Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

I charge mine to 100% every night. Is this bad? 2014
    Not recommended on a car with no active cooling. Especially in summer.
    Also don't let it sit at 100% for extended time. You should really head off once the car charges.

Even the Leaf manual recommends charging to 80% (read it).

Charging to 100% once a week is needed to charge the 12V battery and to the balance the cells which happens only at full charge.
    In saying this - the status of health has gone from 87.41% on the 5th November to 92.08% today.
    That's because of the cold. All Leafs do that. It will drop to 87% again at 10C or more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

McGiver wrote: »
    Not recommended on a car with no active cooling. Especially in summer.
    Also don't let it sit at 100% for extended time. You should really head off once the car charges.

Even the Leaf manual recommends charging to 80% (read it).

Charging to 100% once a week is needed to charge the 12V battery and to the balance the cells which happens only at full charge.

That's because of the cold. All Leafs do that. It will drop to 87% again at 10C or more.

Right. But the thing is with my Leaf is that it’s a few years old so I need all the battery I can get. I can charge to 80% and all, but then I’m losing out on my already limited range. So in the real world that would be 80% to about 20% so about 60km.

All this charging is done via a 3 pin plug.

I’m guessing there are loads of people that charge it to 100% and don’t even think about it and their battery is fine.

All this charging is done via a 3 pin plug.
    That's the best because it's the slowest so thermal effects are minimal.
    Right. But the thing is with my Leaf is that it’s a few years old so I need all the battery I can get. I can charge to 80% and all, but then I’m losing out on my already limited range. So in the real world that would be 80% to about 20% so about 60km.
    Charge to 90% then. Still better than 100%.
    I’m guessing there are loads of people that charge it to 100% and don’t even think about it and their battery is fine.
    If you avoid letting it sit idle at 100% and especially in the summer, it's OK. The battery still degrades though. Li-ion inherently doesn't like 100% charge.

That's the best because it's the slowest so thermal effects are minimal.

Charge to 90% then. Still better than 100%.

If you avoid letting it sit idle at 100% and especially in the summer, it's OK. The battery still degrades though. Li-ion inherently doesn't like 100% charge.

Thanks. It never sits at 100% for long. An hour or 2
    Max. Most times way less.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Charging to 100% every day because you need the range is fine, tom_tarbucket. Remember 100% isn't really 100%, more like 90%. Perfectly fine to let the car do that all its life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

I charge mine to 100% every night. Is this bad? 2014

In saying this - the status of health has gone from 87.41% on the 5th November to 92.08% today.

The increase in range in soh is because the battery can balance cells once its charged to 100%.

Charge it to 100% if you need it, the later leafs don't have the recommendation or timer facility to charge to 80%

KAGY wrote:
    Charge it to 100% if you need it, the later leafs don't have the recommendation or timer facility to charge to 80%
    Which ones? L40?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Which ones? L40?

Apparently after 2015 based on something I read in another forum

A 100% charge is still consider a high SOC even if it is a few Mv below the max recommended charge for that cell.

The issue is that high SOC introduces strain on the cells over long periods, however charging to 100% when you need the range isn't an issue just leaving it above 80% all day and night for weeks on end.

As battery life and capacity improves it will be much less of an issue , the real problem for now is that range for most of us is low enough already that 10% can be a notable loss, on a Kona/Tesla it will be much less of an issue and the + for these cars is their batteries will be cycles much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

KAGY wrote: »
    Which ones? L40?

L30 onwards removed the "long life" charging option so if you want to stop at 80% you have to manually unplug it.

The fact Nissan removed that feature suggests they know it doesnt matter much over the lifetime of a car as long as you still adhere to the guidelines of not letting it sit at 100% for days on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Seems too cheap tbh. Will be interesting to see what happens with the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

samih wrote: »
    Seems too cheap tbh. Will be interesting to see what happens with the ad.

Could jsut need the cash, ebayer since 2007 with 100% feedback.

I have an iPhone with leafspy.
    Sometimes a number appears beside my leafspy app, the number changes a bit. What does this mean. See attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Usually it would mean something like 'messages ' or 'alerts', but I don't have the app so I'm sure a user will be along soon to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

No, it's been down approx three days now (affecting MyLeaf as well so definitely a server issue).

Also, I notice that the Nissan EV App doesn't work with Android 10.

I've emailed asking about but haven't heard back.

Back working for me this morning :)

NIMAN wrote: »
    Usually it would mean something like 'messages ' or 'alerts', but I don't have the app so I'm sure a user will be along soon to answer.

Yeah. I don’t see any messages or notifications etc. Goes between 62 and 67 and then goes away after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Could jsut need the cash, ebayer since 2007 with 100% feedback.

The ad is gone now without a trace so must have been a scam of some sort.

It has been known for an eBay user's account to be hacked by people, who then sell items on and take a cash sale before vanishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Looking at getting a Nissan leaf and looking for opinions. Was looking at a 2013/2 Tekna/SVE 24kwh with 6.6kw charger 11 bars and 92km on the clock, in good condition, fresh NCT and from a dealer with 1 year warranty (does say 3 in one of their ads but need to confirm that as may be extra) for 11.5k.

I know if went private you could get a bit cheaper but tbh I kind of want to buy from dealer with some sort of warranty as am used to normally only spending a few k on a car.

Just want to check is it reasonable enough price, I'd like to stick with 2013 up for the battery upgrade and like the idea of 6kw charger and am happy to pay bit extra for the high spec. Don't really want to spend to much more either and don't think it would be worth it unless going for 30kwh.

There was another similar for 11k but has 132km on it and 6 month warranty and prefer colour of first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Looking at getting a Nissan leaf and looking for opinions. Was looking at a 2013/2 Tekna/SVE 24kwh with 6.6kw charger 11 bars and 92km on the clock, in good condition, fresh NCT and from a dealer with 1 year warranty (does say 3 in one of their ads but need to confirm that as may be extra) for 11.5k.

I know if went private you could get a bit cheaper but tbh I kind of want to buy from dealer with some sort of warranty as am used to normally only spending a few k on a car.

Just want to check is it reasonable enough price, I'd like to stick with 2013 up for the battery upgrade and like the idea of 6kw charger and am happy to pay bit extra for the high spec. Don't really want to spend to much more either and don't think it would be worth it unless going for 30kwh.

There was another similar for 11k but has 132km on it and 6 month warranty and prefer colour of first.

To give you an idea, I sold my 141 Tekna in January for €11k.
    It had 75k km and also 11 bars. I could have sold it 5 times over with the calls I got. That was a private sale obviously but just to give you an idea on figures.

Can anyone recommend wind deflectors for the leaf?

Just want them for the front.
    Ideally, looking for ones with an easy install and no glueing (if such a thing) etc. Ones that ‘clip’ on.

Edit: would these be ok:

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/wind-deflectors/Nissan/Nissan-Leaf/LEAF-2010-Onwards/products/3400304-9010/front-tinted-dga-wind-deflectors-for-nissan-leaf-2010-onwards-5-door

kceire wrote:
    To give you an idea, I sold my 141 Tekna in January for €11k. It had 75k km and also 11 bars. I could have sold it 5 times over with the calls I got. That was a private sale obviously but just to give you an idea on figures.
    Where did you sell? DoneDeal?

My 151 is up for sale!

I've my Leaf a week now. I'm enjoying driving it as I mostly use it on back windy roads and is great fun to drive.

One thing I dislike about it is that the reversing camera is always filthy and impossible to see out of due to a blurred screen. I've cleaned it off a good few times but it's not long before it's filthy again.
    The back of the car is dirtier than any other part and after looking at the camera I think it's the position that's causing it to get dirty all the time. Anyone else have this problem?

On a side note and nothing to do with the car....I've had 2 instances in the week where I've gone to a public charger only to find that it's a) being "used" by an ICE and b) an ICE has badly parked in their spot resulting in no space for me to park into the electric spot to charge. I hope this isn't a trend!!

Overall I think I'm happy with my purchase....but being honest the jury is still out..... The main reason is the range. I usually have 100km left after my commute when I return in the evening. That somewhat restricts my driving if I've to head to the shop or visit my parents or anything else.
    In hindsight I should have gotten the 6.6 charger to allow for a quick boost when I came home as I would use it most evenings especially when the longer evenings return. I'm charging from a Granny cable ATM and I'm hopeful that the home charger install will allow for a quick boost in evenings to a better extent. I've switched over to a night meter so I hope that these evening boosts don't offset any savings I could have made.

I've set myself 6 months to decide if I keep or get rid.

My 151 is up for sale!

Can you link to your 151?

I have been thinking of changing my 141 Leaf up a few years, and was hoping to get the 30Kw battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can you link to your 151?

I have been thinking of changing my 141 Leaf up a few years, and was hoping to get the 30Kw battery.

A 151 is not a 30 kWh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My 151 is up for sale!

Yes, Donedeal.
    I put it up for sale n late November for 10,500. Loads of calls but I got cold feet and took the ad down. Then decided I deffo wanted to sell in mid January and out it back up for 11k. Again, loads of calls but the first person that could get to me offered the 11k as I told him I was going to the next caller that afternoon. EFT there and then for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

cruizer101 wrote: »

I can't comment on the price here but to give you an indication. I brought in a 2016 30kwh Acenta, 6.6Kw charger and 45km for just north of €12k plus flight, boat etc.

JPA wrote: »
    A 151 is not a 30 kWh.

Didn't say it was.

I asked for a link to their car for sale......and in a different sentence said I was thinking of changing up my 141 to a 30Kw Leaf.;)
    Basically that my own Leaf might be going up for sale.

• Advertisement

I can't comment on the price here but to give you an indication. I brought in a 2016 30kwh Acenta, 6.6Kw charger and 45km for just north of €12k plus flight, boat etc.

That’s a serious bargain. You done well there. Normal price for that in IE is at least 15k I’d say.

Advertisement