Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

They can mean the difference between a collision or not. A split second of distraction can ruin and take life. An emergency braking feature is worth having for the small chance you, or someone else might need it to intervene. It's worth getting it fixed if that is what the issue is.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

@...Ghost... & @Gerry are correct in what they say the XE doesn't have.

I had a 2015 XE which I sold in June 2019 for €9,700 with 12 bars and almost 140,000 km on it - great car, despite the very basic spec.

The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh which replaced it was like a spaceship in comparison!

Here's the spec I put up when advertising the Leaf for sale:

Fast DC Charging, 3.3.kW charger, Standard Charging cable, EVSE (Granny) Charging cable ,Air Conditioning, Alarm, Immobiliser, Remote Central Locking, 2 Keys, Keyless Entry, Radio, CD Player, Bluetooth, Aux, USB, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Front & Rear Electric Windows, 3x3point rear seat belts, Driver/Passenger/Front Side Air bags, Height adjustable drivers seat, Outside temperature meter, Traction control, Media Connection, ABS, ESP.

Not all XEs had Fast DC charging as it was an optional extra so worth checking if it has this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

well at least the xe has traction control! it still feels a bit slow to react though, I can light up the tyres in the wet.

OP, I would look around. I got a 14 sve with 6.6kw ac charging, so fully loaded, with 11bars and low miles ( and ditchfinder tyres ) for 7.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thanks everyone

I think this car has the fast charging, was mentioned in the ad.

I'm not too worried about stuff like leather or heated seats etc, it's gonna be for shorter journeys mostly so something reliable with most of the usual comforts are good enough for me.

The heat pump would be nice as a range extender but for what we're planning on using it for, I don't think that will matter too much.

Some of the UK clips I've looked at say that lower spec models didn't come with re-generative braking unless it was in the city eco mode. Is that the case with the XE trim Irish model?

I think I'll try to negotiate a few euros off the price if it's in good nick

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

First funny issue with my 2.5k auction leaf, the 12v completely died. I got it on a battery charger and as it came to life the errors were very funny. Pretty much every warning light was off and on. Luckily I knew the 12v is the source of all leaf problems (99% anyway) from my last leaf, so I ordered a new one on friday from micks garage and it is delivered today. After being charged up the 12v is working fine again but I'll change it anyway just to be sure.

The leaf is a 2011, and would you believe, it's still on the original Nissan battery with the part numbers listed! I'll probably use it as a UPS somewhere if it can still hold charge after I take it out of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

Hi All , hoping for some help here, I have a 2022 Leaf and as the title says the rear parking camera has stopped working , when I engage Reverse the camera no longer comes on , the rear view mirror camera works ok. Could I have inadvertently turned off the parking camera ? I have looked through all the settings and I cannot find anything . Settings-Camera- Camera settings doesnt show anything

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ask in Nissan leaf owners Ireland Facebook group or on the leaf thread here. Car is under warranty so book into dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Go to dealer, car is under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭chrisd2019

Make use of the warranty as you have it. Let the dealer explain after fixing what the issue was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

What's a reasonable price for a 2015 Leaf? Have a UK import Acenta spec I want to sell, 11 bars on a 24kw with 134,000 kilometres. NCT'd to May 2025.

• Advertisement

UK acenta is exact same as Irish SV model. 6-8k is the price range at the moment for a good example. There's a garage selling a 2015 Tekna with half the mileage for less money. Last year it would have been double that.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

When I passed on my 2015 12-bar Tekna with 55000 km to my daughter it was 'valued' at 11500..

Its still got 12 bars and only 58000 KM a year later, and its showing an 8,800 value...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Left Dublin today with 255km - almost a full battery for the usual drive of 85km (Kells area). Down to 120km on arrival with B mode active throughout and no A/C used as it was already comfortable inside, and finally my speed on the M3 was mostly 110kph. Although the Leaf does haemhorrage range at motorway speeds, this feels like very poor efficiency today with 135km used.

I've got one. Put it up for sale and see who bites.

Stay Free

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anyone had Alarm go off for not reason over and over? Started last night and went off every hour overnight, no error message, lights all normal, keys both seem to have good batteries, no 12V errors, re-closed all doors, boot and bonnet. Doesn’t appear to be anything else can do except go to dealer? 212 leaf, doesn’t appear to have internal motion sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

I have a 221 Leaf and that happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Alarm kept going off for no reason, parked in my driveway. I disabled the internal motion sensor overnight in the hopes it wouldn't happen in the early hours and wake everyone. It's been fine ever since, even with the internal motion sensor back on again. I just chalked it up to one of those things, though clearly if it starts happening again I'd be bringing it to a garage.

many thanks, worn out trying to find internal motion sensor switch! is it the unmarked button where a sunglasses holder would be? It’s not in our manual or diagrams and gave no reaction when I tried it last night and has no click to it, like it’s not a button. Held it in for 5s. The fact it started happening at 11pm wasn’t ideal alright for us! Cleared car and left it unlocked in the end.

went through everything at first light and have re enabled alarm now so will see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yeah, it is that button in the ceiling, like you I couldn't find it in the manual either, but remembered it from my previous 2015 Leaf. I googled it to make sure at the time, but from what I remember, you basically turn off the engine while holding the button, and the red "padlock" light on the dash should start flashing quickly. That means it's disabled, and when you lock the door with the keyfob when you get out, you get a louder beep than normal, to warn you the internal sensor is disabled. It's something along those lines anyhow, I used google to get the exact procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

I had this happening in a new enough vehicle a few years ago, driving me crazy for a few days.

I discovered a little spider was coming out around the sensor.

• Advertisement

I’m wondering is that it, can’t see anything but not a beep from the car all day and just started happening again at similar time to last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Finding some conflicting info so I thought I would ask here...

2017 leaf is first or second generation?

Life expectancy is 10 years? 15? 20?

100k miles? 150k? 200k?

Battery is not liquid cooled and therefore will last less time than most counterparts?

Irish weather is relatively cool and therefore friendly to EVs?

Usage and charging patterns affect longevity so battery meter should be in line with expectation for age. How many bars would you expect to see on this car?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My wife's 2016 Leaf 24kWh still has 11 bars with similar mileage so I wouldn't expect less from a car of similar age

There's a whole range of factors that affect battery life including age, temperature, number of charging cycles, number of fast charging cycles and how long the battery has been left at 100% without being discharged

So the question of how long it'll last kind of depends on how you use it. If you're driving it to it's max range every day and only fast charging the battery probably won't last as long as a car that is only driven to the shops and charged twice a week

How long it'll last kind of depends on what you need the car for. If you're regularly driving 100km+ then you're probably going to get less than 5 years out of the car

If you just need to drive 20km to the shops and back then the car should die sometime around the year 2100 (I'm exaggerating but you get the idea 😁)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Leaf batteries really do last ages. And the cars are well put together too,

In January we sold our 2016 30kwh leaf to a friend. It had 10 bars and 170,000km on it at the time.

He is driving it 120km a day (110km of that on motorway) on his commute since then and told me he has done about 5000km since and it still had 10 bars and he thinks he got the bargain of the century with the amount of diesel its saving him. His job has work charging but they have a tird party installed it so they charge for using it, so he doesnt bother with it and only charges at home.

Last winter i was regularly doing a 130km trip mostly on motorway in it and still had about 10% or more left after that trip. More in the summer. So it has a fairly good range still.

Im kind of sorry we sold it because i thought we could get away with having only one car but I have found that we really do need two cars. If he would sell it back to me id happily buy it back at the same price he paid for it.

We charged it to 100% every single night from the house though. Only nights it wasnt charged to 100% would be if we were on holidays or just forgot to plug it in, but generally it was always sitting there at 100% in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

141 24kWh. 120k on clock 11bars.

Probably 200km/week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

152 24kw 186k km & i think 10 bars.i must recheck soh but I think 76%

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Not sure how to read it. Is it 10 bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

Nissan started selling 30 kwh leafs (second generation)in 2016 but continued to sell 24 kwh leafs(first generation)until 2018.

So a 2017 could be either, the only way to be sure is to check the sticker on the pillar on the drivers door and check the weight.

A 24 kwh car weighs in at 1945 kilos and a 30 kwh at 1970 kilos, some car dealers won't know this.

Our leaf is 8 years old with over 130 thousand kilometres on the clock and 11 bars and running well.

I'd expect at least 11 bars on a 2017 leaf unless it has big milage

• Advertisement

The 24kWh is considered first gen. Some people consider the late 2013 model with newer battery chemistry to be gen 1.5, but really the 30kWh is gen 1.5. Gen 2 is the 2018 new shape Leaf.

Life expectancy is relative to one's needs. My 9 year old has 10 bars left and is still used daily. Has about 100k klms on it. It could be used in my household easily for another 5 years at which point I would expect 7-8 bars remaining, but I want to upgrade in the next year or so.

Liquid cooled is not really necessary for the 24/30 Leaf. It is mainly locally used and rarely fast charged. Regular fast charges would obviously hurt the battery. The reason it will last less than other EVs is because the range is so small anyway, any loss is noticed and at 50% loss, its no much more useful than for a school run and a trip to the shops.

Irish weather is ideal for EVs, yes.

As above, fast charging will hurt, especially if done a couple of time on a longer journey. I would expect your car will drop to 11 bars before the end of the year. You use a Bluetooth OBD2 connector with Leafspy App to sho you actual battery health percentage. I think the first bar drops at 82% and from there, the losses are linear.

The full 12 bars are there. Loo, at the outer ones for SOH state of health. The inner (larger) bars represent how much charge is in the battery, so 8 of 12 is about 66% of the remaining battery capacity.

Stay Free

Advertisement