Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as I'd prefer the Tekna, complete with all cables and charger, the bonus of a trade-in and no flights, travel across England, ferry, vrt appts etc is very appealing.

Then again £9k for the Tekna seems a very good deal. Although might be 9500 by the time I get it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So for the £9k one, you need to allow for the hassle of flying over to the UK, and either a long road trip in the UK back paying £4-£5 per FCP usage and then associated coffees etc, or paying someone £400 to collect it. Then you have to get the ferry back which can be a couple of hundred quid when booked less than 4 weeks in advance. I'd allow £10k total for that to be honest, factoring in hassle/inconvenience costs.

£10k is currently showing as €11395 on XE for me so that favours the Irish one. Plus you can trade in your car with them so that's a "hassle discount" rather than a "hassle cost".

goz83 wrote: »
    Here's the dealers website and link to the Leaf page.

Not bad. Missing the granny charger it seems, so I would ask about that and make sure they include one. They also have it listed for 10k on their site, so they might have the car a little while, or they messed up with the price, just like they messed up with the year of the car. Double check the year. I would get a video of it sent.

Did they mess up the year?
    I spoke to the dealer, he said he has both charging cables and the charge point.
    He also said he was selling it on his forecourt for 10k. Must have put it on Gumtree are what he was willing to accept. Definitely 9k. Cos I asked about a reduction and he said he couldn't go lower than 9.
    He does appear a genuine dealer. He even went into work yesterday to call me with the reference number of the charge point which I had texted him about on Saturday night. Then took a walk around the car to see if he could see anything wrong with it, as he said he wouldn't want to have me fly over to find things I wasn't happy about. He spotted a couple of little marks on the alloys and took photos of these and emailed them to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'd take option 1.

The trip across England is fun!

You could also maybe negotiate for the dealer to deliver to a ferry port of your choice.

Further update, the Dublin one is only 3.3, if I was going for a leaf I'd have to insist on a 6.6.

So its only 1 left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'd take option 1.

The trip across England is fun!

You could also maybe negotiate for the dealer to deliver to a ferry port of your choice.

+1

The Tekna spec would tip it for me. It will make it more sellable later as well.

Whether selling your own privately and going on a road trip is a challenge or a hassle is something only you can answer. Lots of us have done it without any major issues. The main thing is you get the car you want.

They mention parking sensors in the ad. I don't think I've seen a Leaf with parking sensors and the pics don't show it. Maybe they meant parking camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

NIMAN wrote: »
    As much as I'd prefer the Tekna, complete with all cables and charger, the bonus of a trade-in and no flights, travel across England, ferry, vrt appts etc is very appealing.

Then again £9k for the Tekna seems a very good deal. Although might be 9500 by the time I get it home.
    Did they mess up the year?
    I spoke to the dealer, he said he has both charging cables and the charge point.
    He also said he was selling it on his forecourt for 10k. Must have put it on Gumtree are what he was willing to accept. Definitely 9k. Cos I asked about a reduction and he said he couldn't go lower than 9.
    He does appear a genuine dealer. He even went into work yesterday to call me with the reference number of the charge point which I had texted him about on Saturday night. Then took a walk around the car to see if he could see anything wrong with it, as he said he wouldn't want to have me fly over to find things I wasn't happy about. He spotted a couple of little marks on the alloys and took photos of these and emailed them to me.

I honestly believe that you want that Tekna and although you would not necessarily regret buying the Irish Acenta, but the Tekna would be in the back of your mind for a long while after.

As you know, I own both and I love driving both, but the Tekna is just a better car and worth the extra. The Leaf is sort of an ugly car. The Tekna puts some make-up on it and the extra toys make it a better place to be. Will also be easier to sell on when the time comes.

So, the car has the cables? Great. Make sure he shows you a photo first. If you don't want to do the trip, either have it transported, or try have the dealer get it to Holyhead for you. The trip is worth doing though. It will cost you less than £50 in electricity and that's being careful. You are only 1 extra stop from where where I collected my Leaf and you would be taking the same route to Holyhead. It's a pleasantly exciting journey. Think on it, but you have a great deal found right there. Sell your car privately. A keen price cuts out the hassle of selling.

edited: So the irish one is 3.3. Get the Tekna!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Ok im posting here because I want the perspective of people who arent necessarily pro electric cars.

My 05 Mazda 6 has been non stop trouble for the last 4 years, I bought it in 08. I do 22k a year and don't record petrol spends. By on line mpg estimates, my tax, insurance and nct I spend not far off 4k a year on it. This excludes maintenance problems which apparently for the mazda 6 ive been horrendously unlucky with. Apparently their very reliable but everything that could go wrong has gone wrong, perhaps a Friday evening car. On top of that parts for the Mazda 6 are ridiculously expensive.

I failed the NCT on the handbrake (same happened a few years ago and took 800 to remedy) and massively on emissions. On top of that the gears are slipping while driving so I reckon its not worth fixing up at this stage.

Been saving for a house for a very long time so the Leafs 21k price tag after scrappage and grants will still leave me just under the 70% Loan to Value for a mortgage when we find the right house. Anyone know whether banks prefer a bigger savings amount vs a car loan.

So Ive been googling, emailing etc all week and employers have agreed to allow me a charge point at work (landlord said will let me know but more then likely no issue, have to confirm in morning as 4k scrappage ends tomorrow). Employer gets it paid for but need to pay for any electricity I use charging and hold a electric car promotion day.

Buying a leaf gets me a new car with running costs less then 1k a year though 21k is way more then id like to be paying. Other top option being a 2010 estate with 80k on the clock for 10k including 1k trade in and my estimated costs of 2300 a year. So I would be able to charge at home and work so I wont ever be arriving home with nothing left over. My wife has a 03 golf but I think the savings would mean the odd time (probably every 2nd year) we wanted to drive long distance without worrying about charge etc id be happy to actually rent a car.

Im well aware of the 140k range and battery degradation issues. I have no interest in a car being fancy or new and reckon in 8 or 9 years id probably be happy to spend 6k on a replacement battery rather then a new car. Expectations are if you treat the battery right it'll have 80% capacity in 10 years.

Given the lack of expendables a new battery should pretty much equal the feel of a new car. Given Im fairly certain to work in the same place which is 60k from home, can charge there and at home, will have a non electric car always available is this a no brainer?

For anyone interested I test drove it for 24 hours and its a fine drive. Takes bends like nothing ive experienced as its weight can be distributed better then a traditional car, not as quick to accelerate at speed then a mazda 6 but v quick from a standstill though to be fair and im sure its the same for automatics it feels a little boring to drive as you have so less to do.
    When driving it you are more aware of fuel efficiency then in a normal car so I think id turn into a safer driver too which isnt a bad thing with a toddler getting ready to point out every time I might go over the speed limit.
    If you are spending 800 on a mazda 6 handbrake you must be doing it through a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you are spending 800 on a mazda 6 handbrake you must be doing it through a main dealer.

I get all of the 'read all of the posts in the thread', but seriously?! :D

grogi wrote: »

He just read the first one though........from 2015 :P

• Advertisement

Update on the Tekna. No granny cable.
    The 2 cables were one that hooks car to charge point and one that hooks to public chargers.

I'd need to source a granny cable otherwise I couldn't charge at home initially.

How much am.i looking at for one?

Also just run a car check on it. There is still outstanding finance showing. I know this can be something to set off alarm bells, but can't it happen that the dealer clears the finance whilst the buyer is there?

Only other thing that flagged was a plate change application. There was once listed for Oct 2015, but that's not the reg on the car. The original reg is. What would the story be there?

The 2 cables were one that hooks car to charge point and one that hooks to public chargers.

I'd need to source a granny cable otherwise I couldn't charge at home initially.

How much am.i looking at for one?

That's a pity. It's one of the real benefits of getting a UK Leaf.

You can pick up non OEM granny chargers on ebay for not much more than €300. Or ask the dealer how much he can sell one for.

I have 2. I want to keep 1 for each car, but I can make do with 1 for the time being. Could sell you a genuine one for €400. I believe they are a good bit more from Nissan. It's not going anywhere, so no rush. I would need to replace at some stage, but for now....if it helps, it's on offer.

Also just run a car check on it. There is still outstanding finance showing. I know this can be something to set off alarm bells, but can't it happen that the dealer clears the finance whilst the buyer is there?

Only other thing that flagged was a plate change application. There was once listed for Oct 2015, but that's not the reg on the car. The original reg is. What would the story be there?

Yes, finance can be cleared there.

Plate change could be vanity plates

Dealer says finance is cleared, he has documentation to say so, maybe the car check is working off old data?

Re: plate change. The check showed up the new reg from 2015, but it's not on the car. Could someone have applied and then not bothered changing the plate?

Surprised the granny cable is so expensive. The dealer said Nissan quoted him £250.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What is the difference between those two?
    Hooking the car to a EVSE or a public charge point will use the same cable.

Maybe swap one of them for a granny charger. Tell him you want one of each, not two the same.

Yes....maybe ask him to send pic of the cables. Definitely get a granny charger. And if its only £250 from nissan for an OEM one...get it. I heard they were way more expensive....closer to 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

KCross wrote: »
    What is the difference between those two?
    Hooking the car to a EVSE or a public charge point will use the same cable.

Maybe swap one of them for a granny charger. Tell him you want one of each, not two the same.

That was my thought. Definitely some confusion, ask for a picture of the cables. And a pic of the dash display to confirm the 6.6 just in case he's wrong/spoofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

Maybe there's a Type 2 to Type 1 cable for the public system, and a Type 1 to Type 1 cable for domestic charging?

Soarer wrote: »
    Maybe there's a Type 2 to Type 1 cable for the public system, and a Type 1 to Type 1 cable for domestic charging?
    Is there such a thing as a type 1 to type 1?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

I assume there is. If you bought a Type 1 non-tethered home charger, you'd need a 1 to 1 cable?

That's what I mean, i don't think i've seen anything as the host other than type2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

grogi wrote: »

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

For anyone else Leaf shopping, I've decided to reduce price further - to induce a quick sale.
    It was the cheapest 2014 Leaf Acenta (SV) advertised in Ireland with 6.6kW charging. I've now reduced it to €9,999 - making it the cheapest 2014 Acenta (SV) even in comparison with 2014's without 6.6kW charging. Won't be deviating from this price. However, if anyone is in the market, give me a shout. Link below.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lovely colour. You buying a brand new 30kWh Leaf?

unkel wrote: »
    Lovely colour. You buying a brand new 30kWh Leaf?
    Nope - If I was going brand new, I'd take a leaf out of your book and buy an Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

'16 UK import 30kWh then for about €17k landed? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What are you on about?

That you were responding to my post of a few years ago. FYI it wasnt a main dealer but it wasnt the only issue either the handbreak was just one of the more expensive parts.

Is this what I'd need to buy for a leaf coming with no granny cable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322563892933

• Advertisement

Is this what I'd need to buy for a leaf coming with no granny cable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322563892933

I believe so although it looks like you can have an OEM Nissan EVSE for around the same money.
    ...although one is used and one is new.

Advertisement