Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 telmah

I'm not allowed to post links because of lack of posts but Sparshatts Nissan in Southampton have a red 2015 Leaf with 6.6 charge point and a home charger for 9650 stg.Worth a google.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

telmah wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to post links because of lack of posts but Sparshatts Nissan in Southampton have a red 2015 Leaf with 6.6 charge point and a home charger for 9650 stg.Worth a google.
    http://www.sparshattsgroup.co.uk/used/view/33315/nissan-leaf-24kw-acenta#fndtn-panel2-1

How do you know it has a fast charger, I can't see anything mentioned in the advert.
    And a home charge point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 telmah

It's also advertised on Autotrader which seems to have a few extra photos.
    One of these photos shows the charging menu on the dash and it gives the charging time with 3.3 and 6.6 times.
    The home charger is listed on the Autotrader ad as well.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

telmah wrote: »

They won't do the home charger for Rep of Ireland - it seems all Nissan dealers are doing it & I thought I'd get one in a box to take home - it is linked to a UK grant to get one installed at home.

Is there any contract or anything tied to the charge point though?

For example, what if I went to buy that red Leaf with the free charge point, and gave my parents address in NI? Would they give it to me? Do they arrange someone to come out and fit it? What if I just took it on to my house in RoI and got a guy to fit it there for me at my own expense, how would the Nissan dealer know where the charge point is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thats a lovely one and it's not WHITE http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705115345672

media?id=db418ece5f124b16a21ef98fd0dc0914&width=336&height=253

Here's a lovely 2013 Tekna 1.5 Gen. It's only a 3.3 though, but very nice red.

I would go for that if I didn't value the faster charging.

media?id=09b611a2e0ef4dd498874a13d7cbc0a9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

NIMAN wrote: »
    Spoke to the Chorley crowd this morning re:the 9995 Acenta.

The 8995 price is only available is you take out finance with them.
    I asked what would best cash price would be. He said 9995.
    I said there must be some reduction possible if I landed with cash, but apparently not. Strange.
    goz83 wrote: »
    They are next to impossible to negotiate with. That was my experience. They get some deal when they sell finance. The idea is the finance company make money from defaulters......or the finance encourages future sales. They want people on credit.

I found exactly the same when dealing with dealers recently - the price it is, is the price it is. My car was listed as two prices on the nissan used car website so I rang to query it. He initially said he thought it was even dearer than what was listed and said that the lower price could be the finance price. When I told him the two prices he said he was there to sell cars and what price was I looking at so I said that lower one and that's what I got the car at. So I either got £500 off or nothing off depending on what way you want to look at it :pac: I got mine through Colin Appleyard in Keighley, Leeds and they were very easy to deal with.

Question re: leaf 3.3 v 6.6 chargers,

Does it always follow if you have 3 orange cables under the bonnet you have a fast charger v 1 orange cable for the slow charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Question re: leaf 3.3 v 6.6 chargers,

Does it always follow if you have 3 orange cables under the bonnet you have a fast charger v 1 orange cable for the slow charger?

Linky

So the basic gist of that is, 3 orange cables doesn't necessarily mean 6.6? Right?

Only sure way is dashboard display if it mentions 6.6 time to charge?

• Advertisement

So the basic gist of that is, 3 orange cables doesn't necessarily mean 6.6? Right?

Only sure way is dashboard display if it mentions 6.6 time to charge?
    If the car is in front of you, then dashboard is easiest way. There is a plate on the motor that indicates that it's 6.6kW. Also, if the cable that comes with the car is 32amp rated, that will be printed somewhere along the side of it BUT whilst it means its far more likely that the car is 6.6kW, this is inconclusive (cables may have been swapped out at some stage).

It's easy to establish if the car is in front of you but most of us start trawling through online listings - so it's dependent upon whether the seller lists the feature or includes a photo of the relevant dash display. I know myself from Leaf shopping in the past and more recently, it can be frustrating in working out which ones are 6.6kW. A lot of the car sales outfits (main dealers or independents) are hopeless on this at the best of times....they simply don't know. For that reason, the only way around it is to ask them to check the dash display and toggle to the 'time to charge' screen - and ask them to tell you if there's one or two listings there. It makes the process very frustrating but it's the only way around it. With the car that I bought, the dealer didn't have any notion of what this option was - nevermind that it had it.
    Private sellers can also be oblivious - either they forget to mention it or it's long since slipped their minds that it was optional.

And while it's frustrating, it can be rewarding too. If you dig a little deeper, you can find a 6.6 for 3.3 money. Saving a few hundred quid is always good and the car listed above is probably a good example of it being missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah the Association is the one I'm in the original Irish EV owners group was too full of nutters , I mean serious nut cases that I just left the group. Lets just say they are people I would not like to meet at a charge point !

Oh the irony...

Anyone know about Polar home charge points?

Spoke to a seller who has one but can't get any search results on it.

EDIT: looks like it's actually a ChargeMaster branded one. Think this is it:

imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi57.tinypic.com%2F8vpxra.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myoutlanderphev.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fp%3D2716&docid=7rQ_SoW1MHFlOM&tbnid=na98Na6iGq1UlM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwj8s7T53erUAhWcF8AKHRv4DW8QMwjnASgAMAA..i&w=1600&h=1200&itg=1&bih=512&biw=360&q=Image&ved=0ahUKEwj8s7T53erUAhWcF8AKHRv4DW8QMwjnASgAMAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

8vpxra.jpg

Anyone know about Polar home charge points?
    EDIT: looks like it's actually a ChargeMaster branded one.
    Yes, that's a chargemaster. That's what I have (without the polar label) except mine is untethered. Untethered will make it easier to swap to another EV as charging standards / connection points change. Naturally, it's more hassle as you have to take the cable out of the boot and plug it in (some see it as hassle - doesn't really bother me).
    The tethered unit is more convenient. It makes it a bit more difficult if you upgrade car in the future that has a different connector - but as per some of the folks on here, it may be possible to adapt it.

You're going the right road though. Check ebay listings - and snag one on the cheap. There's a bigger pool of UK EV'er's - and as peoples circumstances change (having to relocate, etc.), these 2nd hand units hit the market at a more affordable level. The new price on these chargers is ridiculous - given the substance of what you actually get (there's just a piece of circuit board inside that plastic box and very little else).

Try and source a 32 amp rated one. That will work with a 6.6kW charging Leaf (even if you don't buy a 6.6kW, best to have the upgraded charger in place anyway - for future needs). Your local sparks can install - just ask him for a price on installing an outside socket (the work involved is exactly the same) - and make sure he uses the appropriate cable.

How much would one of those cost to buy secondhand?

I'd say £150-200. I bought mine for £150 (collected) but I think I was pretty lucky. It was brand new even though it was a private sale (there seems to have been a batch of these a year ago floating about - coming from the same source....not sure if they fell off the back of a wagon or what the story was).

I'm quoting GBP as that's where you're most likely to source one (perhaps you'll source one in IRL but less likely as turnover is much slower and with that, price might not be as keen).

I got it quoted included with a car sale, just curious as to how much that would save me.

I got it quoted included with a car sale, just curious as to how much that would save me.
    If the deal works for you otherwise, then it saves you some extra hassle in sourcing separately. :)

• Advertisement

The model number is

DSI-EV32P-5C

Could I assume this would be a 32a model?

Edit, I just searched for that, and it appears the person has given me the model number of the connecting cable and not the charge point itself.
    I'm guessing can't assume it's a 32a charger just because it's a 32a capable cable?

Edit, I just searched for that, and it appears the person has given me the model number of the connecting cable and not the charge point itself.
    I'm guessing can't assume it's a 32a charger just because it's a 32a capable cable?
    I guess it's increasingly more likely to be - but you're quite right - you can't assume. Generally speaking, those units should have a sticker on them somewhere - like the attached.
    Not sure if this would still be visible with the Polar branded chargemasters. They would have gotten user manuals with the charger - are these still in their possession? All you need is a model number - and you can check it from that. Perhaps they have an old email that would have confirmed date of install (together with details on what was installed)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I posted a brand new one for sale a week or two ago. In the "this weeks bargain" thread. It might be still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

Try midshire electrical. They're cheap for new chargers.

I'm really considering making the move to a Leaf, and have been keeping an eye on used ones for a few weeks now.

Which of these deals would you go for?

1) 2014 tekna, 9500 miles, 6.6 charger. £9000
    2) 2014 Acenta, 28000 miles, 6.6. £7250
    3) 14 Acenta cold pack, 34000 miles, 6.6 €11995 (€8000 with my trade-in)

1) and 2) are UK based, so involve flight, travel, maybe accommodation. Also means have to sell my own car separately. 1) also comes with both charging cables and a home charge point.

3) Irish dealer, advantage of trade-in.

Undecided.

best provide links though

goz83 wrote: »

best provide links though
    Here is 1)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/nissan/nissan-leaf-e-80kw-24kwh-auto-2013my-tekna-blue-electric/1247312120

Can't find link to 2), might be gone

3) here it is

http://www.carsireland.ie/1790083?msr=w

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd pick 1 or 3. Having a leaf with a cold pack is non negotiable for me, my leaf has it now and for the range it saves I woudl not be without it!

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd pick 1 or 3. Having a leaf with a cold pack is non negotiable for me, my leaf has it now and for the range it saves I woudl not be without it!

Looks like 2 is no longer available, so that's the two I'd be left with.

• Advertisement

Here's the dealers website and link to the Leaf page.

Not bad. Missing the granny charger it seems, so I would ask about that and make sure they include one. They also have it listed for 10k on their site, so they might have the car a little while, or they messed up with the price, just like they messed up with the year of the car. Double check the year. I would get a video of it sent.

Advertisement