Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP to Win 10 - Upgrade or Clean Install

Options
  • 31-07-2015 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I'd like to goto Win 10 from XP. No free upgrade, sadly.

Would it make sense to buy this ( Euro 30.00) and then get a free Upgrade to Win 10 ?

http://www.adverts.ie/operating-systems/genuine-copy-of-windows-7-professional/6221338

It looks like a cheaper option than buying an OEM version of 10. Anybody know of a reason why this might
    not make sense ?

And could I bypass the Win7 install and just go straight to win10 install by quoting the Win7 licence key ?
    I know the KEY is 'consumed' by the Upgrade install and cannot be used again.

Or do you have to install win 7 and then Upgrade to Win 10.
    Seems like a double install with all the possible things that could go wrong !

A clean install seems like a preferred option.

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anchises wrote: »
    And could I bypass the Win7 install and just go straight to win10 install by quoting the Win7 licence key ?
    I know the KEY is 'consumed' by the Upgrade install and cannot be used again.

Or do you have to install win 7 and then Upgrade to Win 10.
    Seems like a double install with all the possible things that could go wrong !

You have to upgrade from Win7 so you need 7 installed. It's to do with being logged in on the MS account too. Won't work if you try input a Win7 key into a clean install of 10.

However, once you've upgraded and the key is converted - you can do a clean install.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Thanks for that :)
    However, once you've upgraded and the key is converted - you can do a clean install.

Do you mean that after upgrading , you again format the drive and reinstall the system again ?
    With the converted key ? Does the Upgrade Install generate the converted key ?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anchises wrote: »
    Thanks for that :)

Do you mean that after upgrading , you again format the drive and reinstall the system again ?
    With the converted key ? Does the Upgrade Install generate the converted key ?

A.

Yeah, once the upgrade to Win10 is complete - you now have a lifetime Win 10 key. So you're free to format and reinstall Win 10 using that key forever.

It doesn't generate it as much as convert it. It just has to be done using the upgrade "app".

Good :)

Thanks for that info.

A.

Ok :)

I've upgraded my activated Win 7 Pro.

And Windows 10 is now showing as activated.

But no Key is displayed ?

There is a button 'change product key' . I'm not sure what that's for , but I suspect it's to allow a user *enter* his Win 10 key, rather then generate a win 10 key.

My concern is how might I reinstall win 10 later - In my experience , I've reinstalled op system so often in the past that it's unlikely I will not have to reinstall this win 10 at some time again....

And if i do where do i get the key ? Surely i would not have to re-install win7 first and then upgrade again ?

BTW It took hours to get to this stage :(

A

• Advertisement

Ok ! Got it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/07/30/windows-10-updating-reinstalling-and-activation-guide-essential-advice-to-avoid-problems/

All explained here in this above article.

I downloaded an app called ProduKey and it reveals the key that is now embedded in Win 10. It does not display in the activation window.

A.

Advertisement