Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Round trip of 45km, and a second car available? Just go ahead and spend 7-8k on a Gen 1 and start saving!

probably the right answer

If a person does indeed go to their grannies house and uses the granny cable to charge the car from say 10% to 100% overnight and said grannies house does not have low night rate electricity, just standard rate - how much roughly would this cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

If a person does indeed go to their grannies house and uses the granny cable to charge the car from say 10% to 100% overnight and said grannies house does not have low night rate electricity, just standard rate - how much roughly would this cost?

About €3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Just don't call it a granny cable at said grannies house :D

A full charge will cost no more than €3.

Assumptions:
    There is 90% state of health from 22kWh original available battery.
    There is an efficiency loss of 10%.
    standard rate is 14c per kW.
    You won't be at 0%

goz83 wrote: »
    Just don't call it a granny cable at said grannies house :D

A full charge will cost no more than €3.

Assumptions:
    There is 90% state of health from 22kWh original available battery.
    There is an efficiency loss of 10%.
    standard rate is 14c per kW.
    You won't be at 0%

How much then roughly with the night rate for a full charge. 2 Euro or so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Currently driving a '08 1.5D Laguna which has more things wrong with it than right, so would be looking around 151/152 and keep the car long term.

May be on the hunt for a new car alot sooner than anticipated...inter-cooler pipe cracked on the Laguna, limped home leaving a plume of smoke behind me...

The search begins....right after I figure out how I can afford one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

All the assumptions above are good. So all you have to do is swap in the cost per unit for night rate. That’s usually about half, so about €1.50 for a “full” charge.

What are peoples thoughts on the gen 1 interior: does it look gammy in the flesh? is it easily dirtied etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I presume you are not an imbecile, so you already have or will have a night meter installed (free of charge) and you are or will be with the cheapest provider every year. Currently that is Energia. Their rate is 6.65c per kWh incl VAT last time I checked.

A 24kWh Leaf has about 22kWh usable. So if the car is completely empty, it will take 22kWh to charge from 0%-100%. There is about a 10% efficiency loss in charging your car, so it will take roughly 24kWh to charge it with 22kWh

24 * 6.65c = €1.60 for a full charge from completely empty to completely full. So yes 2 Euro or so or a little bit less in fact :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What are peoples thoughts on the gen 1 interior: does it look gammy in the flesh? is it easily dirtied etc?

The interior is grand.....but seriously you need to test drive the car yourself...

What is ok for one person is not for another....you can ask questions about the car for another 6 pages, sit into it and absolutely hate it....no point buying something you will hate driving....

Eco Cars are based in Athlone which isn't too far from Galway, I think you mentioned you are in the Galway area....also another kind poster has offered to let you have a look at his/her car.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's as easily dirtied as any other cream/off white coloured fabric.
    So... yes.

It doesn't look gammy but the black SVE spec looks so much better IMO (and it does come down to personal opinion)

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The interior is grand.....but seriously you need to test drive the car yourself...

What is ok for one person is not for another....you can ask questions about the car for another 6 pages, sit into it and absolutely hate it....no point buying something you will hate driving....

Eco Cars are based in Athlone which isn't too far from Galway, I think you mentioned you are in the Galway area....also another kind poster has offered to let you have a look at his/her car.....

bit the bullet and got a trial of a leaf from nissan galway, picked it up this morning, have it until monday.

its a 161 SV

Strange enough feeling, but get used to it after a while.
    Sales man was like, the way to drive this car is like this "dont go above 80" "put on eco mode" drive in B mode"

got bored of that after about 2 miles.

but when I did take them off and then put on wipers and ac and radio , charge me phone etc, range fairly drops. very early stages, but im already thinking about charging and will it get me to where I want to go etc etc and thinking of other journeys ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

bit the bullet and got a trial of a leaf from nissan galway, picked it up this morning, have it until monday.

its a 161 SV

Sales man was like, the way to drive this car is like this "dont go above 80" "put on eco mode" drive in B mode"

but when I did take them off and then put on wipers and ac and radio , charge me phone etc, range fairly drops. very early stages, but im already thinking about charging and will it get me to where I want to go etc etc and thinking of other journeys ahead.

The range fairly dropped because of the a/c. The wipers and radio have minimal effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

its a 161 SV

What's more, they don't really have real effect :D

grogi wrote: »
    What's more, they don't really have real effect :D

I notice when I changed from normal to ECO that it added about 10km to the range.

But dont like the drive of the Eco mode, grand in traffic, slow driving etc but dont like it on motorway

B and Eco will have some effect but you can have more effect yourself by monitoring how you drive.
    I used B and Eco the whole time.

ELM327 wrote: »
    B and Eco will have some effect but you can have more effect yourself by monitoring how you drive.
    I used B and Eco the whole time.

what does B do, is it when you brake or go down a hill, it can add more juice to the battery ?

what does B do, is it when you brake or go down a hill, it can add more juice to the battery ?

In B-mode, the motor will do a lot of the braking for you, so you don't need to push the brake pedal to slow down (WARNING: you DO still need to use the pedal as well, to come to a complete stop and/or in an emergency). Using the motor to brake in this manner will have the same effect as a dynamo, and will regenerate some energy back into the battery.

Going downhill in either D or B mode will have a similar effect, but in D-mode it won't necessarily slow you down as much (or generate as much energy).

It allows you to add more regen, by altering the throttle position.
    You can still drive with coasting, but you need to apply the throttle just enough to disengage the regen,

I much prefer the variable regen in the Ioniq with the paddles where you can change from coasting, to severe regen, and back, on the fly.

im already thinking about charging and will it get me to where I want to go etc etc and thinking of other journeys ahead.

Go drive it at 132km/h indicated on the speedo for a bit (this is about 120km/h real speed in a Leaf) and see what you think of the range.

So night rate is usually half.....so around €1.50-€1.60.

It looks perfectly fine. It feels much roomier, because it's bright. I have mine almost a year. The seats haven't needed any special cleaning. A bang of a hoover and it's all good.

its a 161 SV

Good stuff. Enjoy the test drive. Range anxiety is a natural feeling for the first while, but then you start to think differently about how you drive. When you get a Leaf, at first you will charge it every night...even when it has 90% remaining :D

Then you relax and just keep it above 50% (circa 65km)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Go drive it at 132km/h indicated on the speedo for a bit (this is about 120km/h real speed in a Leaf) and see what you think of the range.

Now, now Unkel. Don't be mean. We all know it's best driven at under €100kmph unless you want to suck the battery dry.

unkel wrote: »

will this just eat up the battery ? how badly, wont be driving on motorway again maybe.

its a 161 SV

The salesman is correct in terms of getting the most range out of the battery, but those modes do have an effect on the way the car drives and if you know you're not going to run out before getting back to the charger, then leave them off if you feel more comfortable.

In my experience, ECO mode adds about 10% to the range.

Using B-mode makes sense too, if you want to maximise regeneration. Maxing that means you have to put less energy in from your house. For example, here are my stats from April:

Distance travelled: 1236km
    Electricity used: 220kWh
    Electricity generated: 44kWh (from using B-mode mostly)
    Nett electricity used: 176kWh

So by using B-mode, I got 44kWh for free (you will get some with B-mode off, but not as much).

Planning ahead (in terms of the actual trip and in terms of just looking ahead and braking/accelerating smoothly) is essential for getting the best economy.

Is the 161 car that you have on loan a 24 or 30kWh version? Either way, ignore the range displayed on the dashboard....it is commonly referred to as the Guess-o-meter. You're much better off watching the battery percentage, and in a 24kWh version a safe guide (unless you're driving it like a racecar) would be 1% of battery equals 1km in range.

The salesman is correct in terms of getting the most range out of the battery, but those modes do have an effect on the way the car drives and if you know you're not going to run out before getting back to the charger, then leave them off if you feel more comfortable.

Using B-mode makes sense too, if you want to maximise regeneration. Maxing that means you have to put less energy in from your house. For example, here are my stats from April:

So by using B-mode, I got 44kWh for free (you will get some with B-mode off, but not as much).

Planning ahead (in terms of the actual trip and in terms of just looking ahead and braking/accelerating smoothly) is essential for getting the best economy.

Is the 161 car that you have on loan a 24 or 30kWh version? Either way, ignore the range displayed on the dashboard....it is commonly referred to as the Guess-o-meter. You're much better off watching the battery percentage, and in a 24kWh version a safe guide (unless you're driving it like a racecar) would be 1% of battery equals 1km in range.

Thanks. interesting to kind of ignore the range displayed on dash. Good tip on the battery percentage thing.

Not too sure if a 24 or 30 battery, how can I tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That is a very common misconception...

You don't get more energy regenerated when driving with stronger regeneration; setting B mode, enabling the e-pedal or selecting various regeneration strength (in Ioniq) does not change the efficiency. It is a pure preference of how much energy is captured without touching the brake pedal. Exactly same is achieved in less aggressive modes by slightly pressing the brake.

Depressing brake does not equal to friction brakes. It is not an ICE...

What's more, the net effect on efficiency is actually opposite. It is easier to get better efficiency with regenerative braking set to the lowest setting. The difference is minimal and in most cases even impossible to measure, but energy flow analysis says it is there.

Thanks. interesting to kind of ignore the range displayed on dash. Good tip on the battery percentage thing.

Not too sure if a 24 or 30 battery, how can I tell.

Have a look at the data sticker on the pillar when you open the drivers door. The 30kWh version is a heavier car (it should say something like 1970kg), whereas the 24kWh version is lighter (1945kg).

When you fully charge it, the guessometer will show a higher theoretical range too, but that would be a less accurate way to tell until you've driven the car for a few days. As a rough guideline, a 24kWh version might show range in the region of 130-150km, but a 30kWh version will show higher range.

grogi wrote: »
    That is a very common misconception...

You don't get more energy regenerated when driving with stronger regeneration; setting B mode, enabling the e-pedal or selecting various regeneration strength (in Ioniq) does not change the efficiency. It is a pure preference of how much energy is captured without touching the brake pedal. Exactly same is achieved in less aggressive modes by slightly pressing the brake.

Depressing brake does not equal to friction brakes. It is not an ICE...

What's more, the net effect on efficiency is actually opposite. It is easier to get better efficiency with regenerative braking set to the lowest setting. The difference is minimal and in most cases even impossible to measure, but energy flow analysis says it is there.

Interesting. So, you're saying the B-mode doesn't give any more energy back into the battery than D-mode? It only has the effect of not having to rely on the friction brake as much, is that it? Just realised the tone of these questions might come across as snotty in text, but I don't mean it that way!

Just from my own experience of watching the green dots, it appears that with B-mode on, I get more dots and for a longer period when slowing down compared with D-mode and the brake pedal. So visually, at least, it looks like B-mode puts more back into the battery.

Even if that's not the case, surely using B-mode has the advantage of wearing down the pads to a lesser extent?

Have a look at the data sticker on the pillar when you open the drivers door. The 30kWh version is a heavier car (it should say something like 1970kg), whereas the 24kWh version is lighter (1945kg).

When you fully charge it, the guessometer will show a higher theoretical range too, but that would be a less accurate way to tell until you've driven the car for a few days. As a rough guideline, a 24kWh version might show range in the region of 130-150km, but a 30kWh version will show higher range.

full charged earlier said 140 km, think this was with eco button pressed too.

full charged earlier said 140 km, think this was with eco button pressed too.

Most likely a 24, then. Although a 30 that had been driven hard recently might also show that. The weight is the definitive way to tell.

I’m only asking so that you know what you’ve got and don’t get any false idea about range, given that your budget covers a Gen1 24kWh version.

• Advertisement

will this just eat up the battery ? how badly, wont be driving on motorway again maybe.

You won't even get near 100km range when driving at 120km/h GPS speed. The slower you drive, the more range you get and yes, the salesman was right that around 80km/h is optimal.

Advertisement