Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

TheTorment wrote: »
    I have a 2017 Leaf 30. The warranty is due to expire on the second week in January.
    I've read on this forum about end of warranty checks for i3.
    Does this apply to Leafs too?

Is there a way of getting it a once over to make sure all is good and have work done if needed before the warranty expires?

End of warranty checks for the i3 is the UK. The Irish dealers don’t operate such a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does anyone have a dashcam mount for a l24 that clips on to the Top of the centre console?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Experienced an odd one this morning with my gen 1.5 leaf.
    Walk outside, unplug it and it's making it's funny beeping noise when I press the button to unlock the door. Get in and its flittered and the passenger door a bit ajar. Some rain drops on the inside of the door.
    I didn't drive it yesterday as I was on public transport and my home CCTV only records about a days worth so I reckon it happened yesterday morning, after I went to work basically.
    Anyone else ever encounter this? Possibly the pre heating and then the flashing recharge light on the dash attracting speculative puffers?
    And is there any known vulnerability for the RF car key (I keep the key in the hall stand), or is it a dead cert I must have forgotten to lock the door 2 evenings ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Dardania wrote: »
    Experienced an odd one this morning with my gen 1.5 leaf.
    Walk outside, unplug it and it's making it's funny beeping noise when I press the button to unlock the door. Get in and its flittered and the passenger door a bit ajar. Some rain drops on the inside of the door.
    I didn't drive it yesterday as I was on public transport and my home CCTV only records about a days worth so I reckon it happened yesterday morning, after I went to work basically.
    Anyone else ever encounter this? Possibly the pre heating and then the flashing recharge light on the dash attracting speculative puffers?
    And is there any known vulnerability for the RF car key (I keep the key in the hall stand), or is it a dead cert I must have forgotten to lock the door 2 evenings ago?

I regularly arrive out to find I forgot to lock the car, or hit the unlock button while in the house. So a good chance it’s just that.

Having said that, theft of new Leafs seemed to be rampant a few months back. And yes it is very easy for a thief to boost the key’s signal to allow them to unlock the car, the equipment to do so is cheap as chips and readily available online. Have a look on YouTube for some examples of it happening. Keep your keys in a metal box to block the signal, or accept that it’s better they get the car and don’t try to enter your house :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Soarer wrote: »
    This is my dongle (ooo matron!).

Carista on Amazon

Bluetooth.
    Never had an issue with either Android or iOS.

Absolute Godsend of a yoke.

Got a Carista on this recommendation and it works perfectly. One question though the previous vgate had an on switch and automatically switched off after a period of inactivity. However the Carista has no on switch and appears to stay on permanently. Could this run down the battery after an extended period of being parked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

creedp wrote: »
    Got a Carista on this recommendation and it works perfectly. One question though the previous vgate had an on switch and automatically switched off after a period of inactivity. However the Carista has no on switch and appears to stay on permanently. Could this run down the battery after an extended period of being parked up.

In a typically vague response, yes it could.

I don't know how much it draws when "idling", but I can't imagine it'd be too much...famous last words! :o

If it's not too much of a hardship, plug it out when not in use and the problem goes away!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Pedantic question, I know. Have a 2014 leaf. When charging I open the flap at front of car and plug in the charger etc. Now the thing is I leave the flap fully up in its most open position. Do ye leave it fully open like this or close it down a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Pedantic question, I know. Have a 2014 leaf. When charging I open the flap at front of car and plug it in charger etc. Now the thing is I leave the flap fully up in its most open position. Do ye leave it fully open like this or close it down a bit?

I close it down a bit. Just being 'tidy' I guess, and it maybe covers it a little from rain I guess. But it's mainly tidy really... :)

jasonb wrote: »
    I close it down a bit. Just being 'tidy' I guess, and it maybe covers it a little from rain I guess. But it's mainly tidy really... :)

I was more so thinking from a rain point of view.

Pedantic question, I know. Have a 2014 leaf. When charging I open the flap at front of car and plug in the charger etc. Now the thing is I leave the flap fully up in its most open position. Do ye leave it fully open like this or close it down a bit?

Actually, looking at weather here. What’s the best from a frost point of view?

Have not encountered a frosty morning yet. Not sure if the charger gets ‘stuck’ in car and presume you can’t really throw hot water over it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In 3 years of charging I’ve never had any charging cable/port frost/snow issue of any description

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    In 3 years of charging I’ve never had any charging cable/port frost/snow issue of any description

Is that cause the frost/snow never really happened due to where you park car (sheltered etc) or it did indeed frost over but caused no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

Actually, looking at weather here. What’s the best from a frost point of view?

Have not encountered a frosty morning yet. Not sure if the charger gets ‘stuck’ in car and presume you can’t really throw hot water over it.

I live at a bit of altitude and get some bad enough frosts. Never had an issue so I don't think I'd worry too much!

My charging flap was frozen one morning a couple of years ago.

NIMAN wrote: »
    My charging flap was frozen one morning a couple of years ago.

How did you get around that, presume you can’t use water in car too much gets in the charging ports etc?

How did you get around that, presume you can’t use water in car too much gets in the charging ports etc?

Honestly can't remember:rolleyes:

Think I might have put something into the gap along the edges, or perhaps some water?

Considering the amount of rain the Leaf gets, a little bit of water wouldn't be an issue I think.

I hadn't a cable plugged in at the time, I was trying to open it iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Leafs can't charge at ionity, also the pricing is being discussed at length in the ionity thread.

Reduced rates for the investor car manufacturers under their own schemes + other card schemes look like being cheaper than going to ionity direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I think the author's opinion is apparent in that article. Very one sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

This article is not correct, LEAFs cannot use Ionity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

There was quite a bit of discussion a year or so ago on tyres for e v's and for a Leaf in particular, but I do not recall seeing anything recently.

I am once again in need of new tyres, and am having the same problem finding suitable tyres as I had a while ago - and wonder if there is anything new, or anyone who has particularly good or bad experiences?

My car came new with Dunlop Enasave 215/50R17, and the two tyres on back are still in good condition - these seem to have been great tyres - but impossible to find at any sort of reasonable price - in Ireland or in UK.

After two tyres were destroyed by a broken bottle I purchased what I thought was the closest available thing, 2 Goodyear Efficent Grip, and they have been on the front - they were not cheap, but now very badly worn, and I will not buy those again. I just checked the major online tyre selling sites today, Black Circle etc etc, and NONE of them seem to have any specific category of tyre for an EV, amazing in 2020.

Anyway - any recommendations? or brands/types to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

There was quite a bit of discussion a year or so ago on tyres for e v's and for a Leaf in particular, but I do not recall seeing anything recently.

I am once again in need of new tyres, and am having the same problem finding suitable tyres as I had a while ago - and wonder if there is anything new, or anyone who has particularly good or bad experiences?

My car came new with Dunlop Enasave 215/50R17, and the two tyres on back are still in good condition - these seem to have been great tyres - but impossible to find at any sort of reasonable price - in Ireland or in UK.

After two tyres were destroyed by a broken bottle I purchased what I thought was the closest available thing, 2 Goodyear Efficent Grip, and they have been on the front - they were not cheap, but now very badly worn, and I will not buy those again. I just checked the major online tyre selling sites today, Black Circle etc etc, and NONE of them seem to have any specific category of tyre for an EV, amazing in 2020.

Anyway - any recommendations? or brands/types to avoid?

I got 55k km on my Dunlops. Got Avon after and less than 30k km later I’m on 4mm and will have to replace in a months time...
    the local tyre place advised to go for Goodrich next time

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

peposhi wrote: »
    I got 55k km on my Dunlops. Got Avon after and less than 30k km later I’m on 4mm and will have to replace in a months time...
    the local tyre place advised to go for Goodrich next time

The two remaining Dunlop enasave tyres that were on my Nissan when I bought it new are still just about ok, and I have 48 k km on the clock, so this agrees with your 55k km for yours. The Goodyear I bought were total rubbish.

I have actually found a place in Dublin that says they can get me the Dunlop Enasave from Germany - their prices for those, and for similar tyres for an EV - are here - what do people think about these?

Michelin Primacy 4 - €165 per tyre,
    Michelin Primacy 3 - €149,
    Dunlop Enasave - €144,
    Bridgestone Turanza T001 & Pirelli Cinturato P7 - €115 per tyre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just went for the same tyres the car came with originally as there was so much choice with various fora saying this and that

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Peter mx5

Hello again as we are getting the hang of driving the leaf could someone tell us what is best charging wise to preserve battery life.we have set timer to long life mode 80%.is charging to 100% bad and how low do you dare let it go before charging again to avoid range anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Peter mx5 wrote: »
    Hello again as we are getting the hang of driving the leaf could someone tell us what is best charging wise to preserve battery life.we have set timer to long life mode 80%.is charging to 100% bad and how low do you dare let it go before charging again to avoid range anxiety.

Nothing wrong with charging every night. I never bothered with the 80% thing either.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Leaving the battery at 100% (or near) for a prolonged period of time is to be avoided. A day, fine, multiple days, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

This morning I noticed that the car was charged but wasnt pre heated but was in a rush and took no further notice. This evening before I plugged in I checked the climate control settings and found then turned off so I turned them back on again. Then I thought I'd better check the charging timer and again found the timer turned off.

In the just shy of 2 years I've had the car I've never seen this happen. Has anybody else come across this as I'm concerned that I'll find it uncharged in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Monday to Saturday = 80% (that covers almost every day driving needs)
    Sunday = 100%. (just in case...)
    I love how the sunday morning charging cycle does a nice, well, fine cells balancing.

That may explain why my battery have "increased" capacity since august last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Peter mx5

That's seems like a good plan thanks
    rolion wrote: »
    Monday to Saturday = 80% (that covers almost every day driving needs)
    Sunday = 100%. (just in case...)
    I love how the sunday morning charging cycle does a nice, well, fine cells balancing.

That may explain why my battery have "increased" capacity since august last.

Advertisement