Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

brinty wrote: »
    Well said Mitch

He was like a boss in the last 30 on Saturday
    Pointing where he wanted the ball, demanding passes and where he'd play it too, Spurs couldn't get a kick into him.

really???? jaysis game must have looked differently on TV as we looked like we lost control of the game as soon as Carrick went off.

lets not forget, Spurs completely dominated the last 15-20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I said in a he summer schweinsteiger would be a mistake if the only cm signing. Schneiderlin coming in too makes schweinsteiger a fantastic addition, imo. His form, sharpness and fitness will improve in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

bangkok wrote: »
    did you just make that up? A quick search suggests he missed/didn't play in 43 league games over the last 4 seasons

Winston also forgot to include cl and cup games, he has played on average 36 games a season, (36,45,36 and 28) so he not that crocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I said in a he summer schweinsteiger would be a mistake if the only cm signing. Schneiderlin coming in too makes schweinsteiger a fantastic addition, imo. His form, sharpness and fitness will improve in time.

Pretty much what I thought too.

Plus, like you said already his presence alone is hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

really???? jaysis game must have looked differently on TV as we looked like we lost control of the game as soon as Carrick went off.

lets not forget, Spurs completely dominated the last 15-20 mins.

That's cos they played the ball down Valencia's side and panic spread outward from there.
    Schweini was always looking for the ball giving an option providing an out to team mates in trouble..
    Maybe that was my view of it and other people have differing opinions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, Valencia was the big issue at the end of the game, not Schwi. Everything, every single ball from Spurs, was coming down the right flank all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

bangkok wrote: »
    did you just make that up? A quick search suggests he missed/didn't play in 43 league games over the last 4 seasons
    Since 2010:

10/11: 31 starts, 1 substitute appearance. 2739 minutes. Two games missed.
    11/12: 18 starts, 4 substitute appearances, 1732 minutes. Twelve games missed
    12/13: 27 starts, 1 substitute appearances, 2367 minutes. Six games missed.
    13/14: 22 starts, 1 substitute appearance, 1841 minutes. Eleven games missed.
    14/15: 15 starts, 5 substitute appearances, 1362 minutes. Fourteen games missed.

So that's a total of forty five game missed in five seasons. Appearances in decline over the last two seasons. Hamstring and ankle trouble prominent. I'll be checking the figures for myself in future (and the lad who I thought knew what he was talking about is decidedly off the list) but that's still not the greatest picture. I just don't see him adapting to the league in general. I wonder what people are expecting of Schweinsteiger too. He's not a German version of Vidal. He's a Carrick-alike. Better on the ball and better leadership qualities, with Carrick being slightly better defensively. Given how Van Gaal seems to be wringing our players out with his physical preperation work and training, will Schweinsteiger hold up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Since 2010:

10/11: 31 starts, 1 substitute appearance. 2739 minutes. Two games missed.
    11/12: 18 starts, 4 substitute appearances, 1732 minutes. Twelve games missed
    12/13: 27 starts, 1 substitute appearances, 2367 minutes. Six games missed.
    13/14: 22 starts, 1 substitute appearance, 1841 minutes. Eleven games missed.
    14/15: 15 starts, 5 substitute appearances, 1362 minutes. Fourteen games missed.

So that's a total of forty five game missed in five seasons. Appearances in decline over the last two seasons. Hamstring and ankle trouble prominent. I'll be checking the figures for myself in future (and the lad who I thought knew what he was talking about is decidedly off the list) but that's still not the greatest picture. I just don't see him adapting to the league in general. I wonder what people are expecting of Schweinsteiger too. He's not a German version of Vidal. He's a Carrick-alike. Better on the ball and better leadership qualities, with Carrick being slightly better defensively. Given how Van Gaal seems to be wringing our players out with his physical preperation work and training, will Schweinsteiger hold up?

He only missed a few league games last season it was just pep preferred alonso and thiago in midfield when bastian came back from injury.

jayo26 wrote: »
    He only missed a few league games last season it was just pep preferred alonso and thiago in midfield when bastian came back from injury.
    A preference that wasn't misplaced given Bayern's dominance. They got a good fee for a player they ultimately didn't want and who has had bother with his condition for a few years.

A preference that wasn't misplaced given Bayern's dominance. They got a good fee for a player they ultimately didn't want and who has had bother with his condition for a few years.
    Possibly right. Doesn't mean a player of his experience and ability isn't a great boost to the selections at United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Well said Mitch

Pointing where he wanted the ball, demanding passes and where he'd play it too, Spurs couldn't get a kick into him.

Him Carrick and Morgan leave me confident in pur base in MF and Daley can do a similar job in there if any of the three get injured.

He may have dictated play but he had one absolute shocker that let Spurs break. He really got away with one then.

SantryRed wrote: »
    He may have dictated play but he had one absolute shocker that let Spurs break. He really got away with one then.
    Remember Scholes assisting a city goal on his return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Schweinsteiger will prove to be a mistake.

Don't agree with that but only time will tell. Not a risky move, decent price of £14 million.

Wealth of experience that can only help off the pitch and of course help the younger guys.

Leader and showed some glimpses of him already shouting orders around last weekend.

I expect him to do very solid for us when called upon, but even if he doesn't light the place up for what he adds in experience, leadership, morale boost and as a role model alone I see it being well worth the price.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Don't agree with that but only time will tell. Not a risky move, decent price of £14 million.

Wealth of experience that can only help off the pitch and of course help the younger guys.

Leader and showed some glimpses of him already shouting orders around last weekend.

I expect him to do very solid for us when called upon, but even if he doesn't light the place up for what he adds in experience, leadership, morale boost and as a role model alone I see it being well worth the price.

When you consider the experience lost recently with rio, vidic, Eva, Scholes, giggs, fletcher; adding experience in schweinsteiger is a great move imo.

@ Winston

So you're telling us you don't like Bastian. That's ok, we get it. Move on. We all have players we don't like at the club.

But if you think a multiple time german champion, champions league winner, World Cup winner and Germany's captain isn't good enough to play at our club I think you need to re-evaluate your standards a wee bit cos there's not many better players out there than him.

Did Bayern want him to go? Not really, look at the send off and respect given him by Bayern as a club on his departure. Classy and respectful.
    Did they get a good offer from United? Yes they did
    Did the player also ask to have the move granted? Yes he did and Bayern as a club were willing to grant him his wishes given the service he'd given them.

Have we as a club gained a leader? Too bloody right we have.
    Have we improved our first choice midfield. Abso bloody lutely

I'd take him every day of the week and twice on a sunday over 99% of the players in the game right now.

SantryRed wrote: »

True he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Possibly right. Doesn't mean a player of his experience and ability isn't a great boost to the selections at United.

+1
    I don't think he was ever bough with the intention of being an ever present in the team wheras Schneiderlin would be.
    You can see him and Carrick alternating over a number of game, with one replacing the other off the bench when needed.
    He brings depth of cover defensively to the midfield, we're no longer depending on Jones or Fellani to play that role if Carrick is out.

We have been crying out for a number of years for a leader in the middle and in the backs, he is one, withing minutes of coming on, you could see him pointing to Shaw to get out wider to be available to receive the ball from Romereo after a back pass, that kind of instruction from a proven winner will benefit all the team.
    It was also the first game after only a few weeks at the club, they all looked rusty at times out there, as did Spurs (how many times did Walker f-up with kicking or letting the ball out for a throw?)
    For what, £14m, it wasn't a huge gamble on getting him, despite what Pep would have us think.

@ Winston

So you're telling us you don't like Bastian. That's ok, we get it. Move on. We all have players we don't like at the club.
    It's not that I don't like him. You've gotten this so badly wrong that I've decided not to bother with the rest of the waffle and will deal only with this. Schweinsteiger has been one of my favourite players for a number of years but his body is only going one way over the last few years and that's all I've said.

Our problem this year is not going to be defence or goalkeeper it will be scoring goals, if we can get our forwards ticking away and flowing we be ok the defence will always let in shocker here or there but with the money and players we have been buying we should be scoring a lot more goals then we have been and that is ultimately our problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

@ Winston

But if you think a multiple time german champion, champions league winner, World Cup winner and Germany's captain isn't good enough to play at our club I think you need to re-evaluate your standards a wee bit cos there's not many better players out there than him.

Did Bayern want him to go? Not really, look at the send off and respect given him by Bayern as a club on his departure. Classy and respectful.
    Did they get a good offer from United? Yes they did
    Did the player also ask to have the move granted? Yes he did and Bayern as a club were willing to grant him his wishes given the service he'd given them.

Have we as a club gained a leader? Too bloody right we have.
    Have we improved our first choice midfield. Abso bloody lutely

I'd take him every day of the week and twice on a sunday over 99% of the players in the game right now.

I can't believe this is even being discussed. Was amazed when BS actually agreed to sign for United - the guy is legend status in Germany and its only 12 months since he ran the World Cup Final - and that with an injury.

Even if he only plays 20 games and leaves next summer he'll be worth it in terms of what he'll bring to the team. In the CL alone his experience (plus that of Carrick) will be vital.

Once he gets his fitness sorted he'll be our big game player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Schweinstiger signing a mistake. I have actually read it all now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

FutureGuy wrote: »

No matter what happens it can't be a mistake. He was bought for peanuts and has already shown the leadership he was bought for. Had we only bought him then you could argue that would be a mistake but given we;ve also bough Morgs then we're set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well said Mitch

Him Carrick and Morgan leave me confident in pur base in MF and Daley can do a similar job in there if any of the three get injured.

Yeah that was immediately noticeable. Directing play, shouting, pointing out who to mark who. He is a pure dictator in there. Exactly what we have needed for so long.

Sure he had a few lose passes, but ****it so did everyone first game back.

The weight thing was a bit weird. Seems to be some little fascination about players carrying a few extra pounds. Who ****ing doesn't start of the season.

And I think its a stretch calling him overweight, he's always been a bulky tanky looking fella, he hasn't been a slim looking bloke since he was bursting up the right wing in his earlier days.

Just feel Pep made some comments that were clearly saving face, and everyone took it as gospel as he is a accident waiting to happen. Well not everyone, but it was plastered all over the pods today and the preview pods from Thursday I only caught up on today.

And if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't so much Bayern not wanting to keep him, as Schweinsteiger saying he wanted to leave. Was it not somewhat clear from Pep himself, that the decision was down to Schweinsteiger. I think Bayern trying to save a bit of face there from one of their stars willingly wanting to leave.

Hairs stood up on my neck when the camera went to him warming up. What a player to have in the ranks.

Just thought it was an apt thing to discuss considering the pics of Roy Keane. He was standout for me in that World Cup final. Injured, not playing great, yet fought and fought and fought and went toe to toe with Mascherano, who was one of the best performers of that tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not a mistake. It's great to see Schweinsteiger playing for United.

CL94ssOXAAAcN-z.jpgCL5N17hWoAAokqF.jpg

Also I think it unfair to label Schweinsteger replacing Carrick as handing Spurs the initiative.

Darmian was solid as **** at right back but was also supplementing the attack pinning Spurs back a little. Valencia wasn't as forward minded and got caught out twice as far as I recall early after his intro, so he went a bit reclusive to be cautious.

Depay withdrawn for Hererra also took away the threat of pace we had on the break.

I would have brought on Schweinsteiger alright to give him some minutes in a game were we weren't overly threatened, but would have brought on Pererra for Mata to inject some pace on the right to give Spurs something to think about as they pilled forward.

Would have also withdrawn Rooney who looked a bit sluggish after that blow to the head,and put Chico on. Again more pace, to punish Spurs as they chased a goal.

Something noticeable last year at times was Van Gaals subs that kinda handed the initiative to opposing teams. There was a feeling of that again on Saturday, and I hope it doesn't keep happening. Totally appreciate teams are going to get spells where they are pressing on us, and pressuring us, but you don't need to help them with some weird substitutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wonder what people are expecting of Schweinsteiger too.

My opinion on Schweinsteiger is very similar to my opinion on Van Gaal when he arrived.

A lot of people were happy to declare that LVG was a proven winner and so whatever he does must be correct by default. You'll still hear it today, no matter how crap we play it seems Van Gaal knows what he is doing and everything will be alright. For myself, I prefer to judge what is happening in front of my face, previous performance is a good indicator but it is far from a guarantee.

So it is with Schweinsteiger. He was a world class player and he could be a great signing for us, but I'll hold off on calling him a United legend until he actually does it on the field for Manchester United. Let the Bayern fans deify him for his past performances, they were the ones that benefited from them. In that context there is absolutely no problem stating that his injury record is a concern or that his first start was less than auspicious, its just judging by what is on front of us today and not his history, and so furthermore there is no real need for rolling the eyes at anybody who dares to speak ill of the great Bastion Schweinsteiger.

FutureGuy wrote: »

The only mistake relating to Schweinsteiger was not properly testing his and Munich's resolve after his impressive South African World Cup. Was player of the tournament for me and thought Fergie would properly go address our CM problems.

I was convinced, convinced, we were going to sign Ozil and Schweinsteiger after that tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

TheDoc wrote: »
    The only mistake relating to Schweinsteiger was not properly testing his and Munich's resolve after his impressive South African World Cup. Was player of the tournament for me and thought Fergie would properly go address our CM problems.

I was convinced, convinced, we were going to sign Ozil and Schweinsteiger after that tournament.

There's an abundance of talent in the Bundesliga and, for some reason, United would rather sign the Phil Jones' of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,451 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

We'll see how many other teams keep a clean sheet against Spurs. Kane and Eriksen are really good and would probably be in the United team. Alderweireld and Vertonghen are also both very good defenders who'd both probably make the United starting 11 so they're no mugs. It was Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Romero and Memphis' first game at OT on the home team. Spurs also had less of a strenuous preseason travel-wise. They played pretty much the same system as United with maybe even more discipline.

Looking at all those factors a win starts to look a lot better on Saturday. Some of the OTT reactions here are ridiculous.

Liam O wrote: »
    Looking at all those factors a win starts to look a lot better on Saturday. Some of the OTT reactions here are ridiculous.

It was a poor performance.

It's not OTT to state that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Alex Meier wrote: »
    There's an abundance of talent in the Bundesliga and, for some reason, United would rather sign the Phil Jones' of this world.

Yes embarrassing Fergie would attempt to sign the highest rated teenage CB in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

If Phil Jones was available tomorrow every single team in the league would be interested in him and if we signed a German player I'm sure you'd just be giving out about him after a game or two.

It was a poor performance.

It's not OTT to state that.

The 4th best team and the 5th best team in the league in close scrappy game shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The 4th best team and the 5th best team in the league in close scrappy game shocker.

Season opener too. Chelsea dropped points, Arsenal dropped points, Liverpool almost dropped points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Was it or was it not a poor performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

U21s: #mufc v Leicester (A):
    J.Pereira;
    Varela, Love, Grimshaw, Borthwick-Jackson;
    Fosu-Mensah, Goss;
    Willock, Harrop, Weir;
    Fletcher.

substitutes: Henderson, El Fitouri, McTominay, Riley, Redmond.

J.Pereira;
    Fosu-Mensah, Goss;
    Willock, Harrop, Weir;
    Fletcher.

Is it on mutv mate?
    Edit just checked yeh its on mutv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Is it on mutv mate?

It is indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is that a repeat tonight lads on MUTV at 9pm

"LVG My Life, My Philosophy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Is it on mutv mate?

yeah

• Advertisement

Is that a repeat tonight lads on MUTV at 9pm

"LVG My Life, My Philosophy"

Yehh that was a corny one from last year.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It is indeed

Ninja edit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Yehh that was a corny one from last year.

Oh yes,I remember it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

J.Pereira;
    Fosu-Mensah, Goss;
    Willock, Harrop, Weir;
    Fletcher.

That's a very talented midfield, those 3 in particular....

Jayop wrote: »
    Season opener too. Chelsea dropped points, Arsenal dropped points, Liverpool almost dropped points.

I love the plethora of excuses for the fact that it was a muck performance against Tottenham.

Granted. . . It's early days.

We'll see if Van Gaal improves things as the season progresses.

My bet is that he won't . . . The players don't buy into his "philosophy" and neither do most of the fans of United who believe that entertaining football and winning matches are not mutually exclusive.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Was it or was it not a poor performance?

It wasn't. United kept a clean sheet and beat the 5th best team in the league.

I love the plethora of excuses for the fact that it was a muck performance against Tottenham.

Granted. . . It's early days.

We'll see if Van Gaal improves things as the season progresses.

My bet is that he won't . . . The players don't buy into his "philosophy" and neither do most of the fans of United who believe that entertaining football and winning matches are not mutually exclusive.
    i reckon the players are buying in to it - if they weren't they'd have been kicked out as Rafael and ADM were.

I think the plan is boring, or the players don't have the ability to execute it in an exciting way (its a bit of both imo) - rather than the players not buying in to it as you say. There is far more evidence of the players performing to the tactics given them than not.

feck - if you consider that a good performance, i'd hate to see what dross we'd have to serve up for you think it a poor one.

So performances are based on beating the fifth best team in the league?

Do you understand the difference between a good performance and a good result?

• Advertisement

Any positives from weekend?

Romero looked good too soon to say if he could be a number one but he couldnt of made much better of a debut considering he was only at club for two weeks.

Darmian was a major positive his link up with mata was nice at times,

Schneiderlin showed loads of composure and he was with his attempt to send a ball in over the defence to rooney but just missed timed but that will come with games.

Memphis was cool as ever just seemed to be no1 else on his level thinking wise him and rooney need to connect some way better.

Going forward the team looked like they hadn't put in one practice session together tactics need to be sorted out quick and worked on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement