to have confidence in whether the displayed % remaining will be sufficient to complete a given journey.

That sounds more promising that I thought. Hope the outcome will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

We have known this for some time. Beggars belief they held onto CHAdeMO for the facelift Leaf when the writing was all over the wall. You can have a CCS installed in its place, but for most people driving the 40 Leaf, the fast charger will rarely be utilised. I find this to be the case in my 24 Leaf. Have used a fast charger less than 50 times in 5 years.

Stay Free

To be fair CHAdeMO is not being phased out, there is a slowdown in new CHAdeMO installs but very few CHAdeMOs being taken out of commission

I'm sure they'll drop CHAdeMO when the refresh CUV LEAF emerges in 2-3 years (or less?). I wonder will sales of LEAF become impacted now that FB is alive with discussions on CHAdoMO provision. For the moment, it is almost a privileged network as many of the fast 150kw chargers have both standards. Partly because of this, and the opportunity of the great migration of M3->MY, I sold my 62kWh to a dealership and grabbed a pre-refresh 2020 Model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I thought the warranty was on the 4th bar or 66.25%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭obi604

Have a 2014 Nissan Leaf. It has one of the 'foot pedal' parking brakes (where you press with your foot to engage)

It failed the NCT yesterday, the parking brake was essentially not pulling on the left had side according to the tester. Has an imbalance of 93% 😬

Will book it in today to be looked at.

Would anyone have any idea if this is a simple or complicated fix or more so the rough cost?

Advertisement