Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

When I bought my current car #1 on the requirements was AC to defog Windows in the winter. I wouldn't buy a car without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

From some reason, I've never really fully figured out my L24's climate controls, and whether I always need heat AND AC to properly dismist etc. I think I get confused 'cos you have a temperature control and a Heat button. Does the Temp control do nothing at all if Heat is off? Do you need Heat to be on for the 'upper' half of the Temp control to work and AC to be on for the lower half to work, if you know what I mean?

Another stupid question, if I set the Climate Control Timer for a 8am departure, what time does it actually come on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Leafowner

Anyone know of any Alexa enabled skills that will work for a 2015 Nissan Leaf. I found the leafstar one which has good reviews but only works in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

2014 leaf.

I find in this weather that selecting ‘Auto’ on the climate control is not very good - does not seem to know what to do and windows just remain fogged up etc. Seems to blast air at feet or whatever when I in fact need it on windscreen. Maybe I have the wrong idea of “auto” but I think it’s supposed to adapt to the conditions in the car and do the right thing etc.

I just press the front defroster button, let it do its thing for a about minute, then I put fan speed down to 1 and heat at 20 and this keeps windows clear. I notice when I press this that “heat” and “A/C” come on. I need the heat but do I need the A/C also.

How do ye do it in the winter period?

I think the reason for AC is to dehumidify the air being recirc'd. So yes, it's helpful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Dardania wrote: »
    I think the reason for AC is to dehumidify the air being recirc'd. So yes, it's helpful

Thanks, any of ye find that AUTO climate control is not worth a damn in this weather where you need to demist etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Thanks, any of ye find that AUTO climate control is not worth a damn in this weather where you need to demist etc

You need to turn up the temperature.

JPA wrote: »
    You need to turn up the temperature.

But I thought that’s the whole point of Auto.......that it’s supposed to control the temperature without intervention etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

But I thought that’s the whole point of Auto.......that it’s supposed to control the temperature without intervention etc.

No. If you set it to 20 it will get to 20, if you set it to 22 etc. The fan speed is what will automatically adjust.

JPA wrote: »
    No. If you set it to 20 it will get to 20, if you set it to 22 etc. The fan speed is what will automatically adjust.

Ok. Do I also have to say where I want the air to be pointed at? Feet, windscreen etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

jasonb wrote: »
    Another stupid question, if I set the Climate Control Timer for a 8am departure, what time does it actually come on at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

2014 leaf.

I find in this weather that selecting ‘Auto’ on the climate control is not very good - does not seem to know what to do and windows just remain fogged up etc. Seems to blast air at feet or whatever when in fact, it is needed on the windscreen. Maybe I have the wrong idea of “auto” but I think it’s supposed to adapt to the conditions in the car and do the right thing etc.

I just press the front defroster button, let it do its thing for a about minute, then I put fan speed down to 1 and heat at 20 and this keeps windows clear. I notice when I press this that “heat” and “A/C” come on. I need the heat but do I need the A/C also.

How do ye do it in the winter period?

Auto in the Leaf is terrible, imo. I never use it.

Auto in every other car works as you'd expect but I think the issue in the Leaf is that auto uses the internal temp of the cabin to decide what it is going to do rather than the external temp and so it can make the wrong decisions and leave you with a fogged up windows.

I dont use auto at all. I just leave AC on and direct the air myself. Never have an issue with fogging then.

Leafowner wrote: »
    Anyone know of any Alexa enabled skills that will work for a 2015 Nissan Leaf. I found the leafstar one which has good reviews but only works in the UK.

Yes,
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109195660

I havent used it recently so I cant say for sure that it still works but I think it does. I'll try it out tomorrow and see. I think it might have been updated recently as the login method of the Nissan API changed and this skill had to change as well... which I havent done.

KCross wrote: »
    Auto in the Leaf is terrible, imo. I never use it.

Auto in every other car works as you'd expect but I think the issue in the Leaf is that auto uses the internal temp of the cabin to decide what it is going to do rather than the external temp and so it can make the wrong decisions and leave you with a fogged up windows.

I dont use auto at all. I just leave AC on and direct the air myself. Never have an issue with fogging then.

Ah good. so not just me :)
    I just find it crap, does not seem to know what to do. Tested it one day for ages to see if it would clear the windows and it didnt. so like you, Im just not going to use it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Another Irish review of the Leaf 62KwH
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWFZKAdS8eM

All in all, we know the main barrier to take-up is the price vis-a-vis the e-Niro (if you can find one) and the e-Soul (if you can like that look). A Kona compares but it is tooooo small.

Any further reviews from you 62KwH drivers welcome. At some future point will seek to swap to larger battery car on SH market.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just watched that Leaf review with interest. Around 8 minutes in he casually mentions that there is no spare wheel and then moves on to the size of the boot.
    What's the story with not having a spare wheel? Surely that's an essential piece of kit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Having a spare wheel is a bit 1981. When was the last time you got stuck somewhere with a flat tyre? Even if you did, most people wouldn't know how to chane a wheel and in many situation even if you did, it would be pretty dangerous by the side of the road. And pretty much every comp insurance policy comes with tow away service, that will bring you and your car home or to a garage / tyre centre for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Just watched that Leaf review with interest. Around 8 minutes in he casually mentions that there is no spare wheel and then moves on to the size of the boot.
    What's the story with not having a spare wheel? Surely that's an essential piece of kit.....

It is an option in UK market but my L40 SV came with one here. Will check next time I pass the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

It is an option in UK market but my L40 SV came with one here. Will check next time I pass the dealer.

Yeah, it's standard on the Irish models.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

unkel wrote: »
    Having a spare wheel is a bit 1981. When was the last time you got stuck somewhere with a flat tyre? Even if you did, most people wouldn't know how to chane a wheel and in many situation even if you did, it would be pretty dangerous by the side of the road. And pretty much every comp insurance policy comes with tow away service, that will bring you and your car home or to a garage / tyre centre for free.

Seriously?
    Funny enough I got my full licence in 1981 and I've never had a car since without a spare. The last time I got a puncture was two months ago and the time before that was during last summer. On both occasions it was at night, a long way from home and took me all of five minutes to change the wheel. No waiting around for someone to rescue me.
    I can't believe there are drivers out there who don't know how to change one.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

A lot of new cars don't come with a spare/spacesaver

They come with a pump and tyre gunk to keep you going.

Most people never even have to think about changing a wheel. And I wouldn't be surprised if a majority don't know how.

I've been driving 15+ years and I've only had a handful of occasions where I've had a flat and most of them was a slow puncture where I was able to pump it and drive to a tyre place/home

That being said, I'll prob get a spacesaver for the eniro when I get it!

KCross wrote: »
    The major service includes a brake fluid change which is to be done every 2 yrs I think. That means you just need the minor service now which is just a visual inspection. You should get it cheaper than €140 but you might have to travel to get it cheaper which might not be worth it. Ring around.

The minor service is a scam really but you need it to maintain your warranty and goodwill with Nissan in case something goes wrong.

Any mechanic should be able to do it. Its a purely mechanical thing, nothing at all EV specific about it.

Service done today for 149

Should I have gotten a state of battery health?

According to the printout nothing needs doing....but the printout didn't look like it was Leaf specific. Things like engine oil level, timing belt, alternator belt etc. all ticked as if checked.

Is this the norm??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Never paid more than €78 for Leaf service and that's at main Nissan dealer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Never paid more than €78 for Leaf service and that's at main Nissan dealer

Which Dealer if you don’t mind me asking? The one I got done last year was around €140 or so if I remember correctly.

Stupid question... Does the climate timer only work if the car is plugged in? If the car isn’t plugged in, is my only way of preheating the car is to use the phone app?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Which Dealer if you don’t mind me asking? The one I got done last year was around €140 or so if I remember correctly.

Stupid question... Does the climate timer only work if the car is plugged in? If the car isn’t plugged in, is my only way of preheating the car is to use the phone app?

Thanks...

Nope you can set one of two timers (L40 model) and can also tick if started with only plugged in or not plugged in. The app works on whether plugged in or not as standard.

Also if temp is below 10C the heated steering comes on.
    Little tip if parking in cold whether (say at work) click on the heated seat on low and when the remote heating is turned on by app before you leave the seat will also be nice and warm - very handy especially if you have leather seats.

Thanks, I've a 151 L24, so I don't know if it's different or not. I don't think there's a 'Plugged in or not plugged in' option in mine.

But I'll suss it out some more and see...

Does the climate timer only work if the car is plugged in? If the car isn’t plugged in, is my only way of preheating the car is to use the phone app?

For a 151 Leaf, Yes

Thanks KCross, saves me from trying lots of different ways of doing it, trying to get it to work!

Just remember that turning on climate control via the app when the car is not plugged in will only give a 15min preheat so it may not be up to temp but it should be good enough.

Yep, that's fine. Unfortunately I was hoping to use it while out running, it's cold in the evenings these days and getting back to a warm car would be nice! But I don't have my phone on me when I run, so if the timer isn't an option if the car's not plugged in, then I have to put up with a cold car. Sure it'll be getting warmer soon anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Yep, that's fine. Unfortunately I was hoping to use it while out running, it's cold in the evenings these days and getting back to a warm car would be nice! But I don't have my phone on me when I run, so if the timer isn't an option if the car's not plugged in, then I have to put up with a cold car. Sure it'll be getting warmer soon anyhow...

The app itself should have a timer so you could set the time to start prior to you leaving for run and it will start at that time - set it for 15 mins before you return from run.

Note
    (on the app its time to start for 15 mins - on the car timer its the time to be at the required temperature)

• Advertisement

You're right, I'd forgotten the App had a Timer feature too. Nice one, I'll try that the next time...

Advertisement