Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

highdef wrote: »
    Have had ongoing issues with the 152 Leaf sometimes not charging at night (on timer). Had the original ESB fitted charge point at home. Got the car checked out by Nissan and they said that whatever the problem was, it was not the car that was at fault. Got the charge point replaced a few weeks ago at a cost of €500 :mad:

All good until a few days ago. Heading to bed a few nights ago, I looked out the front door window (was snowing out so the view was pretty) and noticed that the car was not charging. It should have been at that stage as the battery was down to 4% when I got home earlier that evening. The charge point had a slowly flashing blue light which is expected behaviour and means that it is operating as normal and is not currently in charge mode. I had to switch off the timer to invoke charging. By commute time in the morning, the car had only got to 95% charge as there was not enough time for it to fully charge.

If I hadn't looked out the window, I would've had a dead car in the morning. As the new charge point is brand new and professionally installed, I think it's highly unlikely that I have another faulty home charge point. I suspect that the car is at fault. Anyone else have similar issues with a faulty Leaf? Can anyone advise what I should do next?

Maybe post a few pics of your charge timer settings. Maybe something is clashing and causing an issue?

Do you have a priority switch in the house?

As Soarer said, try it without timers in the meantime and that will confirm it for you. At least you will have something to go back to Nissan with then. They probably just connected a charger, overrode the timer, and started a charge and said... "yea, thats working, all ok.

They probably didnt try the timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Cheers, will post a photo this evening, if I think of it, when the car is back home.

Only have a 16amp charge point so no priority switch. There's always power to the chargepoint.

The issue seems completely random with regards to when it occurs. The new charge point was installed nearly three weeks ago and the issue the other night was the first time it happened since installation.

The old ESB fitted charge point would usually show a red light when overnight charging did not occur. It would need a reset to erase the alarm light. The new charge point shows no such warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

highdef wrote: »
    Cheers, will post a photo this evening, if I think of it, when the car is back home.

Only have a 16amp charge point so no priority switch. There's always power to the chargepoint.

The issue seems completely random with regards to when it occurs. The new charge point was installed nearly three weeks ago and the issue the other night was the first time it happened since installation.

The old ESB fitted charge point would usually show a red light when overnight charging did not occur. It would need a reset to erase the alarm light. The new charge point shows no such warnings.

Probably not the timers then if you are saying its completely random.

Only other thought I have is that you might have a faulty cable.... maybe a bad connection that only happens sometimes depending on how you have twisted the cable that day?

Without doing anything too extreme maybe put the car on charge and flex the cable all along its length and see does the charge session cut out.

Check for anything inside the pins of the cable also or any excessive wear or bending etc.

KCross wrote: »
    Probably not the timers then if you are saying its completely random.

Only other thought I have is that you might have a faulty cable.... maybe a bad connection that only happens sometimes depending on how you have twisted the cable that day?

Without doing anything too extreme maybe put the car on charge and flex the cable all along its length and see does the charge session cut out.

Check for anything inside the pins of the cable also or any excessive wear or bending etc.

That sounds like an excellent suggestion. I'm not the main user so I will get himself to perform the checks as it makes more sense for the main user to check the cable and connections. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Pygmie

Hi all! I'm in the market for a used Leaf. My work round trip is less than 50km a day, with the odd short trip at lunch time thrown in and I plan to charge at home at night time. We're a two car family with the missus driving an ICE so planning on using the Leaf for my day to day and the ICE for longer journeys. I'd like a 30KW version for better re-sale in a few years time. Thinking of re-sale, would it be better to go for a newer Acenta Leaf with a higher mileage, or one (Tekna) that's a year or two older but has half the mileage? Let's say the battery condition is the same for both. Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

samih wrote: »
    This was my 152:

Actually, just wondering, do the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel have back lights as well? The ones that control the trip computer and brightness of the dash as well as the ones that unlock the charge port, heat the steering wheel etc.? Once again I assume they should, but want to make sure.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pygmie wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm in the market for a used Leaf. My work round trip is less than 50km a day, with the odd short trip at lunch time thrown in and I plan to charge at home at night time. We're a two car family with the missus driving an ICE so planning on using the Leaf for my day to day and the ICE for longer journeys. I'd like a 30KW version for better re-sale in a few years time. Thinking of re-sale, would it be better to go for a newer Acenta Leaf with a higher mileage, or one (Tekna) that's a year or two older but has half the mileage? Let's say the battery condition is the same for both. Thoughts?

Why would you not go 24KW? You'd get it cheaper and your mileage is well within range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My commute is 106kms and the odd short trip in the evening and I do it no bother any time of the year on 80/100km/h roads.
    I would recommend the 30 if you could afford it, newer, greater range (think depths of Winter), less charging, better resale and an 8 year battery warranty.
    Personally none of the Tekna features appeal to me and the speaker in the boot is actually a negative but that's just my opinion.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Pygmie

I guess my worry with the 24KW is that when I go to resell the car, that nobody would touch it - purely down to battery size, seeing at the trend seems to be towards bigger and bigger batteries in new cars. Would anyone want a second hand 24KW car in 3 years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

I guess my worry with the 24KW is that when I go to resell the car, that nobody would touch it - purely down to battery size, seeing at the trend seems to be towards bigger and bigger batteries in new cars. Would anyone want a second hand 24KW car in 3 years time?

Yeah they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SteM

They'll be perfectly suited to anyone that runs a second car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Buy at a good price now and you won't lose much.

I've seen them up at 7k. Gen 1 leaf you should get 70km range in all weathers (make sure it has 12 bars, or at worst 11)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'd buy the Tekna / SVE purely for the better spec and interior comforts. Its what you will see and use most.

jasonb wrote: »
    Actually, just wondering, do the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel have back lights as well? The ones that control the trip computer and brightness of the dash as well as the ones that unlock the charge port, heat the steering wheel etc.? Once again I assume they should, but want to make sure.

Thanks!

Sorry to quote myself and drag this on, but if anyone can confirm that the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel (trip computer, brightness of dash, and charge port unlock etc.) should be backlit on a 151 L24 I'd appreciate it. Also, should the buttons on the steering wheel itself be back lit?

I just want to make sure I know exactly which backlights aren't working before I bring it back to the garage.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In my SVE 14 leaf 24kWh I don't remember any of the buttons at the driver's knee being backlit.
    I stress this is from memory and I've had 5 cars since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't think they are backlit.
    If they were, I'd think I'd remember.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't think they are backlit.
    If they were, I'd think I'd remember.

I agree.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. So basically the right hand buttons aren't backlit and the middle console ones are. What about the buttons on the steering wheel? Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The steering wheel buttons should be lit.

Perfect! Thanks everyone, I now have a list to give to the garage. Appreciate the help...

• Advertisement

Did you check the fuse?

Soarer wrote: »
    Did you check the fuse?

That had occurred to me, and I assume that all these different lights not working is caused by one issue and therefore should be fixed by fixing that one issue. But I'm deliberately not going near it, it stopped working after the Garage did a Service, so it's up to the garage to get it sorted again as far as I'm concerned.

That had occurred to me, and I assume that all these different lights not working is caused by one issue and therefore should be fixed by fixing that one issue. But I'm deliberately not going near it, it stopped working after the Garage did a Service, so it's up to the garage to get it sorted again as far as I'm concerned.

Seems like you're going to an awful lot of hassle for a quick look under the bonnet and a €1 fuse.
    But each to their own.

Seems like you're going to an awful lot of hassle for a quick look under the bonnet and a €1 fuse.
    But each to their own.

I get what you're saying, but they've already looked at this issue once and didn't get it sorted, so I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that they checked the fuse. But I can check it myself this evening, just in case!

Anyone know why my display won't tilt/open? The button "clicks", but nothing happens.

This isn't a new thing. It's never worked in the 2 years I've owned the car. But not that we're talking about centre consoles....

Does the button beep at all, or just the physical click of pressing it? I presume you are both pressing it quickly and holding it for a few seconds?

No, no beep. Just the physical click.

I've tried everything bar put my foot through it.

Well that's the extent of my knowledge, sorry! Did a quick google and while there are a few issues there around the screen not opening fully or not closing fully, there's nothing I could see about it just not moving at all. Maybe get it looked at the next time it's being serviced?

Well that's the extent of my knowledge, sorry! Did a quick google and while there are a few issues there around the screen not opening fully or not closing fully, there's nothing I could see about it just not moving at all. Maybe get it looked at the next time it's being serviced?

:D:D

My poor car doesn't visit the main dealer!
    8 years old.
    182k kms.
    9 bars.

If there's a problem, I clear it with LeafSpy.

• Advertisement

:D:D

My poor car doesn't visit the main dealer!
    8 years old.
    182k kms.
    9 bars.

If there's a problem, I clear it with LeafSpy.

Ah, I see! Great to see a Leaf doing so well for so long (stuck screen notwithstanding!).

You could always try pressing the button and trying to GENTLY lever the screen at the same time, in case the screen is stuck and needs encouragement? But as it's not beeping either I'd be thinking it might be that the button isn't working?

Advertisement