Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Will be good to see the Buddha Bar/Banana Tree unit used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭dodzy

January wrote: »
    Will be good to see the Buddha Bar/Banana Tree unit used again.
    Herself used to love that Banana Tree store. Twas a nice unit. Krispy Kreme ? Surely the main centre would have been a preferred location ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There wouldn't be any units of that size in the centre plus they'd be tied to the shopping centre opening hours - over in that unit they can open late if they wish. I don't know if they will but it's an option. It's also going to be very handy for people plugging in their electric cars to charge next to TGIs there. Starbucks is close by too but I'm sure Krispy Kreme will catch a few people's attention there.

Drive thru Krispy Kreme? They do it in the US anyway...

Yep planning application says drive through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭dodzy

January wrote: »
    Drive thru Krispy Kreme? They do it in the US anyway...

Yep planning application says drive through.

Aha!!! good spot J. That explains it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,530 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drive thru as a first store here is mental. Getting memories of Dunkin Donuts failing for the same reason - in petrol stations only.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dunkin' Donuts weren't just in petrol stations, they had a large enough shop on the corner of Grafton Street and Harry Street. They were also available in smaller shops as franchised stands, a bit like the odd Tim Horton's you see in some Spars. There was one in Stanley's newsagent in Harcourt Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,530 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zaph wrote: »
    Dunkin' Donuts weren't just in petrol stations, they had a large enough shop on the corner of Grafton Street and Harry Street. They were also available in smaller shops as franchised stands, a bit like the odd Tim Horton's you see in some Spars. There was one in Stanley's newsagent in Harcourt Street.

I'm clearly not old enough to remember much beyond the Esso stations then. 96/97 is when they all closed down.

Either way, having a drive thru as your first unit as a new entrant in a ridiculously crowded market where drive-thru is not even vaguely the done thing is still insane.

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm clearly not old enough to remember much beyond the Esso stations then. 96/97 is when they all closed down.

Either way, having a drive thru as your first unit as a new entrant in a ridiculously crowded market where drive-thru is not even vaguely the done thing is still insane.

You calling me old? :D

Yeah, it does seem odd to jump straight into the market at that level. I just read earlier that the Dublin Doughnut Company is closing next Saturday, so it's clear that competition is squeezing out some businesses. That said, it's strange that this is the first doughnut operation in Blanchardstown given the size of the place and the volume of people passing through. However I do think that a smaller unit in the centre itself would have been the better way to go as it would have the footfall, whereas the planned shop is out of the way and less likely to benefit from impulse purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think the drive-thru is only part of it though? i.e. it's a full sit-down cafe as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Drive thru as a first store here is mental. Getting memories of Dunkin Donuts failing for the same reason - in petrol stations only.

They weren't in petrol stations only. They had proper standalone stores with beverages and delis in Grafton Street, Rathmines, the Square, Ballyfermot, UCD, Janelle (as it was known at the time) and some others which I can't remember at the moment, I used to do business with them. Their bakery itself was in Cherry Orchard/Ballyfermot.

They then expanded into petrol stations, a business idea probably ahead of its time when you look at petrol stations these days. I'm not quite sure what happened to them afterwards, I know Lyons Tea owned the business at the time and maybe they just wanted out of anything other than their core business and nobody took on the franchise afterwards.

I too am baffled that there isn't a doughnut store in Blanchardstown yet, like Aungier Danger or that other place. We're also sorely lacking a Boojum or similar type establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'm beginning to wonder if some of the issue 're stores is the rent in Blanchardstown SC. I know that Dunnes own a lot of the units that end. I know the sweet shop owner had to close because of that. My mam bought Hilary Clinton's book in Easons for 23.99...I got it for 20.99 in Book Haven in Roselawn. Mam bought a Christmas decoration (I know early but my cousin has a very unusual name and you don't always see it) in Tierneys in Blanchardstown for 3.99...2.99 in Tierneys elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hmm, maybe ties into an email I got from 53 Degrees North.
    They are moving unit to a smaller unit beside DID.
    What unit is vacant there at the moment?
    We are Moving!

Our Blanchardstown store is moving. Don't worry we won't be going far. Our store is moving across the retail park to nextdoor to DID Electrical.

In preparation for the big move we are putting on our biggest sale to date. We want to clear our store of stock so drop by for up to 70% off!!

BLANCHARDSTOWN RELOCATION SALE
    STARTS 25th OCTOBER

Does the owner of the centre also own those outside units, probably looking for big rent increase.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They are moving to what used to be Home World, next door to Inspiring Ideas and DID. I saw the signage on it at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Cool, that only leaves who is going to move into that large unit.

Yes and it's a very sizeable unit! Will be interesting to see who moves in, hopefully it won't stay empty for long.

53 Degrees North used to use all floors when they first opened, they used to be a Specialized retailer so would have bikes and a lot more bike related stuff then than they do now.

I did wonder why they remained in their current premises for so long once they stopped using those other floors.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    53 Degrees North used to use all floors when they first opened, the used to be a Specialized retailer so would have a bikes and a lot more bike related stuff then than they do now.

I did wonder why they remained in their current premises for so long once they stopped using those other floors.

It's so long since I was in it, I didn't even realise they'd closed the upper floors. There used to be a smoothie/juice bar in there or a coffee shop too wasn't there?

Can't remember if there was a some sort of bar there, I just remember killing lots of time browsing around the various sections when they were all laid out for specific sport types. The middle floor used to be either skiiing/climbing and then switch to surfing, depending on the time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There was an Insomnia upstairs in 53degrees, yeah those closed off floor were a waste. Will be interesting to see who moves in. I'm delighted that tacky home ware shop has closed down, they had the most garish decorations and tat for sale as well as the most hideous cheapo ornaments ive ever seen!! Whoever bought them??!!

ongarboy wrote: »
    There was an Insomnia upstairs in 53degrees, yeah those closed off floor were a waste. Will be interesting to see who moves in. I'm delighted that tacky home ware shop has closed down, they had the most garish decorations and tat for sale as well as the most hideous cheapo ornaments ive ever seen!! Whoever bought them??!!

Great for Halloween costumes and Christmas decorations. Never visited otherwise. Probably why it went under

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ongarboy wrote: »
    There was an Insomnia upstairs in 53degrees, yeah those closed off floor were a waste.
    As mentioned earlier Next in West End is converting their unused storage space into a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

good move for 53 degrees. I spotted it at the weekend and figured they will actually more than likely do a better trade from that location as they will most certainly have more footfall passing the door. where they are now was the end of the line and you only went there with a purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

daymobrew wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier Next in West End is converting their unused storage space into a gym.

when did next close off a floor? up by the cafe is it?

They haven't closed off a floor, the homewares section is still there so it seems like it's floor space that's not accessible by the public at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well it looks like Bene restaurant in Ongar is reopening again in a few days as a trattoria Italian restaurant and wine bar called Papa Razzi according to their FB page. Great news and a perfect addition to Ongar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anybody go to that new Black Wolf pub? Facebook reviews don't make good reading.

RasTa wrote: »
    Anybody go to that new Black Wolf pub? Facebook reviews don't make good reading.

Can't see any reviews, good or bad, on their Facebook page. Where are you seeing them?

Fwiw, was there the week they opened and was very impressed with it. I had a burger that was decent enough and my wife had some excellent ribs. They also have a nice selection of craft beers, nothing earth-shattering but most people would find something they'd be happy with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement