Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't think there's any way to make it workable.
    It's simply a case of too many cars. Improving the road network locally will do little. It's a matter of getting more people on public transport, more people on bikes and more people in each car.

Shopping on a bike/public transport isn't practical in a lot of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Nor is asking half the street if they want to come too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

L1011 wrote: »
    The traffic will die down within a few weeks, donuts are a fad also and it'll basically just be a drive through coffee shop in people's eyes in a few years.

That they push a fairly simple donut as their flagship product shows they are aware of the insanely fancy stuff being short term really
    Krispy Kreme traffic will die down, but Christmas traffic will ramp up. It took the bus I was on a few weeks ago 30 minutes to get from the slip road by the hotel to the bus stop and out the other side. This was on a random weekday. The place is a nightmare when there’s even a slightly higher than normal amount of traffic.

From the middle of November to the middle of January the center is a complete no-go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

13 Thunders and 3 Mannings compared to 1 newly opened Krispy Kreme.... Logical argument.

Large shopping centres and shopping districts attract large brands... Plenty of local bakeries, cafes, etc... Dublin 8 is currently overrun with independent cafes but no one is waffling on about it on Boards.ie

All well in good for D8 but this is D15 new businesses. More sushi needed.

If you think they are here to only open one store then you are deluded.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    All well in good for D8 but this is D15 new businesses. More sushi needed.

If you think they are here to only open one store then you are deluded.

Opening more would ease the traffic at the current one so it would be a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Part of the traffic problem was roadworks on the Snugborough Road

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Patww79 wrote: »
    From the middle of November to the middle of January the center is a complete no-go.

From personal experience, the October bank holiday is when it usually goes to hell in a hand cart, start of Christmas shopping for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Traffic at the blanch center is indeed quite something. Given the center is in an entirely built up surrounding, the only solution really would be some sort of off-site park and ride gig; which I'm not sure people would love with their shopping.

An alternative for traffic alleviation in the area generally would, of course, be to sort the horrific junction at the Garda / petrol station. That junction I'd say contributes a lot to traffic congestion generally and specifically at acute times. To think, when it was planned the area was practically entirely green field from Springlawn to the center and even the new Garda station. They literally could have built anything there, and their solution was a junction with 4 minute lights.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    They literally could have built anything there, and their solution was a junction with 4 minute lights.

Same planners probably who thought it’s be a great idea to have a gym at a motorway interchange...!!!

But I think we’re getting a bit off topic here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Shopping on a bike/public transport isn't practical in a lot of cases.
    There are a good few cases where it is practical but I think that habit would stop many from considering using a bicycle. When I go to my monthly residents association meeting it is less than 1 mile away from my house. I am the only one that does not use a car!

I frequently cycle to the library to return/borrow books. I pick up some stuff in Lidl after a Saturday morning parkrun, often filling my 2 panniers.
    I carried a 10kg bag of rice home in one of my panniers recently (not from Blanch Centre). Ikea has a large pannier for 22 euro.

daymobrew wrote: »
    There are a good few cases where it is practical but I think that habit would stop many from considering using a bicycle. When I go to my monthly residents association meeting it is less than 1 mile away from my house. I am the only one that does not use a car!

I frequently cycle to the library to return/borrow books. I pick up some stuff in Lidl after a Saturday morning parkrun, often filling my 2 panniers.
    I carried a 10kg bag of rice home in one of my panniers recently (not from Blanch Centre). Ikea has a large pannier for 22 euro.

Yeah I’m sure it can be done in some cases and I do walk to the centre (15 mins) when I’m only picking up stuff that can be carried easily but for the weekly shop or if you have a few kids or a buggy, it’s not really an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Same planners probably who thought it’s be a great idea to have a gym at a motorway interchange...!!!

But I think we’re getting a bit off topic here.

The gym was there first. The planning mistake was building the interchange around it.

Hurrache wrote: »
    The gym was there first. The planning mistake was building the interchange around it.

I could be wrong but wasn’t the M50 envisaged long before the gym was built? No development should have been permitted in the vicinity of the proposed route or where the route was likely to go.

There was a wide section of land kept free of develoment along the M1 between Lorcan and Santry for years well before the M1 was built.

Forward thinking..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

The entrance for that Gym was not located where it was before the M50/N3 junction upgrade. It was accessible along the old tolka river road.

Its a nightmare that junction where the Gym is in peak traffic in the evening.

Before upgrade
    Screen_Shot_2018_09_28_at_14_46_43.png
    Now
    Screen_Shot_2018_09_28_at_14_47_26.png

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fatnacho

Would charging for the car parks not alleviate all the traffic around the centre? Too many D15 residents driving to it when it’s easily accessible by foot or public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Fatnacho wrote: »
    Would charging for the car parks not alleviate all the traffic around the centre? Too many D15 residents driving to it when it’s easily accessible by foot or public transport.

It's not easily accessed for the people of Mulhuddart or tyrellstown. One bus an hour thats cancelled at least 3 times a day

Access isn't the problem, it's getting stuff home by door or public transport. That's not an option no matter how close you live.
    You're speaking like the public transport options aren't anything other than abysmal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Access isn't the problem, it's getting stuff home by door or public transport. That's not an option no matter how close you live.

For a huge proportion of the people who visit the centre it is. The few light bags of shopping most people leave with is not difficult to get home by public transport, bike or on foot. Never mind the cinema and social visitors. Delivery services can take care of some heavy food shopping too.

The problem is access. The PT is poor and the roads are not nice to walk beside or cycle on.

I live in Ashtown, about equi-distant from the city centre and Blanch. I regularly go shopping in the city centre and I choose to bus/Luas it, especially with a buggy. It's far easier then the hassle of parking and hauling kid and buggy in and out of the car.

Blanch I always have to drive to because the PT is practically non-existant from here (and many places nearer).

The volumes Blanch attracts cannot be accommodated by cars, parking or a better road network. The only solution is PT and active transport.

People don't want to use buses if they've any other half decent option at all and nothing will change that. More buses will just mean more frequent horrible places to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

People don't want to use buses if they've any other half decent option at all and nothing will change that. More buses will just mean more frequent horrible places to be.

There is no other half decent option. Cars have long since ceased to be a half decent option when visiting the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The roads into and out of the Blanch Centre are all built so they overlap with all the main roads in and out of d15. So any local traffic crossing the area and not going to the centre has to use the same roads.

So not only does it cause grid lock for shopping traffic. It causes grid lock for local traffic. As it backs up all over the place.

It couldn't have been designed any better to cause gridlock if you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fatnacho

Anyone have any information on Taro and Swords Garden in Ongar? Sign says they’re closed because of electrical problems but a girl from the coffee shop beside it said there hasn’t been anyone in there trying to fix it. She didn’t think they’d be opening again. Shame cos it did nice food but that location doesn’t have a good track record for restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

LorelaiG wrote: »
    It's not easily accessed for the people of Mulhuddart or tyrellstown. One bus an hour thats cancelled at least 3 times a day

I live in Mulhuddart and I would walk to the centre. Takes about 15-20 mins. Not feasible if you are buying bulk items but for a few bits it's the easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Anyone have any information on Taro and Swords Garden in Ongar? Sign says they’re closed because of electrical problems but a girl from the coffee shop beside it said there hasn’t been anyone in there trying to fix it. She didn’t think they’d be opening again. Shame cos it did nice food but that location doesn’t have a good track record for restaurants

I'm really sorry to hear if that's the case. I loved some of Taro's food. Both places seemed fairly busy so can't understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm really sorry to hear if that's the case. I loved some of Taro's food. Both places seemed fairly busy so can't understand why.

Yeah, I only recommended Taro here a couple of days/pages ago, it would be a shame if they were gone, although I think the cafe beside it has the monopoly on casual dining in the village. The pizza place that was there before Taro, closed 'for a few days' due to oven problems IIRC, and then announced that they were closing down without ever opening again. There have been several chippers in that unit too, all closed within a couple of years each. That unit seems to be the kiss of death for whatever opens there. Anyway, I hope we're wrong, I'd be delighted to see Taro and Swords Garden back up and running soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

MOD NOTE: The madness of Krispy Kreme has been moved to it's own tasty thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Thankfully it was only temporary as it's open again as I passed it a few minutes ago. The adjoining Swords Garden Chinese takeaway is gone though but has been replaced with a combined Chinese/ Fish and chips takeaway simply called Diner. Glad to see a chipper in Ongar again ...as long as I can be disciplined as to how often I visit it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Thankfully it was only temporary as it's open again as I passed it a few minutes ago. The adjoining Swords Garden Chinese takeaway is gone though but has been replaced with a combined Chinese/ Fish and chips takeaway simply called Diner. Glad to see a chipper in Ongar again ...as long as I can be disciplined as to how often I visit it!!!

Owned by the same people who own chef around the corner now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Is it open yet?

Advertisement