Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

The discussion here recently, mainly the back and forth over neagative and positive comments was somewhat interesting to me.
    You always have your outlyers in terms of viewpoints but when you take on board we won even though we didnt play well the level of more negative comments seemed hquite high especially when over the years most people would come into the new season with renewed confidence a clean slate lets say.

Back in the day where tabloids and teletext were your only news if we had signed the players we have done, which included a world cup captain and only sold players who underperformed. There would have been a buzz.

I dont want to go too deep but I've supported Man U pretty much all my life I remember having and If they ever got relelgated or anything I still would support them.

I do get there are problems etc and I can give out about them like the best but the blind optimism I will go into any game we play thinking(hoping) we will win and the buzz I get off them wins is what makes me love following the club.

Are things so analytical nowadays where you cant just fist pump love a victory without needing the performance to be perfect or even good

Just before lads come in, I have negatives from the game but I'd prefer to embrace the high, joy, warm feelings in your nether regions before looking at the cold hard facts and after I do that I'll be back the day of the game.

WE ARE GOING WIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well ya just gone and Munsoned us now :pac:

god-damnit-o.gif

Fixed your post, 2008 style!

12 Sep - Premier League
    Man United

vs
    5:30 p.m.
    Liverpool

Does anyone know if the United v Pool game will get changed to the sunday? I was fairly sure United v Pool games are never the evening games?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

J. Marston wrote: »

That looks like he is playing down he was sold just because he was Brazilian. WE don't know what question was asked. By the response it looked like question was about Van Gaal dont like Brazilian and was that the reason he was sold. In the second tweet Rafael said that's not the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

12 Sep - Premier League
    Man United

vs
    Liverpool

Does anyone know if the United v Pool game will get changed to the sunday? I was fairly sure United v Pool games are never the evening games?

the game is on sky , so the time or date wont be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

12 Sep - Premier League
    Man United

vs
    Liverpool

CL on the following Tue/Wed so unless United are confirmed playing on the Wednesday - this won't be know in time for a fixture change so you're save with the Sat @ 5.30

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

astradave wrote: »
    They are nice, very very nice :D

Slightly NSFW and Huge "pic"

Nice firepower there,two strikers up front :D

Nice firepower there,two strikers up front :D

Now if only Hayley would wear one.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Now if only Hayley would wear one.......

Yes I agree,it would be only fair if she gave her views on the jersey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Probably quoted already but here are some of the quotes from Pedro after last nights match
    Asked if he wanted to go or not, the winger said: "The answer is no, but it's complicated for many things.

"It's not for money, as has been said – which is another lack of respect. It's a question of continuity, of minutes. I'm an ambitious player. Stay or go, I will always be of this team.

"Robert has made some very unfortunate declarations. I've crossed two words with him and he doesn't know what I've been through at the club to talk like that of me.

"I know who I am and I will always be of Barca. Such people shouldn't speak in this way. I've not said what Robert's said, or at least not how I said it.

"I'm calm, happy and I will always continue giving everything if I continue at this club. Manchester? Yes, there are nice challenges on all sides.

"Today I'm here and I'm happy. And if I go I will go with my head held high having always given everything. These fans and this club are incredible."

Pedro had been expected by many to start in the Super Cup but coach Luis Enrique included Rafinha in his team instead while Neymar was sidelined with mumps.

The 51-cap former World Cup winner was disappointed not to make the starting XI but refused to be drawn on the significance of his omission.

Pedro added: "The truth is that I had a good chance to play, especially since what happened to Neymar, and it wasn't to be.

"The coach has decided not to count on me. I don't know, I don't know if I will continue here. I'm here now and I want to enjoy this title."

At times it sounds like he's going, at others it sounds like he wants to be given regular football and then he will stay, I don't know what to think! Also he said Manchester not United, now maybe I'm reading too much into it and getting worried over nothing but please god say City don't steal him.

Such a tease....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pedro with a lot of class there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Headshot wrote: »
    Pedro with a lot of class there

Very calm and thought out answers, I suppose with all the speculation he knew it was inevitable that it would be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

12 Sep - Premier League
    Man United

vs
    Liverpool

wont be changed...

Remember this game, think it was a Wednesday night game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94rW92p0j6Y

scholes cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Probably quoted already but here are some of the quotes from Pedro after last nights match

At times it sounds like he's going, at others it sounds like he wants to be given regular football and then he will stay, I don't know what to think! Also he said Manchester not United, now maybe I'm reading too much into it and getting worried over nothing but please god say City don't steal him.

Such a tease....

If he had said Man City I would be worried about them but the fact is that most people in Spain refer to United as just Manchester, they don't put the United after it..

Anyways Pedro showed alot about himself in that and comes off very well..

Such a tease....

He seems to basically be saying he doesn't want to leave but he has to if he wants to play more - bit of a play to the Barca fans but he knows he's on the way.

Whole thing smacks a bit of Di Maria to me - he's at a great club, would rather stay but knows where he sits in the pecking order and is reluctantly moving on. Only difference is Barca (publicly at least) don't seem to want to sell whereas Madrid did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pedro, if he plays enough will stay at Barca, that is what he wants and why he signed a new contract.

It's looking like he won't play enough to keep him happy. So he would leave in that circumstance.

For a possible move, not starting with no Naymar, him talking, barca management talking are good indicators of a move happening despite his ideal wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It reads like someone who knows they're out the door, but I could be bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

who would want to leave Barca, especially a Masia product.

It doesn't make a difference, the vast majority of players at any club are not there "because they want to be" they are there because it's the best deal they got, best pay or sometimes best prospect of gametime and/or trophies.

it's naive in the extreme to want or expect to have only players who "want" to be at the club.

Super silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When Pedro does not sign the meltdown will match RAWK I say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It feels like a signing that could be quickly made if United pulled their finger out and actually bid for him, which appears not to have happened so far. Why United have not actually bid (if the public comments from Barca are to be believed) I can only assume it is because we either don't actually want him or he is a backup target to a bigger name like Bale or Ronaldo, who we aren't going to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Who let FutureGuy onto Kews account???

who would want to leave Barca, especially a Masia product.

It doesn't make a difference, the vast majority of players at any club are not there "because they want to be" they are there because it's the best deal they got, best pay or sometimes best prospect of gametime and/or trophies.

it's naive in the extreme to want or expect to have only players who "want" to be at the club.

Super silly.

Not sure I'm getting you

I don't think Pedro (or many other players) have an aching in their heart to "want" to be at United anymore than they would "want" to be at City / Chelsea / PSG etc.

But what you don't want is a player, ala DM, who was plainly unhappy being where he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ericzeking

It feels like a signing that could be quickly made if United pulled their finger out and actually bid for him, which appears not to have happened so far. Why United have not actually bid (if the public comments from Barca are to be believed) I can only assume it is because we either don't actually want him or he is a backup target to a bigger name like Bale or Ronaldo, who we aren't going to sign.

I would be shocked if we are in for Ronaldo, for the simple reason that we gave Memphis 7..... I couldn't see the business side of the Club passing up the marketing possibilities for CR7 even if there was a remote chance.

I do reckon we're in for Bale on some level and it would make sense if Pedro was dependent on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think transfers aren't as straight forward as some people here think. United would of already sounded out how serious Pedro is about leaving and more importantly if he would be interested in joining United.

Its clear from the messing going on that Pedro either doesn't want to leave or is unsure what to do.

I wonder how things would of been progressing had David Gill still been at the club. The jury is out for Woodward. Despite some people salivating over some of our signings under his stewardship, I would ask who couldn't of signed those players with the financial backing he has got. In short, I think he has done an unremarkable job, if anything the purchase and selling price of players has been questionable. This is evident from uniteds comments about getting value for the potential sale of David De Gea (we just don't get value for our players).

I personally don't think Pedro wants to leave. I think a Barca bigwig called his bluff and now hes having to backtrack and be less aggressive about his intentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It reads like someone who knows they're out the door, but I could be bias.

it really is impossible to tell whats happening now, i do get the impression he wants to stay but Enrique wont give him assurances.

need this one closed off asap anyway eitherway, will be a super signing if he arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It used to annoy me that United were simply called "Manchester" in many countries until I realised, it only happened because City have been so irrelevant :pac:
    Drumpot wrote: »
    I personally don't think Pedro wants to leave.

That's hardly surprising though. He basically said as much in the interview posted above. He would stay if he was getting game time. He's very been very honest and very clear about that.

The fact is that, even with Neymar out last night, they didn't play him. He will definitely leave IMHO, as that will have reinforced in his mind that Enrique doesn't really trust him. The fact that he is talking as openly as above means that he is as good as gone (whether it's to United or someone else).

He's been pretty dignified about the whole thing to be honest. I'll be glad to have him at United, if he does join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yes "Manchester" or "United" is Man Utd

same with Madrid. Its Real Madrid.

If you go into a bookies and write down United/Madrid double the bookies take it you are backing Man Utd and Real Madrid, not like some punter last year who tried to claim he was backing Athletico Madrid but the bookies wouldn't pay out his 2k. Real Madrid drew at home that weekend 2-2

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think transfers aren't as straight forward as some people here think. United would of already sounded out how serious Pedro is about leaving and more importantly if he would be interested in joining United.

Its clear from the messing going on that Pedro either doesn't want to leave or is unsure what to do.

I wonder how things would of been progressing had David Gill still been at the club. The jury is out for Woodward. Despite some people salivating over some of our signings under his stewardship, I would ask who couldn't of signed those players with the financial backing he has got. In short, I think he has done an unremarkable job, if anything the purchase and selling price of players has been questionable. This is evident from uniteds comments about getting value for the potential sale of David De Gea (we just don't get value for our players).

I personally don't think Pedro wants to leave. I think a Barca bigwig called his bluff and now hes having to backtrack and be less aggressive about his intentions.

I'm not too sure Gill was all that great either. United have struggled for years on transfers, right back to the Ronaldinhio debacle in 2003 (Kenyon may have had something to do with this)

United have consistently paid over the odds for players for as long as I can remember - in the Gill era we had Bebe, Dong Whathisname, Bellion all iffy transfers, Anderson & Nani we were screwed on, Carrick at the time was a rip off, Jones at £17M, Berbatov for £31M, even Rio's fee remained a record for a defender for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

Anderson was rated as one of the best young players in the world when he signed. The price for himself and Nani was actually pretty decent. Just because he ended up the way he did doesn't mean the club was screwed.

KH25 wrote: »
    Anderson was rated as one of the best young players in the world when he signed. The price for himself and Nani was actually pretty decent. Just because he ended up the way he did doesn't mean the club was screwed.

We paid a combined £37M to bring the 2 of them from Portugese football in 2007 - an astronomical amount at the time for 2 teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Coat22 wrote: »
    We paid a combined £37M to bring the 2 of them from Portugese football in 2007 - an astronomical amount at the time for 2 teenagers.

Where is this fee coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I think some of you lads must work for the papers the way the conspiracy theory of pedro has been going, oh he's looking slightly to the left, must be leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You pay that for one player showing promise now in Europe. Everton holding out for £30m+ for Stones. A decent prospect, but some shaky **** last year.

Anderson and Nani were **** hot prospects when they arrived, argueably nowadays youd pay 35m a piece

By the way. Don't know if I read this right. Remember that guy Mvilla? Was linked with Arsenal for ages, and I know he came up frequently in here as someone to sort our midfield problems out. Talk about fall from grace.

Signed for Sunderland , got sent off in an under 21 game for loafing someone. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

KH25 wrote: »
    Anderson was rated as one of the best young players in the world when he signed.

No he wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And we won 2 leagues and got to 2 CL finals the first 2 seasons Nani and Anderson were at club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

£28.5m combined according to transferleague which is the best source of data around, though of course they do get some ones wrong.

that breaks down to £13.5 for Anderson and £15m for Nani.

the figures often branded about are in euro, but somehow lost into translation in pounds.

JamboMac wrote: »
    I think some of you lads must work for the papers the way the conspiracy theory of pedro has been going, oh he's looking slightly to the left, must be leaving.

In fairness its clearly something that's in discussion, and it doesn't take a genius to see him after the match last night looking very conflicted.

I'm sure like anyone playing for a big club, he wants to stay where he got so much success, but at the same time needs to get himself playing regularly if he is to figure in the Spanish squad for the Euros.

If things kept up the way they are, he would lose out on the right side to Mata or Navas down to playing time, even being superior to both in that position.

I'd imagine the reason United havn't "bid" yet is because Pedro hasn't decided. Transfers have totally changed. While it suits some presidents and chariman to play the old line of "we have received no bid" tapping up just isn't a thing anymore.

Discussions happen between prospective clubs and players long before an official bid gets lodged, so that hopefully its a quick process.

I'd imagine the moment Pedro signals he wants to leave, bid will go in and deal completed quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

GSPfan wrote: »
    No he wasn't.

Your right he was rated as the best young player in the world.

TheDoc wrote: »
    You pay that for one player showing promise now in Europe. Everton holding out for £30m+ for Stones. A decent prospect, but some shaky **** last year.

Anderson and Nani were **** hot prospects when they arrived, argueably nowadays youd pay 35m a piece

By the way. Don't know if I read this right. Remember that guy Mvilla? Was linked with Arsenal for ages, and I know he came up frequently in here as someone to sort our midfield problems out. Talk about fall from grace.

Signed for Sunderland , got sent off in an under 21 game for loafing someone. lol

Big difference between paying £30M for Stones, an England International in 2015 from a PL team (and with HG status?) and paying £37M for these two "prospects" from Portugal back in 2007. The market in 2015 is nothing like it was 8 years ago in terms of valuations due to new money, City, PSG, TV revenues etc.

I know they were highly rated at the time (at least in Alex spin) but it was still a huge sum to pay at the time for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No he wasn't.

He was. how many times does this need t be reiterated ?

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Your right he was rated as the best young player in the world.

Oh why oh why did I bring up Nani - should have known Nuts would be on the defence

And we won 2 leagues and got to 2 CL finals the first 2 seasons Nani and Anderson were at club

I'm just going to leave for a few hours now - if the mob has turned to defending Nani & Anderson as good value and trying to suggest they had any influence on the club winning any silverware during their time at OT then its time to take a break

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I'm just going to leave for a few hours now - if the mob has turned to defending Nani & Anderson as good value and trying to suggest they had any influence on the club winning any silverware during their time at OT then its time to take a break

Nani was key player in 2010-11 league winning season and you can deny all you want.

Dont think anyone is arguing about value, they were certainly worth a punt at the time and I was very happy when the deals were announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nani was, end of discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No he wasn't.

Unlike Januzaj, Anderson was indeed verifiably rated the most promising young player in the world.

Trilla wrote: »
    Nani was, end of discussion.

Anderson also made important contributions that I dont think should be overlooked regardless of how things turned out.

Big difference between paying £30M for Stones, an England International in 2015 from a PL team (and with HG status?) and paying £37M for these two "prospects" from Portugal back in 2007. The market in 2015 is nothing like it was 8 years ago in terms of valuations due to new money, City, PSG, TV revenues etc.

I know they were highly rated at the time (at least in Alex spin) but it was still a huge sum to pay at the time for kids.

Anderson had previously annihilated some tournament for Brazil, and Nani was being flaunted by the bloke who originally spotted Ronaldo.

Ferguson took many a punt on obscure young players, these two were one of the more solid and reliable in terms of what they were doing and how they could grow. Could have been so different for both. Anderson plagued by injury, but I remember plenty of occasion where he wasn't injured, and he was always an energetic monster in midfield.
    Nani seemed to struggle with critique that he wasn't Ronaldo, but had all his own merits.

Point I'm making is that as you saw market has changed and all that craic. Anderson or Nani came onto the scene now, they would fetch £30m+ a piece probably.

For all the **** we give Anderson, and I've been a pretty big critic. He was an incredible talent, had just blown up some tournament for Brazil and was really impressive when he arrived. I can understand why Ferguson persisted, in intervening season where he had spells of being fit, he was a little tease reminding everyone of what he could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

What complete and utter nonsense.

Nani was our player of the year in 2010/11, the year we passed out pool on league titles and made a champions league final.

He also scored and assisted a lot of vital match winning goals in his first season, a year we won the title so narrowly we were level with Chelsea going into the final day. Not to mention stepping up and scoring a peno in the shootout.

To suggest that roughly 15/16 million pound these days and getting 7 years out of a player in a period where we won 4 league titles, 2 league cups and a champions league is not value for money is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

£28.5m combined according to transferleague which is the best source of data around, though of course they do get some ones wrong.

that breaks down to £13.5 for Anderson and £15m for Nani.

the figures often branded about are in euro, but somehow lost into translation in pounds.

Both Porto and Sporting released official communications at the time listing the fees paid. Anderson went for €30m and Nani €25.5m, combined total of €55.5m which in 2007 amounted to ~£36.85m.

[Edit] I'm not making any comment on whether the fees paid represent value.

http://web3.cmvm.pt/english/sdi2004/emitentes/docs/FR13708.pdf

www.fcporto.pt/IncFCP/pdf/Investor_Relations/FactosRelevantes/VendaAnderson2junho07.pdf

http://www.xe.com/currencytables/?from=EUR&date=2007-06-06

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement