Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Balmed Out wrote: »
    That you were responding to my post of a few years ago. FYI it wasnt a main dealer but it wasnt the only issue either the handbreak was just one of the more expensive parts.
    So what, why didn't you start a new thread instead of resurrecting this one? It's BRAKE by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So what, why didn't you start a new thread instead of resurrecting this one? It's BRAKE by the way.
    I think his point is that you resurrected it. The thread has developed into a general thread ref. all things Nissan Leaf since that initial post/query in 2015...is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is this what I'd need to buy for a leaf coming with no granny cable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322563892933

Yep. Its not OEM but it should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

Bloody foreigners hogging my local charger! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

mmmmmm p100d!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've got one of the little dongle things to use with the leaf spy app. Can someone direct me to instructions on how to connect/use it please

Soarer wrote: »
    Bloody foreigners hogging my local charger! ;)

Jesus, imagine he got there with only 2 Kwh remaining !!! that's a long wait at a "fast charger" :eek:

Something we're going to have to get more used to as batter capacity increases, hopefully the ESB will start installing more powerful chargers.

If and when they start installing fast chargers again I'll be disappointed to see the same 45-65 Kw chargers being rolled out.

Jesus, imagine he got there with only 2 Kwh remaining !!! that's a long wait at a "fast charger" :eek:

Something we're going to have to get more used to as batter capacity increases, hopefully the ESB will start installing more powerful chargers.

If and when they start installing fast chargers again I'll be disappointed to see the same 45-65 Kw chargers being rolled out.
    100kW is the new standard now no?
    For new installs anyway

I don't know, there hasn't been any new chargers installed in over a year.

They need to start thinking past 100 Kw at this stage.

I don't know, there hasn't been any new chargers installed in over a year.

They need to start thinking past 100 Kw at this stage.
    I mean in the EU in general.
    Theres 150kW CCS available now.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about that but it makes sense. 45 Kw was fine for the Leaf when it was originally released and the Imev. But in my opinion installing more 45-65 Kw chargers would be unacceptable especially if we're going to be paying per min !!!

I'm not sure about that but it makes sense. 45 Kw was fine for the Leaf when it was originally released and the Imev. But in my opinion installing more 45-65 Kw chargers would be unacceptable especially if we're going to be paying per min !!!
    Yes I wouldnt be happy to buy an EV capable of charging at 100/150 kW but pay per minute at a 45kW DBT unit for instance!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes I wouldnt be happy to buy an EV capable of charging at 100/150 kW but pay per minute at a 45kW DBT unit for instance!

No but on the + side there is a major advantage over paying per Kwh, when charger and car is able to charge at 100+ Kw then you get over double the amount of Kwh for the same cost per min, so anyone wanting to pay per Kwh should really think about that. Yes it will sting early Ev owners such as myself with slower charging leafs but how many people really charge that much from the DC chargers to really care ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

He was traveling to Rosslare Port, and was charging at the Kinsale Road roundabout. Google Maps tells me that's 200kms, which is a piece of urine to that yoke. He'll probably nearly make it home on the other side on his free charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

mel.b wrote: »
    I've got one of the little dongle things to use with the leaf spy app. Can someone direct me to instructions on how to connect/use it please

OK, so look down to the area where you pull the handle to open the bonnet. To the left of that, you will see a cut out panel about 6 inches wide. Reach under that panel and you will feel where it slots into the rest of the trim. Pull the panel out....don't be shy, it can take a little bit of force. Plug the dongle into the connector and if there is a power button, press it. The rest is just like connecting any other bluetooth device and you can run the app. Code to connect will be 0000 or 1234 or 9999

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks, got sorted. I have an iphone so it is a wifi dongle but after eventually finding the help section in the leafspy app i got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely you'll pay by the amount of electricity you use, not time charging?

That would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Exactly, welcome to Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

This may be a silly question but what do you do when you need to travel to say Cork from Dublin and you are staying somewhere unknown (i.e a hotel?)

Do you have to add in an extra 30/40 min on your journey to charge the car on the way down? And then maybe even an extra 20 min to charge it on the way back so you make it home?

Raoul wrote: »
    This may be a silly question but what do you do when you need to travel to say Cork from Dublin and you are staying somewhere unknown (i.e a hotel?)

Do you have to add in an extra 30/40 min on your journey to charge the car on the way down? And then maybe even an extra 20 min to charge it on the way back so you make it home?
    If you are doing a longer journey, then you have to plan accordingly, Raoul. First stop is the ecars map. Check charger status - and determine what stops you need to make. On a journey like that, you're looking for Fast Chargers.

How often you have to stop is determined by what you're driving. eg. 24kW, 30kW Leaf or a 200km range Ioniq, etc.

I drive a 24kW Leaf and if I need to do a long journey, then there's nothing stopping me. Will there be extra time required? Yes. Do I have a need to do that many long journeys in a given year? No (and most people don't if they actually think it through). If you are staying in Dublin, there are plenty of Hotels with charging facilities. If not, if you're effectively parking it up, then you can use a nearby public charger.

As it stands right now, the public charging system is free to use so whilst such a trip will take longer, you will not have to spend on fuel.

• Advertisement

From what I read, the real range is considerably less than advertised and then even less so during the winter.

I guess what I would be worried about is having to charge 3 times on a journey to/from Cork. It isn't a journey I am making very often but I am just using it as an example.

From what I read, the real range is considerably less than advertised and then even less so during the winter.

I guess what I would be worried about is having to charge 3 times on a journey to/from Cork. It isn't a journey I am making very often but I am just using it as an example.
    That's the issue.
    If the EV does 99% of your driving with absolutely no issue other than 30 seconds to plug in at home, and saves you €€€ per month, is it worth not having the car based on the 1% of driving that it inconveniences you for 2*25 minute charging stops on a 200km+ journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's been shown that most things people worry about never come to pass.

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's the issue.
    If the EV does 99% of your driving with absolutely no issue other than 30 seconds to plug in at home, and saves you €€€ per month, is it worth not having the car based on the 1% of driving that it inconveniences you for 2*25 minute charging stops on a 200km+ journey?
    Yep, I agree. I am more thinking of the other people who would be travelling with me complaining on the longer journeys. :D:D:D

Manufacturers do what manufacturers do - when it comes to range with EV's (or mpg figures for petrol/diesel) - so you never go by their figures. Real world users will give you real world range figures.
    You may well have to (I don't do that journey - others can advise what's necessary in a 24kW, 30kW, Ioniq, etc.).

What you need to figure out is - how often in a year do you do such journeys?
    What's your regular commute/car usage like on a day to day basis? i.e. journey lengths, etc.

There are downsides and upsides with EV's. For earlier generation EV's you may have to compromise. For later gen EV's you may not have to compromise but you'll have to fork out much more £££.
    I'm quite happy to compromise as it's led to a saving per month in fuel of €160.

If you give some feedback on journey patterns/usage patterns, folks here will be able to advise what's achievable. Are you a one or two car household? Relevant if you only do longer journeys rarely - as you could use the petrol/diesel for that purpose.

Yep, I agree. I am more thinking of the other people who would be travelling with me complaining on the longer journeys. :D:D:D

Take their car then.....or pay the 50 or 60 euro in fuel to make them happy? (screw that!).
    NIMAN wrote:
    It's been shown that most things people worry about never come to pass.
    Exactly. If you use yer noggin, it shouldn't be a problem. I run battery down to zero (or nearly zero) every single night upon arriving home (because I know what the car can achieve and drive accordingly. I just top up with a enough to get me home - and if I have spare, I squeeze the accelerator that bit more than I ordinarily would).

Cheers guys. I am not at the stage of buying at the moment. Currently buying a house where I will need to buy a car to commute and I am looking at my options.

One other question (I know these have probably been answered), but when you are charging at one of the charge stations, say one beside your work, what is to stop you/another person from leaving their car there all day and blocking up the whole station. Or what do you do when there is another car there and you need to use it?

Is it still possible to get the home charging station for free?

Is it still possible to get the home charging station for free?
    This incentive had expired but has been renewed. However, it's on new cars only (purchased via an irish dealership).

One other question (I know these have probably been answered), but when you are charging at one of the charge stations, say one beside your work, what is to stop you/another person from leaving their car there all day and blocking up the whole station. Or what do you do when there is another car there and you need to use it?
    You're right - it has been discussed ad-nauseum. It's a perennial issue. I don't know how long you intend to hold off until purchase but it's not expected that public charging will remain free beyond another 12 months. At that point, the issue should no longer present itself.

In the meantime, there's nothing to stop someone from blocking a charging point. However, you'd want to have some neck on you to leave it there all day. You could be in for a right pasting when you get back to your car (again, some have the brass neck for that). You might find yourself blocked in - or worse when you get back to your car in those circumstances.

It's an issue for some more than others. In fairness, I don't come across it that often (despite using the public charging system daily) probably because of the part of the country I'm located in and due to the times I charge (off peak).

Thanks very much. It was difficult to find clear and concise answers. Appreciate it :). Looking forward to buying an EV in the future.

• Advertisement

Surely you'll pay by the amount of electricity you use, not time charging?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Exactly, welcome to Ireland...

Think outside the box for a moment lads, is my point not getting though to people ?

If you get currently in a 24 Kwh Leaf about 16 Kwh in 30 mins and in a Model S you get 60 Kwh odd, now who do you think comes out of this far better off if paying per minute ?

Yes all our tiny battery slow charging electrics won't be so tiny or slow charging in just a few years and hopefully Leaf II will be capable of faster charging.

Event the Ioniq owner benefits from much faster charging at 65 Kw.

I don't get why people are so hell bent on paying per Kwh and I the only one that sees if you can charge 2-3 times faster than you get much more for the same time, or pay per Kwh and you pay the same no matter what.

Advertisement