Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Thanks !
    Are second hand charging units frowned upon?
    Can you get the grant if you buy second hand or online?
    Does the grant cover buying the EVSE and the electrician charges ?
    Install charges seem quiet varied.

By tethered, do you mean. EVSE is on the wall -and then it has a permanent cable attached to it......and you just plug this cable in to car and then just hang up on wall again beside EVSE when done ?

Not sure what you mean by type 1 and type 2 plugs - is this to do with the EVSE end of things or the car side or both.

Spoke to SEAI on this. It doesn't matter if unit is new or 2nd hand of if you buy from a business with an invoice or privately without. All that's required is that your electrician is prepared to sign off on the unit price included on your application form.

Correct tethered means the unit has a permanently attached lead.

Type 1 v Type 2 relates to the type of a.c. 'plug' on your car. The Type 1 & 1.5 Leaf has a Type 1 plug while the new Leaf 40 and Ioniq has a Type 2 plug. If you go with a Type 1 tethered unit for your Leaf 1 or 1.5, you will have to change the tethered lead to a Type 2 if you upgrade to a Leaf 40 or prety much any other EV in future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

creedp wrote: »
    Spoke to SEAI on this. It doesn't matter if unit is new or 2nd hand of if you buy from a business with an invoice or privately without. All that's required is that your electrician is prepared to sign off on the unit price included on your application form.

Correct tethered means the unit has a permanently attached lead.

Type 1 v Type 2 relates to the type of a.c. 'plug' on your car. The Type 1 & 1.5 Leaf has a Type 1 plug while the new Leaf 40 and Ioniq has a Type 2 plug. If you go with a Type 1 tethered unit for your Leaf 1 or 1.5, you will have to change the tethered lead to a Type 2 if you upgrade to a Leaf 40 or prety much any other EV in future.

Thanks. With ya now on type 1 and type 2.

So the grant you get. Is is paid only towards the evse device cost ?
    Or can it go towards electrician costs too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thanks. With ya now on type 1 and type 2.

So the grant you get. Is is paid only towards the evse device cost ?
    Or can it go towards electrician costs too ?

Up to €600 on the full cost....which includes install.

goz83 wrote: »
    Up to €600 on the full cost....which includes install.

Nice. So In all likelihood hood......Will cost one roughly a couple of hundred from their own pocket when all is said and done.

I presume you don’t need to buy a brand new leaf to avail of the grant ?? Or do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No, EV can be secondhand too.

• Advertisement

Another general q - when do people think it will be introduced where you have to pay to use the public car chargers ? Any rough idea of a date.

Another general q - when do people think it will be introduced where you have to pay to use the public car chargers ? Any rough idea of a date.

How long is a piece of string?

They hinted at a charge of €16.99 per month just to own a public access card, so the cost of charging would have been on top of that.

It didn't go down well, and was scrapped.

I can't see a charge yet for public charging, as it would be a disincentive for potential buyers, and the sales figures aren't great as it stands.

I'd say we are safe for another couple of years at least. Having said that I think I have only used public charging 4 times, and 3 times was on my trip back from UK.

NIMAN wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?

They hinted at a charge of €16.99 per month just to own a public access card, so the cost of charging would have been on top of that.

It didn't go down well, and was scrapped.

I can't see a charge yet for public charging, as it would be a disincentive for potential buyers, and the sales figures aren't great as it stands.

I'd say we are safe for another couple of years at least. Having said that I think I have only used public charging 4 times, and 3 times was on my trip back from UK.

Thanks. Right, so main thing is no date set yet. ;)

Thanks. Right, so main thing is no date set yet. ;)

The main thing is that you will so rarely use public charging that it won’t matter. In fact, when charging comes in, it will be better, because people won’t abandon their cars at charge points, which is a bit of an issue at the moment.

The worst fast chargers in the country seem to be Tesco Naas and Blanchardstown SC. I’ve been to Blanch maybe 5 times in a year and each time the chargers were in use with fully charged cars. Ive been to Naas twice as often and most times it was free. A couple of times I had to wait for a car to finish and once I had to wait for 2 cars, as I had no choice. The first car was gone soon after I arrived, but it was an i3 rex and really shouldn't have been hogging a fast charger.

People will take whatever free electricity they can get, even if they are at 90%, they'll take more.

If it was charged, you'd find less people charging that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Do you guys think a Leaf would be suitable for my daily commute, 70km daily round trip, consisting of 12km on R roads, 8km on N roads and 15km on M1..and the same on home journey.

Currently driving a '08 1.5D Laguna which has more things wrong with it than right, so would be looking around 151/152 and keep the car long term.

Yeah, should be manageable ok.
    On a fully charged 24kw Leaf you should be able to get 100km easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Everyone is posting about Leaf, have you considered the Zoe as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Everyone is posting about Leaf, have you considered the Zoe as an option?
    Well this is the Leaf thread, to be fair.

If 1 of the bars go, can it be replaced ?

If so. How much

Do you guys think a Leaf would be suitable for my daily commute, 70km daily round trip, consisting of 12km on R roads, 8km on N roads and 15km on M1..and the same on home journey.

Currently driving a '08 1.5D Laguna which has more things wrong with it than right, so would be looking around 151/152 and keep the car long term.

Yes, even a Gen1 Leaf with 3 bars gone would manage that.
    If 1 of the bars go, can it be replaced ?

If so. How much

Well, it's not really as simple as you think. The bars are a representation of the maximum remaining capacity. So a Leaf with a full 12 bars doesn't necessarily have 100% capacity remaining, it might have 90% which would be realistic for a 2014/15 Leaf.

There are hundreds of batteries in the battery pack which consists of a couple dozen cells (smaller packs). To get a bar back, the most degraded cells must be replaced. But this would be a waste of time if only 1 bar was gone. Maybe if 3 were gone.

I heard that someone in the UK does it for a few hundred pound, but I don't know much about that.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Well this is the Leaf thread, to be fair.

This is a thread started by the OP asking about buying a Leaf, based on the driving requirements the Zoe will meet the needs of the OP

Also should come in cheaper than a Leaf which is also one of the requirements....

Most buyers are not aware of othe electric cars available so valid question I would think.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

This is a thread started by the OP asking about buying a Leaf, based on the driving requirements the Zoe will meet the needs of the OP

Also should come in cheaper than a Leaf which is also one of the requirements....

Most buyers are not aware of othe electric cars available so valid question I would think.....

Nothing wrong with the Zoe. There’s pros and cons to every option. For me, the Zoe was just too small. Plus at the time I was buying, only the battery rental version of the Zoe was cheaper. No harm for the OP to shop around, but also no harm to be aware of the sticker price not telling the full story. Same applies to the Flex version of the Leaf, too, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah, should be manageable ok.
    On a fully charged 24kw Leaf you should be able to get 100km easily.
    My heavy right foot would dispute that...

;)

DrPhilG wrote: »

;)

What are you getting ?

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with the Zoe. There’s pros and cons to every option. For me, the Zoe was just too small. Plus at the time I was buying, only the battery rental version of the Zoe was cheaper. No harm for the OP to shop around, but also no harm to be aware of the sticker price not telling the full story. Same applies to the Flex version of the Leaf, too, of course.

True, nothing wrong eurh it, just looks a bit small

What is meant by this battery rental thing. Seen the phrase but don’t know what it means in real world or
    More so why one would choose to rent a battery in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

;)

What are you getting ?
    Normally around 70 miles. But in crappy weather and motorway speeds 60 miles would be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Normally around 70 miles. But in crappy weather and motorway speeds 60 miles would be doing well.
    Pretty similar to what I got over 60k km in non-summer conditions

Average approx 19-20kWh/100km.
    So that worked out as around 100-110km from full to VLBW - but not turtle.
    I'd hardly describe that as "easy"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I really need to ease off for a few days and see how my range goes.
    My average is 19.1kwh/100km.
    I have t reset it since I bought over a year ago.

2014 24kwh Leaf. 99% city driving. But I drive in normal mode, never use eco and rarely use B.

kceire wrote: »
    I really need to ease off for a few days and see how my range goes.
    My average is 19.1kwh/100km.
    I have t reset it since I bought over a year ago.

2014 24kwh Leaf. 99% city driving. But I drive in normal mode, never use eco and rarely use B.

I got 14.3kWh/100km in April, over 1235km. That’s about the lowest I’ve gotten so far. In the colder weather, it was more like 16-18.

My driving is about 70% R and single carriageway N road, and 30% city.

True, nothing wrong eurh it, just looks a bit small

What is meant by this battery rental thing. Seen the phrase but don’t know what it means in real world or
    More so why one would choose to rent a battery in the first place.

I’m not sure of the exact figures, so someone here will correct me, but basically with the battery rental version the cost of the car is lower. You then pay a monthly fee to rent the battery. I think in the case of the Zoe this is in the region of €150 per month.

By getting the car that way, you never actually own the battery pack. So, if and when it needs to be replaced, the manufacturer will do that at no charge to you. Except the monthly repayment keeps on going for the life of the car.

2 reasons why you might do this. Firstly, it keeps the initial cost of buying the car down (again, I’m happy to be corrected on the exact amount, but I think for the Zoe it was about €4K cheaper brand new?). This might make sense if you’re buying new on a 3 year lease and you know that you’ll be buying new again at the end of that period. Secondly it gives the peace of mind that should the rest of the car still be in good condition by the time the battery capacity has dropped, you’ll get a new battery fitted.

So, like I said, pros and cons!

Some of these cars are now on the second hand market, so if you see a Zoe or Leaf that looks a good bit cheaper than you’d expect, definitely find out if it’s a rental version. There is no way (as far as I know) to “buy out” the battery on these versions.....you will pay a monthly fee for as long as you own the car.

Also to note on the Zoe, you can buy them without battery rental. Really low-cost Leaf's in the UK might also have battery rental on them.

If you ask on facebook webpage a number of people have invested in the Zoe with battery rentak so they will have costs. I think it is lower than 150

it might be an option

The Zoe is not that small, I sat into one of them, never driven and it was very nice interior. I would prefer it to the Leaf. I wouldnt rule it out as you can pick up some real bargains

The Zoe is not that small, I sat into one of them, never driven and it was very nice interior. I would prefer it to the Leaf. I wouldnt rule it out as you can pick up some real bargains

Yep, the interior is nice, but overall the space in the rear and in the boot is bigger in the Leaf, and that was the main reason why I chose the Leaf. Plus, the longer wheelbase probably makes the Leaf a bit more comfortable on back roads. But, for speed of charging and range, the Zoe is better. That just wasn’t enough to sway me, though, as it was just too small for my own needs.

Yep, the interior is nice, but overall the space in the rear and in the boot is bigger in the Leaf, and that was the main reason why I chose the Leaf. Plus, the longer wheelbase probably makes the Leaf a bit more comfortable on back roads. But, for speed of charging and range, the Zoe is better. That just wasn’t enough to sway me, though, as it was just too small for my own needs.

How does the Zoe have a longer range?
    Better battrery or just lighter?

And how much longer - 10km or something is it?

• Advertisement

How does the Zoe have a longer range?
    Better battrery or just lighter?

And how much longer - 10km or something is it?

I dont think any Zoe owners on this forum, I do stand to be corrected...

Jan-Bart on facebook is one of a few on facebook forum

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEVOA/?ref=bookmarks

You will need to apply to join the group but they will have some real life information....

I think the Zoe is a great little car and worth checking out.....

Advertisement