Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pro. F wrote: »
    result =/= performance, obviously. And I was talking about the performance.

What were people expecting from the game that they are complaining about? A better performance. You really are trying hard to not understand this.

I thought the team defended well despite a few lapses in concentration. There were some flashes of what the attack were capable of but the fluidity isn't there yet. Can I not be happy with a clean sheet against one of the better attacking teams in the league? Or is it only attacking football that's allowed to be praised?

I've been very vocal in my criticism of LVG but this isn't an occasion that I would be jumping on him. In difficult circumstances the team pulled through. I just don't understand what everyone was expecting from the game? A 3 or 4 nil rout? Would people have been happier with a 3 all draw where all the attackers looked good and the defense a mess? At this stage getting the defense in order is more important than attacking. There's a lot of talent in the attack and it will click. People acting like the world is falling down and being overly critical after one game won't change that opinion for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Liam O wrote: »
    I thought the team defended well despite a few lapses in concentration. There were some flashes of what the attack were capable of but the fluidity isn't there yet. Can I not be happy with a clean sheet against one of the better attacking teams in the league? Or is it only attacking football that's allowed to be praised?

Of course you can. As pretty much everybody on the thread has said, it wasn't all bad.
    I've been very vocal in my criticism of LVG but this isn't an occasion that I would be jumping on him. In difficult circumstances the team pulled through. I just don't understand what everyone was expecting from the game? A 3 or 4 nil rout? Would people have been happier with a 3 all draw where all the attackers looked good and the defense a mess? At this stage getting the defense in order is more important than attacking. There's a lot of talent in the attack and it will click. People acting like the world is falling down and being overly critical after one game won't change that opinion for me.

You are just repeating this same shíte again and again. You are a complete time waster.

• Some good reading tonight..but also some overreaction...
    Quick thoughts...the transfer windows not closed yet and I do think lvg has acknowledged were still missing some quality in the side.. Still thinks its coming.
    I'm with Liam O in relation to the result also, and best thing to come out of the match was the excellent defensive performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Personally, I agree with both sides and understand the arguments.

For me at this minute its all about Results. We started off so slow last year not getting our first win till Mid September. I would be pleased with 10 points from first 4 games, 12 would be sweet.

Once International break is over there can be little excuse and its from there I would expect the team to gel more, with more consistent and better performances, more often.

Of course you can. As pretty much everybody on the thread has said, it wasn't all bad.

You are just repeating this same shíte again and again. You are a complete time waster.

I'm repeating it and nobody is answering. Do you disagree that Spurs are a very good side who are going to give a lot of teams problems? Most of all a team who have had a bad preseason imo with regards playing time, had 4 new players in the starting 11 who had never played a home game at OT. There's valid criticism but some of the reading today would lead someone who didn't see the score to think that United were beat comfortably. I'm optimistic about this group of players, Blind and Young in the team aside and reading all the negativity after an opening day win is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Spurs are deeply moderate. Bentaleb and Dier as their deep midfield players, Chadli on one wing who's even more predictable than Young and Dembele on the other to stiffen them up.

Spurs are deeply moderate. Bentaleb and Dier as their deep midfield players, Chadli on one wing who's even more predictable than Young and Dembele on the other to stiffen them up.

Functional and disciplined. Much more athletic and fitter players than United had out there to cover ground and not give space while just trying to get the ball to Kane and Eriksen. I like Chadli, he has a lot of good qualities in a winger. Spurs also have what is potentially the best CB combo in the league in Alderweireld and Vertonghen. They are not a bad side and were playing the same deep lying system as United which meant space in the middle was at a premium. Young got a lot of the ball and did diddly squat most of the game. A top level player out there and he punishes Walker imo. Before anyone says it I know he set up the goal but that was a pass that if he hadn't made it would have been ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm repeating it and nobody is answering.

I answered you directly, twice.

Here:
    People think United should be playing better.
    And here:
    result =/= performance, obviously. And I was talking about the performance.

What were people expecting from the game that they are complaining about? A better performance. You really are trying hard to not understand this.

Even though it is tedious to keep answering the same question for you, it is fun to see somebody pretending they can't understand a simple point when it doesn't suit their argument. So I'll spell it out for you again one more time for the laugh.

People were expecting a better performance from United in the game.

Performances and results are not the same thing.

Do you disagree that Spurs are a very good side who are going to give a lot of teams problems? Most of all a team who have had a bad preseason imo with regards playing time, had 4 new players in the starting 11 who had never played a home game at OT. There's valid criticism but some of the reading today would lead someone who didn't see the score to think that United were beat comfortably. I'm optimistic about this group of players, Blind and Young in the team aside and reading all the negativity after an opening day win is baffling.

Yes I disagree that Spurs are a very good side. By the standards that we should expect of United they are an above average side.

There may be valid reasons for why United put in a poor performance, but if you don't even acknowledge that it was a poor performance, which you don't, then you are just not in touch with reality.

Dier and Bentaleb "more athletic and fitter players" yet they were both subbed off before the end of the game. Chadli having good qualities...I'm not sure what to do with all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Can we just stop analyzing Saturday's game, United won and that's the only thing that bloody matters.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Can we just stop analyzing Saturday's game, United won and that's the only thing that bloody matters.
    If you're not interested in the discussion, start your own or don't participate in it. This whining achieves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

If you're not interested in the discussion, start your own or don't participate in it. This whining achieves nothing.

I'm not whining, i'm just saying why can't people just be happy with the 3 points and move on and focus on the next game instead of nitpicking the game.

But that's just my 2 cents..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Personally, I agree with both sides and understand the arguments.

For me at this minute its all about Results. We started off so slow last year not getting our first win till Mid September. I would be pleased with 10 points from first 4 games, 12 would be sweet.

12 points should be achieveable and we all hope we get it,but lets be honest we were lucky on saturday and we have two away games coming up that we were absolutely awful in last season, with the added dilemma this time out with champions league games to fit in around them.

we can definitely win both but unless LVG changes his ways and plays our players in the right positions, we face dour struggles for the foreseeable future until either new players come in and/or all our players settle in.

Liverpool is not far away and off the basis that they have all their transfer work done before the season starts, possibly will be a more settled side before we play them - they will cause us more problems than Spurs IMO and are a bigger threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I've no problem with utd being flamboyant and attacking at will, if we are 2 or 3 goals up at the time. But not when the game is balanced on a knife edge. Basic thinking is that you start every game with 1 point. So the number 1 goal is that you don't lose that point. Secondary to that is you try to get goals and get all 3 points. This is why defence is so important, and I think Utd have gone a good way towards strengthening that area along with midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

pablo128 wrote: »
    I've no problem with utd being flamboyant and attacking at will, if we are 2 or 3 goals up at the time. But not when the game is balanced on a knife edge. Basic thinking is that you start every game with 1 point. So the number 1 goal is that you don't lose that point. Secondary to that is you try to get goals and get all 3 points. This is why defence is so important, and I think Utd have gone a good way towards strengthening that area along with midfield.

The number one goal is three points, not one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I think we all agree that the 3 points is a Good Thing and we are glad to have them. However, the performance is a cause for concern because it suggests that we could be in for another long season of watching United drop points against mediocre opposition and failing to challenge for the title - something that should be achievable, expected even, with the resources available to the club.

Look, it's the first game back, you expect some rustiness. But it was Spurs' first game back too, and the performance had more than a little similarity to some of the less impressive displays from last year. You can be hopeful that things will improve whilst also being critical of what you've seen.

The thread is here for us to discuss these things, why sweep it under the carpet and pretend the last game didn't happen?

By Wednesday or Thursday I'm sure people will be talking about Friday's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The number one goal is three points, not one.

Oh well that's fine. Attack straight from the whistle then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

pablo128 wrote: »
    Oh well that's fine. Attack straight from the whistle then?

Yes '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gone a bit mental in here.... We grinded out a 1-0 victory in the first game of the season against a decent Spurs side who were up for it. It's 3 points... Had we lost 2-1 I'd still not be drawing too many conclusions from a game that proved nothing more then, and a weekend of fixtures that suggested no more then a lot of teams are rusty and feeling their way back into it, early season start etc... We have had an influx of new players, an overhauled midfield etc... It will take time to come together, not the perfect game but let's debate ok..but not over analyse... Stay positive it will come good... IMHO of course ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think we will sign Harry Kane. He would be an excellent signing in my opinion, I know some think the opposite, but I think he would show his talent.

Kane is already imagining himself in a United shirt, leading out the team as captain...
    http://www.gq234.com/sport-news/video-harry-kane-couldnt-keep-his-eyes-off-wayne-rooney-in-the-tunnel-before-man-united-vs-spurs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

WBA have signed 2 strikers this summer Lambert and Saloman Rondon already have Anichebe and Berahino. If I was writing headlines I'd be saying he is going to Man U.
    Although I do know its spurs. Took his offside goal well tonight but tbh I wouldnt know too much about him bar that he seems to have a bad attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Daley must read the thread and isn't happy with the criticisms of him as CB :pac:
    "I've said many times before that I just want to play,”

"If you see what everyone can add to the team, then it's a real battle for places and everyone had to fight for a position.

"I got a chance on this occasion and I tried my best. Of course, people always say I don't have the height or the power but I think I'm clever enough and smart enough.

"I think we did well at the back, together with Chris (Smalling), Luke (Shaw) and Matteo (Darmian), and we got a clean sheet so I was happy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Christ this thread has disintegrated over the past few weeks with some of the bitching that's gone one.

I'm all for a bit of lively debate but there's some very extreme points being taken on both sides of the debate.

Maybe it'll stop when the school term restarts in a few weeks and the kids have something else to do...

Anyways looking forward to Friday and the first Friday night game under lights (I think!!) Looking forward to this game. Villa away is one of those games that's always exciting, dunno why but there's always something a bit mad happens at villa park (giggsy wonder goal, come from behind 3-2 cup voictory, Scholes almost breaking the cross bar!!!)
    Another 3 points would be the order of the day. if that's with a 1-0 I'll be happy. Lets not forget this is a results based business.

On a completely unimportant topic, out of curiosity is the new away kit officially unveiled today or friday? I know we all know what it looks like but I always think they look way better when you see the players wearing them than just the jersey on a table, and also be able to buy it if I want.

Definitely getting the third kit anyway...have to wait until like the 27th for that to be released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Looking back at the weekend results, the best one on paper for me is our one with Spurs. That Spurs side are together now for a year, they are settled, know each other well and cost a nice bit of money to put together. We on the other hand played several new players and it was a right banana skin of a game. On the balance of it, it was an excellent result.

kstand wrote: »
    Looking back at the weekend results, the best one on paper for me is our one with Spurs. That Spurs side are together now for a year, they are settled, know each other well and cost a nice bit of money to put together. We on the other hand played several new players and it was a right banana skin of a game. On the balance of it, it was an excellent result.

I don't think anyone is doubting that the result was a good one. The worry or complaints are for the performance. It really is divided into some people who think the performance is a sign of things to come for the new season and others who are putting it down to just one game and feel things will get better.

I think most on either side have stated why they feel the way they do and only time will tell.

But yeah it was a good result getting the 3 points and hopefully we do the same against Villa now and get some momentum. I am nervous he will rest quite a few players on Friday which could lead us to being a bit vulnerable but we shall see. Can't wait for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamocovic wrote: »
    But yeah it was a good result getting the 3 points and hopefully we do the same against Villa now and get some momentum. I am nervous he will rest quite a few players on Friday which could lead us to being a bit vulnerable but we shall see. Can't wait for it.

If there is one team I am never nervous about facing it is Villa, I have no doubt whatsoever that we will win on Friday.

How we go about it is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

On a completely unimportant topic, out of curiosity is the new away kit officially unveiled today or friday? I know we all know what it looks like but I always think they look way better when you see the players wearing them than just the jersey on a table, and also be able to buy it if I want.

Definitely getting the third kit anyway...have to wait until like the 27th for that to be released

I think it's unveiled today(as far as I know!) but it is only for sale from Friday

If there is one team I am never nervous about facing it is Villa, I have no doubt whatsoever that we will win on Friday.

How we go about it is another matter.

Well ya just gone and jinxed us now :pac:

god-damnit-o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Chronological review of the tone of the thread:

Thursday 6th August.
    If we don't get Otamendi/Ramos, Pedro, Ibrahimovic and Ronaldo, and keep DeGea we're f**ked. How can anyone have faith that Smalling is good enough?

Saturday 8th August.
    Beat Spurs 1-0 with a solid, if uninspiring, performance against a team regularly qualifying for Europe.

Sunday 9th August.
    That was an awful performance. If we don't get Pedro, we're f**ked.

I read a claim that United will sign Kane, and Spurs will sign Hernandez and Berahino.

Can see that happening. Presume we get Pedro at some stage of this transfer window.

A line up from midfield forward of:
    ---Schneiderlin---Carrick----
    Rooney
    Pedro
    Memphis
    Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »
    I read a claim that United will sign Kane, and Spurs will sign Hernandez and Berahino.

Can see that happening. Presume we get Pedro at some stage of this transfer window.

A line up from midfield forward of:
    ---Schneiderlin---Carrick----
    Rooney
    Pedro
    Memphis
    Kane

I do not want to see Rooney in that withdrawn position, he isn't creative enough for it and we don't even need to try it, not with Herrera and Mata waiting in the wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Rooney in midfield :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rooney in midfield :rolleyes:

No more in midfield than Memphis was on Saturday, I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Rooney back in midfield and bring in Lucas Biglia to play in defence ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rooney needs a player up there with him. He'd be much more effective with the little pea beside him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

would love to see us go two strikers up top and two speedy wingers supporting them.

is it too much to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

would love to see us go two strikers up top and two speedy wingers supporting them.

is it too much to ask?

de gea

Darmain
    smalling
    blind
    shaw

Pedro
    Carrick----Schneiderlain---Memphis

Mata

Rooney

Rooney in the number 10 position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

bangkok wrote: »

de gea

Darmain
    smalling
    blind
    shaw

Pedro
    Carrick----Schneiderlain---Memphis

Mata

Rooney

i like the look of that, very balanced. 2 pacey wingers, one midfielder who will sit and one wo will run, one 10 in his best position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Shove in Rojo over Blind and Herrera/Schweinsteiger over Carrick and that would be me happy.

is it too much to ask?

With LVG, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

RobertKK wrote: »
    With LVG, yes.

for most of the early part of last season he tried to get 2 strikers to work together with falcao and rvp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Eurosport reporting that Utd have agreed personal terms with Lucas Biglia , fee believed to be around 17.5 million pounds...nothing concrete though.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/transfers/2015-2016/liveevent.shtml

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Eurosport reporting that Utd have agreed personal terms with Lucas Biglia , fee believed to be around 17.5 million pounds...nothing concrete though.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/transfers/2015-2016/liveevent.shtml

I'd hope it's all just rumours and nonsense. If we did spend 17.5 million on a player we don't need rather than investing it into an attacking option I would be well miffed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

is it too much to ask?

I'll settle for a lone striker with pacey wingers... who can deliver the final ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Biglia to play as CB perhaps? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'd hope it's all just rumours and nonsense. If we did spend 17.5 million on a player we don't need rather than investing it into an attacking option I would be well miffed!

Same here , Think we have enough midfielders now in the centre and I want to see Herrera in that midfield as a first choice...Can't see the deal happening but you never know with LVG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Agreed. why on earth would we buy another midfielder. We have an abundance of quality there to the point herrera is being left on the bench so why bring more in. LVG we need a flippin striker, winger and a CB!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement