Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

revileandy wrote: »
    Hi All,

Can I ask any first gen leaf owners, models at least 5 years old, what sort of range you get today on a full charge? I know this will depend on a number of factors, driving style, battery condition etc. Just trying to get an average.

I'm thinking a first gen leaf could be a good option for my commute, it's an 80km roundtrip mostly 40% M1, 40% M50 and some smaller roads rounding off the trip.

I have two charge points close to my job but I'd like to be able to do the trip in one go.

Any info appreciated.

I'd say 80km would be on the limit, especially with the motorway driving. The motorway stuff really is kryptonite to the Leaf.
    It's good that it's 80kms round trip though, and there's chargepoints near your work. If in doubt, a quick 10 minute squirt at the Chademo would get you home.
    Or reduce your speed a bit on the motorway.
    Either way, I'd say go for it. The fact that you don't have to stop during your commute is a big plus.

thanks for that, what are the markers on gen 1.5 leaf to distinguish it from the earlier model?

There are a few.
    Eco button on the dash.
    Dedicated "Heat" button on the centre console.
    Other stuff too that I can't remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

thanks for that, what are the markers on gen 1.5 leaf to distinguish it from the earlier model?

Eco button on steering wheel is the easiest one to spot.

There are also:
    • different buttons on the A/C console - Mk1.5 has Heat & A/C buttons
    • bigger boot
    • typically black interior in Mk1.5

I always thought that the MK1.5 had different drive mode selector arrangement than Mk1. Parking brake is in different place too.

That's Mk1.5 leaf:

leaf-design-interior-rhd.jpg.ximg.l_full_m.smart.jpg

Nissan-Leaf-2014-1600-52.jpg

That's the first gen:

nissan-leaf-interior-1.jpg

nissan-leaf-interior-7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

thanks lads this is all good stuff! I can charge at work if needs be but wouldn't like to bank on it as the spots are not guaranteed.

I'd have no problem sticking to a lower speed limit either if it meant I had no petrol bills and better range!

Had a Prius previously for 4 years, super reliable car.

Go For a 2013 (131) reg Leaf with updated battery and heat pump, you wouldn't regret it ! Some 131 original gens would have also been registered as 131 so watch out.

A 30 Kwh Leaf would be better again if money can stretch, check out U.K cars but be careful there is no battery lease involved, in the U.K the battery can be leased or not so be sure to check, and that's on both 24 and 30 Kwh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

One other check - the A/C button will be left of centre in the centre console rather than right of centre (in the gen 1.0).

Can't argue with what Mad Lad said about sourcing a 2013. However, it can be a hell of a ongoing trawl - trying to find a gen 1.5 2013 - so be prepared to put in the research (then again, you might just get lucky). Dealers and sometimes private sellers are often clueless - so you have to do the investigative work yourself based on photos and questioning.

Some Original leafs loose a capacity bar by 60,000 kms, a lad here in work with a 2012 lost his by 60,000 kms and I'm still around 95-96% at 65,500 Kms in my 2015, granted there's also a 3 year age gap and time itself has an effect on battery life.

The updated Gen also tolerates a lot more fast charging but I don't think it's fully down to this either, the updated Gen battery is just much better in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Some Original leafs loose a capacity bar by 60,000 kms, a lad here in work with a 2012 lost his by 60,000 kms and I'm still around 95-96% at 65,500 Kms in my 2015, granted there's also a 3 year age gap and time itself has an effect on battery life.

The updated Gen also tolerates a lot more fast charging but I don't think it's fully down to this either, the updated Gen battery is just much better in general.

We all know what a fig leaf is, we now have the concept of a virgin leaf, one that has all 12 bars:)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Lads, I ordered these T10 6000K LEDs for the interior dome lights of my car. I think they might do the number plates too, but I'm not sure. By not sure, I'm too lazy at the minute to check! I was hoping they'd fit the other interior lights too, but they don't.

Anyways, they make a huge difference to the interior brightness, and the installation was so easy even I was able for it!

Does anyone want a pair? I've 4 pairs left over. Throw me a couple of euro to cover the postage and envelope, and I'll send them on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Soarer wrote: »
    Lads, I ordered these T10 6000K LEDs for the interior dome lights of my car. I think they might do the number plates too, but I'm not sure. By not sure, I'm too lazy at the minute to check! I was hoping they'd fit the other interior lights too, but they don't.

Anyways, they make a huge difference to the interior brightness, and the installation was so easy even I was able for it!

Does anyone want a pair? I've 4 pairs left over. Throw me a couple of euro to cover the postage and envelope, and I'll send them on.

How many does the interior dome light require?
    I bought the LED strip by it didn't fit in.

If they fit my internal dome light I'll buy some from you.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    How many does the interior dome light require?
    I bought the LED strip by it didn't fit in.

If they fit my internal dome light I'll buy some from you.

One on each side.

The "door/on/off" bulb is a different one! :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

One on each side.

The "door/on/off" bulb is a different one! :mad:

Agh right. They are LED already in the Gen2 model.
    The door/on/off light is a halogen one on mine so must check it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I must look into how best to supply the courtesy light feed to the dash buttons. It's a little annoying that the fuel cap button is not lit up when the power off button is pressed. The flap won't open when the power is on and the buttons are illuminated then. Minor design fault.

Can anyone point me towards a bluetooth dongle that will work with a gen.1 Leaf, and an iPhone 6S?

Can anyone point me towards a bluetooth dongle that will work with a gen.1 Leaf, and an iPhone 6S?

I just checked Leafspy in the app store and it says the following.

"support for six bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters.

-LElink
    -H380
    -Viecar
    -Carista
    -Kiwi 3 (by PLX)
    -Vgate "

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

One more Leaf stolen. 13 reg. From Maynooth. This time key was fished through the pigeon hole

My GoM really is messed up.

Pulled in to the FCP just there with 8km showing. Plugged in, and it said 20%.

I'm now at 50% showing on the charger, and 42kms on the GoM.

So if 20% is showing 8km, how is 50% showing 42kms?

I wonder if I ran the battery to near empty, would it sort it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

My GoM really is messed up.

Pulled in to the FCP just there with 8km showing. Plugged in, and it said 20%.

I'm now at 50% showing on the charger, and 42kms on the GoM.

So if 20% is showing 8km, how is 50% showing 42kms?

I wonder if I ran the battery to near empty, would it sort it out?
    Let's start from the top: How many kilometers have you been able to drive on the full battery and what is the average consumption as reported in the instrument cluster?

Your figures don't make much sense. Our 24 kWh Leaf normally reports around 140-160 km on GOM after a full charge and typically the car can be driven around 100-120 km before the very low battery charge is shown. When the -- shows in the instrument cluster (when < 6 percent is indicated) the charger reports that there is 1-8 percent of charge left depending how close we have been running out of juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Oh yes, I forgot that yours is the early model with not battery percent displayed and I've heard the GOM really is a "GOM" on those. Probably the best is to try to get to battery to a very low battery level, then SCP it to absolutely full to let the car to learn the current condition of the battery pack. If you're anywhere close to Leixlip you're welcome to call in and I can take a look at what the LeafSpy says about your battery condition.

Cheers samih.

Yeah, that's my plan once I get my home/work chargers installed. I can't let it run to almost empty, and then leave the window open all night trying to use the granny cable!

• Advertisement

Let the GoM get to --- this evening and plugged in the chademo. Charger read 12%! Don't know how many more kms I'd have gotten out of her. Surely there's another 10 or 15 anyway.

I'm here less than 10 minutes at this stage. The percentage has gone up from 12% to 38%, but the range is only up to 25kms!

Stupid thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm here less than 10 minutes at this stage. The percentage has gone up from 12% to 38%, but the range is only up to 25kms!

Stupid thing.

I think this is the main reason I wouldn't buy a Gen 1 Leaf if I could help it. To rely on the gom is.....well, unreliable. In my Gen 1.5, I don't even look at the gom, I only look at percentage and I class every 1 percent as 1 kilometer.

You still bought the right car and got a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

You can get meters for the Gen1s that plug into the OBD2 port and give you a state of charge reading and a more accurate GOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GoM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

NIMAN wrote: »
    GoM?

Guess-o-meter.

Evening all.

After getting my lovely Rolec installed last week, all range concerns have disappeared!
    Being able to plug in every evening, tell the timer that I'll be leaving at 8, and forget all about it is a great ease after a few weeks of running the granny cable through the playroom window!

I'm after getting so brave that I ran the battery to completely flat this evening. Drove around until I got the --- displayed. Drove around hard for another few kms, then pulled into our estate. Drove hard up and down in front of the house until the turtle showed up. You really don't have much left once he shows up!
    Parked up outside the house, left the car in drive, put my left foot on the brake, and pulsed the accelerator a few times. Before I knew it, the car went into neutral and she was dead.
    I took note of the current reading from my charger and plugged her in. Come the morning, I'll note the readout again and that should give me a fairly good idea of battery capacity.
    I'm also hoping that it might recalibrate the GoM, or maybe give back a bit more capacity from lazy cells.

Shur we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The neighbours just nodded their heads. It's just Soarer.

Water John wrote: »
    The neighbours just nodded their heads. It's just Soarer.

Whisper-quiet joyriding! ;)

So the morning after the night before...

Got up about 07:10 and looked out the window. All 3 charging lights are lit.
    So does that mean the charging is finihsed and, seeing as I have the timer set for 08:00, it's going to be cell balancing or whatever for nearly an hour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

So the morning after the night before...

Got up about 07:10 and looked out the window. All 3 charging lights are lit.
    So does that mean the charging is finihsed and, seeing as I have the timer set for 08:00, it's going to be cell balancing or whatever for nearly an hour?

Sometimes takes two hours to balance.
    How much electricity did you use?

Advertisement