Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

One reason I got the Rex, complete freedom from the network if needed !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I still have a 5 seater petrol car that costs just €56 to tax for the year, and €100 for comprehensive insurance, so hopefully I will never be stuck ;)

Just wish some people would be less ignorant. My Scottish colleague, who just moved to Belfast, drove to our Dublin office early Friday morning. At one of the M1 fast chargers, an Irish man in a Leaf was charging very slowly. When my colleague talked to him, the man insisted he wanted to charge to 100%. Which in a Leaf takes over an hour. Very, very inconsiderate seeing as my colleague had to wait for your man to finish, to continue his long journey.

What's the story anyway? Why does Nissan let a Leaf charge at 7kW at a fast charger? At least Hyundai cuts off charging when you reach 94% and the charging is at a pathetic 20kW.

Yep it's a pain in ass, I had to endure the network daily for 9 months at Naas !

The 40 Kwh Leaf will take a while to charge to 80%, roughly 40 mins.

As batteries grow so too will the time needed for a 80% charge. People will do whatever they want and not care about anyone else. I had to endure locals at Naas who were charging only because they could , because they had the right to charge, because it was free and had no consideration for people like me who needed the network to get home.

Horrible mentality but common, quiet sad that someone would take up the network knowing I needed it for only 10 mins , they'd disappear into the shopping centre only to come back up to 1 hr later and they went in knowing I only needed 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Naas is probably the worst FCP in the country. With that c..t in her Audi not making things better. How you relied on the charger every day is beyond me!
    As batteries grow so too will the time needed for a 80% charge.

Nah. The first 350kW chargers have been installed already. In a few years you can charge your 60kW battery (that can take 350kW charging) from 20% to 80% in not much more than 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »
    What's the story anyway? Why does Nissan let a Leaf charge at 7kW at a fast charger? At least Hyundai cuts off charging when you reach 94% and the charging is at a pathetic 20kW.

At 99% it'll be charging at 1KW, so consider yourself lucky! :)
    Nah. The first 350kW chargers have been installed already. In a few years you can charge your 60kW battery (that can take 350kW charging) from 20% to 80% in not much more than 5 minutes.

Due to current battery chemistry no battery can take in 36KW in 5 minutes. If they could we'd have mobile phones that could charge by 60% in 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yep it's a pain in ass, I had to endure the network daily for 9 months at Naas !

The 40 Kwh Leaf will take a while to charge to 80%, roughly 40 mins.

As batteries grow so too will the time needed for a 80% charge. People will do whatever they want and not care about anyone else. I had to endure locals at Naas who were charging only because they could , because they had the right to charge, because it was free and had no consideration for people like me who needed the network to get home.

Horrible mentality but common, quiet sad that someone would take up the network knowing I needed it for only 10 mins , they'd disappear into the shopping centre only to come back up to 1 hr later and they went in knowing I only needed 10 mins.

Unfortunately the vast majority of people have now turned that way. Its a dog eat dog world out there, every man (and woman) for themselves, sod the rest of ye's.

People who had a battery at 95% would think nothing of hogging a charger to get the extra 5% cos its free.

As soon as free public charging is gone, we'll see a big difference in attitudes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Naas is probably the worst FCP in the country. With that c..t in her Audi not making things better. How you relied on the charger every day is beyond me!

Im intrigued. Tells us about the c..t in the Audi!

That day might come. Maybe if solid state batteries live up to the hype but it will be quite a while before they make it into an affordable EV. I'd suggest a decade away.

The GP might take the driving license off you by then! :D

You're getting ahead of yourself there, some of the German Electrics "might" be able to take this rate of charging but I doubt many will be on the road before 2025 as they're far too behind the race now.

As for the rest, it will be a good few years before electrics can take 350 odd Kw , as advanced as Tesla are they can't charge their 100 Kwh battery at this rate, they might even be the first to do it in a few years and the rest follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Should a PHEV give way to a Rex.
    And the REX give way to a 24kw, which gives way to a 30kw which must give way to 40 which must give way for a 60....

And the Ioniq drives home.

:)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Should a PHEV give way to a Rex.
    And the REX give way to a 24kw, which gives way to a 30kw which must give way to 40 which must give way for a 60....

And the Ioniq drives home.

:)

Ideally the person charging their phev/rex/bev shoukd give way to any other car that can plug in.....as long as they have enough energy to get to their destination comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

We should just get a public network of chargers that is adequate but the CRU have made sure that won't happen any time soon!

http://www.oreilly.ie/future-of-electric-vehicle-public-charging-infrastructure/

goz83 wrote: »
    Ideally the person charging their phev/rex/bev shoukd give way to any other car that can plug in.....as long as they have enough energy to get to their destination comfortably.

Most people hogging the network and disappearing into shopping centers are BEV owners.

I'll charge up if I need to but I won't be a dick about it, I'll take enough , but I also did when I had the Leaf. Many times I had to wait at Naas telling people I only need 10 mins yet they say "well I got here first too bad", and that's fine, I accepted this but coming back up to 1 hr later was completely unacceptable and downright wrong and basically shrugging their shoulders if I made any comment.

People can be so despicable, so i'll take a charge in my Rex when I need/want it but without being an inconsiderate asshole.

Another general Leaf question popped into my head today as I was driving.

What percentage of lost battery power is regained by the regenerative braking?

For example, if I am climbing a steep hill 200 yards long, and the power bar requires me to push it to 5 to get up, and I freewheel down it on my return and it gives me a full 4 bars regen, what % of the used power would I get back?

I'm guessing it's probably a 'i have no idea and nobody will' answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

On the way down the far side of the Glenshane Pass heading towards Belfast, I will add around 3-4%.

On the way home after charging at the Glenshane fast charger, I'll lose about 10-11% driving up the same hill.

Not sure if that helps at all!

NIMAN wrote: »

For example, if I am climbing a steep hill 200 yards long, and the power bar requires me to push it to 5 to get up, and I freewheel down it on my return and it gives me a full 4 bars regen, what % of the used power would I get back?

Max regen is 30kW.
    Im not sure what power 5 dots takes out of the battery but lets say it is 40kW's on the basis that the car has an 80kW motor and I think there are 10 dots so 5 dots would suggest 40kW?

So, I suppose 40kW up the hill for, say, 10secs and then 30kW regen down the other side for 10secs means you ended up using 10kW for 10secs.

Its not quite as simple as that as the regen is not 100% efficient.

The best way to really answer the question is monitor it on LeafSpy... it will give you a much better picture of what you used and got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

That sounds about right DrPhilG as I read from somewhere before that the regen can capture up to 30ish percent of kinetic energy. The rest is consumed by air drag and rolling resistance and the inefficiency of the regen itself.

Some smarty pants on here!

Thanks.

I found steep hills can equal out at the end. For instance , the first time I took the Leaf up the Wicklow Mountains , up the Wicklow Gap into Glendalough park, I was sure I made a mistake by taking that trip but what you loose going up you gain back down but mostly due to not needing power on the way back down and not because of regen.

I used B mode for this type of driving and use the throttle to adjust regen strength so I got just enough regen to slow me when needed and coast the rest. I was very relieved when I got back down to laragh, I then proceeded through Glenmalure, Aughavannagh, Rathdangan and home through Baltinglass.

Anyone familiar with those roads know they are some seriously steep routes but not particularly fast. I think I generated about 5% back to the battery in all that, not a lot but better to have it than want it, the point being that Hills can balance out.

Well, its happened.

My NissanEV app stopped working this morning too.

Did any of you guys get it sorted out yet?
    Do I have to call Nissan?

Well, its happened.

My NissanEV app stopped working this morning too.

Did any of you guys get it sorted out yet?
    Do I have to call Nissan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I suspect that the servers were very busy and/or crashed this morning. Via the Android app LeafManager I was able to activate heater this morning but it took over 10 minutes for the request to be sent and the heater to activate.

The 3.1.0 app version hasn't worked for me at all. An updated Android version was pushed yesterday which may have broken your app if you're a fellow Android user. I opened a support ticket for my issue this morning via the Play store with detailed data. Hopefully it will be solved soon. In the meantime I suggest that you do the same stating that you're in Ireland. Add as much detail as possible for the ticket (Android version, phone make model, App version and date, whether the issue is intermittent or fails every time).

samih wrote: »
    I suspect that the servers were very busy and/or crashed this morning. Via the Android app LeafManager I was able to activate heater this morning but it took over 10 minutes for the request to be sent and the heater to activate.

The 3.1.0 app version hasn't worked for me at all. An updated Android version was pushed yesterday which may have broken your app if you're a fellow Android user. I opened a support ticket for my issue this morning via the Play store with detailed data. Hopefully it will be solved soon. In the meantime I suggest that you do the same stating that you're in Ireland. Add as much detail as possible for the ticket (Android version, phone make model, App version and date, whether the issue is intermittent or fails every time).

Just tried it again and it is working again, but definitely slower than usual.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nissan App worked perfect for me this morning.
    iOS if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Hi guys, I'm looking for some feedback on battery stats from those that have experience of leafspy. I'm thinking of buying this 161 30 Kwh Leaf at the moment. The high number of rapid charges are obviously a concern but the SOH of 98% is encouraging. Can the improved battery chemistry in the 30Kwh take that many rapid charges without negative impact?

Any advice welcome.

Dmangan wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some feedback on battery stats from those that have experience of leafspy. I'm thinking of buying this 161 30 Kwh Leaf at the moment. The high number of rapid charges are obviously a concern but the SOH of 98% is encouraging. Can the improved battery chemistry in the 30Kwh take that many rapid charges without negative impact?

Any advice welcome.

That leafspy output is not a 30kWh car. It's a 24kWh

Are you looking at the Ah? Is that number when fully charged or current? The SOC was 47%? If you're certain, thanks a million for pointing this out. Save me wasting any more time!

KCross wrote: »

That leafspy output is not a 30kWh car. It's a 24kWh

Yep, small bit of reading confirms. Very much appreciated. I didn't have a clue what I was looking at! To be fair, I don't think that the seller was trying to do me, he just didn't know what he was selling I reckon. Knew nothing about the car. Either he was genuine and oblivious or an incredible actor!

Thanks again

Question, does regen braking in 'B' Mode get stronger as the battery loses power?

I notice when I drive off first thing in the morning with a full charge, and go down a few hills, the regen is only half on the scale, whereas later in the day its full regen.

Question, does regen braking in 'B' Mode get stronger as the battery loses power?

I notice when I drive off first thing in the morning with a full charge, and go down a few hills, the regen is only half on the scale, whereas later in the day its full regen.

Yes. And regen is reduced I believe depending on the temp of the battery.

• Advertisement

Dmangan wrote: »

Any advice welcome.

That amount of fast charges may equate to one charge per day. And even if it was just for 10 mins it will register as a charge on that number.

For example, I was going Finglas-dundrum-Finglas today.
    Left Finglas at 60% and passing topaz noticed the FCP was free so I grabbed 10 mins just to bump it up. On way home a few hours later, charger was free again so grabbed 10 mins to keep her topped up.

That would register at 2 QC’s on leafspy.
    Also, when I bought my leaf a year ago the SOH was at 87%, it’s now 88% so it can vary.

Advertisement