Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

It was odd. Got the error when I turned off the car last night and was dreading this morning but all was well.

I think it’s either to do with the 12v battery or the transmission.

Anyone struggle to put it into gear on startup? I take a few attempts to get it to select.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats a 12v issue, I had it a few months ago.
    Charged the battery overnight on a trickle charger and its been fine since

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When you use the heated steering wheel and heated seats, does the power come from the 12v battery or the car's main batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Yip I've seen that error come up a few times on other forums - problem was the 12v battery on all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

NIMAN wrote: »
    When you use the heated steering wheel and heated seats, does the power come from the 12v battery or the car's main batteries?

12V

The three things running off the 400V system are the motor, Heat Pump/AC and a DC-DC converter that runs occasionally to charge the 12V system

• Advertisement

cros13 wrote: »
    12V

The three things running off the 400V system are the motor, Heat Pump/AC and a DC-DC converter that runs occasionally to charge the 12V system

Would long term use of all the heated things kill the 12v battery quickly?

The OH loves her heat and tends to have them on anytime she's in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The heated seat on my wife's side is permanently on full blast.

And in this weather my side is also usually on low.

Heated steering wheel usually only in the morning preheat though.

One thing I miss in the I3 is that the heated seats do not come on with the timer and there's no heated steering but on the + side the seats warm up a lot faster than the Leaf seats from cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Heated steering bejaysus who needs that in this country? :rolleyes:

How long does it take for the seats to warm up in Leaf and i3? I guess it takes about 20-30s in Ioniq from memory, but I would have to measure it a bit more scientifically to be sure. The heating system in Ioniq is pretty awesome with it using 7kW to heat your frozen car. That said, my range these days when fully charged at home with the heat at full blast during this very cold spell is displayed as 205km without aircon and only 175km with it! :eek:

unkel wrote: »
    Heated steering bejaysus who needs that in this country? :rolleyes:

How long does it take for the seats to warm up in Leaf and i3? I guess it takes about 20-30s in Ioniq from memory, but I would have to measure it a bit more scientifically to be sure. The heating system in Ioniq is pretty awesome with it using 7kW to heat your frozen car. That said, my range these days when fully charged at home with the heat at full blast during this very cold spell is displayed as 205km without aircon and only 175km with it! :eek:
    All well and good for an Ioniq owner to say that!
    It saves me range on my 24kWh leaf as for my 55km commute I don't really need to use the heater, if I use the combination of preheat to 30 degrees and heated seats + wheel. On the off chance I need the heater on a really cold day I can set it to auto and 22 degrees, after a preheat, it doesnt take much energy.

Needs must in a 24kWh leaf!

No I have not seen any issue in my 12v battery, it's still on the same "Renault Nissan" branded one that came with the car. I have the heated seats and heated wheel permanently on. There's no noticeable impact on range/12v.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The OH had a flat tyre the other evening. 4 kids in the car. I drove to the location and used the tyre sealant. It didn’t work at all. The whole bottle of sealant just oozed out onto the footpath. Either the hole was too big, or the sealant was gone off. Checking the date, it had 2014 on it. So it only lasts for 2 years?

Got a flat bed and delivered to the local Atlas and had a new tyre fit the next morning. Divanti 16”. €80

Having no spare is the biggest flaw with the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

goz83 wrote: »
    The OH had a flat tyre the other evening. 4 kids in the car. I drove to the location and used the tyre sealant. It didn’t work at all. The whole bottle of sealant just oozed out onto the footpath. Either the hole was too big, or the sealant was gone off. Checking the date, it had 2014 on it. So it only lasts for 2 years?

Got a flat bed and delivered to the local Atlas and had a new tyre fit the next morning. Divanti 16”. €80

You can buy one of those space savers or a full sized wheel. I went the full sized wheel route as I didn't want to be speed restricted with the space saver.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103238261&postcount=79

I've used it more than once now so its money well spent!

Agreed.
    I bought a spare wheel (space saver) from Phil in Electric Autos, as I had the ignominy of being stuck at the side of the road.
    As it turns out I've used the spare twice since so it was well worth the small outlay!

The problem is storing it. When the kids are in the car, the boot is packed. That was true on this occasion. There was a stroller and a bunch of bags as they were coming back from swimming. A space saver wouldn’t have fit unless a bag, or two went into the passenger footwell.

Though it might be something we have to live with, so getting spares really should be the priority.....although I would still have to drive out and change the bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

KCross wrote: »
    You can buy one of those space savers or a full sized wheel. I went the full sized wheel route as I didn't want to be speed restricted with the space saver.

That's very interesting - would like to do something like this myself.

How do you secure it? In the event of a crash, would something like this have to potential to become a projectile into the cabin if it wasn't screwed down properly like in other cars?

The problem is storing it. When the kids are in the car, the boot is packed. That was true on this occasion. There was a stroller and a bunch of bags as they were coming back from swimming. A space saver wouldn’t have fit unless a bag, or two went into the passenger footwell.

Though it might be something we have to live with, so getting spares really should be the priority.....although I would still have to drive out and change the bloody thing.

Just keep the spare at home, thats what I do. Its not going to be a common occurrence and when it happens again you will probably still get the call to come out and change it unless your wife is good for swinging off a spanner?!

So, just leave the wheel at home and organise to get it brought to the car when you need it. It will save you the flatbed. If you happen to be doing a longer journey then throw it in and dont forget to put in a jack as well 'cause the Leaf doesn't come with one of those either!

Just keep the spare at home, thats what I do. Its not going to be a common occurrence and when it happens again you will probably still get the call to come out and change it unless your wife is good for swinging off a spanner?!

So, just leave the wheel at home and organise to get it brought to the car when you need it. It will save you the flatbed. If you happen to be doing a longer journey then throw it in and dont forget to put in a jack as well 'cause the Leaf doesn't come with one of those either!

Yeah, that’s what i’ll do. But the Leaf does have a jack. I used it the other night. It’s stored in the side panel of thenboot with the compressor. Thats the 2012 Leaf. And the way it was stored tells leads me to believe it came with the car.

Hmm. Mine doesn't come with a jack or even a place where one would be stored.
    Perhaps it's the gen1 (japanese) leafs that come with it only.

Yeah, that’s what i’ll do. But the Leaf does have a jack. I used it the other night. It’s stored in the side panel of thenboot with the compressor. Thats the 2012 Leaf. And the way it was stored tells leads me to believe it came with the car.

Not mine. I bought mine as an ex-demo so I doubt they removed the jack.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Hmm. Mine doesn't come with a jack or even a place where one would be stored.
    Perhaps it's the gen1 (japanese) leafs that come with it only.

That might be it.

There is a brace attached to the rear quarter panel. The jack is secured to the brace by closing it fully, inserting into the brace and then opening the brace until it is self secured.

I don't think my 2012 Leaf is a Jap model. I test drove a Jap model in Airside and the buttons were Japanese. My car has nothing in Japanese. The service history from the start also has no japanese garages mentioned :D

My 2014 UK Leaf also has this brace (I just checked) but is missing the jack. It takes a scissor jack.

Now it is possible that someone put the scissor jack into the 2012 Leaf, but it didn't appear to have anything disturbed until I took it out the other night.

• Advertisement

There is a brace attached to the rear quarter panel. The jack is secured to the brace by closing it fully, inserting into the brace and then opening the brace until it is self secured.

I don't think my 2012 Leaf is a Jap model. I test drove a Jap model in Airside and the buttons were Japanese. My car has nothing in Japanese. The service history from the start also has no japanese garages mentioned :D

My 2014 UK Leaf also has this brace (I just checked) but is missing the jack. It takes a scissor jack.

Now it is possible that someone put the scissor jack into the 2012 Leaf, but it didn't appear to have anything disturbed until I took it out the other night.

When I say jap model I mean gen1 leaf, ie not gen 1.5 built in the UK but 2013 and before, built in Japan.
    If your leaf is a 2012, it's a japanese leaf.

I can tell you my leaf has no section for any wheel brace, let alone a wheel brace or jack.

When I say jap model I mean gen1 leaf, ie not gen 1.5 built in the UK but 2013 and before, built in Japan.
    If your leaf is a 2012, it's a japanese leaf.

I can tell you my leaf has no section for any wheel brace, let alone a wheel brace or jack.

Ah yes, I get what you mean now.

So the 2012 is a Jap Leaf and the 2014 is UK. Both have the brace for the Jack. I would be very surprised if yours didn't. Open the boot, unclip the trim on the left where the compressor is stored. There is a bracket in the centre which protudes out by about 4-5cm and has 1cm "L" bend down. Under that bracket is a shelf where the jack sits.

Ah yes, I get what you mean now.

So the 2012 is a Jap Leaf and the 2014 is UK. Both have the brace for the Jack. I would be very surprised if yours didn't. Open the boot, unclip the trim on the left where the compressor is stored. There is a bracket in the centre which protudes out by about 4-5cm and has 1cm "L" bend down. Under that bracket is a shelf where the jack sits.
    Mine's a 2014 UK import, and does not have anything in that.
    I have a section of the boot that removes, and what looks like where a wheel brace and jack could have been clipped but there isnt anything there in mine.
    I don't know if mine was removed - perhaps on the way over from the UK? - or didnt come with one in the first place, but in either case I don't have one

Mine's a 2014 UK import, and does not have anything in that.
    I have a section of the boot that removes, and what looks like where a wheel brace and jack could have been clipped but there isnt anything there in mine.
    I don't know if mine was removed - perhaps on the way over from the UK? - or didnt come with one in the first place, but in either case I don't have one

I see. My 2014 UK Leaf is only missing the Jack. It has the compressor and fluid (the fluid apparently costs a fortune and is only in date for 2 years). There is a toolkit with a wheel brace, a towing hook and funnily enough, the jack bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have a 141 UK import. Had the crappy fluid (had to use it recently and it poured straight out the hole) but no jack. I bought one along with a space saver wheel that I have built into a false boot floor that holds all my cables and extension lead etc.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have a 141 UK import. Had the crappy fluid (had to use it recently and it poured straight out the hole) but no jack. I bought one along with a space saver wheel that I have built into a false boot floor that holds all my cables and extension lead etc.

I have that project in mind alright. More so for neat storage of cables.

Whilst on the subject of tyres, what are the top recommendations for Leaf tyres?

Obviously the main consideration on an EV is a low drag tyre?

Apparently Juke alloys fit the Leaf as well and a few 17" being sold here at a reasonable price
    https://speakev.com/threads/leaf-wheels.89305/#post-1581305

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Apparently Juke alloys fit the Leaf as well and a few 17" being sold here at a reasonable price
    https://speakev.com/threads/leaf-wheels.89305/#post-1581305

Interesting, anyone have any idea what full size wheel fits a Leaf Acenta with standard spec wheels, like these:
    https://ie-i.atcdn.co.uk/imgser-ie/servlet/media?id=44782400-d4f7-4ee2-af99-8562be293006&width=640&height=480

• Advertisement

Anyone know the fitting for a Nissan Leaf space saver wheel?

I know it's 5 stud, but I'm guessing all brands have different spacing etc.

Would this be a possibility?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims-tyres/vauxhall-vectra-space-saver-spare-wheel/1279847381

Advertisement