Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

unkel wrote: »
    Answer is Guessometer :D

Yeah, I tend to ignore the stated range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Mine has done that for a while, when I turn on the car it says maybe 141km but after a few kms of driving it's already down to 120km.

However, the weird thing is I've noticed for the last couple of mornings that when turned on it says maybe 127km, and I've been thinking maybe the first bar is going to drop off (it's 4.5 years old, 92k km on it). But while that bar hasn't gone yet, the GOM seems to be more accurate, and after 10km of driving it'll show around 115 or so. Basically it's starting lower at 100%, but the first few km are now being accurately measured. Weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah, I tend to ignore the stated range.

Once the range drops off as described, the estimated range, aka the GOM, is useful if you do a lot of battery limit destination driving and you don't have the more accurate app, especially in inclement weather/ unfamiliar/undulating roads.
    The trick is to keep the GOM number bigger than the distance to destination from the sat nav

off topic
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0725/1065121-nissan-results/

Nissan, which said the job cuts will be made globally by 2022, added that it will reduce global production capacity and its product line-up by about 10% by the end of fiscal 2022.

The company had 138,000 employees globally as of March 2018.

It said its first-quarter operating profit plunged 98.5% to 1.6 billion yen ($14.8m) as it continues to struggle in North America, a key market where it has been stung by mounting costs of vehicle discounts to keep up with rivals.

Years of heavy discounting to grow sales has left Nissan with a cheapened brand image and low vehicle resale values, while the costs to offer high discounts have hit its bottom line.

My emphasis and as an owner, my experience :(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another "I'm off on holiday" question.
    Leaf will be parked up for a week.
    Maybe not a long enough period to worry about, but what is best % to leave 24kw battery at if not using it for 1 week+?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Whatever you feel like 20-80%, I left ours at 60 odd when on hols a few years back for 3 weeks and it only dropped a single per cent

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

54.5%, make sure to verify by leafspy.
    In order to get exactly 54.5% make sure to calculate the average standard deviation between leafspy SOC and display SOC. Then apply 1 sigma away and work inwards to get the actual mean and median. Square this number and divide by 2* the cubed root of the mode average of the display SOC - don't forget to apply variance allowing for the SOH figure.

Or just go on holidays and don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Chrome covering on Drivers door handle is lifting off slightly, 152 leaf so prob not covered by warranty, anyone else had this happen? suggestions for fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

2018 leaf nismo, brought over from japan. are they still covered by the 5k VRT grant or is that EU only?

also, is it possible to flash the hardware to English?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Pygmie

Hi all. I bought a 2016 Leaf in April and checked the battery SOH using LeafSpy. It was around the 93/94% mark. I've just checked again this week (so roughly just 4 months later) and it's down to around the 86% mark. My daily mileage isn't very high - around 40km a day, so I don't need to charge every day. I tend to plug it in every 2 or 3 days and leave it to charge overnight (I have a Zappi home charger). Would leaving it overnight to charge be causing the battery degradation? That loss seems excessive for that period of time. I've only had to charge it at a public charge point a handful of times. Any advice is appreciated!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pygmie wrote: »
    Hi all. I bought a 2016 Leaf in April and checked the battery SOH using LeafSpy. It was around the 93/94% mark. I've just checked again this week (so roughly just 4 months later) and it's down to around the 86% mark. My daily mileage isn't very high - around 40km a day, so I don't need to charge every day. I tend to plug it in every 2 or 3 days and leave it to charge overnight (I have a Zappi home charger). Would leaving it overnight to charge be causing the battery degradation? That loss seems excessive for that period of time. I've only had to charge it at a public charge point a handful of times. Any advice is appreciated!

There is a software update that will improve your SOH percentage, that would be my first port of call.
    4NR4C is the latest firmware version AFAIK
    I believe the formula for the adjusted SOH is 57%+(43% X SOH)
    In your case 57%+(43%X 86%) = 94% updated SOH with firmware update

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Very interesting! I will check it out. Thanks!

That seems to be for 30kWh Leafs. I should have said, but mine is a 24Wh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Pygmie wrote: »

Not much you can do, it is what it is.
    The SOH figure is a calculated figure that can go up and down and can do so in drops of several percent. It’s nothing to do with how you are charging it.

It might be worth running it down to the “very low battery” warning and then fully charging it including the few hours of cell balancing at the end and you might get a few percent back but 90% is probably about right for a 3-4yr old Leaf.... it’s not the same for every car though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Well... my 5 years old L24,with 125K Km on board just lost the second bar ,presented me this morning with 10 bars.
    Range,fully charged GOM around 125Km,realistic no more than 100Km on mixed reserved driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't worry too much about it, rolion. If the range is still alright for you, so be it. When did you buy the car? If it was at least a year ago, and you bought well, the car is now probably worth more than you paid for it. Now that's winning in my book :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I see some of the UK community (Youtube) have had awful dealership experiences and frankly, have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is anyone who owns a Leaf entitled to get a firmware upgrade from a dealership? Should it be a free?

I have a 2013 Leaf so just wondering.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is anyone who owns a Leaf entitled to get a firmware upgrade from a dealership? Should it be a free?

I have a 2013 Leaf so just wondering.

I’m not aware of any being required other than the one for the battery readings on the L30.

I don’t think you’ll get any on your 2013 Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

KCross wrote: »
    I’m not aware of any being required other than the one for the battery readings on the L30.

I don’t think you’ll get any on your 2013 Leaf.

Wasn't there one for "grabby" brakes?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Wasn't there one for "grabby" brakes?

Yea, you’re right but I think that was for pre 2013 cars made in Japan?

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    2018 leaf nismo, brought over from japan. are they still covered by the 5k VRT grant or is that EU only?

also, is it possible to flash the hardware to English?

anyone know the answers to these?

cheers.

VRT is free but you'll have to pay import duty. And full 23% VAT not just over the purchase price, but also over the transport costs and transport insurance.

Unless you can get the car extremely cheaply, I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »
    VRT is free but you'll have to pay import duty. And full 23% VAT not just over the purchase price, but also over the transport costs and transport insurance.

Unless you can get the car extremely cheaply, I wouldn't bother.

You also pay the VAT on the Import duty!
    You pay tax on the tax!!

Soarer wrote: »
    You also pay the VAT on the Import duty!
    You pay tax on the tax!!

And you pay import duty on transport, handling and insurance costs, not just on the car itself :p

Tax on the tax on the tax. VRT makes all of this even worse (but there is none on EVs below €35k)

i brought in a toyota chaser years ago so i know whats involved for normal cars, this being an EV i wasnt sure.

also, the nismo edition wasnt for sale outside of japan.

cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Id sooner get the nismo kit and fit it to an Irish or UK leaf, About €2k i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Managed to get my hands on a working dongle,connected and played with.

5 years old Leaf24 with 125K km on board.
    Battery health @ near 80%
    Lost second bar last week.
    What else should i read from the graph ?
    White background is sitting idle.
    Black blackground is while driving.

So,if in 5 years lost 20%,if i want to keep the car another 5 years it will deteriorate at about 60% by then with a range of what,maybe 60ish Km on a full charge !? Just waiting to get the batteries in the house...

488395.jpg

488396.jpg

488397.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

So, I'm looking at tyres for my 2015 L24. Had a chat here about this a couple of months ago, and narrowed it down to two tyres...

Continental EcoContact 6 205/55 R16 91 V A/A/71dB

Nokian eLine2 205/55 R16 94 W XL A/A/68dB

Both of them are around the same price. Any suggestions? I like that the Nokian is quieter (though not by much!) but I don't know if the fact that it's a higher load rating makes any difference. The standard tyres for the L24 are 91 Rating, not 94 Rating. I know you're not meant to put on tyres that are a lower rating, but does using a higher rating make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

jasonb wrote: »
    So, I'm looking at tyres for my 2015 L24. Had a chat here about this a couple of months ago, and narrowed it down to two tyres...

Continental EcoContact 6 205/55 R16 91 V A/A/71dB

Nokian eLine2 205/55 R16 94 W XL A/A/68dB

Both of them are around the same price. Any suggestions? I like that the Nokian is quieter (though not by much!) but I don't know if the fact that it's a higher load rating makes any difference. The standard tyres for the L24 are 91 Rating, not 94 Rating. I know you're not meant to put on tyres that are a lower rating, but does using a higher rating make a difference?
    Would be interested to know too.

But I'm going to put EcoContact 6 tomorrow so the dice has been thrown in my case. I was going after A/A, because my current tyres are all 4 different and C economy rating at best, some even lower. So I hope to be get few % range gain apart from the better grip on wet road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The higher load rated tyres will result a slightly harsher ride quality but tend to have better efficiency, both due to lesser flexibility of the tyre carcass the higher the rating is.

So maybe bit less comfort but better efficiency.

Advertisement