Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

unkel wrote: »
    I presume you are not an imbecile, so you already have or will have a night meter installed (free of charge) and you are or will be with the cheapest provider every year. Currently that is Energia. Their rate is 6.65c per kWh incl VAT last time I checked.

A 24kWh Leaf has about 22kWh usable. So if the car is completely empty, it will take 22kWh to charge from 0%-100%. There is about a 10% efficiency loss in charging your car, so it will take roughly 24kWh to charge it with 22kWh

24 * 6.65c = €1.60 for a full charge from completely empty to completely full. So yes 2 Euro or so or a little bit less in fact :)

Stupid question coming up.

based on this, so to charge from totally dead will be 1.60 Euro.

if I plugged in and battery was at 50%. would charging then only cost me 80 cents and if I plugged in at 80%, it would only cost me 32 cents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

this has to be the most over-thought thread on the internet!
    Stupid question coming up.

if I plugged in and battery was at 50%. would charging then only cost me 80 cents and if I plugged in at 80%, it would only cost me 32 cents etc

No, it doubles and quadruples. ie. a full charge costs €1.60, but if you only use half that, it'll cost you €3.20.

Soarer wrote: »
    this has to be the most over-thought thread on the internet!

No, it doubles and quadruples. ie. a full charge costs €1.60, but if you only use half that, it'll cost you €3.20.

sorry, I more than likely have some form of OCD

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah, you just pay per kWh. I typically plug in when the car goes below 30%, so it roughtly costs about €1.40 (28kWh Ioniq)

Or it is free if you have a fixed price contract with Just Energy, like I do :D

In regard to the 'cable run' that people have talked of.
    Is this the run of the cable from the charge point to

(a) the main fuse box inside the house
    (b) the meter box outside the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

In regard to the 'cable run' that people have talked of.
    Is this the run of the cable from the charge point to

(a) the main fuse box inside the house
    (b) the meter box outside the house

From the fuse box out to where the charger is mounted in my case anyway.

AFAIK there is nothing extra needed between the meter box and the fuse board (unless you get a night meter fitted....I assume that would need cable from it to the fuse board).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Can anyone recommend a model of charger. Be it online or in a shop etc. I have no idea of who the players are in this market.
    I'd also be interested in this, info is hard to find: so far
    Zappi: fairly high end, can use solar if you have it, logging, adjustable
    Rolec: cheap, no "intelligence"
    Pod Point:https://pod-point.com/products/homecharge
    Charge Master
    ABL - german made, good quality , don't know about "intelligence"

KAGY wrote: »
    I'd also be interested in this, info is hard to find: so far
    Zappi: fairly high end, can use solar if you have it, logging, adjustable
    Rolec: cheap, no "intelligence"
    Pod Point:https://pod-point.com/products/homecharge
    Charge Master
    ABL - german made, good quality , don't know about "intelligence"

A ChargeMaster unit was included in the deal when I got my Leaf. It seems fine, hasn't let me down in the 7 months or so that I've had it. It's very basic, no "smart" features. Just plug in, turn a security key, and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Took a 2015 24kw for a test drive today. Battery was on 20% as dealer forgot to charge it over weekend.

First impressions where very good, didn't expect so much lift out of it when you put the foot down...

Was also strange hearing other sounds from the surrounding environment that would otherwise be masked by engine noise.

Seating made the car feel very tall, plenty of room inside and in the back, enough drink holders and cubby holes too...

Boot was surprisingly spacious, photos tend to be deceiving, but seeing it looked big enough for what we may need in the next few years.

Battery had 12 bars and mileage was around 17k.

But, it was a rather low spec Leaf, basic head unit, no reverse camera, no eco mode on steering wheel.

Definitely looking like going electric rather than diesel!

I always just thought the “done thing” when buying an electric car was to just by default to install a dedicated home charger point. However, my driving demands are not so high. 40k a day, 3 days a week, then pottering around.

do you really have to install a dedicated charge point (I know your not forged at gunpoint lol)

Have Any people here not botherered installing a dedicated charge point and instead just used the granny cable for their charging needs?

Note: I have a slow charge public facility 600 metres down the road.

• Advertisement

You get a €600 subsidy, basically making the chargepoint completely free. Why wouldn't you want to have one for free? :)

You get a €600 subsidy, basically making the chargepoint completely free. Why wouldn't you want to have one for free? :)

Rented house etc and may be moving in a while.
    Sounds like costs can go well above 600 too

Cost should not go well above 600 for a simple install. But I get it that you're renting, so you're not that keen to "pay" for home improvements. By all means, try living with the granny charger. Several regulars on here have done that for months and it didn't seem to bother them.

Cost should not go well above 600 for a simple install. But I get it that you're renting, so you're not that keen to "pay" for home improvements. By all means, try living with the granny charger. Several regulars on here have done that for months and it didn't seem to bother them.

As an alternative, was thinking of putting in an external weatherproof 3 pin plug. Just to keep it simple. Thing is don’t want to spend too much money on a rented house scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I did it for a year+ in a rented house.
    Once you're aware it takes ~10 hours for a full charge it's perfectly doable.
    A 3.3kW leaf would take 8 anyway so it's not much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SteM

Some Leaf ads have a description

4 Reversing Cameras

Can anyone explain how that works? How does it use 4 of them?

ELM327 wrote: »
    I did it for a year+ in a rented house.
    Once you're aware it takes ~10 hours for a full charge it's perfectly doable.
    A 3.3kW leaf would take 8 anyway so it's not much longer.

Did you have a weatherproof external 3 pin socket or did you just put it through the window etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Did you have a weatherproof external 3 pin socket or did you just put it through the window etc ?
    I had a garage so I put it through the window of the garage.
    I was planning to move very soon (and have since moved) but if I was planning on renting there on an ongoing basis i would have had an outdoor socket installed, it's much cheaper than a chargepoint so it wouldnt bother me to leave it behind.

SteM wrote: »

4 Reversing Cameras

It’s more of an “all around” view than a purely reversing camera would provide. It uses a camera on the boot, one under each door mirror and one at the front to display a kind of an aerial view of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

From the fuse box out to where the charger is mounted in my case anyway.

AFAIK there is nothing extra needed between the meter box and the fuse board (unless you get a night meter fitted....I assume that would need cable from it to the fuse board).

The night meter just replaces the old meter. No extra wiring needed.
    SteM wrote: »

4 Reversing Cameras

It's on the Tekna/SVE spec. As above, 4 cameras....boot, side mirrors and front of car. When reverse is selected, the view screen splits in half. 1 side shows the reverse camera only and the other side shows a cobbled together view of the other cams with the car super-imposed on the screen. It's actually really handy.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah the "360 degree" camera is a great feature. All cars should have that really. I'm not one for ticking expensive options when buying a car as almost all options are terrible value for money (and have huge margins / profits on them and they depreciate to zero as soon as you drive off the forecourt), but I would have paid extra for it, had it been an option on Ioniq

ELM327 wrote: »
    I had a garage so I put it through the window of the garage.
    I was planning to move very soon (and have since moved) but if I was planning on renting there on an ongoing basis i would have had an outdoor socket installed, it's much cheaper than a chargepoint so it wouldnt bother me to leave it behind.

get ya. but even if you installed a charge point, you could bring it with you........but then you need to un install and re install etc

in regard to the installation of an external weatherproof 3 pin plug, I presume this is a way simpler and more straightforward job than the full charge point install.

Any rough estimate of the cost to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

get ya. but even if you installed a charge point, you could bring it with you........but then you need to un install and re install etc

in regard to the installation of an external weatherproof 3 pin plug, I presume this is a way simpler and more straightforward job than the full charge point install.

Any rough estimate of the cost to do this?

How long is a piece of string, your outside Dublin so rates should be cheaper....

The parts to install would cost maybe a 5-10 euro. Best option is to get to know a local electrician or friend of family or something and get them to install.....

Your off the price list electrician will look for close to 100 I would guess....they will **** around for an hour or so and then install in 5 mins

If renting you could ask landlord to provide...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The 360 degree camera is the reason my wife doesn't want any other car than a Leaf, whatever the battery size.

She is completely dependant now on the parking cameras. I must admit I'm not much better.

I've seen stuff online about 3rd party options to install them on any car but I don't know if they're any good.

Nope. It's pretty much the same thing. A car charger is basically a 32A outdoor waterproof socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If renting you could ask landlord to provide...
    I'm a landlord and I would have no issue in allowing a tenant to install a charger, and I would offer them a few hundred quid for them to leave it behind when moving on if it wasn't worth their while removing it.

At the end of the day with EV numbers rising it will probably be a selling point for a landlord in 5-10 years.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The 360 degree camera is the reason my wife doesn't want any other car than a Leaf, whatever the battery size.

She is completely dependant now on the parking cameras. I must admit I'm not much better.

I've seen stuff online about 3rd party options to install them on any car but I don't know if they're any good.

Just buy eGolf and it will park itself....no need for the camera's:p

The Leaf 2 parking system looks poor in comparison to the VW system

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm a landlord and I would have no issue in allowing a tenant to install a charger, and I would offer them a few hundred quid for them to leave it behind when moving on if it wasn't worth their while removing it.

At the end of the day with EV numbers rising it will probably be a selling point for a landlord in 5-10 years.

Yes but you are an electric car owner. I know a few landlords, none of them are electric car owners and they will maybe allow a charger to get installed as long as if removing then no damage to house(so if any holes drilled they will need to be filled in etc)....

Nope. It's pretty much the same thing. A car charger is basically a 32A outdoor waterproof socket.

Agreed. I'd say that the install cost would be similar.

Would a waterproof external socket still require a priority switch? If not, it would be a cheaper install, but not by a whole lot.

If it was me, and my landlord was agreeable, I'd install a proper charger, using the grant to pay for most/all of it, and then just bring it with me when I moved.

• Advertisement

Agreed. I'd say that the install cost would be similar.

Would a waterproof external socket still require a priority switch? If not, it would be a cheaper install, but not by a whole lot.

If it was me, and my landlord was agreeable, I'd install a proper charger, using the grant to pay for most/all of it, and then just bring it with me when I moved.

No need for priority switch, I have multiple external plugs....they are just the same as standard plug except in waterproof casing....

The charger has a larger requirement and hence needs priority switch but only if you have electric showr as far as I know

Advertisement