Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have 3 of those small compressors. Plug into lighter and pump up tyre.....2 in one car and 1 in other....if doing long distance put the 2 into one car....

Simple job and a lot better than lugging around a spare and all the other requirements.....

Also a lot lighter :p
    If the weight of the spare tire was the issue I'd consider losing my own before I'd consider driving a car without one!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

creedp wrote: »
    Have those also but the can of foam or equivalent is useless for any kind of serious puncture. I hit a pothole on way back from Cork on Stephen's night a few years back. The tyre was bollixed and I had no spare tyre. Rang the breakdown assistance guys and all they could do was bring me to the nearest closed tyre centre where I could sit until it opened up next morning. Later that year I got a blowout .. repeat of the above problem so I had to ring a tyre repair call out service and was charged a €100 call out charge.

After that I bought a mondeo space saver for the s-max for €50.

Dont buy the cheap insurance....ask the T&Cs when renewing

My insurance will either bring the car home or to a local garage.

But if your car is brought home, how do you get the tire changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have a space saver in the boot built a false floor with space for the wheel, cables etc.

I've had it so long I don't even remember how spacious the boot was before it.

ELM327 wrote: »
    But if your car is brought home, how do you get the tire changed?

Take it off and bring to garage....

Do you really need an explanation for everything?

P.S. The person above mentioned his/her insurance would only bring to garage and leave over night.....hence bringing you home might, just might, be a better option.....is this really that difficult to understand I need to spell it out?

• Advertisement

P.S. The person above mentioned his/her insurance would only bring to garage and leave over night.....hence bringing you home might, just might, be a better option.....is this really that difficult to understand I need to spell it out?
    :confused:No.

I was illustrating the point that it's much less practical to do that than to simply change the tire and have a space saver in the boot.

:confused:No.

I was illustrating the point that it's much less practical to do that than to simply change the tire and have a space saver in the boot.

So did you succeed?

So did you succeed?
    Evidently not.
    Do you need an explanation for everything?

Evidently not.
    Do you need an explanation for everything?

That didn't really work now did it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

A quick post to show how out of touch with reality my GOM is, and why LeafSpy (even the Lite version) is a Godsend for Gen.1 owners like me.

Was rapid charging last night, and was keeping an eye on things on LeafSpy. Decided to put the phone on the dash to compare. Now, the GOM was flashing 8km, but my timing shows blank. But there are also no bars showing, despite the percentage on LeafSpy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Soarer wrote: »
    A quick post to show how out of touch with reality my GOM is, and why LeafSpy (even the Lite version) is a Godsend for Gen.1 owners like me.

Was rapid charging last night, and was keeping an eye on things on LeafSpy. Decided to put the phone on the dash to compare. Now, the GOM was flashing 8km, but my timing shows blank. But there are also no bars showing, despite the percentage on LeafSpy!

I had a similar issue with an L30 recently where the GOM on dash was showing 12% and 21kms while the SOC on the Leafspy Lite display was 17.5%. Normally the 2 stats are almost identical so maybe when the level of charge is low the leafspy is more accurate or could it be the case that the GOM on dash is more accurate?

The GOM is what matters, the leafspy figure is gross.
    The GOM is what will make the car stop. You could "run out" with 15% Leafspy SOC as the car may not let you access it.
    Generally for me when I had my leaf, absolute 0 turtle was around 5% on leafspy and absolute full varied from 96-97% SOC on leafspy. 97.3 was the highest I ever saw

That's fine and dandy if you are reasonably near home and actually want to go home or if the garage is open. Otherwise is a pain in the rear. I'm thinking you must have an aversion to changing your wheels .. bad experience at some point? Chip a nail maybe :D

@ mods. Any chance the other Leaf thread could be merged into this one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I recently got Leafspy Lite up and running and have been checking stats for SOH and SOC over the last few days. Disappointed to see SOH for 2016 L30 with 50k kms is now at 90.8% which has dropped from 91.83% only 3 days ago.

That sounds weird, I've taken regular Leafspy reading of our 2016 L30 and it's never gone outside 99%-102% SOH.
    90.8% appears very low.
    At least you have the 8 year warranty so that's reassuring because (without any scientific basis) it looks like you could be trending a battery warranty trigger.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Read the T&C carefully! This caught me out before. When they say they’ll transport you home OR to the garage, what they’ll usually do is bring you to whichever is closer to where you’re broken down. So you could easily end up with the car towed to a garage miles away from home. And if that happens over a weekend, you could be screwed.

Btw I’ve never had to use the foam and compressor to do a quick repair, so I have no first hand experience of it. Is it really that bad that you’d want to buy a space saver?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Why merge a 1474 post thread with a 403 post thread? This one is ridiculously long as it is, and should probably be closed IMO. Good luck trying to find any previous discussions, ever.

Exactly, threads should reach a max and then they should be closed.

slave1 wrote: »
    That sounds weird, I've taken regular Leafspy reading of our 2016 L30 and it's never gone outside 99%-102% SOH.
    90.8% appears very low.
    At least you have the 8 year warranty so that's reassuring because (without any scientific basis) it looks like you could be trending a battery warranty trigger.

I was pretty concerned myself when I saw it so will monitor closely over the next while to see if it is reasonably stable or continues to reduce. At least I can't blame over use of FCPs for the degradation at according to Leafspy it only has had 24 fast charges and 1809 slow charges to-date.

By the way what range are you getting with your L30 given that it has a much better reported SOH? I'm getting on average 140kms a charge with a mix of motorway, national road and city driving. Although if I increase speed to around 130 - 135 kmh on the motorway stint of my 65km commute home (when I'm rushing to get to a creche) I would burn through over 60% of the battery whereas sticking to 110 - 115 kmh would use between 45 - 50% of the battery.

Read the T&C carefully! This caught me out before. When they say they’ll transport you home OR to the garage, what they’ll usually do is bring you to whichever is closer to where you’re broken down. So you could easily end up with the car towed to a garage miles away from home. And if that happens over a weekend, you could be screwed.

Btw I’ve never had to use the foam and compressor to do a quick repair, so I have no first hand experience of it. Is it really that bad that you’d want to buy a space saver?

I've used it twice and in both case it was useless. To be fair in once case it turned out I had a badly damaged sidewall (inside facing) so I wouldn't have expected it to work. At this point, and maybe I'm not giving it enough credit, I wouldn't want to depend on it for anything other than a reasonably slow puncture.

• Advertisement

Why merge a 1474 post thread with a 403 post thread?

Why have people starting new threads on the same topic(s), instead of keeping everything in one place?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kangas daddy

Reading other posts about variances between speedometer in car vs ‘real’ speeds. While I can see the logic for manufacturers to indicate less battery power remaining than actual to prevent people running totally flat, the seemingly deliberate wrong speed display seems odd.
    Fair enough if they want to kid drivers they’re actually traveling at 120kph for example but most posts seem to say they drive over the indicated speed as it’s not accurate. If you do over-egg it and get busted for speeding how does the manufacturer stand by giving it seems knowingly wring speed indications?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The GOM is what matters, the leafspy figure is gross.
    The GOM is what will make the car stop. You could "run out" with 15% Leafspy SOC as the car may not let you access it.
    Generally for me when I had my leaf, absolute 0 turtle was around 5% on leafspy and absolute full varied from 96-97% SOC on leafspy. 97.3 was the highest I ever saw

what version/year?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Reading other posts about variances between speedometer in car vs ‘real’ speeds. While I can see the logic for manufacturers to indicate less battery power remaining than actual to prevent people running totally flat, the seemingly deliberate wrong speed display seems odd.
    Fair enough if they want to kid drivers they’re actually traveling at 120kph for example but most posts seem to say they drive over the indicated speed as it’s not accurate. If you do over-egg it and get busted for speeding how does the manufacturer stand by giving it seems knowingly wring speed indications?

Manufacturers set the speedo lower for if people put oversized wheels on the speedo will still be right. This is to prevent them being held accountable for speeding.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was pretty concerned myself when I saw it so will monitor closely over the next while to see if it is reasonably stable or continues to reduce. At least I can't blame over use of FCPs for the degradation at according to Leafspy it only has had 24 fast charges and 1809 slow charges to-date.

By the way what range are you getting with your L30 given that it has a much better reported SOH? I'm getting on average 140kms a charge with a mix of motorway, national road and city driving. Although if I increase speed to around 130 - 135 kmh on the motorway stint of my 65km commute home (when I'm rushing to get to a creche) I would burn through over 60% of the battery whereas sticking to 110 - 115 kmh would use between 45 - 50% of the battery.

Getting 130km in Winter and 190km this time of the year, the colder weather has a huge impact. Mostly around the town driving, have a diesel for the long motorway runs. I'd say if I was to take it on a pure motorway at 120kmh the range would not make the Winter figure just on gut feel for the times we have done something at that speed...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Manufacturers set the speedo lower for if people put oversized wheels on the speedo will still be right. This is to prevent them being held accountable for speeding.

Nah. Manufacturers set the speedo lower because legally they have to.

The indicated speed must be between the real speed and the real speed +10% + 4km/h

So an indicated speed of 160km/h could be anything between 160km/h and 180km/h

I have a suspicion why Nissan set the speedo in a Leaf so you won't hit 120km/h real speed until the speedo reads 133km/h :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Here's some research I came across showing that the 30kW battery appears to degrade faster than the 24kW.
    https://pushevs.com/2018/03/20/nissan-leaf-battery-degradation-data-24-vs-30-kwh-batteries

I think the data is from a NZ Facebook group so there may be a bias in that maybe people with worse performance were more likely to join the study

How's this compare to your experience?

Direct link
    https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/201803.0122/v1/download

what version/year?
    24kWh 2014 gen 1.5 SVE

unkel wrote: »
    Nah. Manufacturers set the speedo lower because legally they have to.

The indicated speed must be between the real speed and the real speed +10% + 4km/h

So an indicated speed of 160km/h could be anything between 160km/h and 180km/h

I have a suspicion why Nissan set the speedo in a Leaf so you won't hit 120km/h real speed until the speedo reads 133km/h :D
    I have the same suspicion.
    It wouldnt have anything to do with severe efficiency dropoff above 100km/h real world speed would it? No... no I'm not that cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Picking up my Leaf on Friday :-D
    To satisfy @unkel 's curiosity it's a 2015 (may) Tekna 24/3.3, with 25k miles, brought in by Electric Autos n Naas. It's just a small little back of garage operation, but Philip brought me out for a decent test drive, knew his stuff, and I got a good deal.
    Listed for €13.5k, Philips throwing in a granny cable, knocking a good bit off a Zappi (must be near cost price) and getting the alloys re lacquered. Knocked a bit off the price too and I'm sure I'll get a full charge too :-p
    452014.jpg

Advertisement