Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    You won't even get near 100km range when driving at 120km/h GPS speed. The slower you drive, the more range you get and yes, the salesman was right that around 80km/h is optimal.
    120 km/h GPS speed is 128 indicated in the leaf, possibly 130

At that range I would have achieved 80km at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

ELM327 wrote: »

At that range I would have achieved 80km at best.

sorry which car do you have , the 24 kw leaf is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Interesting. So, you're saying the B-mode doesn't give any more energy back into the battery than D-mode? It only has the effect of not having to rely on the friction brake as much, is that it?

What I am saying is that pressing the brake pedal does not immediately engage friction brakes. They get engaged when the velocity is very low, so there is nothing left for recapture or the demand for slowing down is so high that the battery could not safely take such power back.

Ultimately it is the computer that decides what to do and it is only a setting as such how you want to let it know you want to slow down.
    For safety, there must is a physical connection between the brake pedal and hydraulic brake system - but in normal driving conditions it is bypassed, probably with a valve that is opened by the ECU.

sorry which car do you have , the 24 kw leaf is it ?
    I had a 24kWh leaf for about 1 year or so. Have an Ioniq now

will be doing a charge later in a place that has a rapid charge facility (I think from looking at map)
    just watched a video

See attached screen grab, from looking at the car, looks like ill be doing the "CHADeMo" scenario, correct ?

What is CCS and AC 43 for ?

• Advertisement

will be doing a charge later in a place that has a rapid charge facility (I think from looking at map)
    just watched a video

See attached screen grab, from looking at the car, looks like ill be doing the "CHADeMo" scenario, correct ?

Yes you want the Chademo, it will recharge the leaf to 80% in 20-30 minutes.
    The Fast AC is for Zoes,
    The CCS is for most other EVs like the Ioniq, EGolf, EUp etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

just watched a video

The rapid charger behind the garage across from Galway Airport is usually reliable.

anyone here done Galway to Waterford in a 24 kwh Gen 1 Leaf? if so, how many stops?

The rapid charger behind the garage across from Galway Airport is usually reliable.

thx, what do you mean by this? its not really utilized ? or do they have a habit of being out of order, but this one does not etc

thx, what do you mean by this? its not really utilized ? or do they have a habit of being out of order, but this one does not etc

Both. I've only ever seen it out of service once (admittedly for a few days) in the 7 months I've had my LEAF, and also I've only had to wait to use it on one occasion.

• Advertisement

anyone here done Galway to Waterford in a 24 kwh Leaf? if so, how many stops?

I looked into this only a couple of weeks ago!

I reckon you'd have to stop at the rapid chargers in Ballinasloe, Roscrea and Kilkenny. That's 3 potential fail points! I'd actually get the train instead.

Check out the website an app called Plugshare...it's got decent route planning built in.

https://www.plugshare.com/

I looked into this only a couple of weeks ago!

I reckon you'd have to stop at the rapid chargers in Ballinasloe, Roscrea and Kilkenny. That's 3 potential fail points! I'd actually get the train instead.

Check out the website an app called Plugshare...it's got decent route planning built in.

https://www.plugshare.com/

jaysus, messy enough so. a 3 hour journey could easily become 5 hours.

Whats it like for Galway to dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »

A quick google showed me that it might be 133km/h indicated. It's quite silly actually that in this day and age cars don't just display GPS speed.

I haven't done it, but I'd say the safest bet would be to stop in Ballinasloe, Killbeggan and Enfield. You might get to Kilbeggan in one leg from Athenry, but it would be tight!

I have a trip to Meath later this month, and I reckon I might take the back roads for part of it.

This is what my plan might look like:

Leave my house with 100%
    Back road to Ballinasloe Rapid charger is 55km, taking 50 minutes, arriving with 50% battery left.
    Charge up to 80% in Ballinasloe, approximately 30 minutes
    Motorway to Kilbeggan is 58km, taking 45 minutes, arriving with 20% battery left.
    Charge up to 80% in Kilbeggan, approximately 40 minutes.
    Motorway to Enfield services is 47km, taking 40 minutes, arriving with 30% battery left.
    Charge up to 80% in Enfield, approximately 40 minutes.
    Enfield to Navan is 38km, taking 45 minutes, arriving with 45% battery left.

So, altogether, I'd say about 5 hours.

Galway to Dublin is well served by chargers.
    I did Westport - Ballinasloe - Enfield - Dublin before.
    I should note that I was able to charge to 94% in Ballinasloe, as no one was queuing and I had some work emails to catch up on. Without that I would not have made the ~110km to Enfield.

(went on to do dublin to wexford later that evening, that was a long day)

Leave my house with 100%
    Back road to Ballinasloe Rapid charger is 55km, taking 50 minutes, arriving with 50% battery left.
    Charge up to 80% in Ballinasloe, approximately 30 minutes
    Motorway to Kilbeggan is 58km, taking 45 minutes, arriving with 20% battery left.
    Charge up to 80% in Kilbeggan, approximately 40 minutes.
    Motorway to Enfield services is 47km, taking 40 minutes, arriving with 30% battery left.
    Charge up to 80% in Enfield, approximately 40 minutes.

So, altogether, I'd say about 5 hours.

5 hours seems very long.

Another option that might work:

Leaving my house with 100%, take back road to rapid charger in Athlone, 71km, 70 minutes, should arrive with about 30% left.
    Charge to 80% in Athlone, taking about 40 minutes.
    Take motorway to Enfield, 77km, 50 minutes, should arrive almost empty.
    Charge to 80% in Enflied, taking about 45-50 minutes.

So that reduced travel time down by about 30 minutes, but it would be squeaky bum time getting to Enfield. Plus, I haven't allowed any waiting time at chargers.

5 hours seems very long.

Another option that might work:

Leaving my house with 100%, take back road to rapid charger in Athlone, 71km, 70 minutes, should arrive with about 30% left.
    Charge to 80% in Athlone, taking about 40 minutes.
    Take motorway to Enfield, 77km, 50 minutes, should arrive almost empty.
    Charge to 80% in Enflied, taking about 45-50 minutes.

So that reduced travel time down by about 30 minutes, but it would be squeaky bum time getting to Enfield. Plus, I haven't allowed any waiting time at chargers.

mmm, still convoluted though :)

mmm, still convoluted though :)

I’m working off 1% equaling 1km, which is conservative.

In reality, I would probably arrive at each charger with more in the tank than I’ve shown above. That would mean slightly less time at the charge point. I’d still say it’s a 4 hour trip at best though.

I’m working off 1% equaling 1km, which is conservative.

In reality, I would probably arrive at each charger with more in the tank than I’ve shown above. That would mean slightly less time at the charge point. I’d still say it’s a 4 hour trip at best though.
    On the motorway 1 km per % is about accurate.
    0.9km per % if you're doing over 100 or its hilly like the M11, or you can eek it out to 1.1km per % if you drive slower than 100 km/h

But having done 400-500+km trips in my 24kWh leaf, you won't get more than 1.1 km per % and to do so you'd have to drive slowly.

charged up via rapid charger earlier, all good. lucky I looked at video before hand and got your help, before watching wasn't even aware of the different connectors.

if you charge your electric car from a charging point in a standard car park or standard road parking area, do you have to pay for parking whilst its charging?

• Advertisement

charged up via rapid charger earlier, all good. lucky I looked at video before hand and got your help, before watching wasn't even aware of the different connectors.

if you charge your electric car from a charging point in a standard car park or standard road parking area, do you have to pay for parking whilst its charging?

Private car parks and different local authorities have their own rules.

I have confirmed with Galway City Council that there is no parking fee payable for an EV while it’s charging in one of their car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

Guys, does anyone know if I would be allowed to take a test drive of the new Nissan Leaf at a dealers? Basically, I just want to have a go at an electric car as I have never used one and the new leaf seems interesting. I see there is a test drive booking site but I don't want to go and have them trying to sell me the car :P

If I was to buy a 2012 gen 1 leaf for about 7000 Euro, it would probably have about 10 bars. And probably max 100km range, probably comfortable usable range= 80km

the bars may start dropping again in another year or so.

Will this car be essentially unsellable in 3 years time?
    In 3 years, could have only 8 bars, could the range in all likelihood drop to 50km ?

If I was to buy a 2012 gen 1 leaf for about 7000 Euro, it would probably have about 10 bars. And probably max 100km range, probably comfortable usable range= 80km

In 3 years, could have only 8 bars, could the range in all likelihood drop to 50km ?

At that stage it’ll be 9 years old, so it will be as saleable as a 9 year old car! The battery will still be worth a couple of grand though, most likely.

Plus, like you, someone in 3 years time who wants to get into an EV for as little as possible and who has a short commute will be happy to take it off you. Remember that EV choice comes down to budget and use case. A 50km range (and it might not be that low) might be perfect for someone only wanting to spend a few grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

The bars drop when the battery capacity drops. They don't just drop willy nilly.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought my 2011 last year (April) with 2 bars gone. I have a screengrab from LeafSpy from last June saying I had 75% SOH.
    I lost my third bar just over a week ago as my SOH had dropped to 72.42%.
    So in approx. 1 year and 20k kms, the battery lost 2.5% capacity.
    The bars drop with every 6.5% capacity loss, so at my current rate, it'll be over 2 years and approx. 50k kms before the next bar drops.

If your budget allows and it suits your driving needs, just buy one. I hummed and hawed for ages before purchasing, and the only regret I have is I waited so long before pulling the trigger.

Soarer wrote: »
    The bars drop when the battery capacity drops. They don't just drop willy nilly.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought my 2011 last year (April) with 2 bars gone. I have a screengrab from LeafSpy from last June saying I had 75% SOH.
    I lost my third bar just over a week ago as my SOH had dropped to 72.42%.
    So in approx. 1 year and 20k kms, the battery lost 2.5% capacity.
    The bars drop with every 6.5% capacity loss, so at my current rate, it'll be over 2 years and approx. 50k kms before the next bar drops.

If your budget allows and it suits your driving needs, just buy one. I hummed and hawed for ages before purchasing, and the only regret I have is I waited so long before pulling the trigger.

Thanks. What’s SOH ?

I’m doing some amount of humming and hawing alright ;)

Sometimes I think yes, just do it. And then I think of the trickery involved with charging and range anxiety.

Also, you can't really think about resale value in the same way as you would with an ICE car. You have to factor in the savings you get with an EV that you simply don't get with any other type of car.

For example (and this is very rough!):

Say you buy a 2012 LEAF for €8000

What would an equivalently sized ICE of that year cost? Let's say Ford Focus at €11,000.

Over 3 years of driving (and this will vary but going on figures we discussed a few pages back), you will save in the region of €6000 in fuel/maintenance/tax. Let's take a pessimistic approach and say €5000 just for the sake of argument.

So in 3 years you'll have spent €16,000 on the Focus, and it will be worth what? €2k, maybe €3k? Who knows, but just to play it safe, let's say €6k. So you'll have lost €10,000 in 3 years.

You could literally give the Leaf away in 3 years and still be up €2k

Also, you can't really think about resale value in the same way as you would with an ICE car. You have to factor in the savings you get with an EV that you simply don't get with any other type of car.

For example (and this is very rough!):

Say you buy a 2012 LEAF for €8000

What would an equivalently sized ICE of that year cost? Let's say Ford Focus at €11,000.

Over 3 years of driving (and this will vary but going on figures we discussed a few pages back), you will save in the region of €6000 in fuel/maintenance/tax. Let's take a pessimistic approach and say €5000 just for the sake of argument.

So in 3 years you'll have spent €16,000 on the Focus, and it will be worth what? €2k, maybe €3k? Who knows, but just to play it safe, let's say €6k. So you'll have lost €10,000 in 3 years.

You could literally give the Leaf away in 3 years and still be up €2k

True. But then you have not got the comfort of an ice car in regard to range anxiety.

another q. Is it true you get a grant of 600 Euro to buy install the home charger ?

Can the job essentially be done for this making the home charger free ? Or is trying to do it for 600 alone just cutting corners and asking for trouble ?

True. But then you have not got the comfort of an ice car in regard to range anxiety.

another q. Is it true you get a grant of 600 Euro to buy install the home charger ?

Can the job essentially be done for this making the home charger free ? Or is trying to do it for 600 alone just cutting corners and asking for trouble ?

I think you’ve answered the range anxiety question already when you shared your commute, which is very doable, plus you have another (ICE) car in the household. So what you have is range awareness, no need for anxiety.

I’m not sure how the grant works.

My LEAF came with a 32amp charger as part of the deal and I just got my own electrician to fit it for about €350. The grant for chargers for 2nd hand cars wasn’t available when I got mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I just got my own electrician to fit it for about €350.

Please tell me that wasn't a straightforward install. That's a lot of money! :eek:

Advertisement