Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop - good value?

Options
  • 31-07-2015 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

do you find gamestop offers good value when it comes to trade ins especially? I think it's so-so, i haven't traded there in a long time but i don't remember ever really feeling like i got a decent amount of cash out of them. there are even memes that take the piss out of this whole notion.

http://www.playstationgang.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Gamestop-Be-Like.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

No, I find CEX and HMV to be much better. Especially since CEX tell you what they offer via their website so you don't go in and end up disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

As I fall further into the the "too many games, not enough time" scenario that a professional salary usually creates, I find myself more and more disappointed that I was ever trading in games. I have bought back almost everything I've ever played so unless I have duplicates, I never trade in games. Gamestop are probably the most expensive place to buy games so this means they only reason I ever go in is when I'm dragged to the shopping and need a way to occupy myself for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

RedXIV wrote: »
    As I fall further into the the "too many games, not enough time"

I thought when we got older we'd just magically have enough money for all the games we want and have all the time in the world to play them because we would be adults....why didn't anyone tell me the truth! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I didn't even realise HMV did trade in - and they give better values than gamestop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I use Gamestop as a place to browse when I just wandering around the local shopping centre.

There can sometimes have decent hardware bundles but apart from that I wouldn't look to buy games from them.

Was in there last weekend, some standard edition PS4 games priced at €74.99!! :eek:

• Advertisement

CEX seems the best value, but they don't seem to carry new games (i.e. I wouldn't be able to get Fallout 4 in there on release?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, CEX are strictly 2nd hand only, if you went in there with a sealed copy of a new game they'd make you open it before trading it in even.

They offer the best trade in prices by far though I find.

Smyths are also pretty great.

No, CEX are strictly 2nd hand only, if you went in there with a sealed copy of a new game they'd make you open it before trading it in even.

They offer the best trade in prices by far though I find.
    Slightly off topic, but do you know if CEX will trade in consoles with all cables but no box? I have a PS3 and 360 that I'd like to shift but don't feel like the hassle of adverts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Slightly off topic, but do you know if CEX will trade in consoles with all cables but no box? I have a PS3 and 360 that I'd like to shift but don't feel like the hassle of adverts ;)

Yep, they'll take them no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

CEX are good but I prefer to buy new.

I think they do. Or at least the have some consoles with a (Boxed) or (Unboxed) on the price tag.

I believe that they'll give you less price for the unboxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

€69.99 for the J-Stars PS4 beat em up and €59.99 for the Vita version does not good value make, they've(Gamestop) been gougers on pricing and trading games since GAME closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Games_top

thers no buzz in gamestop anymore,too much prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They're doing 50% extra on trade ins right now, got some rubbish games I might take in and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the thing is you don't know what the original trade-in value is, so 50% extra could still be short of what others offer.
    I prefer CeX because they're upfront with trade-in values, and you can get decent cash value if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It is, and its very annoying, but I've got that MGS special edition PS4 pre ordered there, so its dead handy to have that to help pay it off.

Course Game in the UK tells you how much your stuff is worth these days, so it can't be that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

cloud493 wrote: »
    They're doing 50% extra on trade ins right now, got some rubbish games I might take in and see what the story is.

That offer is over was only on Tuesday and Wednesday so its long over at this stage. I used it myself and got i think 56 euros for Batman AC for the xbox one.

Advertisement