Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

Yeah you'd have to go to the North.

Anything can go wrong, not saying it will. I just couldn't be bothered having to travel that distance make my own way back most likely and have to drive back up again when it's fixed.

I have not heard of any major faults with the Soul EV anyway but I guess I like to know I can get repairs done a lot closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

ELM327 wrote: »
    You will make that no problem.
    Probably without the midpoint charging. I had a 120km mostly motorway commute in a 24kWh leaf and did 60k km in one.
    If you charge for 2 hours on a granny cable you'll get 4 kWh (2.2kW * 2 hours - charging loss)
    4kWh is 19% of the battery replenished (4kWh/21kWh usable).
    For 19% you should get 20-22km motorway at 100km/h.

You were spot on. Picked up 13% on the granny but got home with 21% so would have made it without the charge. Just!

Thanks again for the reply in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

110km on the motorway in a 24kWh Leaf with a little bit to spare???

How the hell did you do that? Surely you weren't driving anywhere near 120km/h (130km/h indicated) then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    110km on the motorway in a 24kWh Leaf with a little bit to spare???

How the hell did you do that? Surely you weren't driving anywhere near 120km/h (130km/h indicated) then?
    I did it regularly between 100 and 110km indicated.
    At 120km/h real world (128 indicated) you would not make 100km in most real scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

I did it regularly between 100 and 110km indicated.
    At 120km/h real world (128 indicated) you would not make 100km in most real scenarios.
    So 120km with approx 60km motorway is possible in 24kwh leaf if you keep to 110km/hr or below? As I'd only have to do that sort of trip once every 2 weeks or so dropping my speed wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Can I ask how many bars does your leaf have remaining to do that trip?

• Advertisement

insular1 wrote: »
    So 120km with approx 60km motorway is possible in 24kwh leaf if you keep to 110km/hr or below? As I'd only have to do that sort of trip once every 2 weeks or so dropping my speed wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Can I ask how many bars does your leaf have remaining to do that trip?
    I've just sold mine but it had all 12 bars and around 92% state of health remaining (8% degradation after 100k km)

120km is possible.
    110km is more possible!

I would suggest you do like i did. I did the trip at 90km/H and then did it again at 100 then again at 110 if it's a regular trip you will have benchmarks. You would want to be at a charger after 120km.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I done Finglas to Cavan last year.
    All motorway. Results from this thread are :

80kmh - 29km used 26%
    90kmh - 5km used 5%
    110kmh - 4km used 5%
    Navan FCP to Slieve Russel Hotel used 82%.
    From memory I drove the last keg of that journey at higher speed as I knew I’d make it (Cavan Town - Hotel).

Greystones to Leixlip to Celbridge and back to Greystones so prob 70 to 80% motorway. Stuck to 100km/h indicated on the way out but then increased to 115 ish km/h indicated on the way back when i could see i would have plenty left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Dmangan wrote: »
    Greystones to Leixlip to Celbridge and back to Greystones so prob 70 to 80% motorway. Stuck to 100km/h indicated on the way out but then increased to 115 ish km/h indicated on the way back when i could see i would have plenty left.

Roughly speaking what distance is involved in that journey and have you a 24kw Leaf? Thanks

creedp wrote: »

Roughly speaking what distance is involved in that journey and have you a 24kw Leaf? Thanks

Its 111km total. I have a 24 kwh Leaf. The "motorway" section is exit 10 on n11 to celbridge east on n4.

• Advertisement

Its 111km total. I have a 24 kwh Leaf. The "motorway" section is exit 10 on n11 to celbridge east on n4.

Thanks for that. Interesting that if taken easy a 24kw could reach 111km albeit with a certain amount of range anxiety.

That effectively means that you averaged below 100km/h real speed on the motorway. Now I'm less surprised you would have made it without charging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

NIMAN wrote: »
    Another question about the Leaf.

Is there a known corrosion issue with the alloys on the Tekna?

The one I bought has some strange pattern on one of the alloys, and its also visible on this Leaf for sale too
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263180809041?ul_noapp=true

And the one I nearly bought in the UK also had it as the seller told me only thing he could see that was wrong with car was corrosion on the alloys.

grogi wrote: »
    Diamond cuts alloys...

This corrosion is called 'white worm' and is common to all diamond cut wheels - not the most durable finish...
    kceire wrote: »
    Mines the same, it's Very similar to the 18" wheels on the Mk5 Gilf GTi. Water gets under the lacquer and corrodes. If I ever refurb I would go dark charcoal or something, I wouldn't diamond cut again.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have similar marks on one of my Tekna alloys too.

I have something similar with my Tekna/SVE but not too bad. One alloy in particular had a bad patch. I reported it a few weeks ago to the local dealer, they took pics and sent it off to Nissan Ireland and they've agreed to give me 4 new alloys! I would have been happy with two! :)

I also noticed one other issue was the top two corners of the windscreen were gone a weird white colour, like water had got inside a layer of the glass or something even though the inside of the car was fine (i.e. its not leaking)... they agreed to replace that as well under warranty.

My 3yr all parts warranty is up in a few weeks time so Im a happy camper!

I really cannot fault Nissan so far with how they have dealt with warranty issues on my car and I didnt even buy it here! Note, they replaced the rear axle as well last year to fix the rear tyre wear issue.

I've booked it in for a service as well. I was thinking about not servicing it but considering this dealer has been so accommodating to date Im happy to give them the "free" money. They are going to change the brake fluid this time as well as the usual cabin filter and the other checks... €170 ish, I think... he is to come back to me with a price for the "major" service.

EDIT: Here is how they look. First two have some bad patches. The lower two aren't as bad.
    445346.jpg
    445347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it a 3yr warranty? Damn

My 141 Leaf has a couple of spots of corrosion on the alloys.

Too late you think to take it to my local dealer?

Is it a 3yr warranty? Damn

My 141 Leaf has a couple of spots of corrosion on the alloys.

Too late you think to take it to my local dealer?

Yea, 3yrs for all parts. There is a 5yr on the EV drivetrain inc battery.

He was insistent that I book it in before the expiry date of my warranty so I'd say if you are outside your 3yr date it will be a bit harder to convince them to do it.... it would be a goodwill gesture rather than warranty... worth a try I suppose.

KCross wrote: »
    I've booked it in for a service as well. I was thinking about not servicing it but considering this dealer has been so accommodating to date Im happy to give them the "free" money. They are going to change the brake fluid this time as well as the usual cabin filter and the other checks... €170 ish, I think... he is to come back to me with a price for the "major" service.

Has anyone had the "major" service done where they replaced the brake fluid? What were you charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I...I also noticed one other issue was the top two corners of the windscreen were gone a weird white colour, like water had got inside a layer of the glass or something even though the inside of the car was fine (i.e. its not leaking)... they agreed to replace that as well under warranty....

I think this is known as a Delaminateing Windscreen...google it etc.

beauf wrote: »
    I think this is known as a Delaminateing Windscreen...google it etc.

Spot on, yes, thats what it is looking at the pics google threw back.
    The top two corners of mine had that "milky" look, about 2-3 inches in radius from the corner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Has anyone had the "major" service done where they replaced the brake fluid? What were you charged?

€139 for service, brake fluid and pollen filter in Hutton & Meade last March for my 141 Tekna.

• Advertisement

Would love a 30kwh Leaf with the 6.6kw charger but after looking around for a couple of weeks it seems difficult to find one less than €17k landed and that is with acenta spec.

I'm now debating whether I should hang on for a couple of years before going the EV route when the higher range cars will be more plentiful and affordable and go the hybrid route now especially as the likes of a 2012+ Prius can be got for €11k to €13k. Will give it a couple of more weeks and then decide as I need to put a 2nd car on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

What about a Kia Soul? Basically a 30kWh 6.6kW Leaf in a Soul shell.

media?id=896454a0144a4e3da9e714fc617cdf94&width=720&height=540&paddingColour=e8e8e3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Soarer wrote: »
    What about a Kia Soul? Basically a 30kWh 6.6kW Leaf in an even uglier shell.

media?id=896454a0144a4e3da9e714fc617cdf94&width=720&height=540&paddingColour=e8e8e3

Fixed your post...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Fixed your post...

Beauty, beholder, etc.

I actually think the Soul is a funky little yolk.

Would love a 30kwh Leaf with the 6.6kw charger but after looking around for a couple of weeks it seems difficult to find one less than €17k landed and that is with acenta spec.

I'm now debating whether I should hang on for a couple of years before going the EV route when the higher range cars will be more plentiful and affordable and go the hybrid route now especially as the likes of a 2012+ Prius can be got for €11k to €13k. Will give it a couple of more weeks and then decide as I need to put a 2nd car on the road.

A 2016 Leaf 30kWh for €17k is far better value than a 2012 Prius for €12k in my book!

Do you really need the 30kWh for your daily drive? A 2015 24kWh should be had for about €10k. Much better value again and my pick of the bunch here.

Soarer wrote: »
    Beauty, beholder, etc.

I actually think the Soul is a funky little yolk.

Its funky alright but it might be difficult to live with those looks in the longer term!! Will have a look at prices to see whether price discount could offset odd bout of indigestion!!

unkel wrote: »
    A 2016 Leaf 30kWh for €17k is far better value than a 2012 Prius for €12k in my book!

Do you really need the 30kWh for your daily drive? A 2015 24kWh should be had for about €10k. Much better value again and my pick of the bunch here.

Unfortunately my commute is my problem - almost 130km round trip with no work charging as of now. Another option is to opt for a 30kwh car but forgo the 6kw charger which seems to add a premium to the price. You can easily buy a 30kwh Techna with 3.3kw charger for same price as the 6.6kw Acenta. This may be down to volume as anything - there just seems to be very limited availability of the 30kwh battery and 6.6kw charger at the moment

It all comes down to your usage. The 6.6kw charger was of no value to me given that all my charging is done overnight. If you won't use it, don't pay for it. Simples.

But if you've got work charging, particularly if you have to share the charger, it's better to be able to fully charge in 4 hours than 8-9

• Advertisement

But if you've got work charging, particularly if you have to share the charger, it's better to be able to fully charge in 4 hours than 8-9

To be honest I very much doubt I will have access to work charging in the near future. The reason I was hoping to get a 6.6kw was that I could use public AC chargers in towns / car parks etc to top up where a fast DC wasn't available. Is that worth up to a €2k premium is the question I am struggling with!

Advertisement