Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Blanchardstown Centre wants a new supermarket to fix its convenience store 'deficiency' - Fora (via TheJournal.ie) - https://fora.ie/blanchardstown-centre-new-supermarket-4287213-Oct2018/

Not enough supermarkets in Blanch SC?? Would it be fair to say that most people in D15 would rather shop in a standalone supermarket with perhaps a mini mall (similar to Roselawn or Supervalu SC) where they can park close by and get in and out quick as opposed to driving into the traffic chaos madness every single week that is Blanch SC, spending 20 minutes trying to find a free parking space 10 minutes walk from Dunnes to so their weekly grocery shop?

It's fine for an occasional visit to buy clothes, a birthday or Xmas present or trip to cinema, pizza etc but I don't understand how some would want to go there weekly, navigating a full trolley through the crowds while queuing to drive in or out. The owners are now saying more people want to do that, hence the need for another supermarket!! The mind boggles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@ ongarboy
    What is "Xmas present" !?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Christmas present

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

rolion wrote: »
    @ ongarboy

I believe it is the one between Xmas Past and Xmas Future

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Is it open yet?

Opened on Monday. They don't have printed menu's yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

ongarboy wrote: »
    Blanchardstown Centre wants a new supermarket to fix its convenience store 'deficiency' - Fora (via TheJournal.ie) - https://fora.ie/blanchardstown-centre-new-supermarket-4287213-Oct2018/

Not enough supermarkets in Blanch SC?? Would it be fair to say that most people in D15 would rather shop in a standalone supermarket with perhaps a mini mall (similar to Roselawn or Supervalu SC) where they can park close by and get in and out quick as opposed to driving into the traffic chaos madness every single week that is Blanch SC, spending 20 minutes trying to find a free parking space 10 minutes walk from Dunnes to so their weekly grocery shop?

Have to agree with you, i love the Dunnes up there but would almost never go to it due to the hassle. The new owners seem to be mad keen to add extra retail space, hopefully the planners will do their job and stop any further expansion due to the local traffic problems that already exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Who looks after the planning for the area anyway? What's happening up in the center and things like that Maxol beside the N3 are a disgrace they're allowed without any traffic planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Maxol beside the N3 has little, if any affect, on traffic.

Hurrache wrote: »
    The Maxol beside the N3 has little, if any affect, on traffic.

Around it is an absolute mess in the mornings and evenings. Should have been a direct exit onto the N3 from the back of the car park and/or a roundabout/lights where you go back onto the link road to the N3 currently. Gets that hard to get out of the side roads in the mornings that people are just driving out under cars at this stage.

It's not that much of a mess, just busy. Coincidentally I was only passing by at lunch today and I swung in for a coffee. Both the car park and truck park had few empty spaces but there was negligible effect on anywhere outside of the premises.

Even before Maxol was there, coming from Mulhuddart Village it could have been difficult to either go left or right from that road due to the amount of traffic coming off the N3, or coming from the Damastown direction.

• Advertisement

It's not that much of a mess, just busy. Coincidentally I was only passing by at lunch today and I swung in for a coffee. Both the car park and truck park had few empty spaces but there was negligible effect on anywhere outside of the premises.

Even before Maxol was there, coming from Mulhuddart Village it could have been difficult to either go left or right from that road due to the amount of traffic coming off the N3, or coming from the Damastown direction.

Like I said, mornings. Why there's not an exit directly onto the N3 is madness. There's going to be a monster smash at the Mulhuddart road junction some morning.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Like I said, mornings. Why there's not an exit directly onto the N3 is madness. There's going to be a monster smash at the Mulhuddart road junction some morning.

Because it would be too dangerous.

There's the exit for Blanchardstown just after the long existing current exit for Damastown. It would have been extremely dangerous to add an entrance onto the N3 a matter of metres before the Blanchardstown exit.

There's no need for an exit onto the N3 from the service station.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It's fine for an occasional visit to buy clothes, a birthday or Xmas present or trip to cinema, pizza etc but I don't understand how some would want to go there weekly, navigating a full trolley through the crowds while queuing to drive in or out. The owners are now saying more people want to do that, hence the need for another supermarket!! The mind boggles!

hey Ongarboy

I tend to go to Ongar these days when I want to shop in Dunnes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Because some people go up there off peak (no queues)
    Its cheaper (mostly) than Roselawn or Supervalu SC
    Combine trip to Blanch SC for something else, with weekly shop.
    Roselawn can be pretty packed itself. Indeed the traffic to get to Roselawn or Supervalu SC can be bad at peak also.
    But like you said though we have switched to mainly local shops, and don't do big shops anymore. Its too time consuming. Also you over buy.

Hardly surprising if they are still stuffing more housing into the area when the transport network can't take it. But no one, especially the planners care. You could probably get planning permission for anything these days.
    Blanch SC is slap bang in the middle of the main routes in and out of D15 for non SC centre traffic, and much of local traffic. well done lads.

Because it would be too dangerous.

There's the exit for Blanchardstown just after the long existing current exit for Damastown. It would have been extremely dangerous to add an entrance onto the N3 a matter of metres before the Blanchardstown exit.

There's no need for an exit onto the N3 from the service station.

Then if it can't there's a roundabout or traffic calming needed below, as everyone is getting chancier and chancier there. People can't get out any more if they're not forcing someone on the main road to jam on. Was always a ridiculous place to build it with that road setup, a paw greased somewhere surely.

98u25c.jpg

It's a stretch to insinuate a bribe was made in order to get permission to build there, it's a perfectly suitable location for such a place. I agree a roundabout would go well in that spot though.

It's a stretch to insinuate a bribe was made in order to get permission to build there, it's a perfectly suitable location for such a place. I agree a roundabout would go well in that spot though.

Yeah fair enough, I'd be more inclined to go with the people making the decisions just not caring.

@ ongarboy

Google must have been down yesterday?

@ ongarboyWhat is "Xmas present" !?
    Google must have been down yesterday? Seriously never heard of Xmas?
    DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Thankfully it was only temporary as it's open again as I passed it a few minutes ago. The adjoining Swords Garden Chinese takeaway is gone though but has been replaced with a combined Chinese/ Fish and chips takeaway simply called Diner. Glad to see a chipper in Ongar again ...as long as I can be disciplined as to how often I visit it!!!

Is it open yet?

Sorry missed this post. Yes, the lights were on and folks inside on Sunday when I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Blanch centre used to have 2 supermarkets, when Roches Stores was in where Debenhams is now. The Dunnes always seems packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Blanch centre used to have 2 supermarkets, when Roches Stores was in where Debenhams is now. The Dunnes always seems packed.

It still has if you count the M&S foodhall.

Dunnes will torpedo any proposal for a midi convenience market the same way as they torpedoed the kiosks. Dunnes make the most of their status as anchor tenants in many centres and when they dont hold sway, they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Well i tried to get parking near the lidl in the westend part of the shopping centre at 4.30 yesterday and it was a total nightmare. I had to drive around for ages, even having to go up to the roundabout again and eventually got parking quite far from the shop.
    It ain't easy carrying grocery's long distances when you are heavily pregnant - i'd be reluctant to go there again.
    Hopefully the Castleknock Lidl will be open soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I've heard a rumour they are going to start charging for parking in the centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Jacinta086 wrote: »
    Well i tried to get parking near the lidl in the westend part of the shopping centre at 4.30 yesterday and it was a total nightmare. I had to drive around for ages, even having to go up to the roundabout again and eventually got parking quite far from the shop.
    It ain't easy carrying grocery's long distances when you are heavily pregnant - i'd be reluctant to go there again.
    Hopefully the Castleknock Lidl will be open soon

Good luck with that....Castleknock Lidl...no traffic :)

Lidl blakestown lidl tyrellstown lidl clonee probably all better and quicker to drive to than trying to go the centre in a weekend afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Saw at the weekend that Nespresso have a kiosk in the Centre now.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Saw at the weekend that Nespresso have a kiosk in the Centre now.

Saw that today too, not a coffee drinker so didn't even stop to look was only in the center two weeks ago so it's very recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

You can park at the back of Heaton's in Westend car park

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

fletch wrote:
    I've heard a rumour they are going to start charging for parking in the centre

Long overdue! And the charge must kick in for the first hour. That will encourage locals in D15 to use the bus to get to the Centre (Or walk).

• Advertisement

Long overdue! And the charge must kick in for the first hour. That will encourage locals in D15 to use the bus to get to the Centre (Or walk).

So locals can't get shopping home but people who live further away can? Away out of that, some bloody notions there.

Advertisement