Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Would all 161 teknas have a 6.6 kw charger or how could I tell that?

No, the 6.6kw is optional on all pre-2018 Leaf's.

You have to go into the menu on the dash and scroll to the screen that shows the charge times. If you see a 6.6kW charge time it has the 6.6kW charger. If you only see a 3.6kW time then it doesnt have it.
    There are payments outstanding on it all right. Should I be worried about that?

Not so much worried but you do need an explanation and you need to ensure its cleared before you hand any money over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

kceire wrote: »
    12 bars should give more than that.
    I get 100km at 100kmph on my 11 bar L24.
    (Technically as I get 80km on 80% on motorway).

To be honest I have never rrstedothe battery properly, it run it from 100% to near zero.

Its usually based on estimates. I seem to get 1km per 1% on the battery, that's what I'm basing it on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SteM

JPA wrote: »
    You need the car reg to apply for the grant.

I applied for the seai home charger grant last week and wasn't asked for the car reg. Just waiting for the Letter of Offer. I did need the car reg for the esb network registration though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be honest I have never rrstedothe battery properly, it run it from 100% to near zero.

Its usually based on estimates. I seem to get 1km per 1% on the battery, that's what I'm basing it on

I get 1% per 1km at 100kmph.

I get 1% per 1km at 100kmph.

I'm wondering is there anything to running at a faster speed, so the car has momentum already and doesn't need as much power to keep it at 100kmph?

I did another run today and got less than 1km per %. It was around town, then into rural area and eventually over a mountain. A lot of slowing down then getting back up to speed, which leaves you with 5 power dots on the dash as you have to floor the accelerator?

If you get up to 100kmph on a nice flat dual carriageway, maybe it takes less power to keep it at 100?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

I'm wondering is there anything to running at a faster speed, so the car has momentum already and doesn't need as much power to keep it at 100kmph?

I did another run today and got less than 1km per %. It was around town, then into rural area and eventually over a mountain. A lot of slowing down then getting back up to speed, which leaves you with 5 power dots on the dash as you have to floor the accelerator?

If you get up to 100kmph on a nice flat dual carriageway, maybe it takes less power to keep it at 100?

There’s a couple of physics equations that will answer that. And probably a few here that know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Yup. I've been in touch via email and I don't think there's anything in my price range at the moment.

I was months waiting for the right car to come along and had given up,so paid Phil a deposit on one that was close enough,while he was waiting to get the VRT done he got one that was everything i wanted except the color and he kindly VRTed that one for me :D
    Couple of questions for people:

Do people plug theirs in every night or only the nights that it's near empty and needs to be charged up in full.

Is there a standard nissan 3 year warranty, including battery?

What are peoples realistic ranges in the L24?

What are peoples fears around battery failure?
    142 L24 owener with 96% SOH

1. Depends on what iv planed the next day,i mostly plug in less then 25% and charge to 100%
    2. Standard nissan 3 year warranty on the car and theres a 5/8year one on the EV components depending on it being a L24 or L30/40
    3. Worst i have gotten is 86km and best was 128km [i only have it since Oct and went in with the expectation id get 80km worst case and 130km best] id say come milder weather id get over 130km. A good average for me is 100km with 12-15% left
    4. If it happens i doubt it will be in my ownership. Its not relay a battery failure issue just degradation over time, car still works 100% you just wont get as much range the lower the SOH gets

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Looking at possibly getting a L30, basically for work 5 days a week 30km each way never use on weekends. What is a decent price for a L30?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Nolars wrote: »
    Looking at possibly getting a L30, basically for work 5 days a week 30km each way never use on weekends. What is a decent price for a L30?

If thats all its gonna be used for, save your search and get an L24 Tekna.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Less power than what?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Do people plug theirs in every night or only the nights that it's near empty and needs to be charged up in full.

Do 50km round trip to work, charge in work daily. Try to keep it at 100% if I know I'll be going on a long run the following day, otherwise just charge in work.
    What are peoples realistic ranges in the L24?
    1km/1% going at 60 at the M7 roadworks does wonders for the range!
    What are peoples fears around battery failure?
    None

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nolars, the trade in offer on our 161 L30 was €17K but he would be selling it for €20K.

Those with older models, with battery degredation, It's individual cells that are shot. Does anyone refurbish by replacing cells? Looks like a business that has a market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Would people go for a 6.6 151 or a 3.6 161.

Second car for me so the overnight is fine. Guessing the 6.6 would have better resale.

Less power than what?

Like driving the mountain Road I did the other day, constantly undulating, loads of climbs.

I would guess if you are doing 100kmph on a motorway, to keep the car at 100kmph, you rarely have to push the car so that 4 dots are filled? Maybe someone who does that commute confirm?

Would people go for a 6.6 151 or a 3.6 161.

Second car for me so the overnight is fine. Guessing the 6.6 would have better resale.

Are they the same model?

Soarer wrote: »
    Are they the same model?

Well that might be another question :D but supposing they were both Tekna?

The question is too open ended. It would depend on the price.
    New, the price difference between a 3.6 and a 6.6 was €900.
    Then you need to look at the difference in price on the open market for a 151 vs 161.

Then decide whats better value.
    If you need the 6.6 then you put more value on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

First Tekna,then 6.6, 3.3 and the last one,the year.

But Irish "buyers" will appreciate the plate "look & feel"...works like better buy a crappy 161 than a proper 151 ! :)

Good luck...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They would both have to be the same spec to compare.
    I would rather a 3.3 Tekna than a 6.6 mid level.

Also, I wouldn’t pay extra for 6.6 myself as most of my charging is either over night. If they were both the same price I’d nearly go for the newer one depending on condition and mileage.

They would both have to be the same spec to compare.
    I would rather a 3.3 Tekna than a 6.6 mid level.

Also, I wouldn’t pay extra for 6.6 myself as most of my charging is either over night. If they were both the same price I’d nearly go for the newer one depending on condition and mileage.

What I'm thinking myself, ideal world newer tekna 6.6 but I'm thinking newer tekna 3.6 would be better than older tekna 6.6 (of similar mileage) for my needs.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Looking at a 2016 24kW Leaf Tekna (Private Sale) on Saturday in Dublin.

Just wondering:

1) What I should look out for?
    2) Where best in Dublin to meet? I'm guessing a charger near the M50/N7 as I will be heading to Cork straight after.
    3) Advisable stops on the way home. (I have the ecar connect app but I dont know what sockets I can use? Chademo? ComboDC? Fast AC Type 2?)
    4) When the app says its available and working, what % of the time is that correct?
    5) My reading of it is, 100km per hour on the motorway, ideally tucked in behind a bus. That correct?
    6) AOB???

Thanks for all your help, boards.ie has cost me more money yet again :D

Meet at their house and make sure they have the car at 100%.

Stick to 100km/h on the way home.

Don't know the range of a 2016 L24, but always leave enough in the tank to get to the next charger, just in case there's a problem with your original option.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hi Guys,

Just wondering:

2) Where best in Dublin to meet? I'm guessing a charger near the M50/N7 as I will be heading to Cork straight after.
    3) Advisable stops on the way home. (I have the ecar connect app but I dont know what sockets I can use? Chademo? ComboDC? Fast AC Type 2?)
    4) When the app says its available and working, what % of the time is that correct?
    5) My reading of it is, 100km per hour on the motorway, ideally tucked in behind a bus. That correct?
    6) AOB???

Thanks for all your help, boards.ie has cost me more money yet again :D
    1) Plenty of threads here, look at leafspy for SOH, check bars and miles and make sure if possible you get the 2 charging cables
    2) Meet at their house, so you know it's the seller's house and not stolen etc
    3) Dublin to Cork you will be looking for Chademo stops on the way home. Take your time leaving dublin get used to the car etc, avoid Naas and Midway. I would reccomend quick top up at Junction 14, then on to ballacolla and possibly another further stop after that.
    4) When the app says its available and working, what % of the time is that correct? Not always correct, I reccomend checking Zap Map, Plugshare and Ecars, in that order.
    5) My reading of it is, 100km per hour on the motorway, ideally tucked in behind a bus. That correct? 100km/h as a maximum. Behind a bus is great, behind a semi truck is better as they travel at 90. Don't worry about that though, it's your first trip and you need to learn the parameters of the car. The M7/M8 is well served with fast chargers.
    When I had my leaf I would start out at 90-95 on a long motorway trip and watch the battery percentage. The general guide on a normal day without using the heater is that 1% = 1km at 100km/h indicated. But I've seen less and I've seen more.
    6) AOB???Enjoy!

Hi Guys,

Just wondering:

What month was the car registered in in 2016? If there is a few months warranty left it makes it a safer buy but I'd check these things....

1)
    - Check rear tyre wear, particularly passenger side. Known issue with the outside edge wearing more than inside on some Leaf's. This means you have to replace tyres more often than normal... hence more cost to you.

- Since its a Tekna some of the alloys can get what they call worming.... Nissan replaced all 4 of mine!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106414417&postcount=1335

- It would help to have LeafSpy but since you're a noob you probably arent setup for that? Do you know anyone that could lend you one?

- Obviously check that you have 12 bars battery health. For a 2016 it should have 12 which means its at least 86% SoH. In reality a 2016 should be 90-95% but only LeafSpy will tell you that.

- After that just the usual checks that the various buttons etc work internally.... SatNav(i.e. it has its SD card... €€€ to replace), A/c and heating(seats and steering wheel) would be the most important.

- Things like charging ports will be covered under the 5yr drivetrain warranty so you will be fine there even if they have issues, so its really the things that come under the 3yr warranty that you need to focus on.

5) I wouldnt bother with drafting behind trucks. Thats a miserable way to drive a long journey. Just start at 100km/h and enjoy the spin. As ELM suggested 1%=1km is a good rule of thumb and monitor that versus how far the next rapid charger is.

Thanks a lot guys.

The seller is coming from the North, they've offered to meet at their house without any questions initially but I was saying about meeting on the way and Dublin would be a big help for me. Would be looking for proof of address, Id etc. etc. Is it still crazy not to go up?

Anyone around Dublin on Saturday with leaf spy? Or willing to drop it to my buddies place in Dundrum so we can use Sat? Or willing to sell me :D

Thanks a lot guys.

The seller is coming from the North, they've offered to meet at their house without any questions initially but I was saying about meeting on the way and Dublin would be a big help for me. Would be looking for proof of address, Id etc. etc. Is it still crazy not to go up?

Anyone around Dublin on Saturday with leaf spy? Or willing to drop it to my buddies place in Dundrum so we can use Sat? Or willing to sell me :D

Leaf spy is an app on iOS or android, to use it with the car you need to buy the app (approx €20 and well well worth it) and you need an ELM327 OBD adapter, bluetooth for android and wifi for ios. The seller may have one, worth asking. I had it when selling and unfortunately gave the adapter to the purchaser of my leaf.

KCross wrote: »
    What month was the car registered in in 2016? If there is a few months warranty left it makes it a safer buy but I'd check these things....

1)
    - Check rear tyre wear, particularly passenger side. Known issue with the outside edge wearing more than inside on some Leaf's. This means you have to replace tyres more often than normal... hence more cost to you.

- Since its a Tekna some of the alloys can get what they call worming.... Nissan replaced all 4 of mine!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106414417&postcount=1335

- It would help to have LeafSpy but since you're a noob you probably arent setup for that? Do you know anyone that could lend you one?

- Obviously check that you have 12 bars battery health. For a 2016 it should have 12 which means its at least 86% SoH. In reality a 2016 should be 90-95% but only LeafSpy will tell you that.

- After that just the usual checks that the various buttons etc work internally.... SatNav(i.e. it has its SD card... €€€ to replace), A/c and heating(seats and steering wheel) would be the most important.

- Things like charging ports will be covered under the 5yr drivetrain warranty so you will be fine there even if they have issues, so its really the things that come under the 3yr warranty that you need to focus on.

5) I wouldnt bother with drafting behind trucks. Thats a miserable way to drive a long journey. Just start at 100km/h and enjoy the spin. As ELM suggested 1%=1km is a good rule of thumb and monitor that versus how far the next rapid charger is.

It was registered in March I think so I'll get a couple of months to take a look at those things you've mentioned.

I'll see what I can do about getting the leaf spy dongle before I go up so.

What % do you drive to? i.e. do you say I'll use 90% to get to this rapid charger and then another 90 etc. or is it closer to 80?

Would this work with a leaf? https://www.adverts.ie/other/mini-elm327-obd2-obdii-bluetooth-scan-scanner-tool-code-reader-v2-1-obd2-car-diagnostic-tool-mini-elm-327-bluetooth-for-android-symbian-for-obdii-protocols/15538961

I'll see what I can do about getting the leaf spy dongle before I go up so.

I missed where you are from... Are you from Cork? I can loan you one if you are.

You'll need to install the app on your phone first though.... preferably the pro (paid) version.

What % do you drive to? i.e. do you say I'll use 90% to get to this rapid charger and then another 90 etc. or is it closer to 80?

When you rapid charge you will only be doing so to 80%. After that the charge rate is very slow so its better to unplug and move on.

How low you go with the % is up to you. I'd say for first time out maybe aim for 15% so that you have some spare in case you need to detour to a slow charger.

KCross wrote: »
    I missed where you are from... Are you from Cork? I can loan you one if you are.

You'll need to install the app on your phone first though.... preferably the pro (paid) version.

When you rapid charge you will only be doing so to 80%. After that the charge rate is very slow so its better to unplug and move on.

How low you go with the % is up to you. I'd say for first time out maybe aim for 15% so that you have some spare in case you need to detour to a slow charger.

Yup, Corkman, work in the City, would appreciate the loan. Will order one but that probably won't get here in time.

Do you know if this will do?

https://www.adverts.ie/other/mini-elm327-obd2-obdii-bluetooth-scan-scanner-tool-code-reader-v2-1-obd2-car-diagnostic-tool-mini-elm-327-bluetooth-for-android-symbian-for-obdii-protocols/15538961

So 80% to 15% Gotcha.

• Advertisement

Yup, Corkman, work in the City, would appreciate the loan. Will order one but that probably won't get here in time.

Do you know if this will do?

https://www.adverts.ie/other/mini-elm327-obd2-obdii-bluetooth-scan-scanner-tool-code-reader-v2-1-obd2-car-diagnostic-tool-mini-elm-327-bluetooth-for-android-symbian-for-obdii-protocols/15538961

So 80% to 15% Gotcha.
    That looks like a bluetooth one which works on android only.

Advertisement