Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

kceire wrote:
    +1 I can’t remember the last time I used the hand brake on my Leaf.

So why it's there at all? Manual says to use the button as well as the pedal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

McGiver wrote: »

Not sure.
    I put it in P and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

McGiver wrote: »
    kceire wrote:
    +1 I can’t remember the last time I used the hand brake on my Leaf.

It’s a plan B
    Pressing “P” is just a pin in the transmission, it can sheer off if put under too much pressure.
    e.g. rear end shunt

If that happens the car is effectively in neutral and if your on a hill off it will go.

Shunt a car with the handbrake on might move it, but it probably won’t take off.

Think of it a bit like a seat belt... you don’t need it until you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

KCross wrote: »
    It’s a plan B
    Pressing “P” is just a pin in the transmission, it can sheer off if put under too much pressure.
    e.g. rear end shunt

If that happens the car is effectively in neutral and if your on a hill off it will go.

Shunt a car with the handbrake on might move it, but it probably won’t take off.

Right, I didn't use it initially, but then I'd started a while ago. The car jerks forward a bit when you park on the hill/not flat surface just with the button and I don't like that feeling kind of.

It’s a plan B
    e.g. rear end shunt

Might start using it now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

if your on a hill off it will go.

I admit I do put on the handbrake usually when I'm parked on a hill. Which is very rare. I guess another difference between Cork and Dublin :D

You are also supposed to park with your front wheels turned into the curb (if you're parked downhill) and away from the curb (if parked downhill)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

unkel wrote: »
    You are also supposed to park with your front wheels turned into the curb (if you're parked downhill) and away from the curb (if parked downhill uphill)

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Hi all , I've been keeping my eye on EVs over the past 12 months and they seem to be coming into range for my budget and range needs.

My daily commute is 100km (50 each way) total with half of that on a hilly stretch of motorway. One or two days a week I do have to take a detour which brings up the commute to 160km (50km on motorway the rest 80-100kmph)

Would a 30kwh leaf manage this? No charging options at work as yet.

Also anything to be wary of the few 13k pound 30kwh leads on autotrader?

Such as
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809120413610?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=l10aa&page=11&make=NISSAN&fuel-type=Electric&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

Thanks

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Hi all , I've been keeping my eye on EVs over the past 12 months and they seem to be coming into range for my budget and range needs.

My daily commute is 100km (50 each way) total with half of that on a hilly stretch of motorway. One or two days a week I do have to take a detour which brings up the commute to 160km (50km on motorway the rest 80-100kmph)

Would a 30kwh leaf manage this? No charging options at work as yet.

Also anything to be wary of the few 13k pound 30kwh leads on autotrader?

Such as
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809120413610?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=l10aa&page=11&make=NISSAN&fuel-type=Electric&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

Thanks

30kwh Leaf - all day long no problem.
    24kwh Leaf will do this with careful driving but not much left in the tank for emergency or detour. For example I done Finglas to Dundalk (M50 and M1) the other morning at 4 degrees out. Left house at 7.30am. Travelled the 80km using 79% of the battery but I had cruise control set to 100kmh and I had heated seats on for 50% of the journey and hot climate control on for maybe 40% of the journey.

I have a 24kwh car.
    Edit - I think the 30kwh car will actually be in the linitvat the 160km trip.
    A 10-15 min charger at a fast charger would mean you could complete it easily with a significant amount of battery still remaining afterwards.

kceire wrote: »
    30kwh Leaf - all day long no problem.
    24kwh Leaf will do this with careful driving but not much left in the tank for emergency or detour. For example I done Finglas to Dundalk (M50 and M1) the other morning at 4 degrees out. Left house at 7.30am. Travelled the 80km using 79% of the battery but I had cruise control set to 100kmh and I had heated seats on for 50% of the journey and hot climate control on for maybe 40% of the journey.

I have a 24kwh car.
    Edit - I think the 30kwh car will actually be in the linitvat the 160km trip.
    A 10-15 min charger at a fast charger would mean you could complete it easily with a significant amount of battery still remaining afterwards.

Thanks I think the 100km should be no problem it's the 160km trip I am worried about alright. Not great charging options around me either. I'm confident enough in my hypermilling ability but never driven an ev so not sure either.

• Advertisement

160km at even just 100km/h would be pushing it in a L30. On a good day. In winter / rain / wind you can forget about it. Unless you can charge for a bit somewhere, even an hour on a granny cable could make the difference you'd need

If that's not possible, would you be able to stretch your budget to an Ioniq? Early ones come up on Autotrader from about GBP20k now and then. It would still have a long warranty, it's very efficient and depreciation is likely to be fairly low. Stick all that in an excel spreadsheet and you might get figures that work for you (even though you will have to come up with thousands more up front, there's no way around that)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

160km at even just 100km/h would be pushing it in a L30.

I'd disagree. The GOM on the L30 shows 200km on a full charge, so I think 160km would be manageable, but careful driving is definitely recommended.

However I do also agree that an Ioniq would probably do it better.

I'd say you're the only person in the country that could manage 160km in rain and wind in winter in a L30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The worst I ever got in a L30 was 140km. That was a full car with a packed boot, Dungarvin to Carlow on the M9 at high speed on a wet and windy winters day.
    My commute is 47km each way. Driving easy I could do the full 94km with 50% battery remaining in warm weather, maybe 40% battery remaining in cold weather. I think 160km in winter would be stretching it a bit.
    OP, can you use a Granny charger in work? Standard 3 pin plug at 10 Amps would add about 14km for every hour on charge.

Ya the ioniq would probably be my car of choice for this but its too much of a stretch at the moment for us.

I've been dropping hints around charging at work however I reckon a plug would need to be installed for me so not sure if it's a runner.

Any reliability issues with the l30? I've been reading up on the software upgrade for the battery management on speakev. Has anyone here been having significant drop of in SOH in theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd say you're the only person in the country that could manage 160km in rain and wind in winter in a L30 :)
    Maybe he intends to push/flintstone the last 30km?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Maybe he intends to push/flintstone the last 30km?

No, I genuinely believe he would be able to do the 160km even in winter. He has a long history of efficient driving, he has posted his average consumption figures for his L24 here before and they are remarkable

He'd get 280km out of an Ioniq in winter too :D

I've been dropping hints around charging at work however I reckon a plug would need to be installed for me so not sure if it's a runner.

Why do you reckon? An extension cord out the window if you can park near the building would do the trick. And you'll only need it once or twice a week. That will cost your employer about a fiver a week in electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, I genuinely believe he would be able to do the 160km even in winter. He has a long history of efficient driving, he has posted his average consumption figures for his L24 here before and they are remarkable

He'd get 280km out of an Ioniq in winter too :D
    Unsure if sarcastic or not!
    But if genuine, it's not helpful to tell prospective buyers that the l30 will do 160km in the winter because quite frankly it wont. It might for the poster concerned but unless he's pushing the car himself or it's all downhill I quite frankly don't believe it. in the summer yes but not the winter.

Why do you reckon? An extension cord out the window if you can park near the building would do the trick. And you'll only need it once or twice a week. That will cost your employer about a fiver a week in electricity.

Just as the car park is about 50m from the nearest window plus I don't think H&S would be to impressed with such a setup. I'll keep up hint dropping.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Unsure if sarcastic or not!
    But if genuine, it's not helpful to tell prospective buyers that the l30 will do 160km in the winter because quite frankly it wont.

Genuine. But agreed with your point though. A newbie will be stuck on the 160km trip. A point I strongly made myself on this forum only a few days ago when someone mentioned that no problem, they could do a certain range

Ok so 160km is too much of a stretch. Also I guess a 2016 L30 will have lost some range too.

Final question guys and thanks for the input, what's the pure motorway range at an indicated 120....On a cold wet windy day?

Double post

Final question guys and thanks for the input, what's the pure motorway range at an indicated 120....On a cold wet windy day?

Tripple post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Genuine. But agreed with your point though. A newbie will be stuck on the 160km trip. A point I strongly made myself on this forum only a few days ago when someone mentioned that no problem, they could do a certain range

I have an L30 with a Leafspy reported SOH of 87% - 2016 with 67k km. I might be able to get 160km in the summer but I would struggle to get 140km now. My commute is 70km each way and I wouldn't attempt the return journey now without a top up. It might make it but I'm not chancing it!! Most of the commute is a mix of N / M road and I normally dawdle along at between 105 and 110 kmh indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

For me in my 24kwh, I'd be lucky to get 85km at that speed and those conditions.

In a 30kwh I'd guess maybe 110km at best.

creedp wrote: »
    I have an L30 with a Leafspy reported SOH of 87% - 2016 with 67k km. I might be able to get 160km in the summer but I would struggle to get 140km now. My commute is 70km each way and I wouldn't attempt the return journey now without a top up. It might make it but I'm not chancing it!! Most of the commute is a mix of N / M road and I normally dawdle along at between 105 and 110 kmh indicated.
    that's great information thanks a million.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

140km as I said in my last post.

Advertisement