Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

KCross wrote: »
    Granny Charger 2kWh/hr
    16A EVSE 3.3kWh/hr
    32A EVSE 6kWh/hr

Kilowatt hours per hour? You could just say kilowatts (kW) here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I subscribe to the don't buy it unless you are sure you need it camp.

Yup

I'm.pretty certain the granny cable will meet their needs.

Are you still certain since he said he leaves at 6:30am? That leans it more towards the wall mount EVSE to me on the basis he is doing 80km + some running about.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Yup

Are you still certain since he said he leaves at 6:30am? That leans it more towards the wall mount EVSE to me on the basis he is doing 80km + some running about.

Yes I am. 100%.
    He has almost the exact usage my wife has and she always ends up with a lot more in the car on Friday night.
    Come Saturday morning the car will be at 100% again anyway. So he probably starts at 6:30 am on Monday with 100% as well.

Try it op and let us know how you are getting on.
    Keep the charger money aside as a holiday. If the granny pack is ok for you enjoy the holiday:)

NIMAN wrote: »
    Only issue for me possibly is that I am a shift worker, and so leave early in the morning, usually around 6:30am.

The car would need to be fully charged for that time. I am not sure what time night rate electricity starts at, but perhaps a slow charge wouldn't have enough hours to get car fully charged?

The main trick here is to set the end timer only in the car to 6:30. It will then figure out what time to start itself.

So, when you get home you plug the car in(granny charger or wall mount EVSE), it checks the timer, the current state of charge and it will automatically start the charging itself at some later time to ensure you have 100% by 6:30am.

If the car is down to say 10% it will obviously have to start the charge before night rate kicks in so thats the piece you need to monitor.

The main trick here is to set the end timer only in the car to 6:30. It will then figure out what time to start itself.

So, when you get home you plug the car in(granny charger or wall mount EVSE), it checks the timer, the current state of charge and it will automatically start the charging itself at some later time to ensure you have 100% by 6:30am.

If the car is down to say 10% it will obviously have to start the charge before night rate kicks in so thats the piece you need to monitor.

I don't think he'll even need 100%.
    Start off mo day morning on 100% and see how you go. You can probably still stay safely in the night time rate.

• Advertisement

I don't think he'll even need 100%.
    Start off mo day morning on 100% and see how you go. You can probably still stay safely in the night time rate.

Right, but he should still only set the end timer. Let the car figure out the start time itself. If he doesn't need 100% the car will just come home with more left and have less to do the next day.

Bear in mind he said his commute is 80km and he does upto 40km running about as well so he should charge to 100% so he has the ability to do that. Just taking on 6.5hrs of charge everyday gives him less flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Right, but he should still only set the end timer. Let the car figure out the start time itself. If he doesn't need 100% the car will just come home with more left and have less to do the next day.

Bear in mind he said his commute is 80km and he does upto 40km running about as well so he should charge to 100% so he has the ability to do that. Just taking on 6.5hrs of charge everyday gives him less flexibility.

Sorry, those 2 figures would be on-shift and off-shift, not on the same day.

When I'm working, I would do maybe 90km max in a day.
    The 40km would be a day when I'm off, taking kids to school, back and forth, and the odd run to shops etc.

There isn't one day when I would need 120km. Should have pointed that out.

btw, I take it the 6.6 OBC only appeared with the 2nd Gen Leaf?

6.6 OBC... yes gen 1.5 only... 132 or later and a very small few 131's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Kilowatt hours per hour? You could just say kilowatts (kW) here ;)

Sure, but only a handful people know what kWh is and that kWh = kW⋅h and not k⋅Wh or k⋅W⋅h.

If you write kWh/h, it is rather clear what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

Soarer wrote: »
    Finally, Leaf Spy Pro is ?13. Is there anything extra that I'd need to justify the ?13? Or is the Lite version plenty for what I need/understand?

Can anyone answer this?

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Can anyone answer this?

If you find it useful, just pay and support the developer.

Nevertheless:
    The "Pro" version adds the ability to perform functions normally requiring a visit to the dealer.
    * Change automatic door lock/unlock settings
    * Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)
    * Register Tire Positions (required after tire rotation or seasonal tire changes so your Leaf knows the correct location of each tire on the car)
    * Ability to reset DTCs from selected ECUs

grogi wrote: »
    Sure, but only a handful people know what kWh is and that kWh = kW⋅h and not k⋅Wh or k⋅W⋅h.

If you write kWh/h, it is rather clear what it means.

I'd hope more than a handful of people know what a kWh is - it's the unit of measure of energy consumption we've been using since (probably) the dawn of the ESB. I think it would be in the interest of anyone who is energy (or money) conscious to know how to work between power (kW) and energy (kWh), never mind EV owners (who really should understand this stuff).

Maybe I'm too pedantic, but I just see "hours per hour" as unnecessarily redundant notation...

Its not school.
    People know what he means when they read it.
    So no problem as far as I can see.

I'd hope more than a handful of people know what a kWh is - it's the unit of measure of energy consumption we've been using since (probably) the dawn of the ESB. I think it would be in the interest of anyone who is energy (or money) conscious to know how to work between power (kW) and energy (kWh), never mind EV owners (who really should understand this stuff).

Maybe I'm too pedantic, but I just see "hours per hour" as unnecessarily redundant notation...

Im with ya.
    Maybe I was being a bit pedantic but I wanted the inexperienced reader to understand that when I said 2kWh's to the battery that it was 2/hr which isn't necessarily obvious to the uninitiated.... you could have 2kW's for 1 hr or 1kW for 2hrs both giving 2kWh's.... I wanted to be specific that it was 2kWh/hr! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Im with ya.
    Maybe I was being a bit pedantic but I wanted the inexperienced reader to understand that when I said 2kWh's to the battery that it was 2/hr which isn't necessarily obvious to the uninitiated.... you could have 2kW's for 1 hr or 1kW for 2hrs both giving 2kWh's.... I wanted to be specific that it was 2kWh/hr! :)

kWh/h is a nonsense and is not an engineering measurement

This is a science

If you want to state what you wished you would just state I charged do at 2kW for one hour

Its not school.
    People know what he means when they read it.
    So no problem as far as I can see.

No they don't it's a nonsense metric

Do you say I drove to town that it 10 km away in an hours by stating 10kmh/h , no you don't

BoatMad wrote: »

This is a science

It is equally as nonsense as expressing fuel consumption in l/100km or mpg. Strictly speaking the unit of fuel consumption is m².

Do you say I drove to town that it 10 km away in an hours by stating 10kmh/h , no you don't

Actually it would be 10 (km/h) * h.

This is a science

If you want to state what you wished you would just state I charged do at 2kW for one hour

You miss the point or context of the discussion. The message was how many kWh's does each charging method give to the battery each hour.
    I understand kWh/hr is not a recognised measurement but it does convey my point.

Saying "charged at 2kW for one hour" would not have conveyed my message.

This isn't an engineering forum either so you have to understand the audience reading it.

Ah give over.
    Everyone knows what he meant.
    No need to attack him for it.

• Advertisement

You miss the point or context of the discussion. The message was how many kWh's does each charging method give to the battery each hour.
    I understand kWh/hr is not a recognised measurement but it does convey my point.

This isn't an engineering forum either so you have to understand the audience reading it.

Don't mind him. Everyone knows you were expressing a rate of charging. Amazing what people get anal about these days.

Don't mind him. Everyone knows you were expressing a rate of charging. Amazing what people get anal about these days.

Watts per hour is correct expression in that case

i charged 7kW per hour

Ps : not attacking kCross. Merely pointing out its s nonsense metric

I also clearly understand that " me bruvver " means " my brother " , doesn't make it right, however

Again I'm only attacking the defence not thd original mistaken nomenclature

It's a new era let's get our kW and kWhs right

Ps. Note kWh/h is simple kW. Which is not what Kcross actually wished to convey at all

"kWhs" = kilowatt hour seconds? :p

"kWhs" = kilowatt hour seconds? :p

Units I understand , the placement of apostrophes I have no clue about , however I'm not defending it that's the difference !!! :D

i charged 7kW per hour

For an hour... Or I charged at a rate of 0.117 kWh/min for 60 minutes. Makes sense?

The charging rate is expressed in kW, not kW/h (which would be the unit of speed of power change, for instance i fa power plant can ramp up from 0 to 10 MW in 1 hour, it would be 10 MW/h).

Absolutely. I was bitching about the units here much earlier than you ;)
    Ps. Note kWh/h is simple kW. Which is not what Kcross actually wished to convey at all

It is however convenient to say how much energy is transferred into the battery in a unit of time. So it makes perfect sense to say about about 0.05 kWh/min or indeed 3 kWh/h. When the car is capable of charging at 60 kW, you can say it charges at a rate of 1 kWh/min.

If we were pedantic about the units, we should be speaking not about kWh, but MJ anyway.

i charged 7kW per hour

Ps : not attacking kCross. Merely pointing out its s nonsense metric

I also clearly understand that " me bruvver " means " my brother " , doesn't make it right, however

Again I'm only attacking the defence not thd original mistaken nomenclature

We're not the first to have the debate!

I think people got it anyway. As long as we don't mix up kW and kWh we are ok. Lets move on.

of course it conveys what you wanted to say

a charger charging at 2kW per hour, delivers a charge of 2 kWh and that is delivered in one hour

of course it conveys what you wanted to say

a charger charging at 2kW per hour, delivers a charge of 2 kWh and that is delivered in one hour

I know it conveys it to you!! Take off your electrical engineering hat for a second and put yourself in the shoes of someone who has no clue about EV's or kW's and tell me you think it is clearer to say this....

A granny charger charges at:
    2kW for one hour
    or
    2kWh/hr

People have a general understanding of kWh as it is a unit they get billed for in their electricity bills. Maybe what I should have written to satisfy the pedant in you was "2kWh per hour".

@grogi explained it a bit better than me.

I know it conveys it to you!! Take off your electrical engineering hat for a second and put yourself in the shoes of someone who has no clue about EV's or kW's and tell me you think it is clearer to say this....

A granny charger charges at:
    2kW for one hour
    or
    2kWh/hr

People have a general understanding of kWh as it is a unit they get billed for in their electricity bills. Maybe what I should have written to satisfy the pedant in you was "2kWh per hour".

@grogi explained it a bit better than me.

You cant charge in kWh, you can only charge in kW

its like saying your radio takes 220 Amps

PS Im not criticising the error , Im criticising the defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You cant charge in kWh, you can only charge in kW

its like saying your radio takes 220 Amps

PS Im not criticising the error , Im criticising the defence

I'm with Boatmad on this one.
    EVs are bringing a new audience to lots of new terminology.
    Better to teach correctly from the start the difference between kW, kW/h, amps, volts, current and so on, than learning incorrectly from the get go.

Advertisement