Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes but you are an electric car owner. I know a few landlords, none of them are electric car owners and they will maybe allow a charger to get installed as long as if removing then no damage to house(so if any holes drilled they will need to be filled in etc)....

Very true. My landlord is a man in his 70’s. Old fashioned. Probably has little or no knowledge or even interest in electric cars. He will just see this as an eyesore on the side of the house and then how does it look when taken away with the holes as Shef says.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just buy eGolf and it will park itself....no need for the camera's:p

Will likely never buy an i3 or eGolf.

Badge based pricing.

Yes but you are an electric car owner. I know a few landlords, none of them are electric car owners and they will maybe allow a charger to get installed as long as if removing then no damage to house(so if any holes drilled they will need to be filled in etc)....
    Then they are being very short sighted. Sure I'm biased as a current EV owner but the fact is we are constantly being told that diesel is on the way out, all ICE cars to be banned within 20 years and therefore will be on the decline up to that point.

Refusing access to a charger like that would be daft. I would happily buy the charger from the tenant when they left so they would actually make a profit because the grant would probably cover the purchase and install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Will likely never buy an i3 or eGolf.

Badge based pricing.

If you can't understand the difference in driving a Leaf and driving a VW or BMW then no point in paying the price :P

Personally I prefer comfort and quality

Then they are being very short sighted. Sure I'm biased as a current EV owner but the fact is we are constantly being told that diesel is on the way out, all ICE cars to be banned within 20 years and therefore will be on the decline up to that point.

Refusing access to a charger like that would be daft. I would happily buy the charger from the tenant when they left so they would actually make a profit because the grant would probably cover the purchase and install.

Who is refusing access? Did I mention anything about refusing access?

If you want to waste money and buy a charger, that your own personal choice. As you mention you are then out of pocket and the tenant is up. Really what should happen is the grant is applied to the house. Not the tenant. Then the landlord can write off the installation against tax. That would make sense. So in fact it is the government that is short sighted, not the landlord who is already paying high tax.....

If you can't understand the difference in driving a Leaf and driving a VW or BMW then no point in paying the price :P

Personally I prefer comfort and quality
    No need to be condescending just because I disagree with you.

I've driven the i3. Comfortable yes, found the inside cheap and nasty looking.

• Advertisement

Who is refusing access? Did I mention anything about refusing access?
    Lol, you really are in a hump now aren't you.

The issue of landlords refusing permission to install a charger is a common one.

Lol, you really are in a hump now aren't you.

The issue of landlords refusing permission to install a charger is a common one.

No hump at all....just asking for you to clarify where I mentioned refusal?

To explain, the issue in most case is not refusal, the requirement of the tenant is to leave the property in the same condition before they leave the property....when requesting this of tenants they get the hump so normally it gets blocked....

Mostly because A. tentant doesn't want to pay for the installation in first place B. if they move out they want refund of installation costs C. Tenant does not want to pay for removal and restoration work of item...In these situations it is of no interest to the landlord and only more hassle than it worth.....

Of course charger are a new issue, this started years ago when people started hanging 2-3 crappy satellite dish out of side of house, self installation job with a plonker drilling huge holes and running cables all around the house to multiple TV's....this is why landlords request the property to be left in same condition as when first rented.....

I lived in rented accomodationfor years and I never had any issues with landlord/landlady. Once you are up front and agree a solution. Ranting and raving seems to be the common approach from people these days.....

No hump at all....just asking for you to clarify where I mentioned refusal?

You didn't. You said that Landlords would allow installation provided that holes in the wall etc were filled on departure/removal.

Doesn't that imply that if assurances were not given to refill and repair walls that permission would be refused?

My point was that I would encourage installation and help with the cost as it would add value to my house and to my rental potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You didn't. You said that Landlords would allow installation provided that holes in the wall etc were filled on departure/removal.

Doesn't that imply that if assurances were not given to refill and repair walls that permission would be refused?

My point was that I would encourage installation and help with the cost as it would add value to my house and to my rental potential.
    This is what I had to agree to, as a property owner with a management company.

Are you trying to say you are happy as a landlord to allow a tenent to drill hole in walls and not repair before they leave?

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to say anything.

I said that if a tenant wanted to install an EV charger, I would encourage and help them. Not as an EV driver, but as someone who can see the benefit of having one in a property I own.

I would have the discussion about what happened at the end of the tenancy before the work proceeded.

If the wanted to take the charger with them then of course I would either have them repair the wall, or I would get a second hand one and have it installed myself as it would cost buttons.

I'm not sure why you are trying to generate a disagreement with me for saying that I would encourage charger installation rather than curtail it.

In regard to the grant, I presume you just get a one off grant.
    i.e if I use my grant now to install it, then in 2 years time, I decide to move, I dont get another grant to help with the un install and re install. correct?

i.e if I use my grant now to install it, then in 2 years time, I decide to move, I dont get another grant to help with the un install and re install. correct?
    Correct, it's one grant per household.

Very true. My landlord is a man in his 70’s. Old fashioned. Probably has little or no knowledge or even interest in electric cars. He will just see this as an eyesore on the side of the house and then how does it look when taken away with the holes as Shef says.

Best approach, go straight to him and explain what you are trying to do. Offer to remove without any damage to property when leaving. might be best to find a spot on house which has access to car but not viewable from front....

If he has issue then offer alternative of asking could you go 50/50 on external plug. Again in position that is not visible from front of house. Maybe have a price already because that will be first question.....

have a few use cases for external plug(like power washer for outside house to clean, if garden then electric lawnmower etc etc)....

ELM327 wrote: »
    Correct, it's one grant per household.

Is it not done on MPRN number? I could be 100% wrong but I thought I read that somewhere

you can do the old Sky Sports trick and get the Misses to sign up

If you have no Misses I am sure you will pull one very quickly in your electrical motor vehicle :D

If all else fails, I can point you to some website which you can purchase said wife,

* Please note the cost of charger will be a lot less than the up keep of wife :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is it not done on MPRN number? I could be 100% wrong but I thought I read that somewhere

Which is he same I thought. You can never change your MPRN number so it’s one in the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah it's MPRN. When the new €600 subsidy was announced I played with the idea of bringing in an EV from the UK to sell for a profit and get a second EVSE installed for free as a nice side-bonus. But because I already got a free install on my MPRN, that's a non-runner.

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah it's MPRN. When the new €600 subsidy was announced I played with the idea of bringing in an EV from the UK to sell for a profit and get a second EVSE installed for free as a nice side-bonus. But because I already got a free install on my MPRN, that's a non-runner.

is there a time out on this I wonder, 5 years you can re apply for the grant etc

The salesman is correct in terms of getting the most range out of the battery, but those modes do have an effect on the way the car drives and if you know you're not going to run out before getting back to the charger, then leave them off if you feel more comfortable.

In my experience, ECO mode adds about 10% to the range.

Using B-mode makes sense too, if you want to maximise regeneration. Maxing that means you have to put less energy in from your house. For example, here are my stats from April:

Distance travelled: 1236km
    Electricity used: 220kWh
    Electricity generated: 44kWh (from using B-mode mostly)
    Nett electricity used: 176kWh

So by using B-mode, I got 44kWh for free (you will get some with B-mode off, but not as much).

Planning ahead (in terms of the actual trip and in terms of just looking ahead and braking/accelerating smoothly) is essential for getting the best economy.

Is the 161 car that you have on loan a 24 or 30kWh version? Either way, ignore the range displayed on the dashboard....it is commonly referred to as the Guess-o-meter. You're much better off watching the battery percentage, and in a 24kWh version a safe guide (unless you're driving it like a racecar) would be 1% of battery equals 1km in range.

Anyone know if you can easily bring up the battery percentage on the dash in the gen 1 leaf ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone know if you can easily bring up the battery percentage on the dash in the gen 1 leaf ?

No, it can’t be done on the Gen 1.
    Best option is to use leaf spy on your phone but that’s awkward when driving.

kceire wrote: »
    No, it can’t be done on the Gen 1.
    Best option is to use leaf spy on your phone but that’s awkward when driving.

Thanks. Ah ****e. Right that’s bloody annoying.

from my couple of days with the leaf, got talking to a few owners. Some comments from them.

- you should only let the leaf battery go down to 30% and charge up to 80% only. When it’s charged to 80, stop charging. Way better for battery

- another one said he prefers to specifyally use the granny cable to charge his car overnight , even though he has a charging point. He thought that charging it slowly overnight with granny cable was better for the battery.

Any truth in these comments. Don’t shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Jaysus, will you stop with all the questions and just buy a bloody car!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Any truth in these comments.

Yes, in theory it will prolong battery life and reduce degradation. But in reality it makes very little difference. And a complete nuisance to have to fast charge your L24 from 30%-80% literally every 40km when you are driving at 120km/h :p

Yes
    1 MPRN = 1 household. The wording specifies one per household.
    They are asking for the car reg, and VLC, so you will not get 2 grants for 1 car (IE if you move house) and you will not get 2 grants for 2 cars at the same MPRN.

I wonder if, as a potentially 2 EV house, we would be able to use the second grant somewhere else?

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wonder if, as a potentially 2 EV house, we would be able to use the second grant somewhere else?
    I don't see why not. I'm pretty sure I've heard of people in the old system buying a second EV and having their second free charger installed at their parents for example.

I don't see why not. I'm pretty sure I've heard of people in the old system buying a second EV and having their second free charger installed at their parents for example.

But - since they now ask for the VLC, I wonder if it's tied to the listed address.

I might try it if we do go full BEV, currently 1 BEV and one HEV

Soarer wrote: »

hahahaha....exactly what I was thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Soarer wrote: »
    hahahaha....exactly what I was thinking

You could just ignore the OP if you don't have anything more productive to add to the thread. Some are more cautious than other when it comes to spending thousands of euros. There have certainly been a lot of questions, but I don't see a problem with that....other than the OP delaying with the purchase will likely result in a higher purchase cost as EV prices continue to rise.

I have my own 2012 Acenta up for sale. Was planning to add a few thousand and upgrade to a 2014/15 Tekna and bring in from the UK, but the prices in the UK even in the past month have risen to the point where I have lost interest in rooting out a deal. I'll be removing the ad and hanging onto a perfectly good EV....and will live without the 360degree reversing cam and heated seats :p

Advertisement