Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Could anyone clarify for me if there are different body types available for the Nissan Leaf. We're looking at getting one as a second family car, so it would need to be big enough to take a double buggy, like an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Gatica wrote: »
    Could anyone clarify for me if there are different body types available for the Nissan Leaf. We're looking at getting one as a second family car, so it would need to be big enough to take a double buggy, like an estate.

Nope, but the 2018 L40 has a bigger boot and can take my uppababy vista which has very wide wheels. Bring your buggy to the showroom with you if buying new. If buying older, the leaf has a decent sized boot but again check with your buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Nope, but the 2018 L40 has a bigger boot and can take my uppababy vista which has very wide wheels. Bring your buggy to the showroom with you if buying new. If buying older, the leaf has a decent sized boot but again check with your buggy.

Both models have also a handy storage space for the parcel shelf when not in use and I reckon you might be able to fit the folded down buggy on standing up position if the space under the shelf turns out to be too small. And yes, the 2018 model does have a considerably bigger and better shaped boot than the previous car. The parcel shelf is almost twice the depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

samih wrote: »
    Both models have also a handy storage space for the parcel shelf when not in use and I reckon you might be able to fit the folded down buggy on standing up position if the space under the shelf turns out to be too small. And yes, the 2018 model does have a considerably bigger and better shaped boot than the previous car. The parcel shelf is almost twice the depth.

An old trick I always did when traveling in france with more in the boot than the parcel shelf could cover is to do away with it, get a cheap black sheet from TK Maxx and just throw it over anything in the boot. If you have an SVE or Tekna the back windows are all tinted and with the black sheet nothing is seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Next question!

Any recommendation for Tyres for a 151 L24? Not the SVE, so 16" wheels. For the last few years I've used Michelin Energy Saver+ Tyres as I find they last a good while, but with the Leaf I'm wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations?

Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fael

jasonb wrote: »
    Next question!

Any recommendation for Tyres for a 151 L24? Not the SVE, so 16" wheels. For the last few years I've used Michelin Energy Saver+ Tyres as I find they last a good while, but with the Leaf I'm wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations?

Thanks...

Bought 4x Continental EcoContact 6 205/55 R16 91V on tyreleader.ie for €296 delivered. Got garage to put them on for me and do alignment as well.

It was very hard to find a tyre with A rating for both fuel efficiency and grip in the wet, so was happy to find these. Only had them a few weeks, but find the grip very good and they are nice and quiet. I just bought the leaf and the previous owner had 3 different Chinese brands between the 4 tyres. Could only improve.

Cool, thanks for your reply. I'll look into those...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

fael wrote: »
    Bought 4x Continental EcoContact 6 205/55 R16 91V on tyreleader.ie for €296 delivered. Got garage to put them on for me and do alignment as well.

It was very hard to find a tyre with A rating for both fuel efficiency and grip in the wet, so was happy to find these. Only had them a few weeks, but find the grip very good and they are nice and quiet. I just bought the leaf and the previous owner had 3 different Chinese brands between the 4 tyres. Could only improve.

Interesting as I was just about to purchase 2 Michelin Energy Saver + tyres for Leaf and wasn't aware of these. Will have a look. I'm very interested in the A rating for fuel efficiency and wet grip as the Michelin Energy Saver are rated at B and A respectively.

Will replace Nexen Blue HD tyres which I found very poor in the wet and could light up the TC very easily. Currently have Nokian winters on which are far better that the Nexen.

My one concern with continental tyres is their mileage. Previously had premium contact 5 on an s-max and got 10k and 12k miles on the front from 2 different sets while managing 15k miles with Michelin Premacy tyres and 18k miles with Goodyear asymmetric 3.

Anyone else use Michelin energy savers and have any view on their performance on a Leaf?

Funny, I've used Michelin Energy Saver+ for years now, as they last for ages, but not on the Leaf as I only got it a few months ago. That said, both the Continental EcoContact 6 and the Nokian eLine2 are listed as A for both Fuel Efficiency & Wet Grip, and are cheaper too. So I might try either of them and see how many miles I get out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Pygmie

I'm currently looking at a used Nissan Leaf that's for sale 150km from where I live. As this would be my first EV, how would I go about charging the car when bringing it back home? I have to give evidence of ownership when registering for charge point access - but I won't have that before I buy it. Has anyone had this problem that could give advice?

• Advertisement

Before I received my Charge Card I used to just ring the Number on display on the chargers and they'd turn the charge on for me. They nearly always asked for my Reg Number, some asked for my name and some didn't. I think I had applied for a card at that stage, but I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I never had any issues at all just ringing them and asking them to turn on/turn off the charge.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you don't want to ring them there's an app called ZE Pass which will let you activate the chargers with your phone. You need to add a credit card but it won't charge you. It's meant to be for Renault customers but anyone can use it.

Plugsurfing app might work too but I've not actually tried it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pygmie wrote: »
    I'm currently looking at a used Nissan Leaf that's for sale 150km from where I live. As this would be my first EV, how would I go about charging the car when bringing it back home? I have to give evidence of ownership when registering for charge point access - but I won't have that before I buy it. Has anyone had this problem that could give advice?

When I sold my Leaf, I gave the new owner one of my eCar cards so he could get home, and then he posted it back to me.

You can also ring the 24/7 number - 01-2583799 and they will start/stop the charge.

You can also request the cards before buying the car, I done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Pygmie

Great! Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I had my night rate meter installed, my eCars card in my pocket and my EV charger installed (all three free of charge) way before I actually got my car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I had the same except the charger took longer for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

ELM327 wrote: »
    I had the same except the charger took longer for me

How long does it take to charge the leaf 24kwh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    How long does it take to charge the leaf 24kwh?

Depends.

How low is the battery?
    What charge point do you have?
    Does the Leaf have the 3.3 or 6.6 charger option.

It could be anything from 2-3hrs to 12hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »

Or just 20-30 minutes for a decent top up on a fast charger :)

KCross wrote: »
    Depends.

How low is the battery?
    What charge point do you have?
    Does the Leaf have the 3.3 or 6.6 charger option.

Don’t have a leaf as I am checking them out if it was a 6.6 with a low battery in a standard street charger?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Or just 20-30 minutes for a decent top up on a fast charger :)

If you could find one, last time I checked there were 800 public chargers in the country and only 80 fast chargers.

Don’t have a leaf as I am checking them out if it was a 6.6 with a low battery in a standard street charger?

lets say 15% to 100% as you're not going to be arriving with 0%!

Charging at 6.6kW would take that charge session about 3hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's basic maths.

6.6 kW charger will put approx. 6 kW/h into the battery per hour, given roughly 10% for losses.
    So from completely empty to completely full on a 24 kWh battery, you're looking at around 4 hours.

Obviously double that if you've the standard 3.3 kW charger.

And add extra for the 30 kWh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

fael wrote:

What energy efficiency gain can I expect with L24? Currently have four odd tyres and they are C rating at best (probably worse, I don't know the rating).

McGiver wrote: »
    What energy efficiency gain can I expect with L24? Currently have four odd tyres and they are C rating at best (probably worse, I don't know the rating).

Unless they are complete dirt, I'd say 5% at most.

About 3.5%.

Sorry I just spent 20 minutes with a whole essay here, but lost the whole message as there was a URL included which apparently I'm not allowed to do. Wouldn't let me go back to edit the message.

Check out http s://bit .ly/2VP7Wpe (delete the spaces) for the EU website about tyre labels which also includes a calculator to calculate savings for different tyre ratings.
    If you consider changing tyres to improve range also make sure you regularly check tyre pressures, could make a bigger difference than changing tyres.

Difference between G and A is 9% by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just a reminder for EV owners who charge on the cheap overnight rate, dont forget about the time change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

About 3.5%.

Sorry I just spent 20 minutes with a whole essay here, but lost the whole message as there was a URL included which apparently I'm not allowed to do. Wouldn't let me go back to edit the message.

Check out http s://bit .ly/2VP7Wpe (delete the spaces) for the EU website about tyre labels which also includes a calculator to calculate savings for different tyre ratings.
    If you consider changing tyres to improve range also make sure you regularly check tyre pressures, could make a bigger difference than changing tyres.

Difference between G and A is 9% by the way.

Cheers for that, but I suppose the calculator is for ICE? Do you think it can be transposed to BEV as is? Not sure, I'm not an engineer, but the engines/drive trains are different and also it depends on the weight of the car for sure.

Cheers for that, but I suppose the calculator is for ICE? Do you think it can be transposed to BEV as is? Not sure, I'm not an engineer, but the engines/drive trains are different and also it depends on the weight of the car for sure.

It mainly needs to know the fuel for the purpose of cost calculation. As it will give you the original mpg figure and a new one you can deduce what the percentage change is, as the tyre is the only variable in that calculation the others cancel out.

It's also wise to look at the big picture, if the change is 2%, 2.5748% or 3%, it's all the same really. I don't think you would notice the difference between those 3 values in real life.
    Hence I mentioned the need to keep tyre pressures correct, that is likely to be a bigger factor. But if you are due a tyre change anyway, you might as well go for an A/A tyre, as they are not too expensive.

Question: I have a L24 '13 and in the 'My Leaf' app nor the Nissan EV app do I get any daily/monthly statistics, is that only for the newer models? I can only use the charging and climate control features.

• Advertisement

Question: I have a L24 '13 and in the 'My Leaf' app nor the Nissan EV app do I get any daily/monthly statistics, is that only for the newer models? I can only use the charging and climate control features.

I have a 151 L24 and I went into the Nissan EV App and clicked on the 'Bar Chart' Icon at the bottom of the screen. It was blank by default, but if I clicked on a section (I tried 'Yearly Data'), it then updated and gave me statistics for 2019, so that at least is working for me.

Advertisement