Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

You will never get 2 good years from a 31/32 year old winger. Not to mention the fact that there's plenty of rumours about how he was able to keep his pace and avoid injury so long as his age, considering his initial very injury prone start.

Would be a complete waste. Winger is probably the position most prone to ageing.

beckham_giggs_1349742c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

bangkok wrote: »
    beckham_giggs_1349742c.jpg

Giggs didn't rely near as much on pace as Robben does. Probably should have put that in fair enough. Beckham same story although I don't think he was anywhere near Giggs or Robben's level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

bangkok wrote: »
    Boss to #MUTV on Herrera: "I had a theoretical scheme in my head that he could play at no.10 and he did it well against Brugge

He really is a spoofer :P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Giggs didn't rely near as much on pace as Robben does. Probably should have put that in fair enough. Beckham same story although I don't think he was anywhere near Giggs or Robben's level.

beckham was class. when he was playing with United fergie used to always say Beckham and Keane were the first 2 names he put on the teamsheet. I would also rate him better than Giggs but then again 2 completely different players. Serious midfield back then of Becks, Keane, Scholes, Giggs

Press conference...

Adnan out for Swansea match through injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I do think Madrid will stump up the cash in the end before the window closes, or close to what Utd are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't like see player get injured but might be blessing long run

Adnan is injured and wont be playing against Swansea apparently. Herrera time!

Pleeeeese play Herrera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Romeo; not as a starter but can't be faulted yet

Darmien; Certain starter, class so far

Shneiderlin; Certain starter, looks solid

Bastien; Certain starter, unspectacular start but maybe fitness is an issue here

Depay; Certain starter, flashes of class

How would that not be viewed as identifying and buying players for key areas where we struggled last year. I'd love to see another striker bought but we've purchased 4/5 certain starters so whatever happens we're in a far better place than last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Romeo; not as a starter but can't be faulted yet

Darmien; Certain starter, class so far

Shneiderlin; Certain starter, looks solid

Bastien; Certain starter, unspectacular start but maybe fitness is an issue here

Depay; Certain starter, flashes of class

How would that not be viewed as identifying and buying players for key areas where we struggled last year. I'd love to see another striker bought but we've purchased 4/5 certain starters so whatever happens we're in a far better place than last year
    I'm very happy with the players we have brought in, but having lost RVP, Di Maria, Falcao from the attacking options last season I feel our attack is a lot weaker on paper than last season, and I am disappointed that it may stay that way.

We arguably needed a striker before we sold RVP, and we certainly need one now imo. A right winger should be brought in too, unless LVG is thinking of play Pereira there, and actually gives him a shot there - in which case I'd be happy to see him give a youth player a (proper) chance.

• Advertisement

Anyway seeing as someone posted their favourite 11

1) VDS
    2) Gary Neville
    3) Kevin Moran
    4) Paul Mcgrath
    5) Denis Irwin
    6) Roy Keane
    7) Paul Scholes
    8) Bryan Robson
    9) Ole
    10) Cantona
    11) Giggs

Honourable mention to Mark Robins who without his goal in FA cup I've no doubt that Fergie wouldn't have lasted past 3rd rd of the FA cup against Notts Forest in 89. Hard to believe Fergie was that close to being sacked all those years ago

We arguably needed a striker before we sold RVP, and we certainly need one now imo. A right winger should be brought in too, unless LVG is thinking of play Pereira there, and actually gives him a shot there - in which case I'd be happy to see him give a youth player a (proper) chance.

A RW is more important imo, its not like Rooney has been missing chances, chance creation is our biggest problem going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Schmeichel
    Neville
    Stam
    Vidic
    Evra
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Keane
    Beckham
    VanNistelrooy
    Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm very happy with the players we have brought in, but having lost RVP, Di Maria, Falcao from the attacking options last season I feel our attack is a lot weaker on paper than last season, and I am disappointed that it may stay that way.

Someone mentioned to you the other day Mitch that with Chico back and Depay brought in we are only really down 1 player in attack. You have to agree with that. It kinda looks like you don't want to acknowledge that but it is the fact.

In saying that I think everyone here is begging for an extra Striker/Winger type player so if that does happen before the window closes you should be perfectly happy because we have replaced all the 3 players you mentioned?

Id love lets say Griezmann to be signed. Ticks all the boxes we want. I think we are fairly stocked then.

I take your point and as I've said I'd be happier with another striker but cannot believe that buying near enough half a team of starting players is being viewed as a failure in the market somehow in some people's eyes here.

We are a far more solid outfit albeit it's only early days than last year. CM have been key but I would say we are looking incredibly boring

There seems to be a lack of strikers in world football compared to say 20 years ago. Is there anyone available that would fit in with the way LVG wants to play ? I'm not sure at this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Schmeichel
    Neville
    Stam
    Vidic
    Evra
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Keane
    Beckham
    VanNistelrooy
    Rooney

I cant see us signing any of them before deadline day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Guilty pleasure listing favourite teams.

GK - Van Der Sar
    LB - Irwin
    DF - Vidic
    DF - Ferdinand
    RB - Evra
    LW - Giggs
    MD - Keane
    MD - Scholes
    RW - Beckham
    FD - Rooney
    FD - Cantona

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We are signing Griezmann :P

The Daily Express did a news article saying United are unlikely to sign him, and they are always wrong...

beno619 wrote: »
    A RW is more important imo, its not like Rooney has been missing chances, chance creation is our biggest problem going forward.

but rooney is fecking famous for bouts of doing nothing infront of goal. I don't trust chico to step up when Rooney is in one of those bouts. Competition, or a parter, for Rooney would be great.

Anyone else think Hernandez may be gone this window too?

He looked totally out of sorts the other night when he came on, nearly looked miserable. Just looked all wrong.

Maybe reading too much into it but my first thought was he must be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

adox wrote: »

He looked totally out of sorts the other night when he came on, nearly looked miserable. Just looked all wrong.

My thought on that LVG/Giggs look thing is that Hernandez future is definitely up for debate amongst them.

I'm gonna guess Van Gaal wants rid but Giggs is advising him to hold onto him...

Evans to have a medical at West Brom this evening surfacing on Twitter.

Oh and Sky now reporting fee agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

GSPfan wrote: »
    Someone mentioned to you the other day Mitch that with Chico back and Depay brought in we are only really down 1 player in attack. You have to agree with that. It kinda looks like you don't want to acknowledge that but it is the fact.

In saying that I think everyone here is begging for an extra Striker/Winger type player so if that does happen before the window closes you should be perfectly happy because we have replaced all the 3 players you mentioned?

Id love lets say Griezmann to be signed. Ticks all the boxes we want. I think we are fairly stocked then.

He was also giving out last summer that Falcao was an unessacary signing as we already had Rooney and RVP even though we played 2 up front last season. Now we play 1 up front and he's giving out that we didn't replace him.

Some people will always look for something to give out about. It's like the male version of soaps for a lot of people.

GSPfan wrote: »

No, I don't.

We got rid of Welbeck and Chico last summer, bringing in Falcao for attack.

We have now lost Falcao and RVP, and only brought back Chico (Who LVG DIDN'T WANT LAST SEASON, and who LVG scoffed at when he was mentioned as a possibility to return after his goal vs. At. Madrid last season).

So, since last summer we are down in numbers, at least, in the forward line. And quite frankly, I can't see how Chico is an adequate replacement either.

We needed to add to the attacking options we had from last season (remember, we were fairly fecking poor in attack) so bringing in Depay was a start, but losing ADM was a step back - so in terms of adding to the attack, which IMO we needed to do, we haven't done it. As you have stated yourself, we are actually a player down. I reckon RVP would have scored more goals for us this season than Chico will.

People can state it as fact all they want, and say i'm an idiot or whatever, but it won't change my opinion that this summer (so far) will have opposition less threatened by our attacking options than last season.

Yes, ADM underperformed, but I reckon he could have turned it round if he had tried (and United had kept faith with him) and I reckon RVP could have done well for us this season too - I'll accept signing Falcao would have been insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

IrishIrish wrote: »
    He was also giving out last summer that Falcao was an unessacary signing as we already had Rooney and RVP even though we played 2 up front last season. Now we play 1 up front and he's giving out that we didn't replace him.

Some people will always look for something to give out about. It's like the male version of soaps for a lot of people.

I thought that was wrestling :p

Unless we get a top class striker in, we can't afford to lose yet another forward, it would be insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There has been a few reports today in france that we rejected an enquiry from OM for Hernandez, saying LVG wants to keep him

but rooney is fecking famous for bouts of doing nothing infront of goal. I don't trust chico to step up when Rooney is in one of those bouts. Competition, or a parter, for Rooney would be great.

I think if were creating chances, Rooney or Chica will put them away. I also think we have Goals in Mata, Memphis and Herrera.

With the exception of Europe we just have creating enough scoring opportunities so far this season. Rooney has been poor but its not like he's been missing chances left, right and centre.

Evans to have a medical at West Brom this evening surfacing on Twitter.

Oh and Sky now reporting fee agreed.

I'd have Evans ahead of McNair and Blackett.

Another questionable outgoing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Evans is made of glass so I wouldn't be questioning it at all.

Wouldn't surprised if he's not happy.

Wouldn't read to much into his performance the other night either. I think he'll be important if he stays and won't be allowed to leave unless someone is brought in.

I think if were creating chances, Rooney or Chica will put them away. I also think we have Goals in Mata, Memphis and Herrera.

With the exception of Europe we just have creating enough scoring opportunities so far this season. Rooney has been poor but its not like he's been missing chances left, right and centre.

But he has a history of doing just that, for games at a time. Rooney and his goal droughts, followed by spurts of near everything he hits being a goal, are common. I don't trust Rooney to be a consistent goal threat every game and I certainly don't trust Hernandez to step up during those inevitable droughts.

I think we are currently taking a big gamble up front.

If we play with one striker and a midfielder at 10, it is less of a gamble, but if we play with a second striker at 10 - as LVG has stated is his desire this season - we simply don't have the depth or quality to do so, and not signing a striker to suit the formation LVG has stated he wants to play is poor from United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Just in from work , Goal.com linking Utd to Robben, ffs, where next ??

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Evans is made of glass so I wouldn't be questioning it at all.
    so we sell Smalling and Jones too? Just as much made of glass as evans.

I figured Evans would leave this summer, but thought we'd bring in a senior CB to replace him, rather than nobody at all.

Hopefully Blind will continue to impress and be a sound option amongst a senior 4 but much like Romero I don't feel he has been tested that much so far. I worry about Smallings fitness and finding a suitable long term partner for him among Rojo, Jones and Blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Maybe he doesn't want to be 4th or 5th choice and won't give 100% or feel happy as a result. Maybe his fitness has gone against him.

Same with RVP. Call it questionable all you want, if the player is under performing, not first choice and wants out, do you keep them?

Would an unhappy out of form sulky Evans (he may not be that bad, just as an example) be better as a 5th choice over McNair?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just in from work , Goal.com linking Utd to Robben, ffs, where next ??

Still time for a Ronaldo link or two :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

I'd have Tom Cleverley ahead of the one of the kids from the U16's. Was that a questionable outgoing too?

Evans is never going to play and is getting in to his late 20's. It obviously makes sense to let him go especially with blinds start to this season. It doesn't matter he is better than McNair and Blackett at this moment in time. They have time on their side and will be much happier to be back ups. I don't think either of them will make it at United but there is no need to get rid of them at the moment.

Taibi
    Spector
    Blanc
    Prunier
    Miller
    Kleberson
    Veron
    Djemba djemba
    Oberton
    Belion
    Bebe

Seen as your all doing your best united teams under fergie ill do my worst just to be different.

I went with 352 formation because i couldnt pick just two midfielders so spector may adapt to been a rcb so tough sh1t.

Ohh and i still didnt have room for dong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

We have Blind, Smalling, Jones and Rojo I doubt Evans would want to hang around being 5th choice at best. Having two youngsters as your 5 and 6 choice CBs is common enough.

We also have Carricktoo we are pretty well covered there

Or what Trilla said :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

jayo26 wrote: »
    Taibi
    Spector
    Blanc
    Prunier
    Miller
    Kleberson
    Veron
    Djemba djemba
    Oberton
    Belion
    Bebe
    Maybe my memory is fecked, but I wouldn't have Blanc anywhere near a worst United 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Laurent Blanc in a worst United XI, flipping hell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

so we sell Smalling and Jones too? Just as much made of glass as evans.

I figured Evans would leave this summer, but thought we'd bring in a senior CB to replace him, rather than nobody at all.

Hopefully Blind will continue to impress and be a sound option amongst a senior 4 but much like Romero I don't feel he has been tested that much so far. I worry about Smallings fitness and finding a suitable long term partner for him among Rojo, Jones and Blind.
    I can say everyone is pretty much made of glass at Carrington. But Evans is not good enough for the level at United and making way for young talent like McNair is fine by me.

I agree Blind hasn't been tested against top opposition so time will tell. He doesn't have the height of Smalling but he has intelligence which is an important trait for a center back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Or what Trilla said :D

Thanks babes x

Jokes aside, some people comment on departures like Evans, Di Maria or Rvp as if they're playing championship manager. They're humans that sulk, get sick\injured, make mistakes, want new opportunities in life or fall out of form\favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I don't expect much of this Van Gaal team, only that it will re-establish the club as a force in England and qualify for the CL next year.

At which point Giggs will take over and hopefully deliver the kind of football we all want to see Utd play, and win trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I don't expect much of this Van Gaal team, only that it will re-establish the club as a force in England and qualify for the CL next year.

At which point Giggs will take over and hopefully deliver the kind of football we all want to see Utd play, and win trophies.

McNair good footballer but I don't think he'll be an viable option at CB for us, id say he'll revert to midfield or RB.

Havnt seen anything from Blackett to convince me he'll make it, that point has been backed up by lads here who watch the U-21.

Fair enough if Evans choose to leave, but I'd still prefer him over the kids and on firm over Rojo.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Laurent Blanc in a worst United XI, flipping hell..

Excelent player but by time we got him he was half the player he had some shocking games for us and i coudnt think of anyone else to thow in.

Who would you have there instead of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

McNair good footballer but I don't think he'll be an viable option at CB for us, is say hell recent to midfield or RB.

Havnt seen anything from Blackett to convince me he'll make it, that point has been backed up by lads here who watch the U-21.

Fair enough if Evans choose to leave, but I'd still prefer him over the kids and on firm over Rojo.

i'd say this has a lot to do with the spitting incident i could be wrong but seems like something LvG would disapprove and lead to him getting rid. also the act ruled him out for an important run of games

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Trilla wrote: »
    Maybe he doesn't want to be 4th or 5th choice and won't give 100% or feel happy as a result.

It always amazes me how so many people seem to completely disregard this; Evans is quite clearly behind at least Smalling and Blind, as well as probably Rojo and Jones. If a player isn't happy playing 5th or 6th fiddle, but feel they can move to a smaller team, on a lower wage, and get proper playing time...I admire that, tbh, and there's not much the club can do either, other than facilitate the transfer for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

United might actually make a profit in this transfer window. Weird.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement