Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Dmangan wrote: »
    Has anyone posted this already? Seems to suggest that 30kwh battery is fairing worse and suggests that its because the charge to 80% option has been removed.

https://pushevs.com/2018/03/20/nissan-leaf-battery-degradation-data-24-vs-30-kwh-batteries/

My understanding is that is based on data from cars in new Zealand? I think its well known that batteries don’t like hot weather and new zealand and particulary the north island gets hot weather for months on end where 25c + is normal. I know the weather pattern over there can be very stable as well, unlike Victoria (australia) which can be very changable even in summer (35 one day and 18 the next) so this surely has an impact on the battery. I have a 30kwh version but i don’t have a dongle to monitor the battery health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

unkel wrote: »
    I guess for anyone of us who bought a new or second hand EV in the last few years, most of us have had zero depreciation :)

There seems to be a gap developing between the 28kwh and 30kwh cars with 2015 24kwh Techna's available from £12.5k while 2016 Accenta's 30kwh cars especially with 6.6kw charger going for well north of £15k. Im wondering will a similar fate befall the 30kwh cars when more 2nd hand 40kwh cars come on stream after 2 year.

Anyone have any concerns shelling out £17 to £18k for 30kwh cars at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Have a read of the paper. Its open access. 32% of the "total life" of all leafs in the study was spent in New Zealand. It seems pretty conclusive at the moment but its still early days I guess. We'll know in anoyher year or two for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Dmangan wrote: »
    Has anyone posted this already? Seems to suggest that 30kwh battery is fairing worse and suggests that its because the charge to 80% option has been removed.

https://pushevs.com/2018/03/20/nissan-leaf-battery-degradation-data-24-vs-30-kwh-batteries/

Nissan offer an 8 year warranty on the 30kWh battery.

mel.b wrote: »
    My understanding is that is based on data from cars in new Zealand? I think its well known that batteries don’t like hot weather and new zealand and particulary the north island gets hot weather for months on end where 25c + is normal. I know the weather pattern over there can be very stable as well, unlike Victoria (australia) which can be very changable even in summer (35 one day and 18 the next) so this surely has an impact on the battery. I have a 30kwh version but i don’t have a dongle to monitor the battery health.

Get a dongle , we need this data. :D

Data form other countries has no real meaning for Ireland, in hot climates the battery degradation will always be much faster than cooler climates for a battery with no form of thermal management.

But having said that , how many cars with thermal management will keep the battery cool when not plugged in ? they could be sitting baking in the heat all day.

I don't know for instance when the AC kicks in to cool the i3 battery, I know it will cool when the car is turned on and when fast charging but I've no idea if it turns on when the car is not active and not plugged in. The battery heater only works when plugged in and a depart timer and preconditioning turned on and I suppose the same applies to cooling but it may not because it could cool at any time to protect the battery , I would like to know.

We won't have to worry about battery heat on hot days much in Ireland when the car isn't driving and sitting in the Sun except those with no thermal management and fast charging.

We need 30 Kwh Leafspy data.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

When will some be in showrooms or available

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Get a dongle , we need this data. :D

Data form other countries has no real meaning for Ireland, in hot climates the battery degradation will always be much faster than cooler climates for a battery with no form of thermal management.

We need 30 Kwh Leafspy data.

Plenty Leaf 24 and 30kWh data here for the UK which is more or less the same climate as here

https://speakev.com/threads/the-battery-health-thread.18923/

KCross wrote: »
    Plenty Leaf 24 and 30kWh data here for the UK which is more or less the same climate as here

https://speakev.com/threads/the-battery-health-thread.18923/

Cheers, before I read a million pages, how's the 30 Kwh doing v 24 Kwh ? :D

Cheers, before I read a million pages, how's the 30 Kwh doing v 24 Kwh ? :D

Dont read the thread... just look at post 1 where he takes the data from individual posters and updates a graph with that data... so thats all you need to look at.

Can't see it , not registered. Just give me the general gist please. good , bad, ok ? ;)

• Advertisement

Can't see it , not registered. Just give me the general gist please. good , bad, ok ? ;)

Now that I dig into it there is only about a dozen data points for the 30kWh Leaf.... they are all 94% or better.

Its a small sample so probably not scientific enough to say there is or isnt an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Soarer wrote: »
    Nissan offer an 8 year warranty on the 30kWh battery.

Now this is interesting!

Do you know if there is a mileage limit on the battery warranty?

ads20101 wrote: »
    Now this is interesting!

Do you know if there is a mileage limit on the battery warranty?
    Discover Nissan LEAF’s exclusive warranty conditions, in particular the 8 year/160000km (100000 miles) warranty that covers the lithium-ion battery in the new, more powerful 30 kWh battery pack .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Discover Nissan LEAF’s exclusive warranty conditions, in particular the 8 year/160000km (100000 miles) warranty that covers the lithium-ion battery in the new, more powerful 30 kWh battery pack .

Thanks for that - I would meet that in approx 6 yrs

I would love a good ev alternative - but it appears (for the moment) I will keep my pulsar

Some additional warranty info....
    5-YEAR /60,000 MILES WARRANTY ON ALL EV
    DEDICATED COMPONENTS ON 24KWH BATTERY

8-YEAR /100,000 MILES WARRANTY ON ALL EV
    DEDICATED COMPONENTS 30KWH BATTERY

5-YEAR/60,000 MILES FOR HIGH VOLTAGE
    COMPONENTS

3-YEAR/60,000 MILES FOR STANDARD COMPONENTS

12-YEAR ANTI-CORROSION WARRANTY

So, even on a 30kWh you get a 3yr warranty on non-EV related stuff (buttons, switches, handles etc).

Both 24 and 30kWh cars get the 5yr HV warranty

Only the 30kWh gets the 8yr warranty on the battery itself.... the 24kWh has 5yrs on the battery.

Whatever about the 3yr warranty, you want as much of that 5yr HV warranty as possible as things like charge ports, DC-DC inverters etc are big money if they give trouble.... rare an all as that is.

Need to top up my brake fluid.
    Says DOT3 on the cap.
    Only have DOT4 at home at the minute.

Is it ok to use DOT4?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anybody got leaf spy pro?
    Seemly there’s a function on it to allow auto locking of the car once you drive off.
    Would be a handy feature that I miss on this car and want to see if it’s there and works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

kceire wrote: »
    Anybody got leaf spy pro?
    Seemly there’s a function on it to allow auto locking of the car once you drive off.
    Would be a handy feature that I miss on this car and want to see if it’s there and works.

Yeah it works, you can set it to lock once you reach a certain speed, or when you put it into drive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah it works, you can set it to lock once you reach a certain speed, or when you put it into drive.

Need to get this activated then.

Doesn't work on my 2011.

Maybe only on the newer ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It worked on my gen1.5 24kWh
    As did the option to permanently disable the VESS.

Yes it worked for me on my 2015, I also disabled the horrendously annoying beeping when you plug in and the artificial noise permanently.

Why Nissan deemed it necessary to have this loud beeping when you plug in is a mystery, surely the lights are enough ? crazy.

Yes it worked for me on my 2015, I also disabled the horrendously annoying beeping when you plug in and the artificial noise permanently.

Why Nissan deemed it necessary to have this loud beeping when you plug in is a mystery, surely the lights are enough ? crazy.
    Is that the "beep...... beep beep" noise for charging? Yup I disabled that too.
    Leafspy is a great app!:cool::cool:

Yeah that's the one, the Japanese are very fond of their beeps and dongs, having said that the i3 nearly drove me insane.

Beep like mad if you're in the drivers seat and no seatbelt on, if I open the gate and want to drive in I don't want to hear that crap. I disabled that.

Another annoying thing is that as soon as you get out of the car it switches off , you can't leave it in park, get out and open the gate get back in and drive off again, oh no, you have to press start, put into drive and turn off the handbrake........ I must figure out how to disable that too !

it's ridiculous that grown Adults are treated like Children !

ELM327 wrote: »
    It worked on my gen1.5 24kWh
    As did the option to permanently disable the VESS.

Couldn't do that on mine either!

I did get some "i-key malfunction. Go to dealer" error the other week. Car wouldn't turn off. Press the button, it'd "shut down", but restart immediately.
    Swapped keys, same.
    Plugged into charger in the hope that that'd knock some sense into it, same.

Broke out LeafSpy.
    Came back with about 15 errors. Some I didn't have a clue of. Some were like "brake servo malfunction" or something. Basically there were errors there that if I'd have gone to a main dealer, they'd have been replacing parts because of the errors shown, and then clearing the faults.
    Cleared the faults one by one using Pro, and the car is perfect again!

It's after saving me a fortune already. Mighty yoke.

Another annoying thing is that as soon as you get out of the car it switches off , you can't leave it in park, get out and open the gate get back in and drive off again, oh no, you have to press start, put into drive and turn off the handbrake........ I must figure out how to disable that too !

it's ridiculous that grown Adults are treated like Children !

I don't have that in my one. I can get out, do what I want, get back in, into Drive, and away I go.

And I actually like the charger beeps. Lets me know I've connected it properly and it's working.

Maybe I'm part Japanese?!

Couldn't do that on mine either!

I did get some "i-key malfunction. Go to dealer" error the other week. Car wouldn't turn off. Press the button, it'd "shut down", but restart immediately.
    Swapped keys, same.
    Plugged into charger in the hope that that'd knock some sense into it, same.

Broke out LeafSpy.
    Came back with about 15 errors. Some I didn't have a clue of. Some were like "brake servo malfunction" or something. Basically there were errors there that if I'd have gone to a main dealer, they'd have been replacing parts because of the errors shown, and then clearing the faults.
    Cleared the faults one by one using Pro, and the car is perfect again!

It's after saving me a fortune already. Mighty yoke.

Sounds like a possible bad 12V battery. When that battery goes bad you get all sorts of weird behaviour and spurious error codes.

The cold weather could have tipped it over the edge. Do you have a 12V battery tester?

Sounds like a possible bad 12V battery. When that battery goes bad you get all sorts of weird behaviour and spurious error codes.

The cold weather could have tipped it over the edge. Do you have a 12V battery tester?

No.

Surely there's some sort of on-screen test like a Prius? :confused:

Or maybe I'll just bring it down to the motor factors?

Or maybe keep LeafSpy-ing it! :D

No.

Surely there's some sort of on-screen test like a Prius? :confused:

Or maybe I'll just bring it down to the motor factors?

Or maybe keep LeafSpy-ing it! :D
    The on screen test is "do weird things keep happening, weird error messages etc". If "yes" then your 12v is weak.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    The on screen test is "do weird things keep happening, weird error messages etc". If "yes" then your 12v is weak.

Fair enough!

They don't "keep happening" though, so we'll leave it off for a while.

As an aside, according to LeafSpy, my SOH is 73% (I think).
    So is that 73% of 24kWh, or 73% of usable (whatever that is)?

Advertisement