Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

creedp wrote: »
    To be honest I very much doubt I will have access to work charging in the near future. The reason I was hoping to get a 6.6kw was that I could use public AC chargers in towns / car parks etc to top up where a fast DC wasn't available. Is that worth up to a €2k premium is the question I am struggling with!

It is very handy for that exact reason. Basically, you'll never be stuck, just delayed a little. If ours was 3.3 it'd never see a public SCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

ELM327 wrote: »
    But if you've got work charging, particularly if you have to share the charger, it's better to be able to fully charge in 4 hours than 8-9

To be honest I very much doubt I will have access to work charging in the near future. The reason I was hoping to get a 6.6kw was that I could use public AC chargers in towns / car parks etc to top up where a fast DC wasn't available. Is that worth up to a €2k premium is the question I am struggling with!
    The day you buy is the day you sell.
    Sure would make the car easier to sell in the future.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've been stuck waiting 1.5 hours at an SCP when the only FCP was down. That would have been 3 hours with a 3.3kW charger. There's the difference.

Also... I've charged enough in 2 hours to get home, when parked anyway, meaning I didnt need to stop on the way home.

Debate about 6.6kW charging? Paging MadLad.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Debate about 6.6kW charging? Paging MadLad.....

He'll now say you need 11kW minimum. And that you're better off with a hybrid given the state of our charging network :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I have the 6.6 charging on my 30kwh and I'm glad I held out for it. Not only is it faster to charge on the SCPs, remember it will also be faster to charge on your home charge point. This can be very handy if you get home with a low battery and need to head out again - it will have charged faster. It also obviously doesn't take as long to fully charge overnight - i think on the home point from empty it is over 12hrs on the 30kwh 3.3, whereas the 6.6 is much faster and means you can fully charge on the lower overnight electricity tariff.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    He'll now say you need 11kW minimum. And that you're better off with a hybrid given the state of our charging network :p

lol 11 Kw is pretty great to be honest.

22 Kwh per 2 hrs is the 24 Kwh Leaf charged to 100% , nothing to sniff at to be honest.

I doubt you'll complain much if I start recommending the Hyundai Kona 64 Kwh if they do indeed install a 22 Kw AC charger ! ;) then all AC points become fast chargers , in fact look at the disastrous 40 Kwh leaf which has been seen fast charging at 22 Kw on a 2nd fast charge.

And yeah I love having 150-170 odd Kms range + the backup of a generator while still maintaining a 100 % ev drive , love it ! ;)

I doubt you'll complain much if I start recommending the Hyundai Kona 64 Kwh if they do indeed install a 22 Kw AC charger ! ;) then all AC points become fast chargers

More is better, but I wouldn't pay a cent extra for it. And 22kW is still slow charging in my book ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dmangan wrote: »
    It all comes down to your usage. The 6.6kw charger was of no value to me given that all my charging is done overnight. If you won't use it, don't pay for it. Simples.

I wanted a 6.6Kw charger as the night rate only lasts for 8hrs, and I wanted to make sure it was able to be fully charged within that time period and still run an electric shower or tumble dryer within the period.

Night rate is 9 hours. Even a 24kWh Leaf that is completely empty at 3.3kW is fully charged in just over 7 hours. And did you really spend €900 to avoid paying 7 cents more for the occasional hour charging during peak rates, say twice a week?

It would take 120 years for that investment to pay for itself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Unless he keeps the car for its entire life you cannot ammortise the €900. Might get it back and more on resale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Night rate is 9 hours. Even a 24kWh Leaf that is completely empty at 3.3kW is fully charged in just over 7 hours. And did you really spend €900 to avoid paying 7 cents more for the occasional hour charging during peak rates, say twice a week?

It would take 120 years for that investment to pay for itself :p

I bought 2nd hand, so I didn't really pay 900 for a 6.6 charger.

Water John wrote: »
    Might get it back and more on resale.

Not quite :)

Any optional extras can make a car sell quicker but add only a part of the original costs onto the second hand value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Water John wrote: »
    Unless he keeps the car for its entire life you cannot ammortise the €900. Might get it back and more on resale.

Surely though it's not just a financial issue as there is also the time savings associated with topping up battery on home charger or a.c. public charge points during the day. I think I will regularly top up in evening after commute to head out again for delivering and collecting kids from their various activities. I might be wrong but without the faster home charging I would have to rely more on diesel for these trips

Surely though it's not just a financial issue as there is also the time savings associated with topping up battery on home charger or a.c. public charge points during the day. I think I will regularly top up in evening after commute to head out again for delivering and collecting kids from their various activities. I might be wrong but without the faster home charging I would have to rely more on diesel for these trips

What car do you have and what mileage do you do? It must be a pretty extreme mileage if you charge the car to 100% overnight (on night rate) and still have to top up during the day? A 100% charge in a 24kWh Leaf (with say a range of 120 km) every day is good for 44k km, almost 3 times the average mileage a car does in Ireland

What car do you have and what mileage do you do? It must be a pretty extreme mileage if you charge the car to 100% overnight (on night rate) and still have to top up during the day? A 100% charge in a 24kWh Leaf (with say a range of 120 km) every day is good for 44k km, almost 3 times the average mileage a car does in Ireland

I'm in process of trying to buy a 30kwh Leaf as my commute is 130km per day without work charging and I don't want to have to rely on public charging to get home. With the 30 kWh car the range will manage that commute with ease but if I have to head out again in the evening I would prefer to be able to do a quick top up rather than constantly be looking at remaining range. It might be overkill but maybe no harm having the option to fast charge even if not needed too often

With your commute, you'll be saving lots of money over an ICE so :)

I wouldn't just focus on finding a 30kWh Leaf that can slow charge at 6.6kW though. Look at 3.3kW Leafs too and use that disadvantage to negotiate down the price.

Is there any reason why a 30kwh 2017 Leaf can be got for approx. £17k and the 2016 cars are going for £15 - 15.5k Why so much depreciation in year 1 and very little further in year 2. Its difficult not to try and raid the piggy bank for the extra cash to buy a 2017 car which seems to be much better value. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is there any reason why a 30kwh 2017 Leaf can be got for approx. £17k and the 2016 cars are going for £15 - 15.5k Why so much depreciation in year 1 and very little further in year 2. Its difficult not to try and raid the piggy bank for the extra cash to buy a 2017 car which seems to be much better value. Am I missing something?

No specific reason other than condition of the car and things like extras/spec (6.6kW charger, Acenta vs Tekna, protection pack etc).

And maybe a dealer who either wants to sell cheap to get it off his lot or a dealer who knows it will sell anyway and is pricing high.
    And maybe one of the cars isnt a 30kWh at all.... it happens a lot!

KCross wrote: »
    No specific reason other than condition of the car and things like extras/spec (6.6kW charger, Acenta vs Tekna, protection pack etc).

And maybe a dealer who either wants to sell cheap to get it off his lot or a dealer who knows it will sell anyway and is pricing high.
    And maybe one of the cars isnt a 30kWh at all.... it happens a lot!

Going back to confirm if a couple of the 2017 cars actually have the 30kwh battery / 6.6kw charger. Its funny because even after negotiation a couple of garages insisting £15k - €15.5k is rock bottom for a 2016 30kwh/6.6kw accenta and yet there are a couple of 2017 cars of same spec going for under £17k. Problem is I would be really busting my budget to go beyond £15k but its very tempting to pick up a 1 year younger car for less than £2k more

Is there any reason why a 30kwh 2017 Leaf can be got for approx. £17k and the 2016 cars are going for £15 - 15.5k Why so much depreciation in year 1 and very little further in year 2.

A lot of depreciation in year one as brand new cars (old stock) were recently sold with massive discounts (to make way for the new Leaf)

After the initial depreciation, it slows down dramatically as pretty much all EVs are keeping their value extremely well. I reckon this is because the idea of going EV has recently gone mainstream, more and more people want to move to EV (new or second hand), but there simply is very little supply

• Advertisement

A lot of depreciation in year one as brand new cars (old stock) were recently sold with massive discounts (to make way for the new Leaf)

After the initial depreciation, it slows down dramatically as pretty much all EVs are keeping their value extremely well. I reckon this is because the idea of going EV has recently gone mainstream, more and more people want to move to EV (new or second hand), but there simply is very little supply

Makes sense. Pity the low 2017 prices haven't depressed the 2016 prices further! I know it has to be my own decision but I presume, all other things being equal that a 2017 Leaf is worth up to £1,500 more than a 2016?

I purchased my ex-demo 162 30kwh 6.6 leaf with just over 3000miles on the clock at the end of June last year for £15000. Interesting to see that they are still worth pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

mel.b wrote: »

I purchased my ex-demo 162 30kwh 6.6 leaf with just over 3000miles on the clock at the end of June last year for £15000. Interesting to see that they are still worth pretty much the same.

Come on Mel.b, interesting isn’t really the word you were thinking of! It’s more like wahoooo!

I guess for anyone of us who bought a new or second hand EV in the last few years, most of us have had zero depreciation :)

I guess for anyone of us who bought a new or second hand EV in the last few years, most of us have had zero depreciation :)

On that basis would you have any view on whether it would be worthwhile paying £1.5k - £2k more for a 2017 30kwh compared to a 2016 version of same car? Torn between the 2 at the moment. Concerned about paying up to £17k for a 2017 Leaf. Maybe best to minimise any future potential depreciation hit and just go with slightly cheaper 2016 model.

Appreciate any views!

How many Kms are on the 2016, what's the spec difference ? other than that no real difference.

There are not many around to know what the battery degradation is like and no leaf spy reports.

BoatMad, are you ever going to give us your 30 Kwh Leafspy battery report ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

On that basis would you have any view on whether it would be worthwhile paying £1.5k - £2k more for a 2017 30kwh compared to a 2016 version of same car? Torn between the 2 at the moment. Concerned about paying up to £17k for a 2017 Leaf. Maybe best to minimise any future potential depreciation hit and just go with slightly cheaper 2016 model.

Appreciate any views!

Assuming both are same spec I wouldn’t pay 2k more for a year newer. No point. No technical differences between the cars.

Be different if we were discussing 201: or 2014 520d here as the LCI model (2014) has revised features etc but in the leaf all your paying for the is the Reg.

kceire wrote: »
    Assuming both are same spec I wouldn’t pay 2k more for a year newer. No point. No technical differences between the cars.

Be different if we were discussing 201: or 2014 520d here as the LCI model (2014) has revised features etc but in the leaf all your paying for the is the Reg.

Ive come across 2 exactly the same spec cars a 16 and 17 30kwh with 6.6kw charger with £1.5k price difference. Only difference is 17 car has 10k miles and 16 has 20k.

Id like the 17 but thinking that paying nearly £17k for a 2nd hand previous generation Leaf is too steep as well as being beyond my budget. I suppose you're correct the only reason the pay more is for the plate and the neighbours!!

KCross wrote: »
    Come on Mel.b, interesting isn’t really the word you were thinking of! It’s more like wahoooo!

Lol, true! I’d say the car has nearly made me money rather than cost me money :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Has anyone posted this already? Seems to suggest that 30kwh battery is fairing worse and suggests that its because the charge to 80% option has been removed.

https://pushevs.com/2018/03/20/nissan-leaf-battery-degradation-data-24-vs-30-kwh-batteries/

Advertisement