Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well wear!

Phil is well known and well respected in EV circles. And rightly so. You can't go wrong buying from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

unkel wrote: »
    Well wear!

Phil is well known and well respected in EV circles. And rightly so. You can't go wrong buying from him.
    First time buying a car where i didn't feel like i was being pushed into a sale. Even after putting a deposit on it he was happy to say there would be no problem changing my mind and refunding it.

1st journey will be 120km, half tempted to see if I can make it on one charge, fast charger at 90km though that might be far enough for my first taste of range anxiety :-)

Has anyone any experience of how the bank holiday traffic will affect range? Gut feeling is slow moving traffic (60-80kmph) should extend the range, but stop start traffic jams would decrease it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

KAGY wrote: »
    First time buying a car where i didn't feel like i was being pushed into a sale. Even after putting a deposit on it he was happy to say there would be no problem changing my mind and refunding it.

1st journey will be 120km, half tempted to see if I can make it on one charge, fast charger at 90km though that might be far enough for my first taste of range anxiety :-)

Has anyone any experience of how the bank holiday traffic will affect range? Gut feeling is slow moving traffic (60-80kmph) should extend the range, but stop start traffic jams would decrease it.

Fair play KAGY. You'll enjoy every minute of it.

Did you have LeafSpy run on it? Not that I'd imagine Phil would put you wrong, but it'd be nice/good to know where the battery actually is.

You should be able for the 120km trip as long as you're not sitting at 120km/h. "Normal" driving should get you there, but for the first trip, stop at the 90km charger and see what's what. You'll get a good idea for future journeys from that.

As for traffic, anything bar high speed motorway driving will help extend the range. When you're tipping along at 60-80km/h, you can back off the throttle and then feather it, trying to keep the little dot as close to centre of the dash as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Well wear and the magnetic red is the fastest colour too. You'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Well wear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I just asked Phil to keep an eye out for a Tekna 24/6.6 in gunmetal or bronze

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I just asked Phil to keep an eye out for a Tekna 24/6.6 in gunmetal or bronze

Good choice

KAGY wrote: »
    Just an update: Started off from Naas with 135km on the guess-o-meter, 90km later across backroads I had 58km left (and 4 1/2 tree's, I assume these are like gold stars in primary school). Could have easily made it home, but stopped off for a quick charge as I knew the better half would want a spin when I got home. One cup of coffee and a flick through of the manual and I was back on the road with 85%.

Guess the Leaf likes traffic jams or my granny-style driving!

Problems with the Carwings/EV connect/You+ app but I'll start a new thread. But eventually solved one problem, to change the Navigation to kms you have to change the Language to English (km)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Leaf was built for city driving, it'll achieve its longer range off the main roads/motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interesting leaf gen1 for sale.
    Advertisied as real world range of 35 miles.
    I'm curious as to how many battery bars are left in this. 35 miles would mean at most 6-7 remaining, but given sellers generally exaggerate it could be as low as 5.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2011/18960416

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Took my beast for a spin to Kinsale yesterday.

Left with 100%.
    Down to Kinsale and back home, via local Super Valu. No a/c on, but two windows down fully.

72km round trip, and LeafSpy told me I still had 31% left in the battery!

Happy out with that.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how many battery bars are left in this. 35 miles would mean at most 6-7 remaining, but given sellers generally exaggerate it could be as low as 5.

this is the refurb battery scheme (in Japan) https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116042_nissan-leaf-refurbished-batteries-offered-for-older-electric-cars-in-japan

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ad says 8 bars left. Silly asking price if it really can only do 35 miles, surely? But who knows, the prices of all second hand EVs have not just firmed up, they have actually gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SteM

So we're closely looking at a 24kwh leaf with a 6.6kw charger but fear has kicked in. The only issue is that we're booked to visit family in Wales in July. We'll be driving Tallaght to Rosslare and then the ferry to Pembroke Dock where we'll be based for a week. We'll be driving a bit around south Wales before coming back.

Does anyone have any experience of driving an EV in Wales? Any thoughts on the network there? I think we'll be fine on this side, we can stop off in Wicklow on the way to Rosslare to top up, it's the other side I'm worried about.

SteM wrote: »
    So we're closely looking at a 24kwh leaf with a 6.6kw charger but fear has kicked in. The only issue is that we're booked to visit family in Wales in July. We'll be driving Tallaght to Rosslare and then the ferry to Pembroke Dock where we'll be based for a week. We'll be driving a bit around south Wales before coming back.

Does anyone have any experience of driving an EV in Wales? Any thoughts on the network there? I think we'll be fine on this side, we can stop off in Wicklow on the way to Rosslare to top up, it's the other side I'm worried about.
    Wales is not so well covered by chargers but there should be enough to get back

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/our-electric-highway

Wales is not so well covered by chargers but there should be enough to get back

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/our-electric-highway

Thanks. That's brutal coverage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

unkel wrote: »
    Ad says 8 bars left. Silly asking price if it really can only do 35 miles, surely? But who knows, the prices of all second hand EVs have not just firmed up, they have actually gone up.

I agree, it is a bit expensive I think. I got a 2012 gen1 with 55k on it with 11 bars two months ago for 7.5k, it just took time to find a good one. If you are not in a hurry just wait. Also, maybe ping Phil from Electric Autos with your budget.

Thanks. That's brutal coverage!
    Yeah I agree. We're looking to plan a trip to Dover for a cruise next summer, myself partner and 2 kids, it's 600km from Holyhead to Dover so I was just looking about 1 hour before your post at the EH network in the UK... still had the tab open.

We're going to see a 151 Leaf tonight but it's a private sale. Anyone have anything specific that we should look out for in a second-hand Leaf? Any known issues that could come back to bite us?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

We're going to see a 151 Leaf tonight but it's a private sale. Anyone have anything specific that we should look out for in a second-hand Leaf? Any known issues that could come back to bite us?
    Check the rear tires for uneven wear... Some leafs have a misalignment of the rear axel (a couple of thread on it in here)
    Other than that check that all 12 battery bars are still there

• Advertisement

Check the rear tires for uneven wear... Some leafs have a misalignment of the rear axel (a couple of thread on it in here)
    Other than that check that all 12 battery bars are still there

I had read something about rear axel issue alright. It is cheap enough to fix I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If at all possible, arrange to have the alignment professionally checked. A lot of Leafs are affected by this and it’s around €400 to have it corrected. An alignment test will tell you if the car is going to cost you extra, or if you should negotiate that price off. I got my UK 141 covered because of an insurance policy I was sold and had to fight for it. Another poster bought privately from the UK too and Nissan gave a small goodwill discount, leaving a bill of €299 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

€400 isn't even a proper fix, it's a shim kit to correct the error and charging €400 to stick a couple of washers against the hubs is a joke.

The proper fix would be to replace the axle with one that isn't bent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Battery gone in one of our key fobs (151 Tekna). Nissan Bray quoting me €11(!!!!!) For a replacement CR2025 battery. Do they need to do any fancy re-pairing work or are they just ripping me off for a bog-standard battery!? i.e. can I just do it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

DrPhilG wrote: »
    €400 isn't even a proper fix, it's a shim kit to correct the error and charging €400 to stick a couple of washers against the hubs is a joke.

The proper fix would be to replace the axle with one that isn't bent!

Once the tracking is in order afterwards, what difference does it make? It shouldn't cost €400 though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

g0g wrote: »
    Battery gone in one of our key fobs (151 Tekna). Nissan Bray quoting me €11(!!!!!) For a replacement CR2025 battery. Do they need to do any fancy re-pairing work or are they just ripping me off for a bog-standard battery!? i.e. can I just do it myself?

CR2032 will also fit for slighty higher capacity and therefore better life and nothing but the battery itself is needed. Don't use an euro store/fake named batteries but something good instead. I normally get 6 or 12 CR2032 from reputable ebay seller and you should get a bunch of them for 11 yoyo including delivery. I still haven't seen a unit that came with CR2025 not accepting 2032 instead.

Edit: I think 11 Yoyos is bit rich but not daylight robbery. You can save some money doing it yourself but many folk would be happy enough for that price for piece of mind I guess. I would have in fairness expected higher price than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

samih wrote: »
    CR2032 will also fit for slighty higher capacity and therefore better life and nothing but the battery itself is needed. Don't use an euro store/fake named batteries but something good instead. I normally get 6 or 12 CR2032 from reputable ebay seller and you should get a bunch of them for 11 yoyo including delivery. I still haven't seen a unit that came with CR2025 not accepting 2032 instead.

Edit: I think 11 Yoyos is bit rich but not daylight robbery. You can save some money doing it yourself but many folk would be happy enough for that price for piece of mind I guess. I would have in fairness expected higher price than that.

You can get an 8 pack of CR2032 batteries, if you are swinging by Ikea, for €1.25
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/smart-home-appliances/cables-chargers/plattboj-lithium-battery-art-80291156/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Or if you just want a single battery, Maxwell CR2032s are €1 in Power city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Table all, had IKEA 2032s so tried one but no luck. I tested some old Chinese 2025 yesterday but none worked either, so now I'm stuck with a key not working. Defo no possibility that it has unpaired or anything? No sequence of buttons I need to press or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kangas daddy

g0g wrote: »

I replaced CR2025 batteries in a friend’s Mercedes keyfob last week. I searched YouTube for the how-to and job done in less than a minute for all of €1.50 for the batteries!

Advertisement