Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

goz83 wrote: »
    You could just ignore the OP if you don't have anything more productive to add to the thread. Some are more cautious than other when it comes to spending thousands of euros. There have certainly been a lot of questions, but I don't see a problem with that....other than the OP delaying with the purchase will likely result in a higher purchase cost as EV prices continue to rise.

I have my own 2012 Acenta up for sale. Was planning to add a few thousand and upgrade to a 2014/15 Tekna and bring in from the UK, but the prices in the UK even in the past month have risen to the point where I have lost interest in rooting out a deal. I'll be removing the ad and hanging onto a perfectly good EV....and will live without the 360degree reversing cam and heated seats :p

Thanks goz.

Look, I know ive asked a load of questions and overkill and OTT and all that, but as you say, im spending thousands of euro so want to be sure, some people have no regard for money etc, I like to be sure before I spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thanks goz.

Look, I know ive asked a load of questions and overkill and OTT and all that, but as you say, im spending thousands of euro so want to be sure, some people have no regard for money etc, I like to be sure before I spend.
    I'd be of the same ilk too.
    Loads of questions, then buy something, then loads more questions :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You could just ignore the OP if you don't have anything more productive to add to the thread. Some are more cautious than other when it comes to spending thousands of euros. There have certainly been a lot of questions, but I don't see a problem with that....other than the OP delaying with the purchase will likely result in a higher purchase cost as EV prices continue to rise.

I have my own 2012 Acenta up for sale. Was planning to add a few thousand and upgrade to a 2014/15 Tekna and bring in from the UK, but the prices in the UK even in the past month have risen to the point where I have lost interest in rooting out a deal. I'll be removing the ad and hanging onto a perfectly good EV....and will live without the 360degree reversing cam and heated seats :p

Sorry no jokes allowed in this forum

By order of goz83

Thanks goz.

It was a joke....

I think I have tried to help when possible on thread

If not I will leave....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I don't see why not. I'm pretty sure I've heard of people in the old system buying a second EV and having their second free charger installed at their parents for example.

I'm pretty sure cros13 did something like that. Did he even get 3 chargers installed for EVs he bought himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

ELM327 wrote: »

The same criticism could be levelled at me in relation to buying a home charger. Decided I want to get a zappi but want an electrician to have a look at my set up first to see if I can install a 32amp unit without too much hassle - my fuse board is located in the middle of house.

I have couple of questions about the Zappi. Could it be installed on a 16amp line as it can deliver a variable output up to 32amp?

Would this be OK for grant purposes, ie installing a potential 32amp unit on a 16amp line?

Finally, what are people's experiences of these units, e.g. are they easy to configure with the car's charging timers. Would be a problem to regularly find the car not 100% charged in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Shefwedfan wrote: »

By order of goz83

Kinda going that way alright.

Or in your case, it's loads of questions, buy something, drone on about how much better your car is than another specific EV.

/joke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

By order of goz83

Text is a poor descriptor of jokes. I hereby order you to use smilies in future. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Thanks goz.

You're right to ask.

I spent about a fortnight asking questions on here (and elsewhere) before I bought. And many more besides after I bought!

I also kept a spreadsheet of daily mileage covered for about 6 weeks, with calculations showing cost of fuel for the car I had at the time versus what it would have cost in an EV. So, I "get" where you're coming from.

It's fair to say, though, that the longer you take to decide, the more you're losing by paying for petrol/diesel. In the end, I went from "I *think* this is a good idea, let's look into it some more" to actually buying a LEAF in about 6 weeks. In that time I needlessly spent about €700 on petrol. I ended up only getting €500 for my 2005 Civic, so I lost money by taking so long to decide. However, it's only after going through that process that I can see how wasteful that time was, and you can only really appreciate that for yourself when you've gone through it yourself.

From comments on here, and from looking at car sites, it seems that EVs are not only holding their value right now, but they're actually going up in value.

Based on that, and if you are happy that your commute is do-able and you have the back-up of an ICE car in the household, you'd be as well off to just buy one at this stage and give it a spin. I'd say that if it's really not for you, then you could potentially sell it on in 6 months for more or less what you paid for it. But in that time you'll have saved hundreds in fuel cost. It's kind of a no-brainer if you know the car will do your commute.

• Advertisement

Text is a poor descriptor of jokes. I hereby order you to use smilies in future. :p

:p

When I was a young lad.....continues rambling for 3 pages......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SteM

We took a 141 Leaf out for a test drive today. Wow, lovely car to drive. The wife is a convert, well be picking one up in the near future I think.

SteM wrote: »
    We took a 141 Leaf out for a test drive today. Wow, lovely car to drive. The wife is a convert, well be picking one up in the near future I think.

Fair play, it's a good car, in 3 years 85,000 Kms I only replaced wipers , tyres and pollen filter.

Fair play, it's a good car, in 3 years 85,000 Kms I only replaced wipers , tyres and pollen filter.

We took it for a drive and went to have a coffee to talk about it, by the time we decided to put down a deposit it was gone 😀

That's how you do it, @from_atozinc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Soarer wrote: »
    That's how you do it, @from_atozinc.

Ah yeah. Just as simple as that. I’ll just go out to the tree in back garden and get the money.

Ah yeah. Just as simple as that. I’ll just go out to the tree in back garden and get the money.

Sorry.

I assumed you had the money and were ready to purchase, not just tyre kicking.

Someone posted a link for a home charger that they recommended. I can't find the link, would you mind reposting?

Someone posted a link for a home charger that they recommended. I can't find the link, would you mind reposting?

Here's a post from myself last month. Don't know if the figures and stuff still add up.

Soarer wrote: »
    Here's a post from myself last month. Don't know if the figures and stuff still add up.

Thanks for that. Looks like they're still not applying the VAT if you ship it directly to Ireland for £18.

• Advertisement

I recently got Leafspy Lite up and running and have been checking stats for SOH and SOC over the last few days. Disappointed to see SOH for 2016 L30 with 50k kms is now at 90.8% which has dropped from 91.83% only 3 days ago.

Also on the SOC I found that up to this evening the % remaining on the dash matched pretty closely to the Leafspy %. However, this evening the dash was showing 12% remaining compared to 17.5% on Leafspy. Is it common to see some a variation between the two stats?

Finally yesterday I got my first puncture and was stranded by side of road for over 45 minutes waiting for the breakdown service to bring me to a tyre centre which simply plugged the tyre and got me on my way within 5 minutes - a large nail in centre of tyre base - not ideal but I was under serious time pressure to get to work so opted to risk it. Checked it a few times since and seems fine. Will get it checked out properly over weekend!

Because of the mad delay involved Im considering getting a space saver to throw in boot for longer journeys especially if travelling during 'anti-social hours' as I did for the s-max. Has anyone else done the same thing and what car wheel is compatible with the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought a full size wheel from another Nissan from a breakers yard, but don't keep it in the boot, too heavy.

My logic is that the Leaf is never too far from home, if I do ever get a puncture, then the OH can bring spare to me in our other car.

I bought a spare wheel online.
    The spare wheel from a couple of other Nissan models fit the leaf too. I think it was £40 + £10 shipping off ebay

I bought a spare wheel online.
    The spare wheel from a couple of other Nissan models fit the leaf too. I think it was £40 + £10 shipping off ebay

Was that for a spacesaver or full size wheel?

Must check what other Nissan model wheels are compatible with Leaf and see if I can get a 2nd hand spacesaver locally for a good price otherwise I might follow your approach and buy online. Would feel much better heading off on a longer journey with a spare .. don't want to add to the journey time which is already increasing because of growing queues at FCPs.

@Niman - agree a full size wheel is too bulky / heavy to carry around although if a used one could be bought cheaply would be handy to throw in garage. I have a set of winter tyres on a set of steel rims for the s-max which was great when I came out one morning and found I had a double puncture.

Space saver, I kept it in the boot with a bag that fitted underneath the upturned wheel with a jack and a tyre iron (can't remember the correct word for it) .

Used it twice in the 12 months I had it so it was most definitely worth it.
    I need to get the same for the Ioniq actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Boot space will be severely restricted with a spare wheel! Surely your insurance comes with free tow away (pretty sure all Ioniqs come with a few years AA membersip too). Would you not prefer to keep your money in your pocket and your boot space intact and just rely on these services? :)

unkel wrote: »
    Boot space will be severely restricted with a spare wheel! Surely your insurance comes with free tow away (pretty sure all Ioniqs come with a few years AA membersip too). Would you not prefer to keep your money in your pocket and your boot space intact and just rely on these services? :)
    NO!
    Don't fancy waiting 2 hours for recovery.
    I have the AA myself, my insurance has breakdown cover, and the Ioniq has 4.5 years of free AA with it. So I could ask for 3 vans.

Regardless. I have to think how much money I would pay for a spare wheel if I was stopped at the side of the road with a flat. I would pay more than €250 for the privelege. If it's midnight on saturday for instance, no tire place is open, where am I towed then? And how do I get a tire fixed or replaced afterwards on sunday? ANother callout fee?

No thanks. I hate this ridiculous removal of a spare tire. It's like visiting a hooker without using any sort of protection. Sure it might have short term gains (weight loss and better range in the EV, more pleasurable experience with the hooker) but both don't work out so well in the long term (stuck at the side of the road in the EV, catch STI with the hooker).

Sorry for crude analogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

NO!
    Don't fancy waiting 2 hours for recovery.
    I have the AA myself, my insurance has breakdown cover, and the Ioniq has 4.5 years of free AA with it. So I could ask for 3 vans.

Regardless. I have to think how much money I would pay for a spare wheel if I was stopped at the side of the road with a flat. I would pay more than €250 for the privelege. If it's midnight on saturday for instance, no tire place is open, where am I towed then? And how do I get a tire fixed or replaced afterwards on sunday? ANother callout fee?

No thanks. I hate this ridiculous removal of a spare tire. It's like visiting a hooker without using any sort of protection. Sure it might have short term gains (weight loss and better range in the EV, more pleasurable experience with the hooker) but both don't work out so well in the long term (stuck at the side of the road in the EV, catch STI with the hooker).

Sorry for crude analogy!

Having a spare hooker is the only way. :)

Space saver, I kept it in the boot with a bag that fitted underneath the upturned wheel with a jack and a tyre iron (can't remember the correct word for it) .

Used it twice in the 12 months I had it so it was most definitely worth it.
    I need to get the same for the Ioniq actually.

I have 3 of those small compressors. Plug into lighter and pump up tyre.....2 in one car and 1 in other....if doing long distance put the 2 into one car....

Simple job and a lot better than lugging around a spare and all the other requirements.....

Also a lot lighter :p

• Advertisement

I have 3 of those small compressors. Plug into lighter and pump up tyre.....2 in one car and 1 in other....if doing long distance put the 2 into one car....

Simple job and a lot better than lugging around a spare and all the other requirements.....

Also a lot lighter :p

Have those also but the can of foam or equivalent is useless for any kind of serious puncture. I hit a pothole on way back from Cork on Stephen's night a few years back. The tyre was bollixed and I had no spare tyre. Rang the breakdown assistance guys and all they could do was bring me to the nearest closed tyre centre where I could sit until it opened up next morning. Later that year I got a blowout .. repeat of the above problem so I had to ring a tyre repair call out service and was charged a €100 call out charge.

After that I bought a mondeo space saver for the s-max for €50.

Advertisement