Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

g0g wrote: »
    Table all, had IKEA 2032s so tried one but no luck. I tested some old Chinese 2025 yesterday but none worked either, so now I'm stuck with a key not working. Defo no possibility that it has unpaired or anything? No sequence of buttons I need to press or anything?

Not sure if the IKEA ones are "high quality". I have used one on a motherboard in the past but... I don't think that LEAF needed anything special but it won't hurt to go to stand next the car and keep hitting the unlock button several times. These have rolling code and some cars lose the sequence of codes if battery goes flat and you then need to resync the remote to the car by several presses in row.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Table all, had IKEA 2032s so tried one but no luck. I tested some old Chinese 2025 yesterday but none worked either, so now I'm stuck with a key not working. Defo no possibility that it has unpaired or anything? No sequence of buttons I need to press or anything?

Had the same issue with a key from a leaf. Had to get re programmed at Nissan. Cost 50 euro or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

I was considering a leaf for quite a while but I have heard the insurance is substantially dearer AND yet another price hike by Electric Ireland due soon, I start to hesitate again just as I did originally with range anxiety being the main drawback, also every so often the range increases, which I feel will make me wish I'd waited longer, so just wondering how others feel about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The majority I suspect would be in the same boat as me in that their insurance was quite a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine was massively cheaper
    5 points
    accident last year, 5 years NCB (via protection)
    Renewal quote €700 for fully comp
    I paid more than that for 3rd party last year on a diesel repmobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

RichieO wrote: »
    I was considering a leaf for quite a while but I have heard the insurance is substantially dearer AND yet another price hike by Electric Ireland due soon, I start to hesitate again just as I did originally with range anxiety being the main drawback, also every so often the range increases, which I feel will make me wish I'd waited longer, so just wondering how others feel about it...

I had just renewed my insurance on an 07 crv diesel which was approx 650 (incl broker) 2 months before I got my l40 leaf. Received 79euro back as a refund, the insurance for a leaf especially the newer ones should be cheaper as it has a multitude of safety devices and is not considered a performance car, a tesla however is and insurance costs are dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

And to wrap it up: Electric Ireland increase will increase the cost of driving 20k a year from 350 to 370 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Insurance is cheaper for EVs and since nightrate electricity is 8-10 times cheaper than diesel anyway, it doesn't matter a whole lot if it goes up 10%.
    Plus most EV drivers are on discount contracts for power... getting 15-30% off the headline rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

Thanks for the replies, I did not get a proper quote for insurance yet, it was this:- https://extra.ie/2017/08/06/business/irish/want-insure-electric-car-youre-big-shock - article that got my attention, but it's not recent, although I assumed there was some truth in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That site seems to be an Irish Mail paper. Important to check who the source of the info is. Screaming headlines nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The majority I suspect would be in the same boat as me in that their insurance was quite a bit cheaper.

Have a 2 year policy with Blue Insurance (161 Sportage), rang to enquire about changing to a 182 Leaf, they will give me a 50 euro refund, so that's 650 for 2 years fully comp and full no claims protection. Very happy with that..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mine was not much cheaper for the Leaf....from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

My insurance had about 2 months to go when I changed from diesel to L40. No price difference. I then got my renewal letter with a quote of >700 and the other quotes I was getting were similar price range.

Then I rang Zurich who have a special EV rate. Their quote was 385 for a better policy than I had been on :D

Needless to say they got my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I went from an old banger last year to a brand new Ioniq EV and I got an insurance refund.

If heading away on holidays for week or 10 days, what is the recommended charge to leave car at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Somewhere between 70-80% I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I normally leave it around 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Car Wash - bought a second hand Leaf (1.5 gen) about 3 months ago & delighted so far..
    NOT so delighted when I took it into a car wash 3 weeks ago (drought just starting), & a bang while having it washed (automated car wash) left me with a broken brake light. (the high rear one, kinda part of the spoiler) I’d never used this particular car wash.
    Garage told me to PFO & tough tiddly...
    Obviously, I was pretty mad.
    Upon reading the drivers manual, it seems Nissan don’t recommend car washes, so it is a case of tough tiddly I guess..
    I went back later to the shop/ service station, & took pics of the sign in front of car wash (which I didn’t see obviously) which advised to exclude any cars with spoilers,
    Anyway I replaced the brake light (round€200 from Nissan)

So, please be aware (maybe you are,sorry) don’t take your Leaf into a car wash! (rant over..)
    Completely my fault for not reading the manual (thoroughly enough) - love driving electric otherwise...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Coill1 wrote: »
    Car Wash - bought a second hand Leaf (1.5 gen) about 3 months ago & delighted so far..
    NOT so delighted when I took it into a car wash 3 weeks ago (drought just starting), & a bang while having it washed (automated car wash) left me with a broken brake light. (the high rear one, kinda part of the spoiler) I’d never used this particular car wash.
    Garage told me to PFO & tough tiddly...
    Obviously, I was pretty mad.
    Upon reading the drivers manual, it seems Nissan don’t recommend car washes, so it is a case of tough tiddly I guess..
    I went back later to the shop/ service station, & took pics of the sign in front of car wash (which I didn’t see obviously) which advised to exclude any cars with spoilers,
    Anyway I replaced the brake light (round€200 from Nissan)

So, please be aware (maybe you are,sorry) don’t take your Leaf into a car wash! (rant over..)
    Completely my fault for not reading the manual (thoroughly enough) - love driving electric otherwise...

Sorry for your loss but from being 8nt9 cars since I was about 15, I can honestly say I’ve never once, and never will drive into one of those car washes.

They destroy paint, damage cars and point blankly don’t clean the car properly.

Hand wash only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I just read this whole thread, really very informative thanks everyone. OP's incessant questions were pretty much all the same questions I was having :D I am wondering did the OP actually take the plunge yet?!

Hope to spend around 12k in the next 5-6 weeks, so hopefully Leaf prices will not rise too much between now and then!

• Advertisement

As long as it suits your daily commute/mileage, you be mad not to.

My tax and insurance have been paid in the last few weeks.
    Tax €120.
    Insurance €275 fully comp.
    combined with work charging, I'm convinced it's cheaper than cycling!

Soarer wrote: »
    As long as it suits your daily commute/mileage, you be mad not to.

My tax and insurance have been paid in the last few weeks.
    Tax €120.
    Insurance €275 fully comp.
    combined with work charging, I'm convinced it's cheaper than cycling!
    Can I ask who insured you for such a small premium ?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can I ask who insured you for such a small premium ?

I'm with RSA through work.

Think it's RSA anyway. Must check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Finally fitted LED replacement bulbs on our L24. Bought one of those kits on eBay which covers rear plate lights, side lights and the lower running lights next to fog lights.
    Very happy with the result, and for anyone thinking of doing it the job is grand needing nothing more than a screwdriver to get in behind wheel arches.
    Doubt it'll save any energy, but makes the car look way better I think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Finally fitted LED replacement bulbs on our L24. Bought one of those kits on eBay which covers rear plate lights, side lights and the lower running lights next to fog lights.
    Very happy with the result, and for anyone thinking of doing it the job is grand needing nothing more than a screwdriver to get in behind wheel arches.
    Doubt it'll save any energy, but makes the car look way better I think

+1
    It was the first thing I done when I bought my L24.
    Out of interest, do you have a link to the DRL set you bought as they can be hit and miss due to the length and diameter of the bulb. Many won’t fit into the housing.

It might help people who want to buy as I know the guy I bought off in early 2017 is not selling them anymore.

kceire wrote: »
    +1
    It was the first thing I done when I bought my L24.
    Out of interest, do you have a link to the DRL set you bought as they can be hit and miss due to the length and diameter of the bulb. Many won’t fit into the housing.

It might help people who want to buy as I know the guy I bought off in early 2017 is not selling them anymore.
    I bought the set from seller mnftech_led
    Here's a current item for sale which matches what I bought.
    All six bulbs worked anyway and will report back on thread if they all fail quickly! :)

What year is yours g0g?

Mine is a 2011, and doesn't have DRLs...just fogs. I'm fairly certain I bought the same set as you, and the DRLs don't fit the foglight housing.

What year is yours g0g?

Mine is a 2011, and doesn't have DRLs...just fogs. I'm fairly certain I bought the same set as you, and the DRLs don't fit the foglight housing.
    It's a 151 UK Tekna import. I actually got quite confused installing the bulbs in the fog light circle. I assumed it was the longer bulb in the middle that I was replacing. I got it out and couldn't manage to get the bulb off. Then I copped on that it was the second roundy bulb that I was actually replacing. Once I figured that out it was easy enough, I was following some foreign language youtube video with subtitles to do the job.

It's a 151 UK Tekna import. I actually got quite confused installing the bulbs in the fog light circle. I assumed it was the longer bulb in the middle that I was replacing. I got it out and couldn't manage to get the bulb off. Then I copped on that it was the second roundy bulb that I was actually replacing. Once I figured that out it was easy enough, I was following some foreign language youtube video with subtitles to do the job.

Yup, followed the same tutorials!

I think I posted my trials and tribulations way back in this thread.

If it's of any comfort, I run with my mains on all the time, and haven't a bulb blow yet!

I also replaced the interior lights with LEDs. That'll be your next job!

• Advertisement

Yup, followed the same tutorials!

I think I posted my trials and tribulations way back in this thread.

If it's of any comfort, I run with my mains on all the time, and haven't a bulb blow yet!

I also replaced the interior lights with LEDs. That'll be your next job!
    Oh that's interesting about the interior. Rather than trawl through a billion posts in the thread, any chance you have the list of bulbs replaced and type of bulb to replace with? Easy enough job?

Advertisement