Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

creedp wrote: »
    This morning I noticed that the car was charged but wasnt pre heated but was in a rush and took no further notice. This evening before I plugged in I checked the climate control settings and found then turned off so I turned them back on again. Then I thought I'd better check the charging timer and again found the timer turned off.

In the just shy of 2 years I've had the car I've never seen this happen. Has anybody else come across this as I'm concerned that I'll find it uncharged in the morning.

Y2k?!

Haven't seen anything like that in my tenure. Is maybe the button beside the charge door release capable of making that change?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Dardania wrote: »
    Y2k?!

Haven't seen anything like that in my tenure. Is maybe the button beside the charge door release capable of making that change?

I'm wondering if pressing that charge timer override button for an extended period turns off both timers? When topping up during the day I hit that button to commence a charge and maybe not releasing the button within a certain period of time permanently turns off the timers. Will have a scan through the manual to see if this is mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Are 2013/2014/2015 Leafs still holding their value?

I know of a few people on here from a few months back who bought a leaf as above and sold on 2/3 years later - and made a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Are 2013/2014/2015 Leafs still holding their value?

I know of a few people on here from a few months back who bought a leaf as above and sold on 2/3 years later - and made a profit.

I'm about to try and sell my 2014, looking at CarZone (always fairly inflated to be fair!) it looks like I'll get my money back on what I paid for the car a little under two years ago. To me it looks like the prices have now stabilised and are not a million miles from what you'd expect for a similar petrol/diesel from a depreciation point of view.

The days of making a profit have passed for now I think, it was a once-off occurence as EVs went from very niche and an oddity, to much more coverage in the media and the stronger green agenda of the last 12-24 months etc.

Now what I think could be very interesting is that if UK/EU don't do a deal on secondhand car imports before 01/01/2021, then duty, VAT and VRT would all be levied on imported cars from that date forward. And realistically no other country in Europe gives a hoot about importing secondhand cars from the UK, it's just us, and the motor industry and government would both benefit greatly if the flow of cars from the UK was stopped. The secondhand market would lose 100,000 cars a year. Hard to predict what will happen, but taking a stab in the dark I'd imagine the secondhand car market could take a serious surge whenever it becomes clear that duty/VAT/VRT will be required on imports.

It should be interesting to see how many cars are imported this year, could be a huge number between people trying to get in before the window closes and potentially secondhand dealers buying in lots of stock and waiting for the bump in prices. Taking bets on 150k imports?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Used Leaf's also benefit from Nissan raising all their new Leaf prices last Summer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

I'm finding it difficult to sell a leaf 24, 142 tekna.
    Very little interest, despite low enough mileage and 93% battery health. Have it priced around 11k so maybe just s bit high, even though it's among the lower end for 6.6 charger teknas. Ad expired off Done deal with only one call. I'll advertise it again shortly and see how it goes.
    Market defo seems slower than the last time I sold one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

oinkely wrote: »
    Very little interest, despite low enough mileage and 93% battery health. Have it priced around 11k so maybe just s bit high, even though it's among the lower end for 6.6 charger teknas. Ad expired off Done deal with only one call. I'll advertise it again shortly and see how it goes.

A few possible reasons... There’re so many L24s out there atm for sale, not many people would realise the benefit of having a 6.6kw charger, the “high” mileage, the lump sum to be handed through a private sale, no warranty... while the car is perfect it’s harder than a year ago... I got €12050 trade-in price for my L24 same as yours with less than 50k on it... I guess €10000 will be a price point you might be able to move it on...

It's a shame. Tekna and 6.6kw - the only people who truly would appreciate that are those who have driven a leaf or are familiar with evs. But most of those people are upgrading from leafs....

For context I got an accenta 151 low mileage, good SOH and 3.3kw onboard charger for €10k private sale a few months ago.

It's a shame. Tekna and 6.6kw - the only people who truly would appreciate that are those who have driven a leaf or are familiar with evs. But most of those people are upgrading from leafs....

For context I got an accenta 151 low mileage, good SOH and 3.3kw onboard charger for €10k private sale a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Leafowner

Hi all, I recently bought a 24 leaf, on an 80% charge I am getting about 60km with heat on. Battery soh is 90%. Is that normal for winter time or should I be getting higher? My commute is about 8km on motorway at 100km/h, 8km at 50km/h and 8km at less than 30km/h. Total time for the journey is about an hour though sometimes up to an hour and a half if traffic is bad. Total round trip commute is about 50km. The car can do that but doesn’t have a huge amount to spare near the end and sometimes I have to turn off the heat if traffic is going very slow to ensure I make it home. If it’s normal would I be best charging the car to 90% in winter or will this cause significantly increased degradation?

Also can anyone suggest a home charger to install in Dublin and which installer to go with? I have solar panels for water but not electricity. I might convert our attic into another room some day so don’t think there would be any space for more solar panels once windows are put in, so probably won’t go for a zappi. I heard I should get a 32 amp charger but does anyone have any recommendations as to which one I should go for?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Leafowner wrote: »
    Hi all, I recently bought a 24 leaf, on an 80% charge I am getting about 60km with heat on. Battery soh is 90%. Is that normal for winter time or should I be getting higher? My commute is about 8km on motorway at 100km/h, 8km at 50km/h and 8km at less than 30km/h. Total time for the journey is about an hour though sometimes up to an hour and a half if traffic is bad. Total round trip commute is about 50km. The car can do that but doesn’t have a huge amount to spare near the end and sometimes I have to turn off the heat if traffic is going very slow to ensure I make it home. If it’s normal would I be best charging the car to 90% in winter or will this cause significantly increased degradation?

Also can anyone suggest a home charger to install in Dublin and which installer to go with? I have solar panels for water but not electricity. I might convert our attic into another room some day so don’t think there would be any space for more solar panels once windows are put in, so probably won’t go for a zappi. I heard I should get a 32 amp charger but does anyone have any recommendations as to which one I should go for?

Thanks in advance.

My first question is are you only charging it to 80%? If so, why not 100% to give you more wriggle room? What driving mode are you using (D, ECO, B)? I've a L24 and I usually drive in ECO and even in the winter I'd expect to be around 100k for 100% charge. The motorway driving will use the most, but 16k round trip at 100kph isn't that much motorway driving really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Thanks in advance.

In the winter I charge to 100% most days during the winter. Newer Nissans don't even have the 80% option. My understanding is that its the fast charges > 80% that degrade the battery most. In fact its advisable to let it charge up to 100% occasionally to allow the cells to balance.

In terms of your range, even at 20kW/100km you shoukd be getting 10km per 10%.
    In summer I average 14-15, winter with heating at 18° 17-20, best ever was 12.5kw/100 for a 20km crawl to the next charge point!

Try reducing the temperature of the cabin, & preheat when you get your charge point

Edit: heating while you're sitting in traffic is probably what's dropping your range most. You could be using 2-4 kW even if you're not moving - e.g. 1/2 hr at 2kW would be 5% off your range.

jasonb wrote: »
    My first question is are you only charging it to 80%? If so, why not 100% to give you more wriggle room? What driving mode are you using (D, ECO, B)? I've a L24 and I usually drive in ECO and even in the winter I'd expect to be around 100k for 100% charge. The motorway driving will use the most, but 16k round trip at 100kph isn't that much motorway driving really!

I’m only charging to 80% as I was always told that is best for the battery to prevent degradation. I know the say to charge to 100 occasionally for cell balancing, but I thought in general the done thing was to only charge to 80?

The driving mode I use is D and eco. I put the car in neutral when I am going to be stopped for a while.

KAGY wrote: »
    In the winter I charge to 100% most days during the winter. Newer Nissans don't even have the 80% option. My understanding is that its the fast charges > 80% that degrade the battery most. In fact its advisable to let it charge up to 100% occasionally to allow the cells to balance.

In terms of your range, even at 20kW/100km you shoukd be getting 10km per 10%.
    In summer I average 14-15, winter with heating at 18° 17-20, best ever was 12.5kw/100 for a 20km crawl to the next charge point!

Try reducing the temperature of the cabin, & preheat when you get your charge point

Edit: heating while you're sitting in traffic is probably what's dropping your range most. You could be using 2-4 kW even if you're not moving - e.g. 1/2 hr at 2kW would be 5% off your range.

I have the temp in the cabin at about 20.5 degrees. I have been preheating for 5 mins before I start the journey as I don’t have a home charger yet so just been using the granny cable to charge once I get home from work and take it out at night, so don’t want to preheat for too long to take away from the range.

How long should I be preheating once I have my home charger installed and therefore I have it plugged in at night? I heard one person say they preheat for 45 mins so the car is heated through and the battery temp is higher. Should I be doing that or is that just a waste to be doing it that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I have the temp in the cabin at about 20.5 degrees. I have been preheating for 5 mins before I start the journey as I don’t have a home charger yet so just been using the granny cable to charge once I get home from work and take it out at night, so don’t want to preheat for too long to take away from the range.

How long should I be preheating once I have my home charger installed and therefore I have it plugged in at night? I heard one person say they preheat for 45 mins so the car is heated through and the battery temp is higher. Should I be doing that or is that just a waste to be doing it that long?

Charge it to 100 all the time. It'll make essentially no difference. In terms of pre heating 5 mins should be sufficient. I've never bothered heating 45 minutes (this would be ~2kWh and a waste).

AhHaor wrote: »
    Charge it to 100 all the time. It'll make essentially no difference. In terms of pre heating 5 mins should be sufficient. I've never bothered heating 45 minutes (this would be ~2kWh and a waste).

Ok thanks that’s good to know. Do you always charge to 100? If so can I ask what your battery soh is and how many kms you have on it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Never heard of anyone preheating for 45minutes, that's madness.
    Charge to 100% over Winter when you need that cushion, you can take it back a bit in better weather if you like.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Ok thanks that’s good to know. Do you always charge to 100? If so can I ask what your battery soh is and how many kms you have on it?

My input here:
    Have a 2014 leaf. Have it a few months. Since I got it, I have essentially charged it to 100% every single night (via a 3 pin granny cable only, don’t have proper charger)

When I bought it, battery was at 87.41%. Battery is now at 92.16% !!! Its to do with weather also I hear. Relatively Cold weather seems to improve battery health.

My car only has 30,000 KM on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Set departure time for pre heating, how long that takes is decided by the car. Assuming car is connected to home charge point.

JPA wrote: »
    Set departure time for pre heating, how long that takes is decided by the car. Assuming car is connected to home charge point.

Ok thanks, haven’t got round to looking into any of the settings yet so good to know it can be done that way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Ok thanks, haven’t got round to looking into any of the settings yet so good to know it can be done that way

My routine:

plug in charger
    start charging at midnight
    charged Monday to Saturday only at 80%, Sunday morning 100%.
    pre heating setup for departure at 6:30,temp 21"
    heating starts at 5ish
    recharge / topup back to 80% from 5:30 until 6ish.

Are you not supposed to charge to 100%?

Ive been charging mine yo 100% each and every night since I got it in the end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

TheTorment wrote: »
    Are you not supposed to charge to 100%?

Ive been charging mine yo 100% each and every night since I got it in the end of November.

The battery experts reckon charging to 80% is optimum for extending battery life.

I think the fact that Nissan have a setting to only charge to 80% probably backs up the belief.

I have my 2014 for 3 years now I think and have charged to 100% most nights. I think most people like the idea of leaving the house each morning fully charged, just in case.

My input here:
    Have a 2014 leaf. Have it a few months. Since I got it, I have essentially charged it to 100% every single night (via a 3 pin granny cable only, don’t have proper charger)

When I bought it, battery was at 87.41%. Battery is now at 92.16% !!! Its to do with weather also I hear. Relatively Cold weather seems to improve battery health.

My car only has 30,000 KM on it.

Checked just now and battery gone up to 93.48%.
    Over 6% increase since I bought it :)

I know will probably go down again in summer. But not bad all the same, be worse if it was going the other way ;)

rolion wrote: »
    My routine:

plug in charger
    start charging at midnight
    charged Monday to Saturday only at 80%, Sunday morning 100%.
    pre heating setup for departure at 6:30,temp 21"
    heating starts at 5ish
    recharge / topup back to 80% from 5:30 until 6ish.

Hi. You preheat for an hour and a half ? Is this too much?

My Nissan Connect app no longer allows me log in.

Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Anyone any suggestions?

Highly likely it's their server. It'll come back

AhHaor wrote: »
    Highly likely it's their server. It'll come back

Its been like that all week. I miss having my car heated in the morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anyone any suggestions?

It’s working for me so it’s not down.

What response does the app give when you press login?

Can you login to the website to confirm your account and password is still active?

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    It’s working for me so it’s not down.

What response does the app give when you press login?

Can you login to the website to confirm your account and password is still active?

"The service cannot be reached. Please try again or contact Nissan."

I can log into the website no problem

I aldo cant log into the My Leaf app

Advertisement