Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

The search function hasn't brought up anything, hence this post.

I'm about to buy a Leaf 40 as my first EV coming from a 16-year old diesel, and while checking if there's any recalls I should be worried about found there's a worldwide safety related one for a fault in the vehicle control module software. I guess (hope!) existing owners would have heard from Nissan Ireland by now, but prospective buyers like me might not have a clue.

Here's more details on the EU alert: Safety Gate: the EU rapid alert system for dangerous non-food products (europa.eu)

And a better explained version from the US: R23A6 Nissan Technical Service Bulletin (tsbsearch.com)

p.s.: yes, I know about the demise of chademo, poor battery managament and renault zoe ;)

More from the RSA

------------------------

Nissan Ireland Limited recalls certain Nissan Leaf vehicles

5 October 2023

Nissan Ireland Limited is carrying out a voluntary recall of certain Nissan Leaf vehicles.

A safety issue has been identified whereby in the course of internal quality control, Nissan has identified a potential malfunction that could affect the vehicle control module (VCM). In certain driving conditions, deactivation of the cruise control could be followed by sudden and unintentional acceleration. This could increase the risk of an accident.

There are 4,213 vehicles affected in the Republic of Ireland that were produced between 17 December 2017 and 30 May 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm sure affected customers will be contacted, or can contact Nissan directly with the VIN/Reg

p.s.: yes, I know about the demise of chademo, poor battery managament and renault zoe ;)

Glad you did your research 😂

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭fafy

Can someone remind me, what adaptor, will allow one charge a Nissan Leaf 2016, with a Chademo socket from my CCS home EV chargepoint

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm going to assume you mean you have a type 2 charge point at home it would still be very unusual to have a home CCS charger. Does your home charge point have a socket or a cable?

If it's a socket you can buy a type 1 to type 2 cable, if it's got a cable attached you need an adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭fafy

Ya, i have a standard type 2 charger, i thought they were called CCS.

Its the adaptor is what i mean, i looked them up, but unclear on which adaptor to put on it, to charge a Leaf with a Chademo connection

The old shape Nissan Leaf uses a type 1 connection. CHAdeMO is the huge connection for the fast chargers. CCS fast chargers are standard in most other EVs. The new shape Leaf is also CHAdeMO but for home charging, the AC connector is a type 2. If your home charger is type 2 and your Leaf is the old shape, then you need this. It's the one I use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09DBNZKQ9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I know above was a misunderstanding, but funnily enough the CCS charging looks to be happening soon in a form of a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter:

https://youtu.be/5ZcSonzRW-U?si=MyxJIy5I9IJiADbm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭obi604

in regard to the 40 kwh leaf, how many KM would you get on a motorway from worst to dial conditions?

I am thinking something like, leave at 100%.

Do 120kph on a good day, may get 150 km until it gets to 10% battery

Do 120kph on a bad day, may get 100 km until it gets to 10% battery

does this sound about right?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If Nissan really cared about their customers, they'd make an OEM version of this. It's great to see an option out there hopefully it can get a CE mark for import

• Advertisement

Got a question for long-term Leaf 40 owners. What constitutes a healthy battery in the context of age + mileage?

As a Leaf 40 noob (literally, 3rd day of owning one), this is what I see in LeafSpy at 3 years + 45kkm traveled.

• State of health (SOH): 93.75% (~37.5kWh total capacity)
    • Average cell imbalance: 10mV
    • 80 quick charges, 457 L1/L2 charges

Looks to be in decent enough shape, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I've had mine just under 2 years but I've clocked up 82k km. Don't have leaf spy but there's no noticeable drop in range. Most days charging from around 20% to full.

I suspect I'll have no worries about battery health for a long time yet.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Our 181 reg at 76k and 3y 3m was at 91%. It was dropping steadily every 3 months for the first couple of years but then started to stabilise after hitting 92%.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Connected LeafSpy pro to FILs 192 40Kwh leaf and found one cell with a 120mV imbalance. Had similar shenanigans in ID.3 with 3x weak cells which were replaced under warranty. What ab a 4.5 yo leaf? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The SoH is still quite good at 90%.

Did he try charging to 100% to allow balancing?

Does the range drop like a stone as he goes below 30% or so?

I would take the SoC down as close to 0% as you can and then up to 100% and then back down to <10% again and then take some new readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Out of interest how can you be sure that only one cell has an imbalance?

Is the car stationery at that reading? In my Leaf the leafspy reported cell imbalance can exceed 400mV when car is under acceleration or climbing an incline but reduce to as low as 20mV while stationery.

He charged a few times but its the 1st time he's using Leaf spy Pro. Ot sure ab the drop in range but he did mention that it was lower than expected. TBH very similar to the ID.3 I had:)

The car was stationary. You can see it from the graph, cell 11 is way down on voltage when compared to the rest of the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

One thing you could try is to drive the car with with a low SOC and leafspy running. I have found that when the car is put in park mode in those circumstances Leafspy, at the bottom of the earlier attached screen, will either report 'All cells ok' or identify any weak cells.

I dont know how reliable this report is as on my car it interchanges between all cells ok and randomly listing out weak cells (could be 4 or anything up to 8 cells).

As a matter of interest can anyone tell me what the blue lines in the above Leafspy screen shot signify?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Any Idea whats wrong?

So I went to turn on the car and it died. I jump started it. I got an error of 'i-key system fault', if I try to turn the car off I get an error saying 'when parked apply parking break' but it restarts immediately to the I-key error. I bought a new 12 volt battery and same fault, jumped that and no change. I cant charge the main battery either as the only way to turn the car off at present is to unplug the 12 volt battery though the main battery is fairly low.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Anyone got any idea of a reasonable price on a 211 62kWh SVE Leaf? 45k km on the clock.

Selling, not buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Should sell at €18K-€18.5K if it’s in good shape, FSH etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

€44k new so at least 50% off that as its 3yrs old. How quickly it sells will the be down to how far below that you price it.

Best option is look at DoneDeal and see what equivalent Leaf's are asking and price yourself at the lower end to move it, as there will be alot of dreamer prices in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭veryangryman

My 62V leaf only charges upto 60% or 180km when charged overnight for the 9 cheap hours.

Should one be expecting more from this and if so, what to check?

62kWh, rather than 62V. I think it is less than 60kWh useable battery.

Sounds about right. Assuming you're not charging from empty, your OBC will take 6kWh, but will average about 4.5kW/h = ~40.5kWh which is close to the 60% you say.

My battery is 50kWh and I only allow for 7 hours to charge overnight, so if my battery is below 30% it probably won't be full when I am leaving. I tend to plug in when below 50% during a working week.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

I got my LEAF (30kWh) serviced at a different Nissan dealer this time (Dublin vs rural) as it was more convenient. However I got a big list back of "Immediate attention" items and I am wondering about the pricing of a couple of them:

1. €106 for brake fluid replacement. I got billed €15 for one liter 18 months ago and labour was included in the service charge of €140, so €106 seems very high. I assume there isn't multi liters of brake fluid in the car?
    2. €134 for coolant / antifreeze replacement ("age of coolant indicates it is time for a change"). When I queried this item (amongst others) he claimed this one was more important especially for electric cars, as they use coolant for cooling the batteries.... :-D I had to educate him on the lack of any thermal management in the LEAF's HV battery.. So this didn't inspire confidence...

Are they crazy prices?

The list also had suspension wishbone replacement and 4 wheel alignment after for €430 and €88, which I am planning to get done, hopefully that's more normal dealer prices?

On point 1, there is a difference between topping up and replacing. The latter requires bleeding the system and refilling.

On point 2, I would go somewhere they know what they're doing.

On point 3, seek second opinion unless you know the job needs doing.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So they put a few mls of brake fluid in and charged him €15 for a litre?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement