Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question re: remote heating.

One of those cold mornings, I decided to remotely start the heating 10mins before leaving for the school run.

Car was still connected to the charge point, although it was fully charged.

When I arrived at car I could hear the heater blowing, so all well.

When I disconnected the charging cable the heater stopped blowing. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Soarer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Question re: remote heating.

One of those cold mornings, I decided to remotely start the heating 10mins before leaving for the school run.

Car was still connected to the charge point, although it was fully charged.

When I arrived at car I could hear the heater blowing, so all well.

When I disconnected the charging cable the heater stopped blowing. Is that normal?

Whether it's normal or not, I don't know.

The same thing happens with mine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Happens on mine. Once you unplug it stops

Yes it's perfectly normal and annoying, the I3 still blows warm air when disconnected.

What I didn't like about the Leaf either was when you set depart timer the heater stops exactly at that time and it could be 5 mins until you can get into the car, the I3 keeps blowing warm air, for how long after I do not know but it's handy.

So the i3 ignores the timer, and that's a good thing?

• Advertisement

I don't know how much extra it's active for but you'd be surprised how cool a car can get again in 5 mins taking more energy to warm it up again.

Should you not just set the timer for longer?

Yes and I have done this but then you risk the car not being fully defogged etc.

But again, should you not just set the timer for longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Soarer wrote: »
    But again, should you not just set the timer for longer?

If you set the climate control timer for 20 degrees at 8am, the car should be at that temp at 8am. It decides when it starts, I'm not aware of any setting in the Leaf to set the timer to just "run for 30 mins" or be ready at X and then run for 10 mins extra. If you tell it to be ready for 8.15 and you really want to leave at 8 then the car won't be at 20 degrees at 8.

• Advertisement

Yes pretty much exactly that above, so I'd set it to about 8:05 if you intend to leave at 8. Too long and it will not be warmed up enough.

Also setting the heat via the app will start at this time which is a bit confusing, the app timer setting is the start time and on the head unit it's the depart time.

The Leaf also won't heat at all unless plugged in if a timer is set but it will turn on via the remote app only if you heat now not set timer.

Via the app it will heat for about 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I think the point Soarer is making is that the heater should turn off at the departure time and not continue wasting energy. The engineers seem to assume that people will not get into their car at the departure time and let it run for a few more minutes. Are they saying that if you a buy a BMW, you are not punctual?

goz83 wrote: »
    I think the point Soarer is making is that the heater should turn off at the departure time and not continue wasting energy. The engineers seem to assume that people will not get into their car at the departure time and let it run for a few more minutes. Are they saying that if you a buy a BMW, you are not punctual?

Exactly.

Disobeying orders sounds very un-Germanic.

Well actually no because if the car cools off a lot it will take more energy to warm it up again that it would to run it 5-10 mins longer.

Well actually no because if the car cools off a lot it will take more energy to warm it up again that it would to run it 5-10 mins longer.

So again, why not just set the timer for longer?

So again, why not just set the timer for longer?

You can but you risk the car not being fully warmed up, the consequences might only be a bot fogged up or a bit more consumption however the same could be said for setting it for the time you want to leave and getting to the car 5 mins later.

This assumes you don’t depart at the set departure time. The car is automatically hitting a snooze button here and waiting for you. It would be a good option to have, but I don’t think it should be the set standard. Virgin Media ask me if I want to add extra recording time before a redording is set. Otherwise, it records only the start to end times. I prefer when technology does what I ask it to do.

You can but you risk the car not being fully warmed up, the consequences might only be a bot fogged up or a bit more consumption however the same could be said for setting it for the time you want to leave and getting to the car 5 mins later.

There's no way you're going to see that a car not doing what it's told isn't right, is there?

Well, "a car" maybe.
    The i3, not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

. I prefer when technology does what I ask it to do.
    Pity we cannot marry it:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

There's no way you're going to see that a car not doing what it's told isn't right, is there?

Well, "a car" maybe.
    The i3, not a chance!

What are you talking about :confused:

• Advertisement

This assumes you don’t depart at the set departure time. The car is automatically hitting a snooze button here and waiting for you. It would be a good option to have, but I don’t think it should be the set standard. Virgin Media ask me if I want to add extra recording time before a redording is set. Otherwise, it records only the start to end times. I prefer when technology does what I ask it to do.

We're talking here about having a warm car when you get into it and if you set a timer then it should stay warm until you can get to the car be it 5 or 10 mins later I find this function in the I3 very convenient as well as being able to have the heat going while you nip into a shop etc, this is a very well thought of feature which I'm assuming BMW engineers considered that it's better to keep the car warm than to let the car cool off which would take more energy to heat it back up.

Nissan engineers on the other hand just assumed that the driver would be in the car at the preset time and that's it.

One good feature of the Leaf was the ability to have the heated seats on during pre heat, that doesn't happen with the I3. The I3 also has no heated steering.

Both the Leaf and I3 have features I like and dislike , I dislike the I3 charge timer, there's no control over it whatsoever, you set a depart timer and then off peak time if you have this and it will try to do the majority of charging within this off peak time, it always wants to charge to 100% but it's clever enough to know that it may not be able to charge within the off peak period and may charge an hour or two before hand then stop when it knows it can do the majority of charging in the off peak time.

The BMW app is convenient , it allows you to set a 7 day timer and has 3 timers. The Leaf can only turn on charging and nothing else and can set one heat timer.

I like the Leafs control over charging, I can give it one or two hours charge for example or set to 80%, in other words, I can for 2 or 3 hrs for some pottering about mileage which ensures it's never at a high state of charge for long.

The I3 will always just charge to 100% and you can't do anything apart from plug it out. But I expect the majority of people when charging will only charge to 100% then then plug and drive it a couple of days before charging again.

Nissan engineers on the other hand just assumed that the driver would be in the car at the preset time and that's it.

That's what I'm on about!

The engineers "just assumed" that when someone sets a timer to go off at a certain time, that the timer goes off at that time? Of course that's what's supposed to happen! It's the whole bloody point of a timer!
    It's like me having a timer on my bedroom light set to turn off at 22:30 because that's the time I want to go to sleep.
    The Nissan timer will go off at 22:30.
    The BMW timer will stay on for an extra 5 or 10 minutes in case I haven't got into bed yet!

Your logic on timers is skewed. The brilliant i3 timer is the only timer I've ever heard of that doesn't go off when it's supposed to. In my world, that means it doesn't work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Soarer I think you're wrong here. Nobody goes about their business to the second. I often set a timer to precon the car and never once have been in the car at that exact time. Who does?
    So in this case having my i3 running for a few minutes extra means the car is still warm/cool when I eventually get into it. If I get into it on time then nothing additional happens.

If I'm wrong, then all timers are wrong!

If you don't think you'll be out to your car at the time the timer ends, then that's your fault, not the timer's. What you need to do is set the end time of the timer for 5 minutes later.

Can't believe people think that setting a timer for a certain time and it doesn't go off is a good thing.

While it may be convenient for the heat to stay on for a few minutes, I think the user should have control over that. It wouldn’t be difficult for the engineers to make it optional for the heat to stay on for a few minutes, or turn off when the user asks it to.

Yera, we'll just agree to disagree.

Edit: Not aimed at you goz. Our posts crossed in the ether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I honestly don't see your issue with it. If you're in the car by the timer then it's no different to your Leaf. If however you can't find the keys, need a quick trip to the bathroom etc. before leaving or any other delaying issue the car stays warm or cool. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Anyone ever experience a 'T/M System Malfunction Vist Dealer' error???

:(

No.

• Advertisement

Batesy wrote: »
    Anyone ever experience a 'T/M System Malfunction Vist Dealer' error???

:(

Never have.

Maybe LeafSpy and clear error?

Advertisement