Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

What are peoples opinion on buying a 2nd hand Leaf right now?

With the new Leaf coming early next year would I be mad to buy a 2nd hand one now when surely there'll be better value to be had the closer we get to the launch of the new model?

I'm starting to think January might be the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The talk is it won't be on the road until Feb for customers.

However, I think the key thing to wait for is the pricing. Once that is officially released (expected in Oct) you then will have a better idea of whether you are buying value or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

Batesy wrote: »
    What are peoples opinion on buying a 2nd hand Leaf right now?

With the new Leaf coming early next year would I be mad to buy a 2nd hand one now when surely there'll be better value to be had the closer we get to the launch of the new model?

I'm starting to think January might be the right time.

It depends.

If you're looking for a near new secondhand Leaf, wait until the official release of the new one.
    If it's the bottom end of the market you're looking at, I reckon buy as soon as you're ready. Don't think the new one will affect that level of things.

I'm looking at a 2015 Tekna now but I'm thinking if I wait I may be able to afford an 161 with 30kwh charger for the same price in Jan/Feb.

I'm looking at a 2015 Tekna now but I'm thinking if I wait I may be able to afford an 161 with 30kwh charger for the same price in Jan/Feb.

Yup.

At that level, there'll be reductions alright I'd say.

• Advertisement

What's your budget?

€12k - €13k

€12k - €13k

You should get a 161 Acenta 30kWh for that kind of money in Jan particularly if sterling slips any further. About £13000 right now so add in flight, ferry and sterling its above your budget but maybe Jan it will be possible.

You might have to go a bit more if you want a 161 Tekna 30kWh.

And the 30kWh will be harder to find also since they only came out in 161 (a very small amount in 152).

Lads, how do you turn off/reset the airbag light? Does LeafSpy do it?

Disconnected the 12V battery for a while, and it's been on since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Soarer wrote: »
    Lads, how do you turn off/reset the airbag light? Does LeafSpy do it?

Disconnected the 12V battery for a while, and it's been on since.

Does the Torque android app work on the Leaf? I use that to clear lights in a couple of ICE cars

Orebro wrote: »
    Does the Torque android app work on the Leaf? I use that to clear lights in a couple of ICE cars

Will try.

It worked on the Prius before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The Leafspy Pro app lets you clear a lot of stuff. You need to add the 5th menu screen and it shows the DTCs

Orebro wrote: »

Didn't seem to work with the Leaf.

Gonna get the LeafSpy Pro. Should have it anyway for the sake of €16.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The Leafspy Pro app lets you clear a lot of stuff. You need to add the 5th menu screen and it shows the DTCs

How would you do that?

Soarer wrote: »
    How would you do that?
    I think it's in the settings screen to "show beta menu".
    I'll leave it to someone more aufait with the app to explain better than I can :o

Not to worry, found it myself. Option to "Enable Service Menu".

That LeafSpy Pro is a powerful bit of kit. Way too powerful for my ickle brain!
    Had a few errors in the system, cleared them one by one, and now I have an error free motor! One of the errors, when I cleared it, threw something up on the radio for a few seconds, and I thought I'd royally fukked something up. But it's grand.
    Annoyingly, I can't disable the driving sound. It's an option displayed but not clickable. Would like to been able to do that. Any other recommendations?

More annoyingly is resetting the errors didn't fix my airbag warning light(s). I found a little gem of information on t'internet though that worked a treat. I did this with my foot on the brake to "start" the car. I've amended the text for Leaf driving.

1. Press the start button.

2. Watch the airbag light on the dash closely. It will stay on for a few seconds and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), press the start button instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now press the start button for a fourth time and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while.
    I watched it for about a minute. Didn't know for how long.

6. Press the start button to turn it off again.

7. Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and then press the start button again. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

It worked for me anyway. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice work dude!

I think they have update the leafspy app recently.
    Mine gives me a "tap to select screen 1 of 5" on one of the screens.
    One of the new options shows the DC tapering programmed into the car BMS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

• Advertisement

Love Margot Robbie me.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lob020

Just checked with Nissan Ireland,new Leaf prices will not be announced until end of Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So finally have my home charge point installed and up and running.

Looking at the NissanConnect EV app now it says it's 2:30 to full charge under the 6Kw column, but I have 8/12 bars already available.

So that's 4bars in 2:30, which would mean if I was empty it would be 7:30, is that right?

Thought it would be a bit faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

NIMAN wrote: »
    Looking at the NissanConnect EV app now it says it's 2:30 to full charge under the 6Kw column, but I have 8/12 bars already available.

So that's 4bars in 2:30, which would mean if I was empty it would be 7:30, is that right?

Thought it would be a bit faster than that.
    Those last few percent take forever - so I wouldn't worry too much. Time it from 20 to 80% and see how you go. 2 hours should do the guts of it.

Interesting.

I might run it very low and see what time it gives to charge fully.

So basically anything up to 80% will be faster? And it slows down on the final stretch from 80%-100%?

Thanks

Charging starts to slow down at 95% so it will suck all 6.6 Kw from the mains until that point.

The the last bit will take an hour or 1.5 + hrs to charge depending on how out of balance the cells are.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

silly question as I am new to all this - if a Leaf is charged up to max, take off the charge point and left for say 4-5hrs. Would there be much difference in the battery charge/

Charging starts to slow down at 95% so it will suck all 6.6 Kw from the mains until that point.

The the last bit will take an hour or 1.5 + hrs to charge depending on how out of balance the cells are.

So say I set it to be charged for me at 6am, does it build all these calculations into its start time?

NIMAN wrote: »
    So say I set it to be charged for me at 6am, does it build all these calculations into its start time?

No, you set the timer based on the estimate it gives you in the charging menu.

It could show 100% charge and still be balancing.

If I'm leaving at 7am I set the charger for midnight with the 3.3 Kw charger , if charging from 20-30% this usually gives enough time for a full balanced charge.

Don't forget NOT to set an end timer, and end timer will mean charging ends at that time whether it's finished charging/balancing or not.

I only set end timer when I don't need full charge and just set it for 2 hrs between 7 and 9 am maybe for a bit of pottering about.

• Advertisement

Does it draw less electricity when balancing I assume?

Advertisement