Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Note though, the folding mirrors are button operated rather than automatic when you turn the car off.

You can get a kit to make them do it automatically I believe but it's a few hundred quid.

And this is true in both models. Same thing I had in a 1994 Mitsubishi FTO :P

Some were hooked up to the central locking, or alarm to fold in.

The Bose stereo in the Leafi is pure sh1te and the basic stereo in my partners 08 Cee'd is a lot better, USB or Bluetooth matters not, it's crap.

Some people say it's good but I've a suspicion they're the Same people that think a 3 in one HiFi off the shelf with flashing lights sounds good too !

The JBL in my 07 Prius was far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

A couple of questions...

1. Does it matter in the order you push in the parking break and press the button? I've been pushing in the parking break, pressing the button and then turning off the car, however the manual says to press the button first.

2. Is it possible to answer calls from viber handsfree? If I answer the phone manually it will come through the speaker, but I couldn't seem to get it to answer the call.

It doesn't matter whether you press the parking brake or p button first but it's best practice to press the p button then press the parking brake. When still in D there may be power still applied to the motor and if you take your foot off the normal foot brake there is a risk of the car moving forward before you press the P button and activate the foot brake.

I can't answer you on Viber, I know no one who uses Viber to make calls because the call quality is utter rubbish and Skype zaps battery life but the quality is vastly superior.

Thanks. I always have my foot on the brake anyway, habit I guess from already driving an automatic car. Pressing a button just doesn't seem like enough which is why I have used the foot brake first!!

I've never really had bad quality with viber - i use it to call my parents in Australia but that's off topic! Can skype be answered handsfree?

• Advertisement

Sorry, can't help you with Skype either. I really try use the phone as little as possible while driving.

Thanks. I'm the same. It's just that mum called as I was driving in to charge today and i wondered if I could answer it. We tried it out later while I was parked at the garage and couldn't get it to work. Given the time difference though it's not often she would call while I'm in the car!

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on that.

Perhaps Viber has improved their voice quality, when I tested it not long ago over 4G it was bad, however, it could also have been the other persons connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

People seem to be shocked when I tell them that hands free calling when driving has similar crash statistics as driving when at about 0.8 BAC. Almost twice the drink driving limit.

It wouldn't surprise me at all so I try avoid anything to do with the phone when driving.

And I think touch screens in cars are equally distracting and dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

unkel wrote: »
    People seem to be shocked when I tell them that hands free calling when driving has similar crash statistics as driving when at about 0.8 BAC. Almost twice the drink driving limit.

Because it is the distraction of talking over the phone rather than the act of holding something in the hand that is causing the problems.

Well it's a mix of both, there are far too many people looking at texts or browsing the web or FB while driving.

Merely talking to someone who happens to be sitting beside you in a car is distracting. If they try to ban handsfree phone use, i'll do time in the joy. I know it can be distracting, but so are bill boards with victorias secret models on the road side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

mel.b wrote: »
    Thanks. I always have my foot on the brake anyway, habit I guess from already driving an automatic car. Pressing a button just doesn't seem like enough which is why I have used the foot brake first!!

I've never really had bad quality with viber - i use it to call my parents in Australia but that's off topic! Can skype be answered handsfree?

Even in a "normal" automatic, you should put the car in Park before applying the hand/foot brake.

And that's exactly what pushing the button does.

Soarer wrote: »
    Even in a "normal" automatic, you should put the car in Park before applying the hand/foot brake.

And that's exactly what pushing the button does.

Ahh gotcha, that makes sense. I had to think about it, but that is what I did - moved the auto gear stick into P and then put on the handbrake. Now I have the connection between the P button and park on my old auto (I'm not blond, really :D:p:o).

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

I always apply handbrake first. The little lever to pull up and then just switch the car off as it automatically puts car in P. So with 1 move I am ready to get out :-)
    I hate using "P" as car still moves a little bit front/back when it is applied without handbrake.

Will the car not lock if there is an iphone inside? I noticed when coming back from the UK, that I tried to lock it once with my handbag inside and it gave me these little beeps and wouldn't lock. I took my handbag out and then it locked fine. I assumed it was the extra set of keys that was preventing it from locking. However today, I only had one set of keys in it, left my handbag in the car and tried to lock it and again it beeped. Took handbag out and it locked fine. The only electronic things in my handbag were my phone and a small video camera.

I'm fairly certain I have locked my iphone in the car. Maybe it's your bag.....the car doesn't like it :pac:

goz83 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain I have locked my iphone in the car. Maybe it's your bag.....the car doesn't like it :pac:

Lol, its a €9 handbag from pennys...maybe the fancy car with its electric engine and swish sat nat system doesn't want to be seen with something from pennys :p :pac:

Tested it with just the phone inside and it won't lock, so that is the problem. I winder if it is a setting somewhere...has anyone else had the same problem?

• Advertisement

I've had funny instances where it wouldn't lock for no reason and it beeps when you try lock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Tested it with just the phone inside and it won't lock, so that is the problem. I winder if it is a setting somewhere...has anyone else had the same problem?

Maybe its a cool feature where it is reminding you not to leave your phone behind inviting someone to bust your window to rob your phone! :)

KCross wrote: »
    Maybe its a cool feature where it is reminding you not to leave your phone behind inviting someone to bust your window to rob your phone! :)
    :p:pac::D

So it appears that the iphone preventing locking issue has been solved. I thinkit was because I wasn't connected to the Nissan connect service. I got connected to that earlier and then tried the phone in the car again while locking and I was able to lock the car with no problem.

I tried the automatic wipers tonight driving home and aren't a fan of them yet. Even though the rain was at a constant rate, the speed of the wipers varied from crazy to too slow :(

Finally a question about the 'find charging stations' in the sat nat system. I updated it today after getting connected and noticed that some of the Topaz station chargers near me aren't in it (Ennis and Shannon...didn't look further than that). However when I was driving home on Sat it was able to find the charger at Topaz in Athlone. Does anyone have Ennis Topaz in theirs? Also it lists Ennis railway station, but according to both the ecars map and plugshare there isn't one there (I haven't driven up there to double check). So is the inbuilt find chargers really rather inaccurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

So it appears that the iphone preventing locking issue has been solved. I thinkit was because I wasn't connected to the Nissan connect service. I got connected to that earlier and then tried the phone in the car again while locking and I was able to lock the car with no problem.

I tried the automatic wipers tonight driving home and aren't a fan of them yet. Even though the rain was at a constant rate, the speed of the wipers varied from crazy to too slow :(

Finally a question about the 'find charging stations' in the sat nat system. I updated it today after getting connected and noticed that some of the Topaz station chargers near me aren't in it (Ennis and Shannon...didn't look further than that). However when I was driving home on Sat it was able to find the charger at Topaz in Athlone. Does anyone have Ennis Topaz in theirs? Also it lists Ennis railway station, but according to both the ecars map and plugshare there isn't one there (I haven't driven up there to double check). So is the inbuilt find chargers really rather inaccurate?

The car will lock with an iPhone inside , I do it all the time, what you can find is that in some cases the key isn't far enough away from the door for the inside sensors to detect the key isn't in the car and it beeps
    ( you can also use the fob buttons anyway )

As for the sat nav, dont use it to find chargers, use the eCars app. I only use the leaf satnav to direct me to known chargers

BoatMad wrote: »
    The car will lock with an iPhone inside , I do it all the time, what you can find is that in some cases the key isn't far enough away from the door for the inside sensors to detect the key isn't in the car and it beeps
    ( you can also use the fob buttons anyway )

It will now anyway :pac: it wouldn't before I set up the nissan connect app.
    As for the sat nav, dont use it to find chargers, use the eCars app. I only use the leaf satnav to direct me to known chargers

But what if you use the ecar maps to find Topaz ennis (for example) and then try to use the 'find charging point' to get the directions to it and it's not there (it's not there on mine at the moment for example). That's how I did it to find Topaz in Athlone the other night. Of course, you can put in name the long way but that's a PIA - and Topaz Ennis didn't come up as the top choice (once I keyed in ennis and topaz) even though I was only 2km away from it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my leaf- I was taking everybody in work today for spins :D It's just a matter of getting used to it and coming to terms with any little quirks, or maybe that I'm not doing things in the right way (which is why I'm asking when I find something that seems a bit strange)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It will now anyway :pac: it wouldn't before I set up the nissan connect app.

I suggest thats a coincidence , the car cannot detect an iPhone , merely a bluetooth link , I have never found any evidence of the issue you mention
    But what if you use the ecar maps to find Topaz ennis (for example) and then try to use the 'find charging point' to get the directions to it and it's not there (it's not there on mine at the moment for example). That's how I did it to find Topaz in Athlone the other night. Of course, you can put in name the long way but that's a PIA - and Topaz Ennis didn't come up as the top choice (once I keyed in ennis and topaz) even though I was only 2km away from it.

finding charge points ( i.e. ones that you dont know exist ) , is a nonsense using the leafs satnav, firstly far too many chargers are not there , and many that are there are not in the sat nav and secondly there is no standard naming convention

Best look them up on the ecars app, and then locate the location on the satnav and go there. The only time I use it now is to plot a course to a charge point I know is actually there and I get the unit from the " history "
    Don't get me wrong, I love my leaf- I was taking everybody in work today for spins :D It's just a matter of getting used to it and coming to terms with any little quirks, or maybe that I'm not doing things in the right way (which is why I'm asking when I find something that seems a bit strange)

lots off quirks, the 2016 satnav is a considerable improvement over the previous model as is the general software in the car

( 64,000km on my leaf after 16 months !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I suggest thats a coincidence , the car cannot detect an iPhone , merely a bluetooth link , I have never found any evidence of the issue you mention

But if a BT link is established, the MAC address of the device is known to the car. iPhone can be easily detected by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

grogi wrote: »
    But if a BT link is established, the MAC address of the device is known to the car. iPhone can be easily detected by it.

It's not related to the central locking though.

Mel.b if the car isn't locking, there is another explanation that doesn't involve your phone.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    It's not related to the central locking though.

Mel.b if the car isn't locking, there is another explanation that doesn't involve your phone.

Some of you may have seen the video I took last night on the EV irish owners FB group, but I'll post it here.

For information
    - Nissan Leaf 2016 30kwh 6.6
    - no one else in the car
    - 2nd set of keys inside the house on the fire mantle piece
    - Nothing else in the car
    - I am using the fob to lock the car
    - Nissan Connect NOT installed on phone.

Every time I have tried to lock the car with the phone inside when Nissan Connect is NOT installed it does this. Obviously making sure that Nissan Connect is installed is the solution :pac:

Advertisement