Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Soarer wrote: »
    What year is yours g0g?

Mine is a 2011, and doesn't have DRLs...just fogs. I'm fairly certain I bought the same set as you, and the DRLs don't fit the foglight housing.

The DRL bulb and the fog light bulbs are different. P13 and H11.
    Is the Gen1 housing different?

g0g wrote: »
    I bought the set from seller mnftech_led
    Here's a current item for sale which matches what I bought.
    All six bulbs worked anyway and will report back on thread if they all fail quickly! :)

Same seller. I couldn’t find them last week as a friend was asking me.
    Those green bulbs (DRL) are the best ones out there. They fit the Leaf perfect. Most of the others have to be filled down to fit into the housing.

One of mine failed after 14 months and he sent me a. Ew set for half price which was good of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Folks, can I ask for a buying advice (second hand Leaf24) in here?

EDIT: poste in a separate thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057899327

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

When I was looking at chargers and fitting last October there was a price difference between the two versions. At that stage the 32a was about €200 more expensive.

If there is no price difference now, then it’s a no brainer.

TBH even if there still is a couple of hundred in it, you’d be as well of getting the 32a if your budget can cope. It leaves you set up for faster charging down the line.

The install is reasonably straightforward. In my case it involved about 7m of cable, plus whatever magic goes on in the fuse box, plus a priority switch. The switch is important if you have an electrical shower in your house, as it diverts power away from your car when the shower comes on to avoid over loading the system.

Sorry if this has already been answered. I don't have a drive in and don't want to run a cable across the pavement to charge. I would have to park in the back lane and charge through the back yard. Can the charger be installed outside in the yard? I have a socket there so there is power. If they can only be installed inside how does it work with the cable going to the car? Do you have to leave a window open at night for the cable to go through? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EV car charge points are installed outside :)

So yes, you can have the charger installed in your back yard, but only if you have private parking there and the cable isn't going over any public / shared space

• Advertisement

So I recently had a test drive. 24kw 3.3. I found the steering quite heavy on it? Is there a "city drive" option on these? Have one on my car and it makes the steering nice and light. My partner's Renault Capture has also light steering without the button. Anyone else notice this? I could really see the difference when I got back into my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

So I recently had a test drive. 24kw 3.3. I found the steering quite heavy on it? Is there a "city drive" option on these? Have one on my car and it makes the steering nice and light. My partner's Renault Capture has also light steering without the button. Anyone else notice this? I could really see the difference when I got back into my car.

I reckon there's something wrong there. The Leaf's steering could never be described as heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Aye but i had a punto with the city driving function. you could breath on it and it with turn the wheel.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Aye but i had a punto with the city driving function. you could breath on it and it with turn the wheel.

Yep, I have a Fiat as well. Love the city drive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Steering on my Leaf would be light IMHO.

Maybe check the tyres?
    Inflated properly?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Steering on my Leaf would be light IMHO.

Maybe check the tyres?
    Inflated properly?

I'm going to test drive a few more to see if it was a one off. Hopefully it was. Does the leaf have a similar button?

I'm going to test drive a few more to see if it was a one off. Hopefully it was. Does the leaf have a similar button?

Nope, no button.

Just light steering. Not as light as the Punto city driving, but light none the less.

Random outburst.

What’s the warranty on the 30kWh battery?
    8 years/100k Miles?

Yep, spot on. Whichever of the two comes first.

unkel wrote: »
    Yep, spot on. Whichever of the two comes first.

Cheers horse.

And it is miles isn’t it?

Yes miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

So after 100k miles is there any point in keeping up the yearly service ?
    I know there's the pollen filter and break fluid change but any independent or DIYer could do that and surely leaf spy could give you the health report.

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I know there's the pollen filter and break fluid change but any independent or DIYer could do that and surely leaf spy could give you the health report.

Wouldn't think so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Stealthirl wrote: »

Nissan service cost me €76 for my L30, for the sake of a couple of quid I'll be keeping up Nissan service history, I can change the filter myself and have Leafspy

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

+1

It really costs very little. It might come in handy if you are looking for a goodwill gesture out of warranty.

• Advertisement

+1

It really costs very little. It might come in handy if you are looking for a goodwill gesture out of warranty.

I wouldn't bother based on my experience with Nissan and Goodwill Gestures. BMW trump everyone in that department.

I have full Nissan history on my 141 with 72k km. They gave me the rear axle shim kit at half price but I had to pay the full dealer labour rate. Effectively I got something like €80 off, it wasn't worth it.

But you actually had not even ever paid for a Nissan service yourself though, had you?

Even if you had paid (say €99 for a service), then €80 goodwill made that service almost free :D

But you actually had not even ever paid for a Nissan service yourself though, had you?

Even if you had paid (say €99 for a service), then €80 goodwill made that service almost free :D

Yeah, I had the full service done at €129 iirc when I first bought it in H&M D15.
    They couldn’t fit me in so I went to airside. Maybe if I stuck with H&M, they would have offered something off the labour.

Thought id ask here aswell

Was going to order weather tech mats and LED DRL's, If anyone has an opinion on them ?

I believe these are the best ones ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Nissan-Leaf...75.m4096.l9055

Is this a good ODB tool for leafspy on an Iphone https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...4X3IA8UV&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

I've read on various forums that the original 2011 Leaf had issues with the electric parking brake. Mine is a 152 with the foot brake. I've never had a car with a foot operated hand brake before and I just don't like it so haven't been using it. Its just occured to me that I might be damaging the electric parking brake by letting it take the cars weight on an incline etc. Anyone know if they upgraded the electric parking brake or if the only fix for this issue was to include the foot brake. Thoughts?

You don't really need a handbrake in an automatic car imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Dmangan wrote: »
    I've read on various forums that the original 2011 Leaf had issues with the electric parking brake. Mine is a 152 with the foot brake. I've never had a car with a foot operated hand brake before and I just don't like it so haven't been using it. Its just occured to me that I might be damaging the electric parking brake by letting it take the cars weight on an incline etc. Anyone know if they upgraded the electric parking brake or if the only fix for this issue was to include the foot brake. Thoughts?

I think from reading your post you may have confused two things.

1) You have the transmission brake which engages when you press "P" like all automatics.
    2) You have the foot brake in the 2013+ models which is the same as a hand brake just foot operated.
    3) You have the electric parking brake in the 2011-2013 models where you press a button to enagage the parking brake (i.e. its neither a hand or foot operated brake, just a button) and this is the one that is known to give trouble in early Leaf's.

Your 152 has 1 and 2. It does not have 3.

It is generally good practice to use the foot/hand brake when you put an automatic car in Park to take the weight of the car off the parking pin in the transmission.

Nissan recommends you use both so you should do that. If the parking pin were to snap it is the same as having the car in neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Thanks for that. Cleared it up. I thought that the "transmission brake" was this faulty parking brake that I had heard about. So no issue with just using the transmission brake on the flat anyway but I take your point anyway. Cheers.

You don't really need a handbrake in an automatic car imho.

Plenty of Americans agree.
    Iv driven autos for years and only use the e-break when im on a hill.

• Advertisement

+1
    I can’t remember the last time I used the hand brake on my Leaf.

Advertisement