Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

adox wrote: »
    I`m skeptical at this stage.

Make or break for the season(and possibly Van Gaals career)

3 games in with no losses is make or break??

And a man who managed holland, barca and munich is make or break for his career?? really?? ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can't help but believe De Gea will be gone by the end of the window. Still don't know where that leaves us in terms of goal keepers. Is Lindegaard and Johnstone our number 2 and 3?

I have a feeling our transfer window will close with a lot of rumours of a big star name but no one coming in. I think it's just so hard to get the superstar players away from the best clubs.

I think we will play decent football this year with the squad we have now and we will be challenging for every trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

And a man who managed holland, barca and munich is make or break for his career?? really?? ffs

I`m talking about the end of the season.

i dont think the squad is good enough to challenge for the title as is and with no additions, it may cost Van Gaal at the end of the season, especially with him only staying one year beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what has 3 games got to do with this?

people are looking at the medium to long term and worried that the current squad isnt good enough to cater for the demands of the season once the inevitable injuries set in. Mcnair, Wilson, Adnan, Blackett are players who will get alot of game time later in the season unless we bring in a couple of more players and thats a risk that we should not take.

and its probably LVGS last job. while people will always acknowledge his achievements in his early career, its ultimately what happens at United that will define him now as if was to get the sack (which he wont i am sure), its what remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Well Paul Merson can shove his prediction for Sunday game somewhere unpleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Honestly can't see us signing anyone. Especially with Lvg saying Fellaini will be utilised up front, I think that puts an end to a striker search. Midfield is fine, and can't see any realistic defenders that we could get in at such a late stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thebigredone

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Honestly can't see us signing anyone. Especially with Lvg saying Fellaini will be utilised up front, I think that puts an end to a striker search. Midfield is fine, and can't see any realistic defenders that we could get in at such a late stage.

I think I agree. I'd rather a centre forward signing of higher quality but don't see where we're going to get one at this stage of the windows. If there is a bid for Felipe Anderson, where would he fit in the team? I haven't seen too much of him but from what I have seen is he likes to play in wide areas. Does that mean Mata moves inside from the right, or does he miss out because Herrera's impressed from a more advanced central role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Tough game away to Swansea this weekend. They're a very tidy team who seem to start well every season and fade off towards the end. Gomis and Ayew have a nice chemistry about them, and I would gladly take a 0-0 final score. Sadly I don't think LvG will play Herrera as he'll cement that midfield shut to stop Swansea's attacks. It'll be interesting to see Darmian/Shaw against Montero.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

jamesbere wrote: »
    Well Paul Merson can shove his prediction for Sunday game somewhere unpleasant

Id rather listen to Dunphy then Merson,another one of the "the boy is a top top player" brigade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

jayo26 wrote: »
    Well i wasnt believing it but more less pointing how ridiculous things had got but yehh its mad how the rumour changes bit by bit before it comes out the other side.

On another note i really really hate the first international break of the season its like your only getting back into the swing of things and then there is a stupid two week break but on the plus side at least we have European football to look forward to the week we get back.

Hate the international break usually but I'm off to see Netherlands vs Iceland on Thursday and I get to see the beautiful Daley Blind in the flesh so s'all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Totally off topic and frivolous but...we really do have the ugliest looking sponsor logo.

From todays Adidas event;

Ashley Young with a shirt too big for him again

CNb46kOW8AAPmNn.jpg:large

seen that earlier, all on private jets, footballers really do have the lives.

Regarding the shirt logo, I doubt anyone really cares whats on the shirt as long as their is big money behind it which there is.

this fellow was the first to break the "united not interested in Pedro anymore" story.

hopefully its just a smokescreen by the club to just divert attention but would anybody be surprised it this turns out to be true?
    Mike Keegan ‏@MikeKeegan_DM 13m13 minutes ago
    Noises from OT remain the same. Departures of Victor Valdes and Jonny Evans could be only business before Sep 1. More @MailSport soon #mufc

will be an extremely underwhelming window if no more good signings come in, after such a promising start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I would be very surprised if no one else came in. I've expected at least one more signing before the end of the window, and continue to expect one more signing.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if no one else came in. I've expected at least one more signing before the end of the window, and continue to expect one more signing.

you normally are one of the core members of the "happy with the squad" brigade.

if we dont sign anybody, how will you rate the current situation and the summer window overall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

That guy just said Valdes and Evans could be the only business done. Hardly breaking any story there is he?

At this stage I expect us only to be on the look out for a superstar signing. My money is on us getting a Real Madrid player as part of a De Gea compromise. We will want Bale but most likely settle for a youth team player or goal keeper at the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

GSPfan wrote: »
    That guy just said Valdes and Evans could be the only business done. Hardly breaking any story there is he?

At this stage I expect us only to be on the look out for a superstar signing. My money is on us getting a Real Madrid player as part of a De Gea compromise. We will want Bale but most likely settle for a youth team player or goal keeper at the last minute.

If we get a RM player it'll be the GK Navas they have as they've signed Casilla
    We might get that youth team striker??

We'll never get Isco or Bale as people like to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I live in hope, that we were waiting for CL qualification in full to go for more signings. As I say I live in hope :)

I am 100% confident of a signing before the window closes.

Expect to see close to £200m spent by all premier league teams between now and Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The gaps in the squad are fairly obvious. RW, CB, ST. Also GK, if De Gea goes.

The issues with team selection are fairly clear imho, Mata should be at #10, not RW. Herrera needs to play more. De Gea situation needs to be resolved.

Not being part of the "everything is sh*t and everyone is incompetent/clueless and I'm going to whine about it every day" brigade doesn't mean that the rest of us are perfectly happy with everything.

It just so happens that we spend the majority of time on this thread batting away the utter non-sense, rather than having a reasonable debate about the real gaps.

bangkok wrote: »
    I am 100% confident of a signing before the window closes.

Expect to see close to £200m spent by all premier league teams between now and Tuesday

That's a good shout could be close to 300m if De Bruyne gets signed 59m, Chelsea and us get the €100m signings that are being discussed. That'd bring it to 200m on 3 players and I still think theres plenty to come from Arsenal, spurs Liverpool etc, and the lower half clubs could all spend 1m on players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

what has 3 games got to do with this?

people are looking at the medium to long term and worried that the current squad isnt good enough to cater for the demands of the season once the inevitable injuries set in. Mcnair, Wilson, Adnan, Blackett are players who will get alot of game time later in the season unless we bring in a couple of more players and thats a risk that we should not take.

and its probably LVGS last job. while people will always acknowledge his achievements in his early career, its ultimately what happens at United that will define him now as if was to get the sack (which he wont i am sure), its what remember.

Lol you really talk some ****e about football 2 of them players haven't even made the bench this season, only one has played in a few games but u proclaim they will play lots of games with no evidence and ignoring that 3 of them are 3rd in line in their positions.

Adox leave the historonics about being make or break in a carreer out I do my best to avoid tabloid nonsense that sounds like its written by a 10 year old without reading it here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

if we dont sign anybody, how will you rate the current situation and the summer window overall?

I'm not "happy with the squad" in terms of thinking there's not problems or sticking my head in the sand. I've been quite vocal about the fact I don't think Rooney is capable of leading us to a PL trophy, and would adore seeing him replaced. I think we need a creative winger as well; as much as I love Mata, he's not the man we need to break down the parked buses we face week in, week out. We need, as LVG himself said, a Neymar or a Hazard level player on the wings creating chances.

That said, the window would be more good than bad (operating on a spectrum, rather than a strict "That was amazing" vs "What a farce and embarrassment" dichotomy). Our midfield is defensively sound and has potential attacking wise, if Herrera gets game time. We've gone from not having a midfield to having a very, very good one. Our defence is looking solid; ideally, I'd like a top level CB in, but Blind has been very, very good in the first few games, and my worries stem from a lack of seeing him in that position. So I'm willing to trust LVG there. Our full backs are sorted for years, with Shaw and Darmian.

The signings of Darmian, Memphis and Schenderlin were brilliant, and I can't stress how thrilled I've been with the trio so far. Schwin is the leader we needed.

So squad wise, I think there's probably still a few holes, but the work we've done so far has been very good. Not excellent, not perfect. Again, until Rooney isn't our leading man, we won't win the title, but I think we've got a squad more than capable of challenging for the title. If we don't, then LVG's head will roll, rightly so, and any weaknesses in this summer window will be focused on strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think we're finished, maybe a few more out... Overall window - Good!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

v3ttel wrote: »
    The gaps in the squad are fairly obvious. RW, CB, ST. Also GK, if De Gea goes.

The issues with team selection are fairly clear imho, Mata should be at #10, not RW. Herrera needs to play more. De Gea situation needs to be resolved.

I still think the extra attacker, a player to basically replace Januzaj in is the key position for the first team is all United have messed up on if no recruit arrives.

Blind has filled the defender gap. Rooney and Hernandez with further back up by versatile players is enough with only one forward spot.

The extra attacker would fix many of the problems like the RW issue.

Van Gaal doesn't want a bloated first team squad, he would prefer to utilise the adaptable players to fill in for injuries or develop a young player like Blackett. Having experienced players who want to play but are not featuring can be bad for the squad so I support his thinking there.

Understand the Mata point but if United had another player of his class he would be more if a threatening player off the right as he would have someone to link up with.

brinty wrote: »
    That's a good shout could be close to 300m if De Bruyne gets signed 59m, Chelsea and us get the €100m signings that are being discussed. That'd bring it to 200m on 3 players and I still think theres plenty to come from Arsenal, spurs Liverpool etc, and the lower half clubs could all spend 1m on players.

yea will actually probably closer to £300m. Spurs just spent £22m today on Son Heung-min

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

There has been that much smoke screens up around Old Trafford this summer the hole in the Ozone has got bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Adox leave the historonics about being make or break in a carreer I do my best to avoid tabloid nonsense that sounds like its written by a 10 year old without reading it here

Eh no I wont. Its hardly histrionics. I`m speculating that without more signings Utd wont challenge for the title and that could cost Van Gaal his job at the end of the season, with only one year left. Hardly histrionics.

Tuff **** if you dont agree. No need for the snarky bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

ericzeking wrote: »
    But all those teams where there is more freedom of expression as you say also have solid foundations, top keepers, defenders, good core players, good shape, they mostly dominate the ball.... Van Gaal has started from a very low ebb with us and at this stage the team is almost completely changed from the last fully functioning unit we had (like 3 years ago-if one considers Fergies last team to be fully functioning!!).

I think in the near future we will see our attacking players put more and more of the more attractive play together. I'd expect that.

Sorry to take so long to reply.

I wouldn't argue with the idea that the attacking play will pick up if Van Gaal can get everything the way he likes it. The laboured attacking play we've mostly seen so far is not what Van Gaal is aiming for. What I disagree with is the idea that Van Gaal gives his players as much freedom as most top managers. He's a very controlling manager, who keeps a very tight leash on most of his players, only letting two or three attacking players the freedom to go off the script. He still does that even when he has everything he wants in the team.

A separate point is that at this stage - over a year in the job and loads of players brought in - he should have those solid foundations you're talking about. He inherited a strong squad and was given loads of money to spend. There's a reasonable chance that he'll get it all sorted soon, but he is definitely behind where he should be at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Blackett wont get "alot of football" for our reserves, never mind the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lol you really talk some ****e about football 2 of them players haven't even made the bench this season, only one has played in a few games but u proclaim they will play lots of games with no evidence and ignoring that 3 of them are 3rd in line in their positions.

Adox leave the historonics about being make or break in a carreer out I do my best to avoid tabloid nonsense that sounds like its written by a 10 year old without reading it here
    Eh no I wont. Its hardly histrionics. I`m speculating that without more signings Utd wont challenge for the title and that could cost Van Gaal his job at the end of the season, with only one year left. Hardly histrionics.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Saying this year is make or break in his carrer, is absolute nonsense and should be called out as such.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Solid contribution as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think we're finished, maybe a few more out... Overall window - Good!

Overall window - Bad, imo.

Sorted out central midfield. Arguable issue at centre back, big issue at GK and big issues in attack, can't believe United have left themselves in this situation. If there are no further signings, the squad simply isn't good enough for where we should be aiming; and the fact our net spend would be so low would indicate penny pinching, an inability to get deals done or poor transfer work in general. Missing out on Pedro would be a huge blow if Woodward/LVG aren't able to sign a suitable replacement target.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I stil think we are done for this window. Nothing in the last week or so makes me change my mind. Looks like we will get to January and reassess our position.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I stil think we are done for this window. Nothing in the last week or so makes me change my mind. Looks like we will get to January and reassess our position.

Woohhoooooo

We're signing someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I think thats it in terms of players coming in. Had hopes set on Pedro. Would have been ideal player to have and still cant believe they made a balls of that. Pay the release fee and get it done. Simple as.

Its hard to know what will happen with DDG, he has been frozen out by LVG, i cant see him returning to first team squad after window closes. So let him sit in reserves for a year? Seems a bit harsh to the lad who was unbelievable for the team last few years. If he wants to return to his home, you cant blame him or deny him that. I do think Madrid will offer some amount before tuesday, so more than likely utd will accept and he will go.

Anything done by now will look like a panic buy. Unless its a world class player but its very unlikely. Its an age since depay was announced. They acted quick because PSG were about to swoop in...pity they didnt see that with pedro.

Arsenal and ourselves will both make a signing on deadline day or close to it. Didn't arsenal sign Sanchez, Ozil and Arteta on deadline day and we signed Falcao, fellaini last min deals as well, I expect to see the same again this year

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Arsenal and ourselves will both make a signing on deadline day or close to it. Didn't arsenal sign Sanchez, Ozil and Arteta on deadline day and we signed Falcao, fellaini last min deals as well, I expect to see the same again this year

Sanchez was signed on the 10th of July.

Do people really think the Pedro deal collapsed over a couple of million euro?

To me anyway its obvious the player had doubts about LVG. Obviously the club aren't going to relay that as the reason officially so the money angle is pushed but looking at our dealings over the last 2 years I 100% don't believe we weren't prepared to pay an additional 2million

• Advertisement

Overall window - Bad, imo.

Sorted out central midfield. Arguable issue at centre back, big issue at GK and big issues in attack, can't believe United have left themselves in this situation. If there are no further signings, the squad simply isn't good enough for where we should be aiming; and the fact our net spend would be so low would indicate penny pinching, an inability to get deals done or poor transfer work in general. Missing out on Pedro would be a huge blow if Woodward/LVG aren't able to sign a suitable replacement target.

I wouldn't agree that the central midfield is sorted either.

Carrick and Schneiderlin are too similar imo to be a very good pairing; there's a strong chance Schweinsteiger won't be fit enough to be an ever present and Van Gaal probably doesn't trust Herrera to play that deep. So even though a good few players have been brought in at this stage I still don't see a strong pair being established.

It's a real pity Herrera was so off the pace defensively last night, that's not going to convince the manager to give him more opportunities in CM. Imo he's often a little hot-headed when playing there, but not so bad as to mean he shouldn't play the position. But last night he was a lot more so than usual, probably just rustiness.

hopefully Herrera plays the no10 role this weekend instead of Januzaj, we look so much better with him in the team, such a classy player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

hopefully Fellaini plays the no10 role this weekend instead of Januzaj, we look so much better with him in the team, such a classy player

FYP :p

I would play Schwein, Fellaini and Herrera in a 3 man midfield tbh. Schneiderlin maybe in for Schweinsteiger but think Schweinsteiger brings a lot to the table that Carrick and Schneiderlin don't.

From the guardian article linked a few pages back:
    “The Ajax No10,” Henry Kormelink and Tjeu Seeverens wrote in The Coaching Philosophies of Louis van Gaal and the Ajax Coaches, “… has to set an example by pursuing his opponent”. Van Gaal used Dennis Bergkamp in the role and then Rob Alflen but his ideal was always the industrious Jari Litmanen. “When Ajax lose possession,” Kormelink and Seeverens continued, “he immediately carried out his defensive tasks, and when Ajax are in possession, he chooses the right moment to appear alongside the centre-forward as the second striker.”

This might possibly explain why Van Gaal doesn't play Mata at 10. Not that Januzaj is at all notable for his workrate, but maybe he's just a stopgap until Fellaini gets back or a new signing comes in.

Edit: link to full article

Pro. F wrote: »

This might possibly explain why Van Gaal doesn't play Mata at 10. Not that Januzaj is at all notable for his workrate, but maybe he's just a stopgap until Fellaini gets back or a new signing comes in.

when you see what other clubs have at no10, fellaini playing there would be a major step back for us. A good weapon to bring off the bench but not start and play games at no10, although I would play him there instead of Januzaj. I think the no10 role for Januzaj has come to quick and he doesn't have enough experience to play that role effectively

I said it here the other day we're near certain never to see him play that role under LVG. Shame really given the defensive cover we have midfield wise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Wouldn't surprise me if Fellaini started at 10 vs Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Transfer windows are all about hindsight. You can look at this transfer window and say it's class or crap but it's only by January or even later when you can evaluate the players and how they have adjusted to the team/tactics/league. If we're second by January it has been a brilliant window and if we're fourth...."I told you we needed more/x player/".

Last years window was arguably the biggest and best ever when we were in August. That feeling quickly evaporated.

The players that have arrived so far look very good.

Darmian: Looks an absolute star and partnered with Shaw on the opposite flank makes United's wingback pairing look like one of the best in Europe.

Schneiderlin: Pretty much coming off of where he was last year. Doing a very good job busting up possession and has a 'real presence' in the middle (whatever that means).

Romero: This situation is a mess but the player himself, while I had serious reservations over him, has looked pretty solid so far but he hasn't really been tested.

Bastian: The king of Germany. He's looked good so far while not being fully match fit. His fitness is a concern so he's one we can't say too much about until later.

Depay: He has flashes of true world class and other times he looks frazzled. I think he's trying to do too much atm and just needs time to calm and adjust. I think we have a serious player on our hands here.

We were all clamoring for a CB but with Chris 'Beckenbauer' Smalling doing his thing, the need has seemed to have contracted. If Smalling stays fit and continues his excellence, a CB was not needed. If he goes down, we were idiots for not signing a CB. I still think we need a striker, and I think we missed a trick on not signing Benteke.

TLDR; You can judge a transfer window in August but it won't be until later that we'll truly know how well it was.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if Fellaini started at 10 vs Swansea.

"he is not match fit, I have said this many, many times before, but you the media will not listen, its a prochessss and you need to be match fit" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If lvg plays herrera at number 10 he is by far the best option we have at the club he makes up the lack of pace deeper in midfield an he has the creativity and ability to play one twos and change position with the wingers.

Then as our second choice number 10 we have a big lump of a battering ram that we can lump balls into from the wings and he can head them down or take them othe chest and also has the first touch to bring passes under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I'd say Evans and De Gea will leave and unless we stump up for Mané I doubt we'll see anyone else join.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement